Best crabcakes?

Author
mvanpatten
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
2005/09/21 20:24:30 (permalink)

Best crabcakes?

I can't say these were the best (because I haven't tried them ALL)
BUT there is a little dive of the restarant in Union, Washington - the Union Cafe that has wonderful crabcakes. (Not be confused with the Union Cafe in Seattle!)

Their crabcakes were combination of crab, shrimp and lobster seasoned to perfection with just a hint of breading. It was outstanding.

And the home style potato chips served on the side were just as delish! Thicker than store bought chips, they actually looked homemade!

Union, Washington is on the Hood Canal just a few miles from the Alderbrook Resort http://alderbrookresort.com or the Robin Hood Village cabins http://www.robinhoodvillage.com/pages/cottages.html

29 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2005/09/21 21:25:03 (permalink)

Some time in the future, consider visiting the Baltimore area for several days. I am sure that several of our members would be happy to refer you to a bunch of great Crabcake places!! My limited experience at Fraily's(sp?)in the Lexington Market downtown or the G&M Seafood out near the BWI airport tells me that they will be hard to top anywhere!
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2005/09/22 00:08:15 (permalink)
    How can it be a crabcake if there is shrimp and lobster mixed in?
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4538
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2005/09/22 09:27:17 (permalink)
    Something I have always meant to ask - as I recall from the many descriptions of the G&M crabcake, it is heavy on either mustard or mayonnaise...or both.

Can someone recommend a maryland crabcake with little or no mustard (not fond of that flavor) and no mayo (can't stand the stuff) whatsoever?

Alternately, if I am recalling the G&M crabcakes from description incorrectly, just say so :-)
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2005/09/22 09:49:15 (permalink)
    I was recently in Rockville MD and had excellent crabcakes at a place called Clydes Lodge ! It was a neat place with all sorts of themed rooms and their specialty was crabcakes .... and they were wonderful !

Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2005/09/22 12:34:18 (permalink)
    I second the Mayor's vote for Faidley's in the Lexington Market in Baltimore. Their's are the best crabcakes I've ever tasted.
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2005/09/22 12:48:14 (permalink)
    Signman - It can't. It may be delicious, but to this Chesapeake Bay area resident, if it isn't 100 percent blue crab, it isn't a REAL crabcake.

T.J. - The crabcakes at G & M are very large for the money and are good, but they ARE also a bit heavy on the mustard for my tastes, too. There are a number of places to get excellent crabcakes that use little or no mustard, such as The Narrows, Stoney's, Jerry's and Johnny's Half Shell. If you're interested, the locations and reviews of these places are in my postings in the following thread: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8653 As for places that don't use mayo, I can't help you there. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the use of mayo is pretty much universal, since something has to bind the crabmeat together. However, the best crabcakes use so little binder that the mayo is barely noticeable, if it is noticeable at all.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2005/09/22 12:58:28 (permalink)

RBPalmer,
    It may be my inexperienced tastebuds, but I really didn't notice the mustard flavor in the G&M Crabcakes. We have tried them 3 times including the April 2004 Crabfest introduction and I find them Outstanding. I think I like them better than Fraidly's only because I can sit down at G&M and I had to eat the Lexington Market cakes while standing. No debate on how individuals notice flavors though...I wouldn't get in a BBQ flavor argument either!!

I will make an attempt to try some of the places you listed on our next visit to you area!!
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2005/09/22 13:20:27 (permalink)
    Mayor - I've only been to G & M once, so it's possible that whoever was pulling kitchen duty that day was a little heavy handed with the mustard, and that my experience was not the norm. They were still good, though.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2005/09/22 14:08:28 (permalink)
    Annapolis is the place for crab cakes and seafood in MD:

#1 Cantler's Riverside Inn. 100% Blue Crab, just doesn't get any better. Tough to find by land, easy to find by boat. 458 Forest Beach Road. This is a roadfood.com-ers paradise!

#2 - Buddy's Crab's and Ribs. Why have ribs, that's my question, especially when the crab cakes and blue crab are superpurb!

I'd put these two places up against any place in Balto!

Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2005/09/22 14:59:55 (permalink)
    In my travels one thing has become a given. Outside of Maryland and some parts of Virginia, I now stay away from anything a restaraunt or chef calls a crabcake or a Maryland style crabcake. I have been disappointed over and over again by restaraunts that served dried out crabcakes, that are over stuffed with fillers and have very little actual crabmeat in them. Some actually look (and taste) like fried salmon patties.

I am one for always trying new things, different and variety of styles, and in the past I have given other regions a chance on this but it seems to be a truism, that the further you get from the MD state line, the further it gets from tasting, looking and actually being an edible facsimile of the real thing.

