Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Best breakfast--Chicago

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 33
sarozen

• Total Posts: 7
Best breakfast--Chicago Thu, 09/16/04 6:14 PM (permalink)
Will be in Chicago for five days next week. What places do you folks recommend for breakfast?

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
    RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Thu, 09/16/04 7:06 PM (permalink)
    Lou Mitchell's on Jackson is the most famous breakfast joint in town, and pretty much lives up to the hype. If there is an Original Pancake House in the city proper you can't go wrong there. Walker Brothers in Wilmete is pretty much the same place. Look for the review on this site.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3217
      RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Thu, 09/16/04 9:36 PM (permalink)
      Lou Mitchell's and Walker Brothers both serve a good breakfast. I prefer to stray off the beaten path, away from the busy, popular places. Any one of the following will offer a unique Chicago breakfast:
      http://centerstage.net/restaurants/articles/Breakfast.html

Tommy2dogs

• Total Posts: 348
        RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Fri, 09/17/04 7:34 PM (permalink)
        Lou Mitchells for sure but I would also go to Manny's at 1141 S Jefferson. Open at 5:00 am. The best corned beef hash with poached eggs on top

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3217
          RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Fri, 09/17/04 8:06 PM (permalink)
          T2D, I'd go to Manny's and have a corned beef sandwich and a Green River for breakfast anytime. They're still serving Green River in glass bottles and using paper cone shaped cups in plastic holders.
          www.mannysdeli.com

Shane

• Total Posts: 51
            RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Fri, 09/17/04 9:37 PM (permalink)
            Wishbone on Washington, Ina's on Randolph, or Flo's on Chicago.

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
              RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Sat, 09/18/04 10:20 PM (permalink)

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
                RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Sun, 09/19/04 3:57 PM (permalink)
                Is there still an Ann Sather at Belmont and Clark, almost under the EL stop?

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1091
                  RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Fri, 09/24/04 12:26 PM (permalink)
                  In Evanston, Blind Faith, a vegetarian place on Dempster, has wonderful brunches (good omlettes, fruit smoothies and pancakes) and a bakery section that is hard to resist. Warning: it gets very crowded on weekends.

http://www.blindfaithcafe.com/Pages/menu.html

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                    RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Fri, 09/24/04 12:29 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by signman

Lou Mitchell's on Jackson is the most famous breakfast joint in town, and pretty much lives up to the hype.

Amen, Brother. Lou Mitchell's is the quintessential Chicago breakfast spot. If you have only one breakfast, this should be it. They pass out snackies while you are in line waiting, too!

Steve

dug

• Total Posts: 213
                      RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Wed, 09/29/04 9:03 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by zataar

sure is...it's the original[i crave those frosted cinnamon buns]!
                      tom tunney owns this "boys town" neighborhood fav and he is also now the local alderman!

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
                        RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Thu, 09/30/04 6:47 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by dug

quote:

tom tunney owns this "boys town" neighborhood fav and he is also now the local alderman!

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. It was a great breakfast place when we were there some years ago. The paperthin pancakes with lingonberry preserves were wonderful as were those cinnamon rolls.

danimal15

RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Fri, 10/1/04 5:42 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:
                          Originally posted by signman

Lou Mitchell's on Jackson is the most famous breakfast joint in town, and pretty much lives up to the hype.

Amen, Brother. Lou Mitchell's is the quintessential Chicago breakfast spot. If you have only one breakfast, this should be it. They pass out snackies while you are in line waiting, too!

Steve

Lou Mitchell's is a bit over-rated, I think. Yes, it has the atmosphere, but the food is just OK. I've had better pancakes and waffles lots of places. If you want the "quintessential" Chicago breakfast, an apple pancake at Walker Bros. is the proper choice.

dug

RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Sun, 10/3/04 2:23 AM (permalink)
                            quote:

quote:
                            Originally posted by dug

quote:

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. It was a great breakfast place when we were there some years ago. The paperthin pancakes with lingonberry preserves were wonderful as were those cinnamon rolls.

the belmont st. operation you refer to is located in a former mortuary.
                            his sister debbie runs the clark st[andersonville,sweedish neighborhood]location.

