Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak

Author
PhoenixNick
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2007/04/18 14:59:16 (permalink)

Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak

Over the last 6 months I set on a mission to find the best cheesesteak in Phoenix. My travels ended up at a little corner cafe called Marylyn's Fish and Chips on the corner of 7th St and Maryland - fresh, tender, delicious; every bite had me yearning for more. If you're up for a cheesesteak adventure and in the Phoenix area, definately check out this little gem of a cafe. Hands down - Best in Phoenix.

-NWM-

25 Replies Related Threads

rouxdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/04/18 17:13:05 (permalink)
    I'll await Desertdog's comments.
    acer2x
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/04/18 17:45:04 (permalink)
    What are the other contenders?
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/04/18 18:16:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rouxdog

I'll await Desertdog's comments.

Me too.

John
    PhoenixNick
    Junior Burger
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/04/18 18:33:43 (permalink)
    Was a tough one becuase Uncle Sam's was my favorite for years. Granted they do have a larger sandwich, but size isn't everything. Contendors include: Corleone's, Uncle Sam's, Original Hoagie, Best Philly's, Paul's Little Philly, Philly's Sports Bar and Grill, Scott's Generations, and Native New Yorker to name a few. DB's will be next on list.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10259
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/04/18 23:20:51 (permalink)
    There's a Mom &n Pop on the SE Corner of Granite Reef & McDonald in the Basha's Shopping center called Carrera's. It's on the granite Reef side of rthe center. Tony & his bride are from Philly. He's been there over 25 years and does the best Cheesesteak in the Valley. He cooks all his own beef and it's seasoned perfectly. He also does other "from scratch" foods. Can't be beat.
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/04/19 10:15:53 (permalink)

Looks like I have my work cut out for me! I love the cheese steaks at Uncle Sam's, both for quality AND quantity. DB's is also very good, what lacks in quanity there they make up for in quality. These folks are from Philly and prepare everything they can on-site. Considered also a Mom and Pop (young married couple.)

I look forward to trying both Marylyn's and Carrera's. I drove by Carrera's just yesterday, will definitely make a point to get over there next week.

Thanks for the tips, guys!

rouxdog
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/04/19 13:15:54 (permalink)
    D'dog you gotta eat anyway. Pack that camera along!
    PhoenixNick
    Junior Burger
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/04/19 13:26:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for the Carrera tip as well. Look forward to trying that as well.
    desertdog
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/05/03 17:52:46 (permalink)
    OK,

Found time this week to get by a couple of the recommended cheesesteak places listed above.

Maryln's Fish and Chips was first on the list. It was hard not to order fish in this place, from what I could see on the other tables, it looked outstanding. Next Visit.

You can order the cheesesteak by itself, or with a side, I got it with fries for around $5.00 + the price of a drink. It came as they make it, I didn't see that I could customize the sandwich, but I am sure they would change it to your specs if asked.

The meat itself was quite tasty, I am not sure what kind of cheese it was infused with, I would venture to guess white american, and plenty of it, along with bell peppers and onions. The roll was soft and easy to handle without falling apart.

Overall, I liked the sandwich and the small restarant, but living way east of here I would have to be in the area to make another stop. I have to say I still like Uncle Sam's better, and at Sam's there is endless variations to choose from, depending on how you're feeling that day. (Love to put sweet peppers on my sandwich)

Then today I got by Casella's (not Carrera's as posted above). The first thing I found interesting was the decor. I wouldn't know how else to describe it other than 'small town mid west chamber of commerce rec hall and dining facility'..ish.

Lots of wood paneling and pictures of the graduating classes of Saguaro High School from the past 20 years or so, interspersed between two rows of shelving that had nothing on them. Kinda weird, but I wasn't there for the ambiance...(good thing) They are currently celebrating their 30th year in business at the same location. Must be doing something right!

The place was buzzing, and the owners and family were busy making up all sorts of sandwiches. I ordered the Cheesesteak Loaded, which meant cheese, bell peppers, onions and a marinara sauce. I asked for the sauce on the side, along with a bag of chips and a soda pop.