Why would you order seafood in the Midwest when you can get it fresher at home?

Score, around here in the Owings Mills/Reisterstown area, I'd recommend Reter's and CJ's crabhouses for their crabcakes and put them up against Cantler's or Obrycki's. Also Harris crabhouse on Kent Narrows has a great crabcake and of course you can;t go wrong with Faidley's!
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2005/09/22 17:31:41 (permalink)
    Crab cakes should not have lobster and whatever mixed into the cake. PS Charleston is where crab cakes reach their highest point.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2005/09/22 17:45:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

Crab cakes should not have lobster and whatever mixed into the cake. PS Charleston is where crab cakes reach their highest point.

Sorry about that...................you are wrong! It is Maryland and not South Carolina
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2005/09/22 18:29:05 (permalink)
    RBPalmer---email me some time--fot a message for ya.
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2005/09/22 19:41:40 (permalink)
    tiki

I'm sorry this is off topic, but please help if you are watching this thread.

One of these weekends, weather and personal schedule permitting, I'm going to visit Eufuala and take in an Ironheads game. If I do, it will be a last minute standby trip to Oklahoma CIty or Tulsa and I'll be right on the bubble time wise.

I know where I can get fast food chicken or hamburger, etc., at the south end of town near the field. And I know I can get a booster club hot dog at the field. But if I have time would you name a place where I might find a bowl of soup or chili? And does anything except the places for kids stay open after the game?

Thanks, B I O
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2005/09/23 09:28:31 (permalink)
    Actually we use the claw meat for cakes and the big chunks for topping salads.

Strangely the best "Maryland Crabs"'ve ever had (you know the brown paper on the table, little wooden mallets, big mess, and sweet crabs) was at Carolina crab or something in Chicago.

Here I am a Tarheel in Chicago eating Maryland Crabs in a place named Carolina's...Like eating a hamburger in Australia (all the way means w/ beet root)
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2005/09/25 09:44:46 (permalink)
    Somehow I knew this wouldn't be about Mrs.Smiths crabcakes. A local seafood restaurant now expanded to 3 locations (St Johns Seafood) makes a really good crabcake with huge chunks of locally caught bluecrab. ALMOST as good as gramma's
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1965
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2005/09/26 09:08:29 (permalink)
    This month's Gourmet mag has a picture of a crab cake that they loved. They are $12 each w a min order of 1 dozen.
    mek
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2005/09/26 09:21:01 (permalink)
    Hel-lo-

If you don't want to use mayo, try egg white for the binder.

mek in Baltimore
    Marc4022
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2005/11/01 14:14:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Some time in the future, consider visiting the Baltimore area for several days. I am sure that several of our members would be happy to refer you to a bunch of great Crabcake places!! My limited experience at Fraily's(sp?)in the Lexington Market downtown or the G&M Seafood out near the BWI airport tells me that they will be hard to top anywhere!

Just make sure you're near Baltimore! I think the Chesapeake region offers the country's best seafood. Mind you, I grew up in Ohio, went to college in Florida, and have lived in Georgia for the past ten years. So I'm not just a bragging native of that area. I tasted my first soft-shell crab sandwhich in/near Owings Mills and my first REAL crabcakes near Cockeysville. Both were business trips so didn't really pay attention to the names of the places. When in the area, ask around...there's got to be something good close by.

Got nothing against cajun, but that's the only seafood cuisine that even approaches Chesapeake. Southern? Fugettaboudit. When Southerners get done cooking it all tastes like french fries. I never order crab cakes down here anyway...there's no crab in them!
    sammur
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2006/01/10 13:11:50 (permalink)
    Barbara Jean's in St Simons, and soon to be in Savannah, has really good crabcakes with very little breading mixed in. (Their breads are also worth stopping for.)
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2006/01/10 18:47:51 (permalink)
    Had a great crabcake sandwich in Fells Point (Baltimore) last weekend. Then we stayed and played pool in the back room, then partied upstairs in the lounge bar. Good times.

the place was called: Waterfront Hotel.

Dora, the bartender, is the best. Friendly and fun.
    and Rob, (waiter and bartender) definately knows the best bets on the menu that day/season.

Williamsburger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2006/01/12 22:54:44 (permalink)
    This place is definately not roadfood but it is
    the best crabcake I've ever had: Clark's Landing in
    St. Mary's Co. MD. My DH and I went there last
    October for his b'day. These cakes were mostly lump
    crabmeat and held together by willpower! Not a breadcrumb
    in sight.

Cathy
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2006/01/25 11:59:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Williamsburger

This place is definately not roadfood but it is
    the best crabcake I've ever had: Clark's Landing in
    St. Mary's Co. MD. My DH and I went there last
    October for his b'day. These cakes were mostly lump
    crabmeat and held together by willpower! Not a breadcrumb
    in sight.

