The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks

WarmBeer

• Total Posts: 77
Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Wed, 06/8/11 1:31 PM (permalink)
Planning on a taste of Philadelphia tour, maybe 6/18 or 6/19 or the following weekend.  Will be trying to hit about a dozen foodie locations.  Would like to narrow down the Cheese steak locations to just 2 or 3.  Hoping I can impose on those here with experience to help.  Probably include Pat's & Geno's due to their proximity and the atmosphere.  Will not include Tony Luke's only cause I've been there many times when attending events in the stadium complex.

This is a list of either Roadfood places or Holly Eats 5 stain locations.  Looking for feedback as to the best of these.  Maybe pick your top 2 or 3 in order so I can make a rank order.  If there is something particularly unusual about any of these atmospherically or historically please note that too.  As always, the food is the main determinator.  

Steve's Prince of Steaks         Jim's Steaks          Chinks       John's Roast Pork

Dalessandro's          Campo's Market         George's Sandwiches

Also, has anyone here tried the $100 cheesesteak at Barclay Prime?  Should I try to include it?  I hope to have at least 5 or 6 friends along so dividing up the cost could make it acceptable if it's worth it.

And if anyone here is interested in joining in on the tour let me know via PM.  The more folks we can include the easier it should be to divide portions for tasting at the various locales.
TIA for your suggestions.
ed

Mags81

• Total Posts: 82
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Wed, 06/8/11 1:39 PM (permalink)
    I'd definitely try and hit John's Roast Pork...I believe they're only open for lunch though, close at maybe 2 or so?  I'd be sure to try and research the hours but it's well worth the stop!

MiamiDon

Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Wed, 06/8/11 2:09 PM (permalink)
      wanderingjew's report on his Philly Cheesesteak tour has a lot of good info: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Cheesesteak-themed-weekend-in-Philly-2008-m389918.aspx

Holly Moore

Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Wed, 06/8/11 2:16 PM (permalink)
        First off, none of the places you list are "foodie" locations. No sriacha, no sous vide preparation. They don't sell "sammies."

My favorites for cheesesteaks are Steve's Prince of Steaks and George's.  Johnny Hots on Delaware Avenue (Columbus Blvd) could also be on your list. Incidentally, Chink's does great milkshakes. There is a relatively new place worth trying too - Jake's Sandwiches, on 12th just south of Sansom.

Try Pat's both because they started it all and they are capable of very good steaks.  Just don't go when there are more then ten people in line.

I prefer John's roast pork sandwich to their cheesesteak.  I am the exception - many people rate it the best. I maintain John's version is more about volume and an abundance of cheese than overall cheesesteakiness.

Barclay Prime's cheesesteak is a gimmick, but I love the idea of six people  splitting a cheesesteak and then leaving.
        <message edited by Holly Moore on Wed, 06/8/11 2:17 PM>

phlmaestro

Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Wed, 06/8/11 2:23 PM (permalink)
          Steve's Prince of Steaks is also my personal favorite, so I definitely recommend trying to hit them.

I also like D'Alessandro's a lot. But it's such a full (lots of meat) and heavy sandwich, that I'd have a tough time eating their cheesesteak as part of a day when I'm eating more than one.

eruby

• Total Posts: 585
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Wed, 06/8/11 2:26 PM (permalink)
            Definitely Steve's Prince of Steaks and John's Roast Pork.

I'd pass on the C-note cheesesteak as too popinjay and too gimmicky, but to each his own.

Below is a pic from Pat's last summer. A bit skimpier than in the past, but still good.

Per John's website, the hours are Mon - Fri  6:45am to 3:00pm
            http://www.johnsroastpork.com/

eagle6894

• Total Posts: 44
              Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Wed, 06/8/11 3:32 PM (permalink)
              Steve's

WarmBeer

Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Wed, 06/8/11 3:48 PM (permalink)
                phlmaestro

I also like D'Alessandro's a lot. But it's such a full (lots of meat) and heavy sandwich, that I'd have a tough time eating their cheesesteak as part of a day when I'm eating more than one.

Thanks for all the quick and thoughtful responses.
                As with the other places on our list, the intention is to just have a taste, sharing a few items among the group and getting the less perishable items to go.  No way I could eat at a dozen places in one day, nor would I want to, nor enjoy it.

ed

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                  Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Wed, 06/8/11 5:19 PM (permalink)
                  Threads like this are why I love Roadfood.  From the food shows one might think the Philly Cheesesteak world begins and ends somewhere between Pat's and Geno's.  I'll file this info for future use.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                    Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Thu, 06/9/11 5:18 PM (permalink)
                    Steve's is also my favorite among the group you mentioned.  I also liked Chink's - yes on the milkshakes, too.  As an added bonus, if you are collecting restaurants that have bizarre, horribly racially insensitive names, this one would have to be on your list.

Triumvirate of shakes at Chink's

I did not like the chopped (nearly ground) nature of the Dalessandro's sandwich.  I had one Roadfood friend describe the texture as being what one would use to fill potholes.

