Best cut for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches

Author
Drewmcdan1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
2005/11/27 23:00:05 (permalink)

Best cut for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches

What's the best cut of beef to buy for making hot roast beef sandwiches? I'm hosting the family Christmas party this weekend and plan on cooking a roast or two in advance, then letting it cool, then slicing it on my slicer and sticking it in gravy. What I'm not sure of is, what's the best boneless cut to use, i.e top round, eye round, etc?
Thanks,
Drew

17 Replies Related Threads

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3144
    RE: Best cut for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches 2005/11/28 06:48:36 (permalink)
    Most of the Googled Chicago style Italian Beef recipes call for bottom round but you're probably not making those, right?
    BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Best cut for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches 2005/11/28 08:41:34 (permalink)
    Bottom round does make good sandwiches. It slices well, and is usually a little less expensive than top round. It seems more like the beef the deli uses.
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Best cut for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches 2005/11/28 11:55:06 (permalink)
    This is one I cheat on big time, a trip to Publix for a couple pounds of thinly sliced boarshead roast beef, a can of french onion soup and a can of beef gravy or consumme. In an electric frypan, brown of a sliced onion in oil and a heavy sprinkling of italian spices add the beef and canned soup/gravy combo along with a can of water. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3144
    RE: Best cut for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches 2005/11/28 13:27:18 (permalink)
    Yeeouch, that's an expensive sandwich.
    Many of the Chicago beef roast recipes call for inserting garlic cloves into the roast which is then roasted in a tightly covered pan on a rack over some water. The key for me seems tons of oregano after which the leftover broth can used for the next roast (I'll often freeze it). I have used deli beef but never Boars Head because of price. I'll bet that's one good sandwich.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Best cut for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches 2005/11/29 13:10:51 (permalink)
    It is expensive but Boars Head is what the local Publix deli has. When you consider cost versus convenience it's not realy that bad though.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Best cut for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches 2005/11/29 15:42:59 (permalink)
    I like eye of round. The day after Thanksgiving, we had to pick up a few items at the store. We found a eye of round roast that had been weighed wrong. Instead of 2.4 lbs., the guy in the meat dept. entered it at .24 and the price was marked 1.08. We took it to the register and it scanned at that price. The cashier said , boy that meat must be reduced. ( It had just been put out while we were shopping and was a fresh cut.)
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1354
    RE: Best cut for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches 2005/11/29 15:51:41 (permalink)
    If you knew it was a mistake and took advantage of it was that honest? How is that different from not correcting a cashier who gives you too much change? Am I hopelessly old fashioned?
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Best cut for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches 2005/11/29 16:45:17 (permalink)
    Sirloin Tip with as much garlic as you can stand poked in it.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18338
    RE: Best cut for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches 2005/11/29 17:19:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mbrookes

If you knew it was a mistake and took advantage of it was that honest? How is that different from not correcting a cashier who gives you too much change? Am I hopelessly old fashioned?

I don't think you're hopelessly old fashioned.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Best cut for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches 2005/11/29 19:03:34 (permalink)
    From my archives:

Deli Roast Beef

4 to 6 lb. top round roast
    garlic salt
    coarse black pepper

I use a 4 to 6 lb. top round roast, but can use smaller one, but it will have less rare meat. You may have trouble finding top round roast (same as London broil), but roast is much thicker and makes nice size slices for sandwiches. Ask the butcher for one if they aren't in the meat counter. Bring the meat to room temperature, season with garlic salt and coarse black pepper and put in a shallow roaster pan with a rack to sit the meat on. Preheat oven to 500 degrees, cook roast 6 mins per lb for rare, 7 to 10 mins per lb. for med/rare or med. Cut oven off, let roast sit in oven 1-1/2 hours before opening the door. If serving for dinner can reheat roast at 350 degrees for 30 mins. Will have some drippings in bottom of pan which you can add some water to and cook down for au jus gravy.

This really does work, BTW...
    Drewmcdan1
    Junior Burger
    RE: Best cut for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches 2005/11/29 19:45:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I bought two eye round roasts (they were on sale to boot) and will cook them up later this week, then slice them down for Saturday's buffet.

The suggestion to put some French Onion soup in the gravy sounds really good. Think I'll try it.

Was really hoping to do Roast Pork Sandwiches but got over ruled by my better half...
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18338
    RE: Best cut for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches 2005/11/29 20:08:56 (permalink)
    You might (or not) be interested to know that in the New haven, Connecticut area they use eye of the round to make steak sandwiches. You partally freeze it to make slicing easier, then slice it thin on a slicer. To make the sandwiches you toss the slices on a griddle (or you can do it in a skiller) and cook them till they're browned. Then load the meat onto toast, top with grilled or raw onions, a slice of tomato, and -- Heaven.
    Drewmcdan1
    Junior Burger
    RE: Best cut for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches 2005/11/29 22:27:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    You might (or not) be interested to know that in the New haven, Connecticut area they use eye of the round to make steak sandwiches. You partally freeze it to make slicing easier, then slice it thin on a slicer. To make the sandwiches you toss the slices on a griddle (or you can do it in a skiller) and cook them till they're browned. Then load the meat onto toast, top with grilled or raw onions, a slice of tomato, and -- Heaven.

Yep, I'm from Philly and most of the local places do the same thing for either their steak meat for sale (sliced to order) or most pizza places use it for their steak sandwiches. My sister in S. Florida got several dirty looks from their Publix meat counter person when she asked for this last Feb for her Eagles Superbowl party. A month later, the same meat counter was advertising "real Philly steak meat".
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Best cut for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches 2005/11/29 23:40:32 (permalink)
    The secret is slicing it thin as we all learned on Seinfeld when Cramer bought that meat slicer to slice his own deli meats
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Best cut for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches 2005/11/30 00:46:48 (permalink)
    You asked about the "best" cut. As far as I'm concerned, the "best" roast beef is rib roast--for any purpose including sandwiches. But it IS expensive and, in the boneless form you'd need to slice it on a machine, even more expensive. My experience with round roasts is that they can be dry (not much fat) and tough if you aren't careful, but if you are "sticking it in gravy" that should take care of the dryness and slicing it thin on the machine should minimize toughness. Personally, I use round mostly in ground form or in braised dishes.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: Best cut for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches 2005/11/30 04:17:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dreamzpainter

This is one I cheat on big time, a trip to Publix for a couple pounds of thinly sliced boarshead roast beef, a can of french onion soup and a can of beef gravy or consumme. In an electric frypan, brown of a sliced onion in oil and a heavy sprinkling of italian spices add the beef and canned soup/gravy combo along with a can of water. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer.

Sounds mighty salty.
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Best cut for Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches 2005/11/30 10:01:55 (permalink)
    I've found the best cut of beef for either roast beef sandwiches or Italian roast beef sandwiches to be the Top Round roast (not the Bottom Round). Up north in the Great Lakes Region (Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, etc) top round in "full sizes" is very, very commonly available. But I've found down here in Florida that it is rarely available, and when it is, it is only available in small cuts and narrow portions used for London Broil. I don't like the small pieces and can't even get the butchers to do it right. I very much prefer it over rump roast, bottom round, sirloin, or eye of round roasts. I have used on some occasions the great Boars Head beef when on sale (very thin sliced, of course). I have to admit it is very good and tasty, although still a little expensive, but for small portions, it wets the appetite and fills the craving.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1