Best concession food?

Author
holdem
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 415
2006/06/10 20:09:53 (permalink)

Best concession food?

What are the most popular concession foods? Pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, fries?

27 Replies Related Threads

Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/10 20:36:55 (permalink)
    Fried Dough hands down. Funnel cakes and elephant ears always have the lines, along with churros or fry bread depending on what part of the country your in. Polish and Italian sausage is on most peoples list when they go to a fair. Sausages are the the perennial standby just like corn dogs(& Pronto Pups)and popular across the country. Anything fried on a stick from chicken to pork butt and shrimp to alligator tail if it's fried on a stick it sells! Ribbon fries are still big sellers as are fresh cut fries. There's something new coming out every year. Usually you'll find them at the big state fairs and if they're a hit they'll be at the county fairs the next year, (i.e. fried Snickers, Twinkies etc.) as well as other venues. A bunch of stuff gets tried out on carnival routes before going (or becoming) main stream. Keep your eye out for chicken wings making a big splash in outdoor concessions. There seems to be big interest from some of the big boys to do 'em up right. Spagetti and meatballs on a stick (I'm serious) did'nt make that big a dent in everybody's per cap but I'm betting wings just might!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7015
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/10 23:38:08 (permalink)
    We were AMAZED at the fabulous food at Jazz Fest in NOLA! Holy po' boy! We were expecting the usual concession food but then there was seafood gumbo, oyster, shrimp and debris po' boys, shrimp jambalaya, muffalettas,and on and on. The oyster po' boys squished out of your hands, it was so full. We never expected "concession food" to be so fantastic. The jazz was great, we saw Fats Domino, BBKing and a bunch of others, but the FOOD was to die for!
    Fieldthistle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/11 01:31:46 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Depends on what venue you are talking about.
    We have during the summer a community event every Wednesdays for local charities. The
    big draw is a music, each week a different genre of music. The food remains the same...
    pizza and beer, hot dogs and burgers.
    Every community has lawn parties that are limited to weekends. Funnel cakes, candied apples,
    and cotten candy attract the kids, but BB-Q chicken is the biggy, while hot dogs, hamburgers
    are also offered. Fries are a must. Some offer different brats and ethnic foods. To my
    delight, I found a bowl of navy beans offered at one.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/11 01:52:19 (permalink)
    The Arthur Avenue neighborhood in the Bronx's (New York's) Little Italy is currently having their week-long street festival in honor of Saint Anthony of Padua...and lo and behold, for years, the most popular stands look to be those selling zeppole (fried dough balls, doused in powdered sugar) and those selling sausage and peppers.

Sounds like it is not too much different in terms of preferences from other concessions.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/11 11:40:00 (permalink)
    Corn dogs are always popular.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/11 12:07:36 (permalink)
    When at a fair, I go straight for the gyros. I love 'em.
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/11 14:32:49 (permalink)
    Hi,

Hand dipped corn dogs are getting more popular. But the old elephant ear still rakes in to #1. The Shrine always has they're elephant ear cart out every fair season. There is always a line out in front of it. I like the elephant ears, but there tends to be a standing rule to buy the absolute cheapest dough possible. So they tend to retain alot of grease. There are some funnel cake stands that use quality ingredients in they're dough so I kind of gravitate towards those stands. Ribbon fries are getting big too. Heaped with cheese, sour cream, and bacon bits. Oh my! my cholestorol level just shot out the roof just thinking of it.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/11 16:12:04 (permalink)
    We go to the Rolex horse event in Lexington each Spring, and the funnel cake line is always backed up, as is the stand that sells blooming onions. Sandwiches (dogs, brats, burgers, chicken,BBQ) seem to be quite popular as well, judging from the lines, but Chinese food and other "non-finger" food does not seem to go over as well. There's never much of a line at the Chinese or Italian place, and it's likely because people want food they can walk around with. What's strange is I never see a mexican place there, and tacos make a good "walk around" food.

Andrea
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/11 17:38:41 (permalink)
    Hot dogs and french fries are my go to's.

John
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/11 17:44:27 (permalink)
    I cannot tell you what sells the best but i can tell you what attacks my olafactory senses the most is the Italian sausage, onions and peppers with whatever sauce you desire.

The smell attracts me.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/11 19:21:42 (permalink)
    I'll tell you something Paul (pssst between you and me). There's a reason for that(shhh).

I can work a sausage joint for a month straight and never tire of smelling it (or smelling like it)!
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/13 04:23:05 (permalink)
    Right now the shaved ice is going faster than anything. Though at any gathering where there are children the nachos fly out pretty quick. We usually don't do well with funnel cakes until it's cooler here.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/13 06:38:24 (permalink)
    I have to agree with Sundancer, I've ben known to have dinner at home then go to the Fair as soon as I get there I smell the sausage and peppers cooking just gotta have one. Those stands are always busy. Chow Jim
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/14 14:21:11 (permalink)
    I used to really love the pretzels from almost any NYC cart. I'd always say, "Burn it a little", for a little extra crunch & smoky flavor. But for many years they all seem to come from a central supply house (Made In China?) and they are not the salty, chewy wonders of yesterday. Street pretzels now taste like the "Mrs. Turnpike's Pretzel Parlor" junk at every highway gas/food/heartburn mega-shlock emporium.
    But there are always new treats to find: the Paris street vendors make wonderful crepes, with fruit preserves or Nutella (never quite cared for it), and the best potato latkes ever (even better than mine!) can be found at a little round kiosk outside the underground station in alte Koln (old Cologne). On a very cold January night, we came out of the underground and saw a line of about 30 people, shuffling in the direction of a fabulous frying potato/onion smell. The wait was well worth it; crunchy outside and velvety smooth inside. Served piping hot in a paper tray- the perfect after work snack.