RebaJo

• Total Posts: 4
                              RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Wed, 08/24/05 12:15 AM (permalink)
                              Maybe Lou Mitchell's or Original Pancake house for the traditional breakfast. If want an UNtraditional breakfast (tiramisu pancakes, pancakes with berries, nuts, and sabayon cream, unique breakfast burritos, etc) go to the Bongo Room in Wicker Park! Their pancakes are the BEST I've ever had.

slackademic

RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Thu, 08/25/05 11:00 AM (permalink)
                                Tempo on Chestnut has great breakfasts as well as Clarke's on Lincoln, a block or so north of Fullerton. Try the baked German apple pancakes. To die for. Omelettes are great, as well the milkshakes!

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
                                  RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Thu, 08/25/05 11:14 AM (permalink)
                                  Can't go wrong with either Lou Mitchell or Tempo.

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
                                    RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Thu, 08/25/05 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                    Last time I was in Chicago I went to Tempo's twice I liked it so much. The turkey and swiss omelette was one of the best I've ever had. My sister lives near Wrigley and she has been going to Ann Sather's a lot latley which she says is really good as well.

HughYeman

• Total Posts: 84
                                      RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Thu, 08/25/05 12:47 PM (permalink)
                                      I dig the food and the no-nonsense, friendly atmosphere at Valois, but then again it's one of the only places I've been to in Chicago so my opinion may not count for that much.

http://centerstage.net/restaurants/valois.html

Here's what you do if you're in Hyde Park: Go to Valois for breakfast, walk a few blocks east and have a nice scenic walk along Lake Michigan, then come back, walk a few blocks past Valois, and have lunch at Ribs n' Bibs. The reviews I've read seem to have a common thread about rude staffpeople, but I never experienced that. They seemed pretty friendly to me.

Hey, I just found an article about having three meals in Hyde Park and it mentions Valois and Ribs n' Bibs! Someone agrees with me!

http://www.chibus.com/media/paper408/news/2004/10/28/ArtsEntertainment/Bryans.Food.Shack-785844.shtml

Anyway, I would recommend pizza at Leona's for dinner.

http://www.leonas.com/locations.html

-Hugh

slackademic

RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Thu, 08/25/05 12:58 PM (permalink)
                                        I lived there for six years and forgot about Valois! Definitely worth the drive down to Hyde Park. Take Lake Shore Dr to 53rd St. Exit and its about a mile or so east on 53rd, about two blocks past Lake Park.

Someone from Roadfood should submit a review! Its definitely a roadfood place!

I disagree about Ribs n' Bibs. Its not worth it. Pizza at Leona's is also not worth it, not, not worth it. If you want pizza, any good neighborhood place has decent thin crust and you know the usual deep dish candidates.

azure

• Total Posts: 98
                                          RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Fri, 08/26/05 12:14 AM (permalink)
                                          Valois is the perfect Roadfood place in atmosphere but the food does not really hold up. If you are planning on a weekday, Toast in Lincoln Park on Webster and Halsted is terrific. Fabulous omelettes of all types and kinds and outrageous pancakes. Great meaty bacon, and bloody mary's, to boot!!! The weekend crows are a bit tough to take.

azure

• Total Posts: 98
                                            RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Fri, 08/26/05 12:17 AM (permalink)
                                            ...that would be crowds, not crows...although you never know. I have to concur with a thumbs up to the Bongo Room...and a cool neighborhood. Where are you staying, Sarozen? Could influence recommendations.

dug

RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Fri, 08/26/05 3:09 PM (permalink)
                                              my new favorite place for breakfast is "tweet"[owner michele fire] on sheridan rd. and argyle[edgewater].they only serve a breakfast/brunch on saturday and sunday.delicious fresh and organic and local grown produce.crabcakes benedict[perfect hollandaise sauce every time],bisquits and gravy,and red velvet cake too!

