Best region for pizza in the U.S.

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/08/12 22:20:49 (permalink)
As a New Yorker, IMHO there is some truth to everyone's arguments...
1) Yes, believe it or not, you can get to farms and farm stands within an hour or so of driving out of the five boroughs..but again, farmland is getting increasingly scarcer as housing developments crowd out the farmers. In particular, I have friends on Long Island who would say that the area around Riverhead was little but potato and duck farms up until a decade and a half ago..but you should see the houses out there now.

2) I always think that the true definition of New York metropolitan area status depends not only on distance from Manhattan, but allegiance to the baseball teams; the dividing line between Yankee and Red Sox fans has gradually been creeping upward, from around the Stamford area, to past Bridgeport (and God forbid, to New Haven!).

3) I lived in the Bay area of California for a few years in the late 1990's, and I agree, about the best that you are going to get out there is Round Table.

4) For delicious New York pizza, come to the Bronx and try the Full Moon Pizzeria in the Belmont area, truly one of the last authentic Little Italy's left in the region. The regular pizza is delicious; avoid the slices, though, as they tend to be warmed up from full pies made a while before you came in the door.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18660
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/08/12 23:42:27 (permalink)
I'll tell you what, you go and tell all those folks on either side of the Merritt that their country places and farms do not exist. And, whatever you do, never buy any produce at their stands.
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/09/08 21:38:10 (permalink)
The "East Coast?" Is it something in the water or altitude that helps make pizza good? Or is throwing the dough an essential step?
steaklover
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/09/09 20:42:55 (permalink)
There is no such thing as a "Best Region" for pizza. It's just that most immigrants arrived on the East coast, established communities, and sold simple but good food. As they became more successful, they moved to other parts of the country, mostly urban areas that were booming economically and showed opportunity for success, then invited their friends and relatives to join them. These groups (and others) learned their recipes and continued to spread them throughout the country, looking to establish independent businesses in places that were growing in population and offered low start-up costs for people who were willing to work hard.

My personal view of Pizza History in the U.S.