After about 10 minutes they called my name, got my food and paid. Just under $8 for the meal.

My first impression was that this was nothing special, but after taking the first bite, I knew these guys meant business. The meat filling was piping hot, having just come off the flat iron and into a lightly toasted (on the outside) hoagie roll. The flavors really jumped out at me, and I was glad I didn't get the marinara sauce on the sandwich, this baby needed no help and the sauce would have overpowered the flavor of the meat.

Overall, I give Casella's big props for being around so long and making a great sandwich. I finished it wishing I had another. I will absolutely be back.

Maryln's was good, but I would get the fish next time I was there, and I am a big fish and chips fan anyway. That is obviously their specialty.

So, I still like Uncle Sams Cheesesteak overall due to:

1. Atmosphere and Location
    2. Good Sized Portions
    3. Great taste and variation
    4. They serve beer

I have on my list to try Corleone's, and a place called DeFalco's is supposed to be good. I hear Paul's talked about quite a bit as well...I think I ate there years ago, will have to revisit.

DB's Philly is, sadly, no more. I imagine the high rent in North Scottsdale caught up to them before they could get much of a following. So it goes.

desertdog
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/05/09 17:05:02 (permalink)

Defalco's was next on my cheesesteak hit-list, and I had the chance to get by there today for a not-so-quick lunch.

Defalco's is an Italian grocery and deli in South Scottsdale (actually, probably considered north Tempe) with a few tables scattered about amongst the shelves. the place was hopping as I entered, around 11:45.

After almost 10 minutes waiting in line, I got the chance to order. I got the cheesesteak, of course and a nice, cold, imported (Italian) beer.

The process here is that you get your drink, take a seat, and they bring your food out when it is ready. Today was a lovely 96 degrees, so I slipped out onto the patio and grabbed a newspaper, eager to read all about the Sun's destruction of the Spurs last night.

Now, I know they were busy, but it took literally 25 minutes for my sandwich to get out to me! Luckily, this sandwich was worth waiting for.

I have to say, that was one of THE best cheesesteaks I have ever had. The roll was nice and crunchy (but not overly dry) and the meat mixture was hot and heavenly.

I had ordered it with peppers and onions, but mushrooms were also available. Anyway, this was one good sandwich. I had to check after I was done if all of my fingers were still there, cuz I tell ya, I chowed down on that bad boy!

Unfortunately, now every time I drive by there I am going to be torn as to whether I should stop and endure the wait for such a good sandwich!

http://www.defalcosdeli.com/

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/05/10 21:02:29 (permalink)
    Awesome report DesertDog! Talk about someone craving a cheesesteak now...
    desertdog
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/05/14 17:59:28 (permalink)

There seems to be a never-ending supply of Philly Cheesesteak places here in Phoenix, this time it is Corleone's Authentic Phillysteak.

I had my reservations about the place (actually three locations Scottsdale, Phoenix, Tempe), first because the website was flashy, and second because it was "themed."

When I arrived at the Scottsdale location I could see that this had future franchise all over it. It was very McDonaldzy to me. I ordered a full Philly Cheesesteak with onions and peppers, fries and a soft drink, a little over $11.00.

They called my number a few minutes later and I dug in. I did like the fact that you could get sweet and hot peppers along with ketchup, etc. from a condiment bar next to the soda fountain.

But upon grabbing the bun of the sandwich I knew this was not going to be the best sandwich I've had. Although the filling was hot and tasty, the bun itself felt very Bagel-like in its firmness and texture.

I worked my way through the sandwich, but having to tear the bun with my teeth was a little disapointing to say the least. Now, I like a slightly crispy bun, but this was just tough. Pre-frozen and improperly baked? Possibly. I had my doubts that they even bake their own buns...

Anyway, the sandwich had potential, but the bun was a huge letdown. I hesitate to go back and drop $11 again to find out that is how it is always done at Corleone's.

http://www.corleones.net/

CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/05/14 18:56:34 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting. A couple of those look respectable, especially Defalco's. I will have to do my own tour when I get out there which is getting closer and closer due to my son starting Arizona State in August.

