Best mexican place in Milwaukee area?

Author
packerwmn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
2006/11/10 13:31:05 (permalink)

Best mexican place in Milwaukee area?

I live in the Milwaukee area and love Mexican food. I'm wondering where you think has the best Mexican style food in the Milwaukee area. I'm partial to the chicken mole at Botanas, and lunch at Conejito's is inexpensive and tasty! I'm looking for more places to try and hope you have some recommendations....

18 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8494
    RE: Best mexican place in Milwaukee area? 2006/11/10 14:23:14 (permalink)
    There is a place not too far from Pewaukee,on Capitol Dr. called Mo's.It has been recommended to me several times.Not exactly sure where it is,but i am sure it is in the phone book.And if you go on line to the Journal Sentinel website(jsonline)look in their restaurant review archives-I recall several new places that got favorable reviews...
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    RE: Best mexican place in Milwaukee area? 2006/11/10 22:23:19 (permalink)
    There are few dishes of any kind in Milwaukee I find better than the Chiles en nogadas at Jalapeno Loco. It's on Howell Ave. across from Mitchell Field. http://www.foodspot.com/jalapenoloco/menu.html Their soups and shrimp dishes are very good too.
    I also enjoy Tres Hermanos on 14th and Lincoln. You can pick just about any part of the menu and have a great dish. I really like their 7 Mares Marisco

Stop in and have a bite to eat while shopping at the El Rey supermarkets; great casual food and what's a Sunday without a bowl of menudo? I posted a few pics from the seafood location of the Fiesta Garibaldi family of restaurants. http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16200 It's just a few blocks west from St. Josaphat's Basilica. There's a little taqueria whose name escapes me next door to the Modjeska Theater on Mitchell that's awesome but you better be able to speak poco español as they don't speak English.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4275
    RE: Best mexican place in Milwaukee area? 2006/11/11 16:24:52 (permalink)
    While I defer to MilwFoodlovers' broader knowledge of, not just Mexican but, all food in southeast Wisconsin, I still have frequent longings for the garlicky shrimp tacos at La Perla in the 5th and National neighborhood. We have eaten at La Fuente, Botanas, and the other Mexican places also in that area, and found them all to be very good. But we still keep going back to La Perla.

Buddy

P.S. I have to add that on one of our trips, while finding our way back to I-94 from another MilwFoodlovers rec, Sobelman's (brilliant burger BTW), we passed through another Mexican neighborhood, not far from the 5th and National area. We had no idea this tightly packed group of restaurants even existed up to that point. We have not made it back to try any of the amazing looking places crammed into that neighborhood, but are looking forward to doing so during next year's 'Que Sauce tour.

B.
    packerwmn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: Best mexican place in Milwaukee area? 2006/11/13 11:03:13 (permalink)
    Thanks for the ideas!

AnnPeeples - Mo's isn't much different than Q-dobas. They feature giant burritos where you go through the asmy line and pick your toppings. It's ok - but definitely chain food.

I really need to get to the EL RAY market and check that out.
    EatWisconsin
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Best mexican place in Milwaukee area? 2006/11/16 13:13:08 (permalink)
    I like Botanas best out of the Botanas-LaFuente-La Perla block. Their food is always spectacular. Thats not saying that the others are bad but I think Botanas is the best of the 3. Their moles are awesome.

Out in the western burbs, I really love Senor Thomas. The best part of their menu is the Especialidades (specials) which includes a great version of Nopalito con Queso. The Bistec ala Mexicano and the Carnitas are also great. Taco Amigo on Silvernail is owned by the same family and they have some of the same items. I am a fan of LaEstacion in Waukesha as well but some of the meals have been forgettable. Some of their steak dishes are really good...especially steak and nopoles.

chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3308
    RE: Best mexican place in Milwaukee area? 2006/11/16 22:38:06 (permalink)
    Milwfoodlover turned us on to Jalapeno Loco. We eat there at least once a month. If you ever make it down to Racine, Mexico Lindo on Racine Street gets our vote.

