Best and worst sandwich

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
Author
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
2003/07/15 18:21:57 (permalink)

Best and worst sandwich

Ok---was reading thruogh the sandwich forums and was reminded of the worst and best sandwhich i ever BOUGHT.Oddly enough they were at opposite ends of the country.Worst---when i first went of to California--back in 68--i ordered a corned beef sandwhich at what was called a "Deli" in San Francisco--what i got was dry corned beek in chunks that were fried on a hot grill and seved on white bread with salad dressing with soggy lettuce and a cardboard tomatoe.I almost started to hitchhike home to Boston.

the Best-----MIT's student union served the most magnificent Rueban i ever ate----huge-perfectly cooked with butter,kraut that wasnt soggy but still crisp,wonderfull swiss cheese and on Marbled rye that was hand sliced of HUGE loaves. Im going home to viset this year for the Christmas holidays----wonder if they still have them!

You know now that i think abit maybe the best was that Muffalatta in Norlins----or wait----the pastrami at Arts in La or maybe the.........
damn----this is harder then i thought.

Any---whats your best and worst?

243 Replies Related Threads

kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/07/15 19:29:19 (permalink)
    Some of the worst sandwiches I have ever been served have been on airplanes. It's perhaps not really fair to turn this into a discussion of how bad airline food can be, but I have been lucky with sandwiches my entire life. Never had a glaringly bad one that I ordered. One of the worst offending airline sandwiches was also corned beef. It was served on a perfectly respectable kaiser roll, but the slices of corned beef had that shiny rainbow effect. I pointed this out to the stewardess who brought me another one, but it, too, suffered from prismatic persecution. She said they were all like that and she assured me it wasn't spoiled. I've seen this in deli meat sometimes - anyone know what causes it? Anyway, the sandwich did not taste rotten or anything, but it was the dullest, most flavorless corned beef you could imagine. I managed one bite and asked the stewardess for extra peanuts instead. She was embarassed and brought me 2 bags of peanuts and some honey mustard pretzels. Honorable mention for worst sandwich also goes to a BBQ beef sandwich served in the sky. It was on yellow roll, and the BBQ beef was not at all smoked, but was chopped grisly roast beef drenched in sickly-sweet BBQ sauce that tasted worse than 99 cent supermarket BBQ sauce. Makes me shudder to even think about it.

Best sandwich ever? It's a tie between the Chicken Parmesan sandwich served at the Corona Heights Pork Store in Corona, Queens and some of New York's best meatball heroes with melted mozzarella. When done properly these meatball subs are both soggy from the sauce and crispy around the edges from being heated in a pizza oven (usually) because often it is pizza parlors that do them best. There is no one best in my opinion for these meatball sandwiches, because several places turn out great ones which get it exactly right. I like when they leave the meatballs whole and use the bread to crush them a bit but not completely. Often I will ask them to leave the meatballs whole, and I may offer to pay a buck or two extra if they say that leaving them whole means they will have to use more meatballs to insure I have some in every bite. Some places serve them whole to begin with. I love it when restaurants get my sandwich exactly right. If it looks right, it has a better chance of tasting right, I think.
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/07/15 21:41:48 (permalink)
    *drool*

Best Sandwich is a no-brainer. I'd heard about this new place in Seattle called Salumi. All I knew was that they only served lunch, the owner was Mario Batali's dad, and there were lots of "variety meats" - read "snips and trimmings and parts".

I came in, the place was packed (which takes all of six people), and there's this guy behind the counter slicing these succulent deli meats and handing out slices to the people in line. The depth of flavor was astonishing; I'd never had anything like that on the west coast. After ordering about $40 worth of meats to go, I ordered an oxtail sandwich. He split a bolo roll from one of the better local bakeries, spread it with pesto, and topped it with meat pulled off long-simmered oxtails with a hint of orange peel, and smothered the whole thing in sauteed onions and peppers.

I got out to the car, and prepared to get on the freeway. As I started to eat the sandwich, my eyes bugged out. I had never had anything this good between two pieces of bread in my life. It was like all the collagen in all the beef in the world had come to find my sandwich. I was in tears. I actually pulled off the road to eat the rest and nearly licked the wax off the paper trying to get the last succulent drops of juice.

