Best region for pizza in the U.S.

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
Saint Matt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 183
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/01/16 00:58:50 (permalink)
quote:

Nor do I like the pizza available in N. California for the most part. There are some decent pies here, but I've not found an exemplary one.

BT, have you been to either Pizza My Heart or Tony & Alba's? Each has several locations in the Bay Area.
Saint Matt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 183
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/01/16 01:34:19 (permalink)
quote:

I was commenting that for a CHAIN, Round Table is by far the best. Where I live now I only have access to Pizza Hut, which is, for me anyway, inedible. I would prefer to down 3 Dominos pies than eat a slice of Pizza Hut pizza (and I dislike Domino's almost as much)

It's true that for a big chain, Round Table is the best(in California, at least). But some are better than others. My experience has been that the full size Round Table pizza parlors in small towns and the suburbs tend to be much better to the smaller stores in urban areas.

While growing up in Northern California in the 70's and early 80's, the places to get pizza were the Round Table, Shakey's, and Straw Hat PIZZA PARLORS. Sadly, we were soon invaded by Domino's, Pizza Hut, and Little Ceasar's take out/delivery places and the quality of the pizza chains has been going down hill ever since.
Seriousfoody
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/01/18 12:09:26 (permalink)
It is hard to beat the pizza in NYC/New Haven. A coal fired brick oven that reaches temperatures up to 1000 degrees cannot be duplicated in conventional gas or electric ovens and that is what gives the pizza's their unique taste.
crcoll
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/01/19 16:49:41 (permalink)
Going along with the best pizza is on the east coast, I would like to weigh in with a vote for Mack N Manco's on the boardwalk in Ocean City, New Jersey. Nice thin crust, baked in a brick oven with just the right amount of sauce and cheese.

In the winter they are the only store open on the boardwalk (9th Street) and there will still be people up there for pizza in a blizzard. This place does so much busines that in the summer there are three locations within a 5 block span on "the boards" - 7th, 9th and 12th streets, although only the 9th St place is open year round.

Ocean City is a "dry" town, so if you like a brew with your slice, you'll have to get it to go!
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/01/20 03:40:53 (permalink)
Being from Boston....i'd say the best around here is Santarpio's in East Boston with Regina in the North End right on its heels.
I just started a new job where I will be staying NJ (Piscataway) for about a week & 1/2 every month. Any suggestions for pizza in that area...hot dog joints as well....
SouthHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/02/03 23:58:38 (permalink)
NYC metropolitan area. I've tasted pizza in many places, but nothing is ever like a pie from NY. Now, someplaces have something that tastes pretty good and makes a decent meal, but if you want a real pizza. . . gimme a pizza joint in NY. . . almost any pizza joint.
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/02/04 01:49:48 (permalink)
The best Pizza in the United States and Canada is definitely in Buffalo, New York area. I am not a big fan of La Nova Pizza (to dry) but Just Pizza, Besta Pizza, Mazia's Pizza, Bozannas Pizza and Tony's Pizza (Akron, NY) are right up at the top of the pyramid. Believe it or not, you can still get a large pizza in the Buffalo, NY area for under $10.00! Add wings (not Buffalo Wings as everyone else calls them) to your pizza order and you can have a feast for under $20.00!
Ace Holleran
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/02/15 11:36:52 (permalink)
There are OTHER CT pizzas. Sometimes the New Haven aficionados get all het up. My NH favorite is Modern by the way. BUT, The Colony in Stamford has a sublime, ever so-thin-crust, no menus, and an Irish gin mill atmosphere. Luigi's in Fairfield makes apizz' that any NYC jernt would be proud to serve... and just down the road is Beverly Pizza in Black Rock, when you just have to have Greek pizza.
DerangedMetsFan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/04/14 11:53:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PrisonerOfHope

I'm with DerangedMetsFan - Les' Pizza in Patchogue was quite good; probably the best in the area. (My late husband just about LIVED on pizza, so I got to eat at most pizzarias in the area.)

I haven't had a GREAT piece of pizza since I left NY; if anyone knows of a decent place in Chattanooga, I'd love to hear about it. The Domino's here is AWFUL, I had a slice at a place in Warehouse Row's Food Court where the crust was half baked, and I've been to TJ's NY Pizza next to the new Walmart (the best of the lot); none has come anywhere near either a "real" pizza or one of the above-named "pizzas that aren't really pizza."

Looks like I'll have to go back to making my own!

My parents have been going to Les' Pizza since it was opened in 1979. They've always been quite consistently good.

If down in Tennessee, you're resorting to chains, why not eat at the only half-decent national chain around (and headquarted from Melville, LI right on 110): Sbarro. It's not the best, but it beats the crud out of Pizza Hut and Domino's.
radder
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/05/09 23:51:26 (permalink)
Yeah I'm gonna have to call out Buffalo as a not-so-good pizza town, especially if you're referencing La Nova as "great". That stuff is very greasy and incredibly overpriced.