CSD
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8494
    RE: Best mexican place in Milwaukee area? 2006/11/16 22:50:29 (permalink)
    Didnt know Mos was like a chain-definately off my list.My uncle,Jose has taken us to la Fuente for basics-but la Perla for specialties..there are wonderful new restaurants but I cannot recall their name-as i said-go on JS online and look for the archives for restaurants-one of the new wonderful places is on Forest Home Ave.
    uww27225
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Best mexican place in Milwaukee area? 2006/12/04 13:13:51 (permalink)
    I'm a big fan of Cempazuchi on Brady http://www.cempazuchi.com/
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2716
    RE: Best mexican place in Milwaukee area? 2006/12/07 23:37:28 (permalink)
    Packerwmn - The top rated Mexican restaurant in Milwaukee is Rey Sol on Forest Home Avenue (on Dennis Getto's Top 25 every year). Their praise is well deserved, and they offer a variety of Mexican regional dishes. I've enjoyed every visit.
    http://www.onwisconsin.com/dining/dining.asp?id=2397

I also really like EatWisconsin's choice of Taco Amigo. Their dinner menu has a lot of choices other than your normal tacos, burritos, etc. My wife always orders Chile Almendrado -- a Poblano chile filled with chicken, dipped in a special batter and pan-fried to a golden brown. Covered with a roasted almond sauce.
    http://www.foodspot.com/tacoamigo/index.html

jrp
    robks
    Junior Burger
    RE: Best mexican place in Milwaukee area? 2012/12/26 14:51:15 (permalink)
    Though this thread is old, I'd like to add a couple of places in case anyone looks back at this.

I liked Taqueria El Cabrito.  True to their name, they serve birria (goat).  It is medium nice inside, most people don't speak English, and they serve a relish tray.  I thought the pork tacos were good, both Al Pastor and Carnitas.  The goat tacos was good too, but I would really think their goat steak breakfast would be worth trying.

Taqueria Los Comales had really good pork too, and it was particularly unfancy.  They serve bistec and a flank steak with onions tacos that was really good too.  They serve a relish tray too.

The Taqueria Arandas truck on 6th and Greenfield had the best steak tacos of anywhere I have eaten in Milwaukee.  The best carnitas tacos at a truck I have eaten was at La Pasada across from the El Rey near Mitchell and 13th.  

It's probably pretty obviously that I like eating tacos,  these are just a few standouts that I have eaten at multiple times.

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5148
    RE: Best mexican place in Milwaukee area? 2012/12/26 15:11:21 (permalink)
    Welcome, Robks!  Did you recently visit Milwaukee or are you a native that's been relocated to the Twin Cities?

A couple of months ago a group of us enjoyed a meal at Riviera Maya in Bay View.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    RE: Best mexican place in Milwaukee area? 2012/12/26 20:43:18 (permalink)
    El Tucanazo rocks http://www.examiner.com/article/for-authentic-mexican-food-a-trip-to-milwaukee-s-el-tucanazo-is-mandatory but is tiny
    If you like seafood with a fair amount of background noise try La Canoa http://www.lacanoamilwaukee.com/

acer2x
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 448
    RE: Best mexican place in Milwaukee area? 2012/12/26 21:09:07 (permalink)
    uww27225

I'm a big fan of Cempazuchi on Brady http://www.cempazuchi.com/

My nephew, the former baseball writer from NY, agrees.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4275
    RE: Best mexican place in Milwaukee area? 2012/12/27 00:56:51 (permalink)
    Another positive mention for Riviera Maya.  We enjoyed the Ceviche-like Shrimp Cocktail.  Also shared the best Orchata and Flan I've ever tasted!  I'm not normally a big fan of Orchata, but Riviera Maya's version was not overly sweet, and had a pungent but pleasant hit of cinnamon. 

The Flan was more dense, creamy, and rich than any I've ever had before.  I would go back to Riviera Maya just for the Flan.

Buddy
    abhishek0990
    Junior Burger
    RE: Best mexican place in Milwaukee area? 2013/02/08 08:10:07 (permalink)
    nice informat. you for sharing it.

thanks

Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Best mexican place in Milwaukee area? 2013/02/08 08:37:40 (permalink)
    I really like this place....lots of great moles and be sure to try the DUCK tacos! My favorite place in Milwaukee.
    http://www.cempazuchi.com/main_page.html
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5148
    RE: Best mexican place in Milwaukee area? 2013/02/08 08:44:48 (permalink)
    Looks like it might be worth a visit sometime, especially if there are enough other interesting stops in the area to make it worth an afternoon.  You need to come to a Contingent outing sometime.

I'll be surprised if MilwFoodLovers hasn't been there before.
    post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2013/02/08 08:46:00
    edwardfranklin
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    Flagged as Spam (2)
    RE: Best mexican place in Milwaukee area? 2013/10/21 06:38:11 (permalink)
    Please someone tell me How to make MExiCan bEst Dish :D
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1