Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Best and worst sandwich

Change Page: < 123456789 > | Showing page 7 of 9, messages 181 to 210 of 244
rwschemquest

• Total Posts: 65
RE: Best and worst sandwich Fri, 03/10/06 1:40 PM (permalink)
The BEST had to be the "Cheese Jaw" from the Dinglman Truck or Wimpy's wagon parked outside on the street between Watson and Delplain Halls at Syracuse University in the late 1960's... early 1970's. Nothing in the world like it. Two juicy grease drippin' cheesburgers on a small loaf of italian bread. Like getting a free quart of 10W 30 at the Valvoline Instant Oil Change place. Just tasted soooo good in the middle of the night after about 20 beers over in Jabberwocky (the burgers there sucked, but the beer was great at 50 cents for a huge cup).

The WORST -- anything with bean sprouts or green slimy stuff drippin out of it or anything with the meatless burgers -- those things are disgusting !!!!!

MandalayVA

• Total Posts: 367
    RE: Best and worst sandwich Sat, 03/11/06 3:03 AM (permalink)
    The best sandwich for me is a ham/salami/provolone sub from Orlando's in my hometown Colts Neck, NJ. Great bread, tons of meat and cheese and just the right amount of lettuce, tomato, oil and vinegar. They make the five-hour car trip between there and Richmond easily, I've found.

The worst had to be when I was in London and bought what was called a "chicken curry sandwich" at a Tube station. It literally looked like vomit on a stale baguette. And it tasted worse.

stevencarry

• Total Posts: 359
      RE: Best and worst sandwich Sat, 03/11/06 3:11 AM (permalink)
      Pret a Manger in London, I love that chicken curry sando. But i'll bet your
      Jersey one was good too. I'm versatile.

MandalayVA

• Total Posts: 367
        RE: Best and worst sandwich Sat, 03/11/06 9:11 PM (permalink)
        This was almost eighteen years ago, but I'm pretty sure the offending sandwich wasn't Pret a Manger. I did have another chicken curry sandwich at some stand in Camden down the street from my hotel which was really good.

jchiszar

• Total Posts: 16
          RE: Best and worst sandwich Sun, 03/12/06 6:17 PM (permalink)
          One of the best sandwiches I ever had was at a now forgotten place in San Jose, CA.
          Pounded abalone on toasted white bread with a smidg of tarter sauce. You got that, an ice cream scoop of macaroni salad, and ice tea....for $20.00.

Worth every dime.,

dadetigl

• Total Posts: 116
            RE: Best and worst sandwich Sun, 03/12/06 8:10 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

I don't really agree with you on that rueben and pastrami choice being my personal best, but you're referring to "Original Pierre Maspero's" 440 Chartres. Its hard to find bad food in New Orleans and I hope to see the day when I can return. I'm afraid my old favorite Uglesich will be joining my beloved Chez Helene as places that exist only in memories. I still have Irene's Cuisine and Coop's as re-opened destinations and that great new place I havn't tried yet

dadetigl

RE: Best and worst sandwich Sun, 03/12/06 8:22 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

I don't really agree with you on that rueben and pastrami choice being my personal best, but you're referring to "Original Pierre Maspero's" 440 Chartres. Its hard to find bad food in New Orleans and I hope to see the day when I can return. I'm afraid my old favorite Uglesich will be joining my beloved Chez Helene as places that exist only in memories. I still have Irene's Cuisine and Coop's as re-opened destinations and that great new place I havn't tried yet