giraffetv

• Total Posts: 6
                                                RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Tue, 09/6/05 4:57 PM (permalink)
                                                The Breakfast Club, 1381 W. Hubbard St. - a little out of the way in a combination residential/warehouse neighborhood, but worth the cab ride. Creative specials like lox benedict, stuffed french toast. Regular menu items include a great cream cheese, bacon and avocado omelet. And they do a nice job with old favorites like huevos rancheros. Good homemade cinnamon rolls. NOTE:cash only - no credit cards

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                                                  RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Tue, 09/6/05 5:29 PM (permalink)
                                                  I'd vote for Lou, and Ann!

My old favorite is probably either long gone, or on its 100th owner since I last stumbled by in 1986...The Golden Nugget on Lincoln, and Southport,(we used to call it the golden fuggit). It was only my favorite because it was shuffling distance from my apartment. I would rise on Sunday, partake of the weed, buy a Sunday Tribune, shuffle to the fuggit, order a belgian with a side of ham, coffee, milk, juice and set-up camp for an hour or so...aahhh to be back in college.

Where ever you go, give us a report!

AAAHHH! Who dug up this thread? I just looked at the original date. Whomever originally posted it, may have died of old age by now! Heck, I probably already responded to it! I hate when that happens!

BBQ Barney

• Total Posts: 161
                                                    • Location: Des Moines, Iowa,
                                                    RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Tue, 09/6/05 6:26 PM (permalink)
                                                    We agree with Lou Mitchell's and Wishbone--if you are shopping or sightseeing in the northern suburbs, consider Barnum and Bagel on Dempster in Skokie for great Jewish style breakfast fare---funny name, but, a tradition for many years in the area.

danimal15

RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Fri, 09/16/05 9:51 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by Cosmos

I'd vote for Lou, and Ann!

My old favorite is probably either long gone, or on its 100th owner since I last stumbled by in 1986...The Golden Nugget on Lincoln, and Southport,(we used to call it the golden fuggit). It was only my favorite because it was shuffling distance from my apartment. I would rise on Sunday, partake of the weed, buy a Sunday Tribune, shuffle to the fuggit, order a belgian with a side of ham, coffee, milk, juice and set-up camp for an hour or so...aahhh to be back in college.

Where ever you go, give us a report!

AAAHHH! Who dug up this thread? I just looked at the original date. Whomever originally posted it, may have died of old age by now! Heck, I probably already responded to it! I hate when that happens!

Golden Nugget still exists, though I'm not sure about that location. There's definitely still one on Clark just south of Diversey - I ate there last year. The pancakes are fabulous. I like the atmosphere, too.

dug

RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Fri, 09/16/05 3:27 PM (permalink)
                                                        ina's,at 1236 west randolph.they do fantastic baked french toast served with sauted apples,whole wheat pancakes and they are known for their corn and black bean scrapple[like polenta].there is a real ina[the owner ina pinkney] and she is there on site meeting and greeting her guests with a freindly hello and a smile.they also have their own free parking lot[a real perk here in downtown chicago].

DidiLovesSalvador

• Total Posts: 7
                                                          • Location: chicago, IL
                                                          RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Thu, 10/13/05 8:42 PM (permalink)
                                                          Golden Nugget is the best!!!! Especially the stuffed french toast. There's one on Diversy and Pulaski. Two on Irving Park. One of Central. There might be more. Don't know. Also good Chicago breakfast, What's Cooking on Lincoln and Kimball, Sander's in Lincolnwood (good, fluffy omelettes) and Cafe Victoria on Foster.

buffetbuster

RE: Best breakfast--Chicago Fri, 08/11/06 8:20 AM (permalink)
                                                            If I'm staying downtown, Tempo Cafe is my first choice. I love their omelettes! They also have a juice I really like that is a combination of several fruits, including cantaloupe, which you don't usually see very often. I'm also fond of Cozy Corner Diner & Pancake House, which is an easy ride on the "L" from downtown.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 33

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com