Tossing the dough is entertainment meant to attract attract customers.
The pizza makers at Frank Pepe's say, If you can toss the dough, it's too thick.
Pizzafiend
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/09/15 18:51:40 (permalink)
Simply put Chicago has the best by far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pizzafiend
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/09/15 19:04:49 (permalink)
The ORIGINAL GINO'S ON RUSH EST.1954
NOT AFFLIATED WITH GINO'S EAST EST.1966 12 YEARS LATER) HAS THE BEST IN THE WORLD.THE GINO'S SPECIAL FRESH SAUSAGE(NOT THAT PATTY CRAP),FRESH MUSHROOMS,FRESH GREENPEPPERS,AND FRESH ONIONS.THEY ARE ONE OF THE LAST DEEP DISH JOINTS IN CHICAGO THAT STILL USES FRESH INGREDIENTS DAILY.EVER SINCE GINO JR.THE III TOOK OVER IT HAS GONE BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS WHEN IT WAS IN THE BASEMENT @ 932 N. RUSH UNDER BILLY'S.THEY ARE CURRENTLY REMODELING THE ENTIRE BUILDING AND RESTAURANT WHERE IT IS NOW LOCATED SINCE 1995 930 N.RUSH AND FROM WHAT I HERE ITS GOING TO BE AWESOME I ASKED GINO THE III WHY THE CHANGE AND HE TOLD ME ITS TIME TO MAKE THE CHANGE I WANT IT TO STILL BE THE WAY IT WAS BUT WITH A NEW GENERATIONS FEEL HE SAID HE WILL LET EVERYONE KNOW WHEN THEY REOPEN SOMETIME IN SPRING OF 2006 AND OF COURSE ILL LET ALL YOU ROADFOOD EXPERTS KNOW WHEN THEY REOPEN.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2005/09/16 08:23:52 (permalink)
I understand that here in Boston Pizza was'nt all that popular untill after WW2 we had local pol that was running for office again by the name of James Micheal Curley sometime in the early 50s. His driver was carting him around on the campain trail when James Micheal asked who this guy was by the name of Pizza was because his signs were all over the place he thought pizza was running against him. I believe he was the only guy elected to congress from jail, guess he did things backward. His political carrer spanned over five decades make all the politicans we have today look like a bunch of amatures. Chow Jim
sultan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2007/08/19 20:00:39 (permalink)
well as a minnesotan, i can hardly disagree with any of you that good pizza can be found here short of a non-stop flight to chicago or new york. however, that said, minneapolis is basically an island....far, far away from the lutifisk and hot dishes that are consumed in the rest of the state. once you cross the bridge over the river into the Twin Cities (provided the bridge doesnt collapse), you will find good pizza here....but you have to look...and look hard....most of the places up here serve pizza on a nasty bread with a nasty pizza sauce and equally nasty toppings....but once you are in the city (cities), we do have some good choices. No, you're not going to find the New York or Chicago kind of pizza here. But we have a small chain up here called Pizza Luce' (3 locations, downtown, uptown, and St Paul). And let me tell you something.....its good....REAL GOOD. Its kinda gourmet pizza (ingredients like katamala olives, fotina cheese, pickled artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, etc., but you can also get the the standard pepperoni, sausage, etc.) But its the sauce.....oh this sauce....to hell with New York and Chicago...you think you cant get good pizza here....wait till you taste this sauce....in fact, to hell with the pizza, i'd rather just drink the sauce....its so good, its been compared to the finest wines of the world. its the kind of sauce that doesnt come from a can....its homemade, slow cooked for 8 hours minimum, then stored in refridgeration for 24 hours to bring out its full flavor, then canned until its needed(ok, it is canned, but its still homemade). This sauce is so good....its slightly sweet, slightly sour, and slightly perfect. And this sauce and the pizza its poured onto is baked in brick ovens at molten temperatures until it has that perfect char (try the florentine one.....spinach with Molinari salami...YUM!!!) and you just might re-think what your idea of perfect pizza is. This chain has won regional awards again and again. And ironically, the people who produce this wonderful pizza are mostly college students who are basically drunk and/or high all the time. Perhaps thats why their grub is so good. So the next time you visit minneapolis, skip the lutifisk and the walleye (both are fish), and head down to Pizza Luce'. You will not be disapointed. (aside from the fact that you had to fly/drive up to Minnesota). If you choose to visit St Paul, they have an equally good pizza place called Red Savoy's. But this place is totally ghetto. If you like that kind of thing.
Quartz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2007/08/19 21:28:15 (permalink)
The Midwest. Chicago Style Pizza is the best. Pizzapapalis (the original location in Downtown Detoit) Little Caesars, Domninoes, Hungry Howies, of course, a lot of Italians populate the Midwest as well. Then we have Louies, Buddy's, Shield's, etc.
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2007/09/03 20:52:49 (permalink)

Any other recommendations for Pizza in the Buffalo area????

janifer
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2007/09/03 21:20:52 (permalink)
How 'bout in the Kent/Akron Ohio vicinity? But NOT Luigi's on North Hill; no idea why people rave about that place. Since the demise of Loft Pizza in downtown Kent I have a hard time getting my fix when back in the area.
JBarry713
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2007/09/05 22:56:36 (permalink)
Connecticut (esp. New Haven)
dirtdog58
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2007/09/08 13:02:21 (permalink)
Grampy,come down to Sringfield & try the Red Rose on main street in the south end.The BEST in western Mass.Also Tony's on Boston road in the pine point section of the city.Another great place (in my humble opinion)is pizza pub,rt 20,Boston road in Wilbraham.The valley advocate run's a best of the valley every year.You can get some great idea's in there.But the Rose is SINFULLY good
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 903
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2007/09/08 13:52:19 (permalink)
Has anyone read the book "Pizza: A Slice of Heaven" by Ed Levine (2005, Universe Publishing)? It's basically an atlas to all the best pizza in the USA, though it does address great pies in other countries. It's a super read for all reading this thread -- because we're obviously pizza lovers, regardless of region.