The *worst* sandwich I ever had was also one of the most plentiful. Due to crappy scheduling, a former employer had me on 9 Delta "snack" flights in three days, and on *every single one* of them, the snack was "half a turkey sandwich on a bagel, slice of cheese, apple, SunChips, mini-Snickers Bar". By flight 7, I was reaching in, removing the Snickers, and returning the rest to the Flight Attendant. Erma Bombeck once wrote of carving her name into the hard roll at a hotel in Europe and sending it back, only to have it show up again three countries later. I am utterly convinced that, had I a Sharpie, that sandwich would have followed me like papparazzi following J.Lo.

As for the rainbow effect, it's caused by oxidized oil films on the surface of the meat. I'm pretty sure McGee explains it in his book _On Food And Cooking_.

Eric
    ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/07/15 23:36:58 (permalink)
    The worst sandwhich I ever had was a rueban at the local Friendlys This past January. It was made by my waitress because they were short of help in the kitchen (alarms should have gone off when I was told this) It tasted so so, it had all the ingrediants plus one. This sandwhich gave me food poisoning. Definitely the worst sandwhich I've ever had.

The best sandwhich is a tuff one, I've had some good ones. I'll have to say though the best was eaten at home. Freshly made shrimp salad on fresh rye bread. The shrimp in big chunks & piled high. I've got some shrimp in the freezer, maybe I should....
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/07/16 03:13:05 (permalink)
    Maybe I talk about it too much, but the stuffed crab sandwich at Felix's in New Orleans is the best sandwich in the world! Here in LA, it would have to be the Gumbo Pot's blackened catfish sandwiches with paper-thin slices of lemon inside.

The worst: I was racing between jobs and grabbed a plastic sealed packaged tuna sandwich in a gas station snack shop (what was I thinking?). I ended up having to pull over (I'll spare the details)
    Tommy B
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 144
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/07/16 06:34:40 (permalink)
    There is a place called A & A Deli in Lincoln Park New Jersey. This place is simply incredible and fantastic!
    My favorite is their Eggplant, fresh mozzarella, roasted peppers, broccoli rabe in garlic and olive oil,
    all wonderfully tucked into focaccia or "wrap style" in a tortilla. Simply the best deli I have seen in
    north Jersey. I think the worst sandwich I've had was from 7 Eleven, one of those pre made things.
    It was dry bread, and the turkey breast had a "funky"ness, that prevented me from eating it.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/07/16 06:50:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kangolpimp

Some of the worst sandwiches I have ever been served have been on airplanes. It's perhaps not really fair to turn this into a discussion of how bad airline food can be, but I have been lucky with sandwiches my entire life. Never had a glaringly bad one that I ordered. One of the worst offending airline sandwiches was also corned beef. It was served on a perfectly respectable kaiser roll, but the slices of corned beef had that shiny rainbow effect. I pointed this out to the stewardess who brought me another one, but it, too, suffered from prismatic persecution. She said they were all like that and she assured me it wasn't spoiled. I've seen this in deli meat sometimes - anyone know what causes it? Anyway, the sandwich did not taste rotten or anything, but it was the dullest, most flavorless corned beef you could imagine. I managed one bite and asked the stewardess for extra peanuts instead. She was embarassed and brought me 2 bags of peanuts and some honey mustard pretzels. Honorable mention for worst sandwich also goes to a BBQ beef sandwich served in the sky. It was on yellow roll, and the BBQ beef was not at all smoked, but was chopped grisly roast beef drenched in sickly-sweet BBQ sauce that tasted worse than 99 cent supermarket BBQ sauce. Makes me shudder to even think about it

I was flying from New Orleans to LA and they had some pizza thing that was so incredibly bad I was praying we would crash so I could eat my fellow passengers instead. I asked the flight attendant, "Is this the worst thing ever served?" She responded, "Oh no, we have BBQ beef sandwich that is disgusting. Everyone hates it."
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/07/30 08:00:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

Maybe I talk about it too much, but the stuffed crab sandwich at Felix's in New Orleans is the best sandwich in the world! Here in LA, it would have to be the Gumbo Pot's blackened catfish sandwiches with paper-thin slices of lemon inside.

