Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
2003/05/27 18:37:27 (permalink)

Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans

I will be going there in the near future and need the recommendation for the best po-boy in the Crescent City. Help

42 Replies Related Threads

spamlamb
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/05/27 18:49:05 (permalink)
    Not oyster, but the deep-fried soft-shell crab at Mothers get's my vote.
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2126
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/05/27 21:29:59 (permalink)
    Casamento's. Read the review on the web site.
    fdm813
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/05/28 05:34:47 (permalink)
    Acme Oyster House has a good oyster Po Boy. My favorite though is the Peace Maker http://www.acmeoyster.com/poboys21.html
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13500
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/05/28 05:59:44 (permalink)
    Definately Uglesich's on Barrone. Not such an attractive place, but best Oysters period no matter how you get them, fried,raw and poor boys.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/05/28 10:26:15 (permalink)
    Got to go with the oyster loaf at Casamento's...
    goldsborscht
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/05/28 21:08:32 (permalink)
    I agree with Cassamento's. You will never forget it. Great shirt, too. But their hours are weird. When in the French Quarter, go for Acme. For a party town, why do all of Nawlins' good restaurants open only until 10? But Acme oysters are fried in fluffy corn bread batter, nice and light. Some places it's like rocks. I don't know about oysters, but Dunbar's on Freret has very tasty catfish po'boys. It's amazing how many places in that city stink, so you have to be careful. Definitely stay away from all eating establishments on Bourbon Street. The food is worse than Reno.
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/05/29 02:11:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Stephen -

I can't find the Casamento's review. Is it in New Orleans?

-Yumbo
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/05/30 02:11:09 (permalink)
    Uglesich's gets 1st place, and their catfish po' boy also rocks! But across from Acme is my favorite sandwich IN THE WORLD! Felix's stuffed crab po' boy! It goes on and off the menu, but you can pull a "Five Easy Pieces" and order a stuffed crab dinner with a roll on the side and make your own. Have an Abita Amber with it and you have my "stranded on a desert island" meal.
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/05/30 04:22:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by yumbo

quote:
    Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Stephen -

I can't find the Casamento's review. Is it in New Orleans?

-Yumbo

YIKES! No Casamento's review here. There should be one, but I don't have any pictures to post with it. If anyone has a picture or two of Casamento's, I'd be happy to put up a review. But I hate posting reviews with no pictures at all. Maybe I need to go back to N.O. ... but as noted, the weird hours of Casamento's refer to a long, long summer vacation. Like now.
    tootsie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/09/03 16:23:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by goldsborscht

I agree with Cassamento's. You will never forget it. Great shirt, too. But their hours are weird. When in the French Quarter, go for Acme. For a party town, why do all of Nawlins' good restaurants open only until 10? But Acme oysters are fried in fluffy corn bread batter, nice and light. Some places it's like rocks. I don't know about oysters, but Dunbar's on Freret has very tasty catfish po'boys. It's amazing how many places in that city stink, so you have to be careful. Definitely stay away from all eating establishments on Bourbon Street. The food is worse than Reno.
    tootsie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/09/03 16:25:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by goldsborscht

Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/09/04 20:29:59 (permalink)
    Goldborscht,
    Were this the old days, I would call you out to defend my adopted hometown's honor. We would meet under the oaks in City Park at dawn and it would be oyster po boys at 10 paces. First one to stop eating leaves the field head hung and dishonored in the eyes of gentlemen and women until the end of time.
    1) Casamento's is great and it is now open for the season (R's only)
    2) Acme is fine too. The Northshore location is good as well
    3) Some places are like rocks, but here are a few where the oysters are like soft pillows of down in a five star hotel
    a) Bozo's in Metairie (fried or grilled on the half shell
    b) Mr. B's (fried BBQ'd oysters, trust me, shut up and eat)
    c) Felix's (on Bourbon, one of several reasons to ignore advice)
    d) Franky and Johnny's (fried, hell anything they've got fried)
    e) Moscas (Oysters Mosca-best oyster dish on the planet)
    f) Gumbo Shop (highly underrated po boy)
    g) list goes ad infinitum
    4) Dunbars, excellent reccomendation
    5)Now for the part causing dueling fever:

While Bourbon St. has certainly become (and to some degree, has always been) an Adult Disneyland, there are certainly a number of dining establishments worth mentioning, a couple that are really good and one that is a standard among old line New Orleans Restaurants.
    a) Galitoires (Oysters bienville, rockefeller, halfshell, etc)
    is perhaps the best old New Orleans dining in New Orleans.
    It is sure enough the most fun out of the usual choices.
    b) Mike Anderson's Seafood is not just good, it can be great.
    Excellent grilled and fried fish and the most consistent soups
    in New Orleans
    c) Felix's-Nothing wrong with a tasty bi-valve and a cold one
    here

I could go on here, but I think I generally go on too much. Nothing I like better than belaboring a point.

I will agree that it is easily possible to get a bad meal in this town, but that crack about Reno? We have a chain of gas stations here called Danny and Clydes that I would feel fairly safe in saying that one of their overstuffed po boys is better than any sandwich you can get in Reno. How many "Reno Style Restaurants" are there in New York? Not many I would be willing to venture. New Orleans style places, plenty. Reno Schmeeno! We've got gas stations and grocery store delis with better food (actually, we have some of the best gas station food on the planet. That might make an interesting thread).

Gentlemen,

Ten paces turn and eat.
    LizzieR
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/09/04 21:38:25 (permalink)
    I would have to agree that the Acme is the best but don't expect fancy surroundings, just good food.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/09/04 22:04:18 (permalink)
    Mayhaw Man: Oh yeah? My gas station carries Cheese Nabs!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/09/04 22:46:20 (permalink)
    Seafarer John:
    Yes, but does it carry Elmer's Chee-Wees? This is the original corn-twist snack, and it is still only common in New Orleans. A bar here has them in stock by ordering them. Yum, yum. Think I'll have some when I walk back to the car.
    Uglesigh'sless, But Casamento'sedly, Ort. "Done Been T' N'Awlins Once; Sho' Had A Won'erful Time" Carlton, that Gas-tronome Of Athens, G-A.
    P. S. In The Irish Channel they still call them ERSTERS.
    P. P. S. Go for the barbecued shrimp at Pascal's Manale.
    NY VA Honey
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/09/30 16:33:17 (permalink)
    My vote is for #1. Mike Anderson's (like the man said: "anything fried") It will rise up off your plate, it's so light... and
    #2. Felix. Ahh, Felix. It's "so New Orleans", especially late at night.
    flowercat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/10/19 09:21:07 (permalink)
    I'm a little late here but one of my all time favorite places for oyster po-boys is Mandina's on Canal Street. In fact, it's one of my favorite neighborhood restaurants with fantastic food at a great values.

It is a fairly shoot cab/or bus ride from the Quarter and the street car extension should be up and running pat its door in a few months.

http://www.mandinas.com/
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/10/19 12:29:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by flowercat

I'm a little late here but one of my all time favorite places for oyster po-boys is Mandina's on Canal Street. In fact, it's one of my favorite neighborhood restaurants with fantastic food at a great values.

It is a fairly shoot cab/or bus ride from the Quarter and the street car extension should be up and running pat its door in a few months.

http://www.mandinas.com/

In fact, the streetcar began test runs for safety and driver training last week. The RTA is running radio spots saying that it will be open for business in a couple of weeks. This means that you can ride in a big open ended loop from Carrollton and CLaiborne all the way to the Cemetaries at the end of Canal. Too bad they aren't going to make it go the rest of the way out Carrollton to City Park. Incidentally, for those of you that attend the Jazz Fest, the RTA adds are being read by the same guy who is on that recorded loop you hear going into and coming out of the jazz festival "Thank you for attending the Louisiana Jazz and Heritage Festival....For your fun and safety ...etc.". They are pretty funny ads.