And the blue cheese dip (ranch is even more popular) for pizza is catching on. i think it's a pretty nasty combination but the drunk college kids seem to love it.
tigerborn
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/05/26 00:17:35 (permalink)
Warren, Ohio. Where else could you get Briar Hill pizza? (Pizza with red sauce, a sprinkling of grated romano cheese and hot/sweet peppers). Also known as old-fashioned. Great, healthy, delicious pizza. Originated from the Italian immigrants in the Briar Hill section of Warren. Brothers and Belleria's make good Briar Hill.
CaryMG
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 81
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/05/31 19:54:47 (permalink)
Please ....
How can it any other place but NEW YORK CITY -- where American pizza STARTED.
This isn't even a legitimate question.

It's like askin' "What the best region for mountain climbing.?" lol
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18437
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/05/31 20:00:59 (permalink)
Hey, tigerborn, do you ever read the sports section of the Tribune-Chronicle?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7834
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/05/31 20:34:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CaryMG

Please ....

I completely agree, I can't help laughing when others will mention Oklahoma or Minnesota as the best place to get Pizza. At the same time, I'm laughing hard when at the same time others will "claim" that the best BBQ, Steak and Mexican can be found in the NYC area too. I'm an ex native New Yorker and have traveled around enough to know that we can claim to have the Best Pizza and Kosher Deli, but we're not the best at everything!
Theedge
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/05/31 21:53:46 (permalink)
So if I'm a greek fellow named Dino who is a third generation pizza guy from New York, I move to Minnesota, my pizza is no good? This whole regional thing is a joke.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/05/31 22:44:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Theedge

So if I'm a greek fellow named Dino who is a third generation pizza guy from New York, I move to Minnesota, my pizza is no good? This whole regional thing is a joke.

First of all, I met more guys named Thor or Sven in Minnesota, ok, maybe not Minnesota, Seattle Actually who were making Pizza. I've been to other parts of the country and have tried the alledged "best of the best" nothing compares. Theres' much more to it than that. Climate, Altitude, Water and other factors come into play. Here in Rhode Island, Pizza is good, in Pittsburgh it was good, in Seattle it was god awful lousy, however in NYC and vicinity, even an average slice was great! I did have Pizza in Minneapolis once, this was a while back while I was visiting one of my old coworkers and yes, it was horrendous. I truly think that certain food has its regional qualities, that is what the Sterns write about, I don't think any of their books have mentioned Pizza in Minnesota. That is why I won't eat BBQ in Vermont, or try a hot dog in Alabama, there is just too many local stuff to try that I know just won't be as good elsewhere. Oh believe me, there are plenty of people in NY and Rhode Island and elsewhere who will tell you that their BBQ or Mexican is just as good as anyplace else, better in fact. There are so many New Yorkers who will say that the best Southern Cuisine in the world is at Sylvia's in Harlem and will laugh heartily if you tell them otherwise, but some of know better, I'll continue to enjoy Southern and Soul food at the Coffee Cup in Charlotte, and bypass Sylvia's everytime in NY and head straight to the Carnegie Deli.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/05/31 23:06:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
Originally posted by CaryMG

Please ....

I completely agree, I can't help laughing when others will mention Oklahoma or Minnesota as the best place to get Pizza. At the same time, I'm laughing hard when at the same time others will "claim" that the best BBQ, Steak and Mexican can be found in the NYC area too. I'm an ex native New Yorker and have traveled around enough to know that we can claim to have the Best Pizza and Kosher Deli, but we're not the best at everything!

Being a New Haven native I disagree. I've had lots of apizza in New York. I prefer the apizza in New Haven.
Theedge
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/06/01 09:06:50 (permalink)
Ah sure dat der wandering jewish fellow must be rite. When da snow melts de Dominoes pizza boy will be able to round here again. Sorry a boot dat, gotta get back under de covers, cold spell comin.

You had pizza in Minneapolis once....I’m guessing your coworker didn’t know what he was doing. You can find good pizza in Minneapolis. I picked up the phone book last time I was in a hotel up there and ordered from a place called Carbones, I thought it was great, a little on the thick side.

If you ever have occasion to be in SE MN look me up, I can hook you up with everything from great Q to za to prime rib. You sure as heck don’t want to try anything “regional” here, unless you’re into lutefisk. We are a melting pot.

I've met those that believe it snows year round in Minnesota.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/06/01 18:13:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Theedge

Ah sure dat der wandering jewish fellow must be rite. When da snow melts de Dominoes pizza boy will be able to round here again. Sorry a boot dat, gotta get back under de covers, cold spell comin.