The worst: I was racing between jobs and grabbed a plastic sealed packaged tuna sandwich in a gas station snack shop (what was I thinking?). I ended up having to pull over (I'll spare the details)

Felix's!!!!!God how i miss that place!!Lived there in 72 and would stop there every day on the way to work for oysters----and i can taste that sandwhich now!!!! Thanks for the memories!!!---(and thank you Bob Hope for the line---you will be missed!)
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/07/30 08:20:44 (permalink)
    I do not think you have to worry about airline food much longer. I fly Delta almost exclusively and you have to fly almost coast to coast before they serve anything anymore.

I never did like airline food or their sandwiches, but I used a portion of it as an appetizer with my adult beverage

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7290
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/07/30 13:02:10 (permalink)
    My friends call me the sandwich Queen.....I made some good ones out on the boat last weekend.......freshly baked ciabatta bread with homemade olive spread, prosciutto, roasted peppers, fresh mozzarella, garden tomatoes, basil leaves. They were yummy. A good pulled pork sandwich with North Carolina BBQ sauce is killer too.
    Mother's in NO gets my vote for best sandwich not made in my kitchen.......a debris or oyster po'boy....hard to beat that except maybe a pastrami or corned beef in a real NY deli.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18866
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/07/30 13:18:04 (permalink)
    I was in Charleston, West Virginia and staying at a Holiday Inn back in 1965. I was in a hurry and needed to grab a quick lunch. I checked the menu in the motel dining room and decided to order the "Kosher corned beef" sandwich. When it arrived, it was on white bread, slathered with mayonnaise, and topped with American cheese, lettuce, tomato and onion. I lost my appetite, paid the check, and headed off for my appointment.
    John W
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/07/30 16:11:44 (permalink)
    My friend Susan's dad who worked at deli counters in NYC is quoted "Don't buy pastrami outside of NYC."
    My favorite sandwich might have been a Hot Turkey Sandwich (with green gravy) at Rose's diner on Rt 40 in Elkton, MD circa 1960 or a meatball sandwich at a bar just off the boardwalk at Ocean City when I was about 13.
    I had a very memorable concoction in the UK this Spring, a pub in Winterborne Gunner and I don't know if it was their creation or not: cranberry, Stilton, and bacon. I can't forget the cheesesteaks on South Street, Philly or Mrs Proffitt's barbecue at the Ridgewood.
    The worst: maybe the hot pork sandwich at a Greek eatery/counter on the docks of NYC awaiting an Australian aunt on the Queen Elizabeth.
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/07/30 17:30:41 (permalink)
    I say don't buy a cheesesteak outside of the Philly/So. Jersey/Central Jersey/Delaware area. The best sandwich is a cheesesteak from that part of the world and the worst is a cheesesteak (or steak and cheese as it's called everywhere else) made anywhere outside of that area.
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/07/30 19:09:14 (permalink)
    this is embarrassing!! Hasn't anyone been to Arthur Bryans in KC or Katz's deli in NYC for a pastrami? How about wrapping your lips around one of Legal seafood's soft shell crab sandwiches in beantown?
    I find I cannot continue, I must seek out Mel's Hotdogs(Tampa,FL)for some spiritual fortification
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7290
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/08/01 02:06:28 (permalink)
    Yep, Legal Seafoods has a great soft shell crab sandwich. Whilst in Beantown, go to Yankee Lobster and try either the lobster roll or crabmeat roll.......both the lobstermeat and crabmeat are hand picked on the premises. Best lobster and crab in New England.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/08/01 03:45:35 (permalink)

As for the rainbow effect, it's caused by oxidized oil films on the surface of the meat. I'm pretty sure McGee explains it in his book _On Food And Cooking_.

Eric

I won't eat "shiny ham", but my brother insists that iridescence is evidence of proper aging and many gourmands will not eat meats until they attain iridescence. The gourmands can have it.

-Elise, whose mother thinks she's fussy and spoiled when she won't eat the white ends on the cheddar cheese.
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/10/05 02:01:48 (permalink)
    Easy question.

The best: the Reuben at Kahn's (or Alfred's) in the Village in Houston. Michael Kahn's father opened Alfred's in the Village in 1948; Michael carries on in a hole-in-the-wall deli just down the street from the original location. Everytime I've had one, Michael himself makes it. Corned beef piled high with sauerkraut, swiss and Russian Dressing on rye. It's $7.50, but one is easily enough for two people, especially along with Kahn's excellent potato salad, a kosher dill half (and a Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray tonic).