He'll be excited to check out the local cheesesteak places to compare with our sandwiches here in the Philadelphia area.
    PhoenixNick
    Junior Burger
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/05/15 20:31:02 (permalink)
    Desertdog: So aside from the wait - Defalco's or Uncle Sam's for you?
    desertdog
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/05/16 00:19:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PhoenixNick

In light of the most recent Cheesesteak I had at Uncle Sam's, (very mediocre) I must give DeFalco's it's due. THAT was one good sandwich!

I still like Uncle Sam's, esp cuz it's 20 minutes closer to my house and work than Defalco's, but I'll have to get back to see if the wait was an abberation or the norm. What has been your experience?

DD

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5076
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/05/16 11:02:56 (permalink)
    An Iowan reviewing Philly food in Phoenix...who'da thunk it?

Brad
    desertdog
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/05/16 16:14:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Brad_Olson

An Iowan reviewing Philly food in Phoenix...who'da thunk it?

Brad

Is this a great country or what??!!!

PhoenixNick
    Junior Burger
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/05/17 18:42:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by desertdog

quote:

In light of the most recent Cheesesteak I had at Uncle Sam's, (very mediocre) I must give DeFalco's it's due. THAT was one good sandwich!

I still like Uncle Sam's, esp cuz it's 20 minutes closer to my house and work than Defalco's, but I'll have to get back to see if the wait was an abberation or the norm. What has been your experience?

DD

Let ya know come Monday - Defalco's is #1 on list to try.
    desertdog
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/05/23 01:40:54 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

DD

Let ya know come Monday - Defalco's is #1 on list to try.

WELL???????

PhoenixNick
    Junior Burger
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/05/29 20:54:38 (permalink)
    quote:

Defalco's was next on my cheesesteak hit-list, and I had the chance to get by there today for a not-so-quick lunch.

Defalco's is an Italian grocery and deli in South Scottsdale (actually, probably considered north Tempe) with a few tables scattered about amongst the shelves. the place was hopping as I entered, around 11:45.

After almost 10 minutes waiting in line, I got the chance to order. I got the cheesesteak, of course and a nice, cold, imported (Italian) beer.

The process here is that you get your drink, take a seat, and they bring your food out when it is ready. Today was a lovely 96 degrees, so I slipped out onto the patio and grabbed a newspaper, eager to read all about the Sun's destruction of the Spurs last night.

Now, I know they were busy, but it took literally 25 minutes for my sandwich to get out to me! Luckily, this sandwich was worth waiting for.

I have to say, that was one of THE best cheesesteaks I have ever had. The roll was nice and crunchy (but not overly dry) and the meat mixture was hot and heavenly.

I had ordered it with peppers and onions, but mushrooms were also available. Anyway, this was one good sandwich. I had to check after I was done if all of my fingers were still there, cuz I tell ya, I chowed down on that bad boy!

Unfortunately, now every time I drive by there I am going to be torn as to whether I should stop and endure the wait for such a good sandwich!

http://www.defalcosdeli.com/

Saturday I decided to take my chances on the wait at DeFalco's and Desert Dog described that sandwich to the T: Heavenly. Probably the best cheesesteak sandwich I've ever had. Check it out, definately worth the wait - Scottsdale Rd. between Thomas and Oak. Condition of fingers: barely in tact.
    Rando
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 117
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2007/09/03 15:38:33 (permalink)
    just went to DeFalco's yesterday and got the cheesesteaks-- they are great and now we know we don't have to go all the way up to uncle sam's anymore to get a good cheesesteak! the atmosphere is great and there's lots of italian grocery stuff. we also got a pound of cheese and parsely sausage that they make there, I'll let you know how that is... my wife ( a phx native) reminisced about their earlier locations with the guy behind the counter and even ran into her landlord from 30 years ago. wierd. we told them about roadfood.com.
    Moniker
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2010/07/19 14:44:16 (permalink)
    I'm so glad I found this board and old thread.  Sorry for the thread revival, but I and coworkers tried a few of these places and overwhelmingly agreed on DeFalco's.  I know it is personal taste, but the following came highly recommended by select staff and we agreed as well.  Try it and it won't disappoint.