You had pizza in Minneapolis once....I’m guessing your coworker didn’t know what he was doing. You can find good pizza in Minneapolis. I picked up the phone book last time I was in a hotel up there and ordered from a place called Carbones, I thought it was great, a little on the thick side.

If you ever have occasion to be in SE MN look me up, I can hook you up with everything from great Q to za to prime rib. You sure as heck don’t want to try anything “regional” here, unless you’re into lutefisk. We are a melting pot.

I've met those that believe it snows year round in Minnesota.

Ya sure, you betcha!

jrzgirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/06/29 17:31:00 (permalink)
there is no contest, New York and New Jersey win, hands and slices down
mabk34
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/06/30 14:55:38 (permalink)
I haven't had a decent pizza since I moved away from Erie, Pa., in the 70s, where every Italian family of any size has its own pizza parlor.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/06/30 22:27:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jrzgirl

That's funnier than rain on a sunny day, and could come only from someone who has never had apizza in New Haven.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/06/30 22:43:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

That's funnier than rain on a sunny day, and could come only from someone who has never had apizza in New Haven.

Michael,

Until I start seeing 65 mph speed limits and rural country homes and farms between NYC and New Haven, then New Haven still counts as part of the NYC Metro area.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15273
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/06/30 23:00:26 (permalink)

I will set some rather broad limits to the 'region' as I see it. Put Philly/Baltimore on the South end....Buffalo and maybe Pittsburg on the West and Boston on the North. Leave lotsa holes where nothing of merit is happening in some parts within that "Region". Double-stack the part of the map that shows a 30 mile wide spread from Philly to close to Hartford, with some subsets for Buffalo and Boston. (Kind of like the watch/warning colors on the severe weather maps).
I am sure there are great places outside this region, and there are some terrible places within, but the law of averages says you will do better rolling the dice within the line than in Owensboro, KY !
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/07/01 09:56:33 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

Michael,

Until I start seeing 65 mph speed limits and rural country homes and farms between NYC and New Haven, then New Haven still counts as part of the NYC Metro area.

It's still a 75 mile trip to New York, and I've never known anyone from New Haven (and I'm a New Haven native) who ever considered your premise to be accurate.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/07/02 11:06:15 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Michael,

It's still a 75 mile trip to New York, and I've never known anyone from New Haven (and I'm a New Haven native) who ever considered your premise to be accurate.

With a metro population of 20 million, 75 miles is not unusual at all, in fact most maps today have the metropolitan area extending east to Old Saybrook, and the entire length of Long Island due north past Poughkeepsie,west past the Poconos and attaching itself to the Hartford CT, Springfield MA and Philadelphia PA metro area (which now extends into Elkton MD) combining it into one big Megalopolis. In other words there is nothing rural left in between these area. Even today's maps of Boston which only has a metro population of 6 million have their metro area extending west past Worcester, incorporating a good chunk of Rhode Island including Providence and environs, the entire South Shore to Plymouth, the entire North Shore and North to Concord NH

I am sure there was a time many years ago that New Haven was considered a seperate entity. I believe in the 60's and 70's the NYC metro area ended around Bridgeport. Sadly real estate has appreciated disproportinately to people's salaries over the last 20 years and people had to move further out in order to live in affordable homes. I live in East Greenwich RI, which is about 13 miles south of Providence. 10-15 years ago, this area was considered genuinely rural, now North Kingstown which is even further away is just another built up suburb of Providence. Driving down Route 1 in North Kingstown, looks exactly like Cranston driving up Route 2. Cranston is the first Suburb just south of Providence. It blows my mind when people tell me that just 10 years ago, Route 1 in North Kinstown was just a couple of fruit and vegetable stands and a few old motels.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/08/11 10:58:29 (permalink)
Sure, there are many many many good places to get pizza in NY/NJ/CT area, and for that it is the best region hands down.

But it is simply perposterous to think that you can't get a great slice of pizza any where else.

PaulBPool
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 278
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/08/11 11:10:32 (permalink)
New York Metro region. New Haven (Pepe's) also has good pies.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/08/11 11:11:08 (permalink)
By the way, WJ, there are plenty of rural homes and farms beyween NYC and New haven, and the last time I looked the speed limit was 65 mph.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/08/12 20:42:47 (permalink)
quote:

By the way, WJ, there are plenty of rural homes and farms beyween NYC and New haven, and the last time I looked the speed limit was 65 mph.

Definetely not within a 20 mile radius of I95. The speed limit is consistently 55 MPH from Westchester County to Bridgeport where the speed limit is reduced to 45 MPH. Then it's 55 MPH all the way until New Haven when the Speed is Reduced to 50MPH. The speed limit becomes 65 MPH around exit 54 in Branford. As you can see on the Rand McNally map the urban area extends quite deep into Connecticut. Its not what it used to be.

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1