Cathy

Went there by boat last summer.
    Good times! and neat area to explore.
    rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2006/01/25 12:14:12 (permalink)
    Bo Brooks in Baltimore does excellent crabcakes and other Baltimore crab things very well. The place used to be a delightful saloon/restaurant with formica tables & lino floor; now its in the vicinity of the downtown Harborplace tourist mecca. Much more fun in the old days, but the food remains good.
    BarbarainLH
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2006/01/28 17:42:32 (permalink)
    Faidley's Crab Cakes

1/2 c mayonnaise
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    1 T Dijon mustard
    1 T worcestershire sauce
    1/2 t hot sauce
    1 pound fresh lump crabmeat,drained
    1 c crushed saltines(about 20 crackers)

Stir together the first 5 ingredients, and fold in the crabmeat and saltines. Let stand for 3 minutes. Shape into 8 patties.( I use a 1/3 cup to measure them out) Place on a wax paper lined baking sheet, cover and chill for 1 hour. Fry on each side for about 3-4 minutes, in a little bit of oil. Drain on paper towels.*** Sometimes I make them and freeze them**To cook I put them in the oven (frozen)at 400-425* until they are done. They sell Lump crab meat at Sam's Club!!
    These are so good I ate 3 of them last night.

Found this recipe in Southern Living Mag.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3710
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2006/01/28 18:55:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BarbarainLH

Faidley's Crab Cakes

1/2 c mayonnaise
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    1 T Dijon mustard
    1 T worcestershire sauce
    1/2 t hot sauce
    1 pound fresh lump crabmeat,drained
    1 c crushed saltines(about 20 crackers)

Stir together the first 5 ingredients, and fold in the crabmeat and saltines. Let stand for 3 minutes. Shape into 8 patties.( I use a 1/3 cup to measure them out) Place on a wax paper lined baking sheet, cover and chill for 1 hour. Fry on each side for about 3-4 minutes, in a little bit of oil. Drain on paper towels.*** Sometimes I make them and freeze them**To cook I put them in the oven (frozen)at 400-425* until they are done. They sell Lump crab meat at Sam's Club!!
    These are so good I ate 3 of them last night!!!

In my opinion this is not the recipe that Faidley's uses..........this recipe calls for too many crackers. Sam's does sell lumb crabmeat but I am sure that you will find that it is pasturized and not nearly as good as really fresh crab meat.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2006/01/28 19:55:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Something I have always meant to ask - as I recall from the many descriptions of the G&M crabcake, it is heavy on either mustard or mayonnaise...or both.

Can someone recommend a maryland crabcake with little or no mustard (not fond of that flavor) and no mayo (can't stand the stuff) whatsoever?

Just yesterday, the TV show "Cookin' in Brooklyn" had a guy who made crab cakes with a heavy cream reduction instead of mayo.
    dholk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2006/01/28 22:23:29 (permalink)
    Nothing like a great crab cake! I had the good fortune of growing up on the northern gulf coast and have great memories of scooping up wonderful blue crabs in a net, just dipping my feet in the water, walking on the beach.

We just boiled and ate them back then. Since then I have discovered the joys of a great crab cake. I've even enjoyed 'bad' crab cakes. Bad = mostly filler.

The Red Bar in Grayton Beach, Florida has the best crab cakes I have ever tried, by far. I'm pretty good at cleaning crabs and I have no idea how they get such big chunks of wonderful blue crab meat in their crab cakes. There is is barely enough 'binder/filler' to hold them together, truly awesome stuff.

I hope you get the chance to check them out.

Dave
    Squidly
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: Best crabcakes? 2006/02/10 21:46:25 (permalink)
    Best crabcakes I ever had were at a small restaurant just outside Big Canoe, GA. They were the size of 2 hockey pucks stacked and were baked then finished under a broiler. There wasn't enough mayo/bread crumbs to bind them for frying. I'd estimate 90%+ fresh lump crab.

One of my table mates was gluten intolerant so in the interest of her health I found it necessary to inform her that those were, in fact, bread crumbs in the crab cake then with her approval, removed the offending appetizer from her place setting and consumed it so that she would not feel obligated to eat it herself (prix fixe) thus leaving her free to fully enjoy the entree without a feeling of guilt. I received looks of disapproval from the other diners at the table. I suspect that they recognized this threat to her health yet they did not act in a fashion speedy enough to preclude life threatening ingestion on her part and felt guilty for not having made the suggestion themselves. I later patted myself on the back on the front porch of the restaurant with a cigar and a glass of port. Food safety is important. That is why serving boiled okra should be classified as a felony (sorry Mom).
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1