BR
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/16 01:06:50 (permalink)
    What's an elephant ear?
    backfrmIraq
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/16 14:36:43 (permalink)
    National Shrimp Festival in Gulf Shores has got a wide mix of consessions, a higher % of seafood than most Festivals, but doh, it is a seafood festival...gumbo, fried shimp on a stick and stir fry wraps are popular...mexican fajita wraps using shrimp got lines, but there still is the pizza by the slice, polih sausage and the all-american corn dog vendors for the kids
    irisarbor
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 610
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/16 16:21:20 (permalink)
    ahhh zeppole!
    I haven't anyone talk about Zeppole since I was a little girl growing up in Staten Island... Makes my mouth water just to hear the word, thanks.
    [bmmmmmm ZZZeppole![:[/b]p]
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/16 16:32:30 (permalink)
    An elephant ear is yeast risen dough pulled or rolled flat and fried. Served up like funnel cakes. Lot's of "secret" recipes out there but a lot of the time it's sliced basic frozen bread dough.

The Nat'l Shrimp Fest is very tasty!!! I've worked it a few times and will do so again. They'll work your butt off and it's worth it. So much great food and the prices I always thought fair. I usually lose a pound or two at shows but not at this one or a few others in Louisiana. If I break even I'm lucky.
    caratzas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/17 01:55:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by backfrmIraq

National Shrimp Festival in Gulf Shores has got a wide mix of consessions, a higher % of seafood than most Festivals, but doh, it is a seafood festival...gumbo, fried shimp on a stick and stir fry wraps are popular...mexican fajita wraps using shrimp got lines, but there still is the pizza by the slice, polih sausage and the all-american corn dog vendors for the kids

Sounds like Bubba from Forrest Gump would be happy there:
    quote:
    Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.

That last line makes the whole monologue.
    holdem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/06/21 21:02:16 (permalink)
    Thanks for all of the help. Which food do you think would be the best seller? I have my own favorites but i'm not sure they are the most popular. Also wondering how the weather effects some items as far as sales.
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 907
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/07/08 13:05:56 (permalink)
    Depending on the area you work in, these may or may not be well known enough to sell well ... but they sure are excellent ... consider falafel rollup sandwiches in pita bread with cucumber, tomato, and hummus or tahini ... if ya want to be real authentic, a bit of pickled turnip.
    TzaTziki is great on 'em too; which is the yogurt/garlic/mint sauce used with Gyros sandwiches.

French fries are hard to beat for great margin ... and everybody loves them (of course everybody sells em too).

BhamBabe I hear ya on the shaved ice.
    I was at the Ann Arbor Art Fair a few years ago and watched the snow-cone concession running flat out for about 40 minutes with 5 lines each about 50 people deep. I finally got the gumption to wait in line to get a couple cones and when I got to the window, I said to the guy: "ahhhh ... buy ice by the 5lb block and selling by the cup ... pretty decent profit, eh?"
    He looked at me incredulously and said "Nahhh" and rolled his eyes.

doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/07/10 10:39:22 (permalink)

I have gone for battered egg rolls on a stick that are dipped in a fluorescent sweet and sour sauce.
    Usually these booths will feature other Chinese dishes such as noodles or fried rice. I like Asian quick foods and wonder how BBQ chicken legs and thighs on a stick would work? This is based on memories I have of when I was in the Navy and certain countries had street vendors selling that.

I think that the one thing to consider about food on a stick is that people are slobs and will throw them on the ground instead of the trash barrel. People walking around a fair will notice these sticks on the ground and subliminally think "I gotta try one of those too..."

There are street fairs in NYC this summer, usually they will stretch the length of certain avenues from 42nd to Central Park. It seems that the Italian sausage stands are everywhere. I also notice that there are many Thai food stands on almost every block too. You can get a Pad Thai bowl for about $3.00 and a plate of things for about $4.50.

mark
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/07/10 10:42:51 (permalink)
    P.S. I am very surprised that nobody, including me has mentioned the greatest thing on a stick.

It is the old fashioned favorite of all time...the Corndog!!! Something isn't right if you can't get a corndog at a fair.

mark
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/07/10 13:09:08 (permalink)
    Mr chips mentioned the corn gods. Yes, always a staple Doggy. I think they were first served at the State Fair of Texas.
    Joe
    JDBlagg
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/07/10 13:41:17 (permalink)
    New Mexico Chile Relleno dogs. They are great. The only place I have seen them is the New Mexico State Fair. Hot dog inserted in a NM Chile, battered and deep fried.
    leslie1787
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/07/10 20:41:17 (permalink)
    Anybody heard about the Krispie Creme Hamburger?
    txtwister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: Best concession food? 2006/07/12 19:06:40 (permalink)
    What type of venue? Nachos or garlic fries are my drug of choice at baseball games (unless it's dollar hotdog night, and you have to love that) where I can sit and be (reasonably) sure I stay clean, but corndogs/fries/funnel cakes lend themselves to wandering around a carnival. Anything else (festivals/fairs/antique or flea markets) will probably find me trying to find something particularly "local." Around here (west TX) that usually means I'm a sucker for fajitas or German sausage on a stick.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1