I'm sorry to hear Chez Helene's has closed. Back in the mid 70's, we would go there on Sunday afternoon at least once a month. I always got the stuffed pork chops and cheese macaroni. Delicious. I heard the fried chicken was great, but always ordered the pork chops. Full meal that a student could afford.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                RE: Best and worst sandwich Sun, 03/12/06 8:58 PM (permalink)
                Not only did the Chez close, Austin Leslie suffered a fatal heart attack shortly after the Katrina hit. For students of fine 70's television, the Chez was the model for the restaurant on the show "Frank's Place" and Austin was the model for his chef, Big Arthur, on the show. IMHO there has never been a better fictional tv show that was themed somehow with food.
                http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/F/htmlF/franksplace/franksplace.htm

lennonlover2005

• Total Posts: 62
                  RE: Best and worst sandwich Sun, 03/12/06 9:04 PM (permalink)
                  My favorite sandwich was the veggie burger at Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger in Ann Arbor Michigan. You can get anything on it like you can with the burgers! My fiance says go for the triple cheddar with with everything.
                  Does anyone remember that sandwich lady who was helped out by Oprah? Apparently Oprah loved her sandwich so much that she saved this woman from closing her place. I would like to know where this place is and what the sandwich had on it. I saw that episode on TV and the sandwich looked amazing!

dadetigl

RE: Best and worst sandwich Sun, 03/12/06 9:12 PM (permalink)
                    All of my best sandwiches are from the past in New Orleans. I lived there off and on from 1973-1986. I guess I just love Po-Boys.
                    70's---Domilise's Shrimp po-boy with hot sauce
                    Early 80's--- Mother's Ferdi Special with debris. Roast beef and swiss Po-boy with gravy at Acey's Pool Hall. Washed down with a couple of Dixie beers.
                    We left in '86 and wanted to go back after 20 yrs., Katrina made a mess of it. I absolutely love NOLA. Hope to go back soon.
                    Worst sandwich was in a shop at the north end of Camden, Maine last year. Ordered a Lobster roll that turned out to be one of the most rubbery, tasteless sandwiches I have ever had. Expensive, too.
                    Another good sandwich is the Club Sandwich at Reilly's Pub north on Hilton Head Island.

stevencarry

• Total Posts: 359
                      RE: Best and worst sandwich Sun, 03/12/06 9:15 PM (permalink)
                      LennonLover2005, I believe it was a Chicken Curry from a place in San Luis Obispo ,Ca
                      near Santa Barbara where Oprah lives in nearby Montecito

Here it is , I found it (us roadfooders take of each other)
                      If you search favorite sandwich on oprah.com there are other storys

http://www.oprah.com/omagazine/200411/omag_200411_food_sandwich.jhtml

dadetigl

RE: Best and worst sandwich Sun, 03/12/06 9:38 PM (permalink)
                        My wife and I loved Frank's Place, being from NO. We have all of them on tape though they are starting to disintigrate. I always thought it was Dookie Chase, but now that I remember Sunday's after church, I can see Chez Helene (or maybe I just forgot. age) in Frank's Place. Back in the 70's there were neighborhood restaraunts that everyone in the area went to. But, if they were good, people would go out of their way and drive to them. This was one of those.
                        Popeye's mid-70's at Washington and Napolean. The almost original, the best.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                          RE: Best and worst sandwich Thu, 03/16/06 5:11 PM (permalink)
                          So, now that the 2nd Avenue Deli is no more, who has the best pastrami sandwich in NYC?
                          The Bear

club_soda_and_salt

• Total Posts: 4
                            RE: Best and worst sandwich Sun, 03/26/06 1:54 AM (permalink)
                            the best sanwich i have ever had is a chicken mozzarella sun dried tomato panini with pesto sauce from cafe paccino, its simply fantastic... the worst i have ever had was at subway, i odered a blt, the bread was stodgy, the bacon was plasticy and the veg tasted of sugar, they should be put out of business from crimes against the sandwich community ... just to throw it out there also ....... WHAT MAKES A GOOD SANDWICH??

meep2g

• Total Posts: 3
                              RE: Best and worst sandwich Wed, 05/24/06 6:27 PM (permalink)
                              the worlds worst sandwich is a nathans hot dogs steak and cheese. I got one in washington and it was the #1 worst thing i have ever ate. I couldnt even finish it.