Dalessandro's pothole-filling sandwich  
                    Of the places NOT on your list, you might also consider Cosmi's Deli.  It is not at all far from Pat's and Geno's, so if you are in the neighborhood, you may as well stop by.  I think they make a very worthy sandwich - sliced steak, Sarcone's roll - all done out of a deli storefront.  The guy who owns the place is a character.  It was one of the highlights of our group's most recent Philly Cheesesteak tour.

Cosmi's Deli's excellent cheese steak.
                    <message edited by The Travelin Man on Thu, 06/9/11 5:20 PM>

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
                      Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Thu, 06/9/11 5:36 PM (permalink)
                      Steve's was the best I had (of the 4 I have had)
                      The meat is in large tender slabs, not minced up - delicious

phlmaestro

Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Thu, 06/9/11 5:39 PM (permalink)
                        Nice milkshake shots! When I went to Chink's (tried them and Steve's for the first time back-to-back so I could do a comparison), I was a little disappointed with my cheesesteak, mainly because I didn't think the roll was anything special. I was there late in the day on a Saturday. Perhaps they weren't as fresh as usual. I'm not sure. Just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. But on the plus side, I loved washing down my steak with a high-quality milkshake at a place that had the look and feel of an old-time soda-fountain sandwich shop.
                        But as far as just the steak, I didn't think they were in the same class as Steve's.
                        <message edited by phlmaestro on Thu, 06/9/11 5:40 PM>

lb18532

• Total Posts: 29
                          Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Thu, 06/9/11 8:55 PM (permalink)
                          I've been to Geno's and to Pats but a few weeks ago  I stopped off in Philly on the way home I was told to try Johns Roast Pork thats where a lot of the locals go. I enjoyed it pretty good had a steak sandwich but my mouth was watering as I waited and watched them make the pork sandwiches.
                          Next time I go down I will get the roast pork sandwich .

Jaybo

• Total Posts: 55
                            Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Thu, 06/9/11 9:28 PM (permalink)
                            No Abner's?  They have a video for goodness' sake.

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
                              Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Fri, 06/10/11 2:20 PM (permalink)
                              My vote would be for Steve's Prince of Steaks, which I found thanks to Holly Moore's website
                                http://www.hollyeats.com/

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
                                Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Fri, 06/10/11 2:27 PM (permalink)
                                Holly Moore

First off, none of the places you list are "foodie" locations. No sriacha, no sous vide preparation. They don't sell "sammies." 

Holly, 
                                 I hope you didn't give anyone ideas about a sous vide cheesesteak!!

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Fri, 06/10/11 3:24 PM (permalink)
                                  I just wanted to say something about prices. As you might already know, I'm a cheesesteak nut. I've been to over 100 steak shops in the U.S. and have been to each and every one mentioned on this page (including Jake's Holly - good call).
                                  Be prepared to spend about $9 for a cheesesteak at Pat's and the other well known spots. It's getting crazy price-wise.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                    Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Fri, 06/10/11 3:47 PM (permalink)
                                    Almost makes that $100 job sound downright reasonable!

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Fri, 06/10/11 3:57 PM (permalink)
                                      I've been watching the city steak shops getting closer and closer to $9 and the suburban shops staying closer to $7 for cheesesteaks.

whotony

• Total Posts: 17
                                        Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Wed, 08/10/11 10:04 PM (permalink)
                                        I like Pat's just fine. They get a bad rap for being a tourist spot but the meet is good and not chopped and the rolls are tasty.
                                        I haven't had Ginos in awhile so cant remember if they chop or not.

Delasandro was sold a couple years ago, I haven't eaten there since before selling. A sandwich with slices of cooked green pepper was delicious there a few years ago.

I haven't had a Steves since early 90's before I moved to the burbs.

Never liked Jims even though they get good word all the time.

John's roast pork won the best cheesesteak contest that local sports talk 610 WIP held a couple years ago.

Never heard of Abners or Goerge's, not sure where they are.

So warmbeer. Did you do the food tour?

PostcardPam

• Total Posts: 21
                                          Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Thu, 08/11/11 4:27 PM (permalink)
                                          I also would like to thank Holly for his excellent list of food places.   We used his recommendations when we went down to Philly for the flower show in March.  We tried Campo's and loved it -  The bread was outstanding and the cheese was full of flavor without overpowering the meat.  The place was close to the major tourist spots so it was convenient to walk there.  Employees were very friendly.

WarmBeer

Re:Best of the Best - Philly Cheesesteaks Sun, 08/14/11 5:11 PM (permalink)
                                            Nice to see this resurrected.  Thanks to all for your input.  Unfortunately my tour was delayed but now hopefully will be doing it sometime this fall.  Interesting how different folks preferences vary, often according to what they grew up with.  For me I grew up near Reading PA and always preferred the cheese steak method most places there use, including the standard for the area, V&S Sandwiches, which is to thoroughly chop their meat and really pack it into a soft hoagie roll (you can order soft or hard roll) with sauce on top and cheese on bottom.  The sauce and grease and cheese get thoroughly absorbed into the soft bread.

Happened to be traveling through PA further north yesterday and stopped off at the Powerhouse Eatery in White Haven just off I-80.  I had to have the Lobster MAc & Cheese as soon as I saw it on the menu but my friend order the cheese steak.  Came on a whole wheat Ciabatta roll.  First time I've seen that.  He enjoyed his, as did i mine.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com