Cheesesteak, with only pepperoni, on a hard roll.  (no peppers, onions, etc.)  The roll isn't really hard at all, but has just enought crisp on the outside. 

Now, we are on to find the best of other foods in Phoenix.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2010/07/20 11:09:12 (permalink)
    Here's my post from another Cheesesteak thread. Casella's Italian Deli Flys under the Radar, No Advertising, No web site, just GREAT Cheesesteaks for over 33 years. Regular Customers and word of mouth is their marketing plan. The Real deal!

The best Philly Cheesesteak I've ever had is in Phoenix, AZ! Cassella's Italian Deli is owned and operated by Joe & Tina Casella, two former South Philly folks who came to Phoenix over 33 years ago, opened a Sub & Cheesesteak place at:
    5905 N. Granite Reef Road
    Scottsdale, AZ 85250
    (No Web site)
    They've been at that same location for over 33 years!. Hardly anything has been in the Valley 33 years! That alone tells you they've been doing something right & good in a town where food joints come & go faster than you can change your underwear!
    Their shop is in the Basha's Shopping Center on the Southeast corner of McDonald & Granite Reef in Scottsdale, just off the 101.
    Everything is made from Scratch with top quality ingredients incuding Cheesesteaks, Italian Hoagies, Cold Sandwiches, Hot Sandwiches like Italian Sausage, Meatball, Italian Beef, etc. Dinners include Lasagna & Spaghetti & Meatballs. This family run business is open Mon-Fri 11AM to 6 PM, Sat 11 AM to 3 PM Closed Sunday. CASH ONLY no plastic!
    [link=http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/22/260796/restaurant/Phoenix/Casellas-Italian-Delicatessen-Scottsdale]http://www.urbanspoon.com...elicatessen-Scottsdale[/link]
    <message edited by Foodbme on Wed, 06/16/10 5:04 PM>
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/07/20 11:14:15
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2010/07/20 11:27:52 (permalink)
    Moniker

I'm so glad I found this board and old thread.  Sorry for the thread revival, but I and coworkers tried a few of these places and overwhelmingly agreed on DeFalco's.  I know it is personal taste, but the following came highly recommended by select staff and we agreed as well.  Try it and it won't disappoint.

Cheesesteak, with only pepperoni, on a hard roll.  (no peppers, onions, etc.)  The roll isn't really hard at all, but has just enough crisp on the outside. 

Now, we are on to find the best of other foods in Phoenix.

Welcome to Roadfood. There are tons of posts on here about food in Phoenix. Learn to use the "Search Forum" function at the top of the page and you will find enough places to last for years of eating, weight gain and Wallet emptying! 
    codance
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak 2010/08/01 15:10:28 (permalink)
    Hi All!
    I want to personally invite you to try our cheesesteaks and give us your opinion.
    I own The Phoenix Cheesesteak Company and have an 18' mobile catering trailer/commercial kitchen and all we serve is cheesesteaks.  We serve them "Phoenix-style".
    We use fresh USDA Choice Rib-eye only.  10" roll from a local bakery.
    We have "The Westside" which includes avacados and portobello mushrooms
    "The Phoenix" has jalapenos, roasted green chiles and spicy mayo
    "The Not from Philly" is our original cheesesteak with whiz or provolone
    Cheesesteak fries are a must!
    We are developing quite a following at our two locations- we serve Wednesday and Thursday for now and plan to expand.  
    We chose a mobile kitchen rather than a standing restaurant to keep mobile, keep our overhead low and so we can do events, private or otherwise.

I read this thread (Best of Phoenix Cheesesteak) a long time ago and wanted to get my restaurant up and running before asking all of you cheesesteak fans to try my food.

You can reach us online at  go to the locations page for a map or you can go to
    Twitter @phxcheesesteaks
    We tweet our location each morning.

Let me know what you think!
    (602)402-0997
    Ron Blom
    Owner
    The Phoenix Cheesesteak Co.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1