Best place for mac and cheese

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Best place for mac and cheese 2007/03/12 23:36:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by boyardee65

Mine, at home!!!
I'll post a recipe soon!! I PROMISE!

David O.

Bring it on! I'm hooked on Pattie's, but I am willing to try worthy alternatives....

Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: Best place for mac and cheese 2007/03/12 23:54:39 (permalink)
There's a place in Manhattan called S'Mac on E12th, just about right next door to Una Pizza Napolitana. I don't think it's the best place for mac and cheese, but it's certainly the only restaurant I've ever seen that ONLY serves mac and cheese. It's a kitchy little place, all decked out in yellow and orange. They have a bunch of variables, including "cheesebureger" (ground beef and cheddar), "Cajun" (Pepper Jack cheese, andouille sausage, green pepper, onions, celery, garlic) and a bunch of different variety of cheeses (goat, brie, manchego, etc...).

I had the "Swiss Mac" with gruyere and slab bacon. The cheesiness was great, but the bacon tasted like little burnt pencil erasers.

It was fun to try once, but I see no need to return.
genewj
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 370
RE: Best place for mac and cheese 2007/03/18 08:10:37 (permalink)
My wife,Mary makes our Macaroni and Cheese and our customers have always raved about it..That is through 3 Fine food restaurants and one Diner..
Now we are serving MEALS to Blacks and Hispanics on the edge of their turf..Items such as collard greens, corn bread,Black eyed Peas, Lima Beans and Hocks..Last but not least Macaroni and Cheese,
We keep doubling up on it every week and still it goes even before the Greens and I had one customer tell me" for a white boy! U sure know GREENS" and still Mary's Macaroni and Cheese is Number 1.
Bob in Cary
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 137
RE: Best place for mac and cheese 2007/03/21 15:50:15 (permalink)
Joyce and Family in Fuqua-Varina has great southern food and fantastic mac and cheese.

http://www.joyceandfamilyrestaurant.com/
efuery
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 630
RE: Best place for mac and cheese 2007/03/21 15:59:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by db1105

I was with my family at the Reading Terminal in Philadelphia on Monday. There are signs up the the Food Network is doing a taping. The kids want to see it so we sign a release and sit down.

It turns out they are taping Dellila's famous Mac and Cheese which won on Oprah. We watch her make a batch. The next thing we know there is Bobby Flay challenging her to a "throwdown" over Mac and Cheese. I thought that show was fixed but Dellila and everyone else there knew that this was going to happen.

We all had a blast being on the show. It was the last thing in the world we expected to do on Monday. They were 2 of the best Mac and Cheese dishes I ever had, but one was far superior. I guess I should wait for the show to air before I let you know. I agreed with the judges though.

It was a fun experience and great for the kids to see how these shows are done.

I saw this on Food Network over the weekend! Bobby Flay won. His had more flavor according to the judges. He used more herbs and had meat in his (pancetta maybe - I can't remember). Delilah said adding meat makes it a casserole and not TRUE mac and cheese.
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: Best place for mac and cheese 2007/03/21 16:18:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pigiron

There's a place in Manhattan called S'Mac on E12th, just about right next door to Una Pizza Napolitana. I don't think it's the best place for mac and cheese, but it's certainly the only restaurant I've ever seen that ONLY serves mac and cheese. It's a kitchy little place, all decked out in yellow and orange. They have a bunch of variables, including "cheesebureger" (ground beef and cheddar), "Cajun" (Pepper Jack cheese, andouille sausage, green pepper, onions, celery, garlic) and a bunch of different variety of cheeses (goat, brie, manchego, etc...).

I had the "Swiss Mac" with gruyere and slab bacon. The cheesiness was great, but the bacon tasted like little burnt pencil erasers.