The worst: the 'original' Schlotzsky's (or whatever they call it) on my one and only visit to one of those places. Why on earth anyone would want to eat a sandwich on bread as hard and tough as the fiberboard they use in place of plywood, I don't know. This was also around Clara Peller's heyday and I was tempted to shout out 'Where's the filling?'
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/10/05 08:17:03 (permalink)
    not an easy thing,this best and worst,but here goes
    the best(I must name 3) ,pastrami at NYC's 'Katz's...roast beef sub at Tampa.fl 'SUBWORLD'......and dear old mom's(may God rest her soul) open faced grilled cheese with bacon and tomato
    the worst?......burger kings chicken fiasco
    Craig328
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/10/05 17:12:32 (permalink)
    Never met a sandwich I didn't like. Best sandwich ever was the 1.25/Lb Lobster Tails I used to put on Toasted and Garlic Buttered Hotdog Rolls I ate as a Chef apprentice. Some days I would eat three-four using the rest of the lobster for appetizers and salads. The resturaunt owner never caught on as half the kitchen staff stuffed themselves with prime seafood. Only more decedent were the U8 Shrimp we used to Scampi followed by Fresh Chucked Oysters and Vodka Shooters.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/10/05 18:17:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by familydok

One of my favorite wiches was a Muffalata (sp?) in The Big Easy at (I think) Frank's Place. Of course most anything in New Orleans is good!

I believe "Franks Place"only existed as one of the coolest TV shows ever about a)New Orleans b) The Real Life Chez Helene Restaurant. But, as per usual, I stand waiting to be corrected

I like the muffelettas from Central Grocery, The Napoleon House, and oddly enough Vasquez (a cuban grocery and restaurant on the Northshore as well as in New Orleans). I am pretty sure that the key is the olive mix, which in these three cases all comes from Central Grocery on Decatur.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/10/05 23:37:58 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Last week, I had a barbecue beef sandwich with homemade slaw on it at Normaltown Cafe in Athens. It was soooo good that I almost ordered and ate another. The barbecue sauce was just one notch too sweet for my taste, and their slaw is just tart enough that the combination was utterly fantastic. Such chemistry is not always in evidence in North Carolina, though, where you have to request "no slaw" on your pig sandwich, or - plop - there she be.
    The hamburger at The Euclid Avenue Yacht Club in Atlanta runs that sandwich a close second for my favorite, especially with homemade pimento cheese spread. They refer to that as an "Ort.-burger" there.
    The worst sandwich I ever had was out of a vending machine somewhere and tasted like a home ec class experiment gone bonkers. It was so bad it was a joke. The comedian Stanley Myron Handleman (where is he now, anyway?) used to have a joke about his cooking school cake that he used slices of for doorstops; this was the real thing. Slalg.
    Perhaps the worst imaginable sandwich is livermush with bananas and sour pickles. Or creamed corn with meatballs.
    In my Great American Novel, a Greek family-owned cafe' offers to put any menu item into a sandwich. This guy comes in and orders a chef salad sandwich. It catches on, and they still serve them - albeit inside hollowed-out bread - 30 years later. Can anyone come up with something more idiotic, but still doable?
    Sandwiching Myself In Tightly (The Library Is Fixing To Close), Ort. Carlton in Now I'm Hungry Athens, Georgia.
    caszab
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/10/08 12:22:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

I spent my freshman year of college at Syracuse U. There was a little pizza place called Zorba's, off of Marshall Street, the main drag. Perhaps this is a memory clouded by too many Genny Cream Ales, but they used to have the best sandwiches. Fresh roll, mayo, roast beef, pizza spices, pizza cheese, onions, then they'd toss it in the pizza oven for a few minutes pull it out and run it through the garden. Man, was it tasty.

Another fav is the BLT at Tony's in Birch Run, MI. They cook their bacon in the deep fat fryer, and the BLT comes with a full pound of bacon on it.

I try to forget all the bad ones...