There is alot of good eating along that route. You could start with Five Happiness Chinese and end up with Mandina's or Katies and have about 1000 meals in between.
    gramjack
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/10/19 13:16:37 (permalink)
    whats an oyster po boy and could i make one at home?
    flowercat
    Junior Burger
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/10/19 15:24:59 (permalink)
    I don't know if I'd believe the RTA, I went down Carrollton yesterday to Canal and there is still lots of work to be done, I could be wrong but I think that they are being optimistic.

I would've loved it if they could've extended the Carrollton line all the way to Canal, but could imagine the problems under the I-10 at Airline Hwy. This way I could've taken the street car to my favorite hole-in-the-wall .. Chinese Kitchen.

*An oyster po boy is the same as a shrimp po boy but with oysters .. you start with a fresh French bread/loaf add fried oysters, dress it with lettuce, tomatoes, mayo and hot sauce .. I'm not good at writing recipes .. only cooking.*
    improviser
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/10/19 17:25:03 (permalink)
    I second Mayhaw's recommendation of Danny and Clyde's. When I went to junior high in Harvey, I used to eat there all the time. Their po-boys were always delicious.
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/10/19 18:55:34 (permalink)
    Casamento's definitely is great for its oyster loaf (not exactly a po boy), but for po boys of all kinds (including shrimp or oyster), I'd check out[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=141']Domilise's[/url].
    hawkeyejohn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/10/20 10:20:44 (permalink)
    Never made it past the Acme Oyster House for po'boys. Had the Peace Maker and it was very good. The raw oysters were outstanding, fresh as can be.

Ate at Deanie's on Iberville and had a good meal and appetizers. The service was good also.

On the down side, I can say that Felix's on Bourbon and Iberville was horrible, both in food and service.
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/10/21 09:20:32 (permalink)
    It prolly ain't the best, but it was darn good.
    Cajun Cabin on Bourban street. Great music and as drunk as I was, the food was great too.
    flowercat
    Junior Burger
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2003/10/21 10:23:04 (permalink)
    No one has mentioned Parasol's in the Irish Chanel just off of Magazine .. their roast beef po boys are the best but not as good as Mother's debris po boys which are in a class by themselves.
    New Age Doc
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2004/03/03 18:16:45 (permalink)
    Casemento’s – Family-operated Casemento’s in the mid reaches of uptown Magazine Street is possibly the most authentic oyster house in America. Ignoring the advent of modern refrigeration, Casemento’s still closes in the summer months. Notice on your way in if there is a green wooden barrel in front, which is still used for oyster deliveries. The décor is basically bleached wall-to-wall tile, like a 1950s bathroom. The oysters are sweet and served with a special, time-honed respect. The menu items are classics and have remained unchanged for a generation and the patron is advised to request a full description of classics like “oyster loaf.” The street intersection (Magazine and Napoleon) is well known, but transportation arrangements or directions may be needed. 4330 Magazine Street. 504-895-9761. Reservations not accepted. No credit cards accepted. Closed Mondays and June through August.

paul and louise
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2004/03/03 18:45:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pogophiles

Got to go with the oyster loaf at Casamento's...
    mudbug
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2004/03/03 18:49:07 (permalink)
    I'm going to happily agree with Michael on this one.Domilise's (Uptown at 5240 Annunciation) serves up a killer half and half-oysters and shrimp.Add a Barq's root beer to that order and you are truely wining and dining Uptown style..Further upriver in Jefferson is Crabby Jack's(528 Jefferson Hwy.)Good overstuffed seafood po' boys.In the Quarter you could do worse than Johnny's Po' Boys (511 St.Louis).Johnny's is a classic lunchtime joint with a huge menu.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6827
    RE: Best oyster po-boy in New Orleans 2004/03/03 21:35:19 (permalink)
    The oyster po'boys (and soft shelled crab) at Mother's are scrumptious!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1