It was fun to try once, but I see no need to return.

that place is called Saritas mac N cheese!! last time my wife and I went to Una Pizza, we came out and there was a line around the block to get in that joint!! lots of college kids. We def want to try it!
booboobirdie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
RE: Best place for mac and cheese 2007/03/21 16:38:56 (permalink)

Mac and Cheese Carbonara Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay
See this recipe on air Tuesday Mar. 27 at 9:30 PM ET/PT.

Show: Throwdown with Bobby Flay
Episode: Mac 'n' Cheese

1 tablespoon olive oil
1-inch thick piece pancetta, cut into small dice
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 to 7 cups whole milk, heated
4 large egg yolks, lightly whisked
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups freshly grated Asiago cheese, plus more for the top
1 1/2 cups Irish white Cheddar, plus more for the top
1 1/2 cups Mountain Valley Cheddar, plus more for the top
1 cup grated Fontina cheese, plus more for the top
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano, plus more for the top
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked just under al dente
1/2 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 3 quart baking dish and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook until golden brown on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels.

Add the garlic to the pan and cook until lightly golden brown. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in 6 cups of the hot milk, increase the heat to high and cook, whisking constantly until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk in the eggs until incorporated and let cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the thyme, cayenne, and all of the cheese until completely melted, season with salt and pepper. If the mixture appears too thick, add some of the remaining milk 1/4 cup at a time.

Place the cooked macaroni in a large bowl, add the cheese sauce, reserved pancetta and parsley and stir until combined. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Combine together additional Asiago, Cheddars, Fontina, and Parmesan in a bowl and sprinkle evenly over the top of the macaroni. Bake in the oven until heated through and the top is lightly golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving.

efuery
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 630
RE: Best place for mac and cheese 2007/03/21 16:59:42 (permalink)
Bobby's written recipe failed to mention tempering the egg yolks before adding them as he specified on the show. He said to whisk a little of the hot milk mixture into the eggs before pouing it all in. Otherwise the eggs might cook on you.
booboobirdie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
RE: Best place for mac and cheese 2007/04/17 15:35:20 (permalink)
Well, this past weekend was ideal for staying in and cooking, with the 8 inches of rain we got here in CT. I purchased the ingredients for Booby Flay's Mac & Cheese (about $63.00 total) and spent the better part of Sunday morning shredding cheese and metally preparing to be WOWED. Not so much. It was good, don't get me wrong. But SO not worth the $$ and the work. And if you're not a fan of the "stinkier cheeses", as some of my friends are not, this may have just a bit too much stink for you.
jewelrygirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Best place for mac and cheese 2007/05/04 11:15:30 (permalink)
Though I rarely eat it, Mac and Cheese is one of my faves...IMO, best Mac and Cheese can be found at...
B SMITH'S...both in NY and DC
HOME...in NY
HIBISCUS...Dallas
Special mention...ICON GRILL...Seattle..(liked the decor more than the mac and cheese, though)
Very Special Mention...my house, when I make the Patti LaBelle version
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10496
RE: Best place for mac and cheese 2007/05/29 10:46:35 (permalink)
If you are ever in the Akron area, you should try the macaroni and cheese at Beside the Point Cafe in the gourmet supermarket, West Point Market. Instead of macaroni, they use penne pasta. They also use a nice white cheddar cheese and had three little sausage meatballs. Absolutely delicious!
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1103
RE: Best place for mac and cheese 2007/05/29 13:11:50 (permalink)
In Chicago, I like Cullen's on Southport for Mac and Cheese. Good Irish bar with good food.
unabashed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Best place for mac and cheese 2007/07/03 02:08:50 (permalink)
My GRANDMAS , MY MOTHERS MINE BOTH MY BROTHERS MAKE GOOD M/C
HELL I LIKE A BOX OF KRAFT....
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10496
RE: Best place for mac and cheese 2007/07/26 14:18:01 (permalink)
skylar0ne-
Just wanted to let you know that I made it to Keaton's a few weeks ago and made sure I tried the mac & cheese. It was excellent! I was surprised to see it came in little rectangles and was a really nice compliment to the bbq flavor of the chicken.

Thanks for the tip!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1