Oh man...I remember Zorba's. When were you enrolled at SU? I was there fall '76 - spring '81. Spent many a night wolfing large roast beef subs there, before stumbling back to Lehman Hall to pass out. The guy who owned Zorba's closed up the bizz and moved back to Greece. Were you around when The Taco Lady was in business? She was right next door to Zorba's, in the same building, which is no longer there. She made some excellent Mexican. Not like the stuff you get from Taco Bell.
    The pizza of M street was great, also. You couldn't beat Cosmo's Special. It was loaded with toppings, and dirt cheap. Cosmo's also had the famous State Fair Steak Sandwich. Real shaved steak, grilled with onions and a grilled garlic seasoned sub roll. It came, and STILL DOES, with a huge scoop of mac salad, cole slaw, or Johnny V's to die for potato salad. The Varsity, on E. Adams was good from NY style, by the slice or whole.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/10/13 18:15:53 (permalink)
    just a post to remove that word from the "last post by" line

aha--i see had had nothing to fear--thanks again moderators!
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/10/14 12:48:56 (permalink)
    Best sandwiches: a tie between the White House Sub Shop's Sausage Parmesan, and a lobster roll at the Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth Maine. The worst: a turkey and cheese sandwich I had at a 7-eleven once. Absolute crap.
    gala62
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/11/08 22:28:21 (permalink)
    Best: DiBella's Subs in Rochester, NY. Chewy rolls with a crisp, sesame-flecked surface, a to-die-for oil dressing, plentiful meats and cheese. Also beef on weck in Buffalo, sheer beef perfection with a salty caraway kaiser roll, can't remember the name of the place we went to though.

Worst: tie between Schlotsky's and Subway. Skimpy on the fillings and tasteless meat. And the "bread" at Schlotsky's is truly scary...airy, dry and a very weird taste. ick.
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2339
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/11/09 08:25:15 (permalink)
    Worst sandwich: a sub that I had in the early 80's while attending Upsala College in East Orange. Cheap, fatty ham, chunks of American cheese, dried out clumps of lettuce with thick pieces of bad tomatoes covered with oil and vinegar AND mayonnaise. So bad, I remember it 20 years later.

Best sandwich: well, I like 3. A reuben at Syd's in Union, N.J. A cheesesteak at Philly Grill in Elizabeth, N.J. I've never been to Philly to have one, but someone told me the owners are from Philly and he likes it better than Pat's or Geno's. Easily the best I've had in Jersey. And my favorite sandwich is an Italian Hot Dog from Charlies Famous Italian Hot Dogs in Kenilworth, N.J. This type of sandwich is only available in Jersey (mainly Essex and Union Counties in North Jersey) and consists of 2 deep fried all beef Best brand hot dogs put on a half a loaf of round pizza bread (sort of like a pita) and topped with deep fried peppers, onions, and thin sliced potatoes. Also called a Newark style sandwich because it originated in Newark and the dogs are from Newark.
    flowercat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/11/09 10:34:19 (permalink)
    Frank's is on Decatur, near Sydney's.

http://www.americascuisine.com/neworleans/franks.html

It's difficult to pick the best ever sandwich but the first time that I had a debris po boy from Mother's stands out in my mind!
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1193
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/11/09 11:56:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

I was flying from New Orleans to LA and they had some pizza thing that was so incredibly bad I was praying we would crash so I could eat my fellow passengers instead. I asked the flight attendant, "Is this the worst thing ever served?" She responded, "Oh no, we have BBQ beef sandwich that is disgusting. Everyone hates it."

*sigh*...and such pride in craftsmanship is so rare these days...
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1193
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/11/09 12:01:16 (permalink)
    My mother should be alive to tell this one...

When I was a kid, back in the 1960s, we were coming home from a trip, and were passing through West Virginia. We stopped in this little diner for lunch, and when we ordered, they were out of everything -- EVERYTHING -- my mother tried to order. Mom was a trouper; she finally settled on a BLT, which they apparently DID have.

Our lunches were served, and Mom took one look at her sandwich and burst into laughter. Not only was the bread stale, there was no B or T on her BLT--just a limp and very unhappy-looking leaf of lettuce topped with some suspiciously separated-looking mayonnaise.

She flagged down the waitress. "We were out of bacon and tomatoes" was the reply.....

We left and found a McDonald's....
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Best and worst sandwich 2003/11/09 14:32:53 (permalink)
    Muffeleta at that Italian grocery place in N.Orleans. Smoked meat on rye at Scwartze's in Montreal. Two temples of sandwich.
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1