Dirtdog, thanks for the Pizza Pub suggestion! I work in Wilbraham and sadly have never heard of it. But Red Rose is very good, and if you ever make it across the line, Randy's Wooster Street Pizza in Manchester, CT is excellent, too. For all Eastern CT residents like me, you'll be happy to know that Frank Pepe's of New Haven is opening a place in Manchester!
Glazoo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2007/09/13 07:40:33 (permalink)
I don't want to alienate half of the people on here with my first post BUT....
My feeling is that the East coast has more places where you can get a great slice of (at least to my way of thinking) the most authentic version of pizza. I consider myself lucky to live in CT where thanks to the popularity of the New Haven pizza joints there is a bunch of good pizza joints within a short drive.
I've had some wonderful Chicago style pizza but it's more like a country Fair version of pizza like the giant overstuffed baked potato etc...
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8496
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2007/09/13 08:15:50 (permalink)
I have had many good pizzas across the country, but the best thin crust pizza i have ever had( and continue to do so) is in our Italian community here in Milwaukee. The tiny restaurant is called Zaffiros and they still have the pepperoni that curls up as the pizza bakes, unlike the mass produced pepperoni that seems to be the norm.The crust is so thin that you can fold it up and eat like a sandwich...and no processed sausage either.I believe they get theirs from Dentice Brothers down the street...yummy.
bigd
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2007/09/24 18:32:25 (permalink)
I spent about 3 yrs traveling on biz weekly to Buffalo. Excellent Italian food, beef on Weck and wings. I never had good pizza and I went to dozens of places. It was too thick of a crust, greasy and undercooked..like really bad NYC style.

Best pizza region is CT where the wood-fired thin, cracker like crust rules. This pains me coming from Chicago originally. NYC style pizza is very good and comparable to Chi thin pizza. Chicago crust tends to be a bit thinner than NYC's and has more cheese.

On the deep dish side, Chicago is the best by far. I have never had a deep dish pie outside of the city that equaled a bad one in chicago.
machineman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 95
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2009/01/18 21:45:44 (permalink)
bigd

I spent about 3 yrs traveling on biz weekly to Buffalo. Excellent Italian food, beef on Weck and wings. I never had good pizza and I went to dozens of places. It was too thick of a crust, greasy and undercooked..like really bad NYC style.

You missed the point. :)  The Buffalo pizza style has a crust thicker than "NY" style but not as thick as Chicago style. It has texture and usually the best spots there blend their own sauces and even their own pepperroni... For a good example, try Bocce or La Nova, or countless others. You don't find NY style pizza in Buffalo.  Never understood why people like eating stuff off of a floppy cracker ;)

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2009/01/18 22:01:08 (permalink)
My first thought when I saw this thread was to start a new one called "whats your favorite regional pizza?". What the difference? Hmmm? We have two chili threads with the same question. :~)

My fave is a Mexican pizza. Hey... I'm in Texas! A flour tortilla, some tomato sauce, a few spices, Chorizo sausage, and some white Mexican cheese. Oh... and pickled jalapenos!

OK, OK, I's not REAL pizza! :~)
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Best region for pizza in the U.S. 2009/01/18 22:05:50 (permalink)
My first thought when I saw this thread was to start a new one called "whats your favorite regional pizza?". What the difference? Hmmm? We have two chili threads with the same question. :~)

My fave is a Mexican pizza. Hey... I'm in Texas! A large flour tortilla, some tomato sauce, a few spices, Chorizo sausage, and some white Mexican cheese. Oh... and pickled jalapenos!

OK, OK, I's not REAL pizza! :~)
Joe
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1