On another note, the best sandwitch i have had is the super grinder at a little market along the beach in Westerly, Rhode Island. It is 11 different slices of thickly cut deli meats, every kind they have. I get it with lettuce, oil, pickles, tomato, salt, pepper and american cheese. The pepper there is actually a real treat, i dont know why, but it just tastes so good and is thickly ground. Also the american cheese is under te meats and when they give it a light toasting it doesnt melt, and it gets this really good texture where it is sort of creamy. SOOOO good

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                RE: Best and worst sandwich Sat, 06/3/06 6:11 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by meep2g

the worlds worst sandwich is a nathans hot dogs steak and cheese. I got one in washington and it was the #1 worst thing i have ever ate. I couldnt even finish it.

On another note, the best sandwitch i have had is the super grinder at a little market along the beach in Westerly, Rhode Island. It is 11 different slices of thickly cut deli meats, every kind they have. I get it with lettuce, oil, pickles, tomato, salt, pepper and american cheese. The pepper there is actually a real treat, i dont know why, but it just tastes so good and is thickly ground. Also the american cheese is under te meats and when they give it a light toasting it doesnt melt, and it gets this really good texture where it is sort of creamy. SOOOO good

I've had a lot of Nathan's hot dogs at Coney Island and other places, the others are not as good. I've never had a Nathan's hot dog steak and cheese, do not think I would like that either.

John

Brookerme

• Total Posts: 52
                                  RE: Best and worst sandwich Sat, 06/3/06 7:49 AM (permalink)
                                  Best: recently got the special at Park Ave Cafe in NYC. Sliced lamb tenderloin with carmelized onions and goat cheese on grilled focacia with a little aoli mayo. Ambrosia.

Worst: Hawaiian sandwich in my college cafeteria. grilled cheese with ham and pineapple. Ham with so much gristle that when you bit into the sandwich you'd pull out the whole slice. 30 years ago and I'll still never order one.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                    RE: Best and worst sandwich Wed, 06/28/06 5:15 AM (permalink)
                                    Worst sandwich I ever had was at a "deli" on South James Street in Rome, NY about 11 years ago. I ordered the reuben and got 1 slice of corned beef, 1 slice of swiss, no saurkraut, no dressing on dry rye bread. I looked at the guy behind the counter like he was crazy. I gave it back and refused to pay for it. If you work at a deli and don't know how to make a reuben, find a new career!
                                    The best sandwich? That's hard, as I happily am a food geek and keep a list of my best sandwich experiences over the years. Its a toss-up between the roast pork at Tony Luke's on 9th Ave in NYC, homemade lobster rolls at my aunt's place in New Harbor, ME, the ham salad sandwich on Columbus Bakery bread at the Brooklyn Pickle in Syracuse, and the Reuben at Big Daddy's Subs on N. James Street in Rome, NY.

Coastal Southern

• Total Posts: 64
                                      RE: Best and worst sandwich Wed, 06/28/06 9:23 AM (permalink)
                                      Worst: An Olive and cheese sandwich on a train while backpacking in Europe. It was two slices of cheap, old white bread with one slice of a soft white cheese with olives running throughout (like an olive loaf meat). Worst part is, i ate the whole thing. Youth.

Best: Cracked conch burger (really more like a sandwich) on Elbow Cay in the Bahamas. Conch that has been cleaned and tenderized, and then battered and fried to golden brown. Served with homemade tarter, tomato and lettuce.

markie205

RE: Best and worst sandwich Sun, 01/21/07 12:28 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by CraigieFresh

There is a restaurant in the Poconos in a town called Kresgeville, PA called Platz's. They have the most incredible buffalo shrimp...huge butterflied jumbo shrimp, battered and covered in a spicy buffalo sauce sent down from heaven. Platz's also makes a mean cheesesteak. What I like to do is order a cheesesteak and also an order of buffalo shrimp. I take the tails off the shrimp and stuff them into the cheesesteak. Then I cover the whole sandwich in homemade bleu cheese dressing. I call this sandwich "The Defender".

One time while eating "The Defender" my uterus fell out.

Yes, Platz' is worth the ride, both for the food and the local diners.

For NE Pennsylvania travelers, Platz' is only a couple of hundred yards from the Lehighton/Route 209 exit of the PA Turnpike Northeast extension (the first exit north of Allentown). Ask the toll taker to point you in the right direction.

Ranger Steve

• Total Posts: 30
                                          RE: Best and worst sandwich Fri, 02/2/07 9:33 PM (permalink)
                                          The worst sandwiches around are the roast beef at Roy Rogers. They used to be good, but Roy died and so did the quality of the food.

The tongue on rye bread that I had at the Carnegie Deli in NYC 20 years ago still lives in my memory. You don't see tongue for sale anymore. Why?

The fried shrimp poor boy that I had recently at the Spinning Wheel Diner (Route 22 inbetween Lebanon and White House, New Jersey was really good, but made for clumsy eating.

The Deli Works - Route 31, north of FLemington, NJ and across from the Hunterdon Medical Center has really great subs. A full sub is about a foot and a half long and 6 inches wide.

russ2304

• Total Posts: 261
                                            RE: Best and worst sandwich Mon, 01/21/08 1:41 PM (permalink)
                                            Don't know if this is best thread for this,however,I have just had the WORST pastrami sandwich I have ever had,anywhere where great deli exists,at the newly re-opened 2nd
                                            Ave. Deli in NYC. To the look --perfection beautiful marbled meat (almost Kobe like)peppered outside all looked incredible.Ordered on rye w/mustard took first bite and both my wife and I were silent and crest fallen----there was absolutely no taste at all to the meat. I mean zero----texture was incredible---no taste-----we couldn't believe it. None of that wonderful smokey robust brisket taste associated with great pastrami but-no taste at all. Great sour pickles ---passable potatoe knish---zero pastrami and two sodas-for thirty bucks--------never again.What a disappointment.Oh well Artie's on Upper West Side here we come.

MiamiDon

RE: Best and worst sandwich Mon, 01/21/08 1:53 PM (permalink)
                                              Well, since the thread has been revived...

The worst sandwiches have probably been from machines, or roach coaches, or 7-11's. But at an actual restaurant:

A couple of years ago, I went to a diner called The Flamingo, a mile up US-1, in Palmetto Bay, and ordered a reuben sandwich for lunch. The cook must have got his training at one of those "steak sub" places that chops up the beef on a flat-top grill. The filling for the sandwich seemed like it had been run through a blender. Ick! They have since closed.

The best was a muffaletta at the Napoleon House in the French Quarter in New Orleans.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4722
                                                RE: Best and worst sandwich Mon, 01/21/08 1:57 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Brookerme

Worst: Hawaiian sandwich in my college cafeteria. grilled cheese with ham and pineapple. Ham with so much gristle that when you bit into the sandwich you'd pull out the whole slice. 30 years ago and I'll still never order one.

When I was in college the campus dining hall served a sandwich that was called "Poppyseed Surprise". Canadian bacon (the round slices like McDonald's uses) and Swiss-style processed cheese on a white burger bun that had been topped with poppyseeds and minced onion and brushed with some sort of oily yellow substance (probably melted margarine or something similar). But while I loathed Poppyseed Surprise (largely because of the onion, which couldn't be picked off without taking large chunks of bun with it) I had friends who would eat 4 or 5 of them at a meal.

Brad

Rapunzll

• Total Posts: 314
                                                  RE: Best and worst sandwich Mon, 01/21/08 2:18 PM (permalink)
                                                  I hope I haven't already posted this, but when I went to visit my son when he lived in Tacoma WA, he took me to what looked like a convenience store, but when I ate the sandwich they made for me....... OMG it was great! http://www.yelp.com/biz/msm-deli-tacoma#hrid:d7_TFfVej6ZqNdQ-vLhtVg

wmceaton

• Total Posts: 313
                                                    RE: Best and worst sandwich Mon, 01/21/08 3:15 PM (permalink)
                                                    Best sandwich for me is the "small" pastrami @ Harolds in Edison, NJ. Words cant describe the delight of the first bite into one of those, so i'm not even going to try.
                                                    Worst sandwich ever was at a "deli" in Troy, NH at the rotary. Asked for a corned beef sandwich with mustard. I got 2 slices of conrned beef & cheap yellow on Wonder Bread...now I know why there is a waiting period for guns.

Navy_Brat913

• Total Posts: 179
                                                      RE: Best and worst sandwich Thu, 01/24/08 12:21 PM (permalink)
                                                      Best sandwich: Coming up with a tie.

1.Years ago, before the quality of Schlotzky's went WAY down, I loved their original on jalapeno cheese bread. I have noticed the jalapeno cheese bread was always more moist and flavorful than their basic sourdough. And, like Subway, not all Schlotzky's are the same. The one I had in San Diego was hands down the best, the worst was in Mobile, AL. The one in Washington, DC isn't too bad, and the one in Ann Arbor, MI was so so.

2.There is a deli in Springfield, VA (about 5 miles from me) called Bozzeli Bros Deli. They serve pasta, pizza, sandwiches and subs. I have never eaten anything but the subs, and they are the best. Their most popular is my favorite, a pepperoni, steak and provolone sandwich, served hot with thinly sliced white onions, hot pepper relish, tomato and lettuce. Most get theirs with mayo, I love mine with mustard. It's messy as all getout, but god is it heaven. The secret is that like Salumi, they use only top quality meats, although they don't cure it themselves like the owner of Salumi does, they get their meats from a small distributor, not from a huge chain. Even their plain ham or turkey sandiwches are fantastic, and even better the second time around. More expensive than Subway, lol, but so much better there is no comparison.

Bad? Nothing that is burned into my memory. I love sandwiches, and like pizza, have never had one bad enough that it comes to mind.

not the phantom gourmet

• Total Posts: 14
                                                        RE: Best and worst sandwich Thu, 02/7/08 9:27 AM (permalink)
                                                        The best? That`s a hard one but one of them has to be a large roast beef with barbecue sauce,mayo and cheese from Kelly`s in Revere Ma. though it`s hard to find a bad roast beef anywhere around here.The absolute worst was from a chain called Mike`s Subs that was around here (very) briefly in the 80s. I got something called a "Hot Luke" that was billed as a "Fiesta of steak,mushrooms,onions and peppers" when I got home with it I couldn`t believe my eyes to see that I had purchased a 2nd rate sub roll with 2 small stips of steak,a couple of canned mushrooms,a couple of pepper strips and no onion.For one of the few times in my life I was disgusted enough to call and complain,which got me nowhere.These "subs" were billed as being "From the Province de Quebec",all I can say is if this is Canadas idea of a sandwich I pity them.

Big Kahuna Kooks

• Total Posts: 490
                                                          • Location: palm beach, FL
                                                          RE: Best and worst sandwich Mon, 02/18/08 12:47 PM (permalink)
                                                          Best: Rueben sandwich at a small local diner Seagulls in West Palm Beach. It was perfect from the size, to the butter oozing out from the grilled bread to the perfect amount of meat, cheese, kraut and dressing. It was hefty but not humongous....
                                                          bkk

hawgbones

• Location: noblesville, IN
                                                            RE: Best and worst sandwich Sat, 02/23/08 3:40 PM (permalink)
                                                            Any sandwich at Dagwoods Subs in Bloomington, IN. They are huge. It was my Sunday night treat while I was going to IU. Best way to start off a week.

Worst sandwich when ever anyone sneaks a sliced tomato in and I don't catch it. Ruins the whole sandwich for me.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456789 > | Showing page 7 of 9, messages 181 to 210 of 244

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com