The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Best way to get customer feedback?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 44 of 44
Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
  • Roadfood Insider
Re:Best way to get customer feedback? Sat, 11/10/12 10:27 PM (permalink)
Are this guest that leave feedback forced to leave personal contact information?  I doubt they are and if they are I'd bet the number of participants would be reduced drastically.

And if not how did all this happen?: "My friend got in touch with the person who left the feedback and assured her that it's fixed. Another example is when my friend was not at the restaurant, he saw a negative feedback left by a customer. My friend checked the time stamp and found out who was the manager on duty" ?

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Best way to get customer feedback? Sat, 11/10/12 10:45 PM (permalink)
    Your software idea sucks think of a new one.

My customers (new) tell me they heard of me from someone local that raved about our food. That makes my day. I have the occasional  customer that complains about some small thing (changed menu) and I try to help them understand the reasoning, but to buy a system or pay a consultant no way.

I worked in Radio for 27 years and the companies I worked for always had a consultant.Which is (human Software) and I found they (the consultant) were always the people that couldn't get ratings in the real world.

And the truth be know there was more than one occasion that I told management that they had to fire the consultant or I was walking. I never walked!

If an owner or manager doesn't have enough sense to watch over his food business he should lose it.

Ice Cream Man

• Total Posts: 1370
      Re:Best way to get customer feedback? Sat, 11/10/12 10:54 PM (permalink)
      Maybe it's on the bill.
      I didn't leave you a tip because my table is tipsy.
      Doctor Jack  (LMAO) or maybe I was tipsy.

Bei

• Total Posts: 14
        Re:Best way to get customer feedback? Sun, 11/11/12 2:49 AM (permalink)
        This is a really really interesting phenomenon.
        It has come to my attention that many veterans in the restaurant industry are quite conservative and are usually afraid or can't be bothered with change, especially if the change involves technology. This includes my mother, who has been in the industry almost all her life, and it's hard even for me, who has worked in technology all my life, to convince her sometimes.  When "outsiders" dare to think they can help you, you won't give them the time of day. That's why I would get comments such as "Your software idea sucks think of a new one" without me even disclosing what it is. I get it. You are jaded because of the amount of ****ty software out there that claim to "change your life" but are nothing more than a waste of time and cause of heart attacks.  As restaurant owners, I'm sure you've rolled your eyes when you visit another restaurant that has supbar food and horrible service that are so obvious to you. I feel the same way toward bad software, and I pour my heart into making my software excellent as you would with your food. More importantly, I am here to listen to your feedback and exchange ideas with you so I can refine my "software idea that sucks" to hopefully craft something great that you might just like.   Ice Cream Man put it quite well a few posts back. We are here to exchange ideas and help each other. Keep an open mind, and we really don't need that high horse.
        <message edited by Bei on Sun, 11/11/12 2:53 AM>

Bei

Re:Best way to get customer feedback? Sun, 11/11/12 3:02 AM (permalink)
          Ice Cream Man

You'll be waiting until you can PM me, it's not that many days.

But just think, if I like it you can attach this thread to it and say look if I can convince him it must be good.  

That's fine as long as I still have slots open for early testers in 12 or so days. I have 5 slots total to give out in different online communities as we cannot handle many more restaurants currently, so we are picking candidates carefully. You seem to be a great candidate because of your lack of trust to survey tools yet you keep an open mind about possibilities. I will be sure to let you know if I can accomodate you once I can PM.

Bei

Re:Best way to get customer feedback? Sun, 11/11/12 3:08 AM (permalink)
            Dr of BBQ

Are this guest that leave feedback forced to leave personal contact information?  I doubt they are and if they are I'd bet the number of participants would be reduced drastically.

And if not how did all this happen?: "My friend got in touch with the person who left the feedback and assured her that it's fixed. Another example is when my friend was not at the restaurant, he saw a negative feedback left by a customer. My friend checked the time stamp and found out who was the manager on duty" ?

The personal contact info is optional in the current tests. We've noticed that people that have suggestions or a very negative experience tend to leave their contact info (in these 2 cases they left their emails). It would make more sense if you know how the software works. I might disclose more in the coming days.
            <message edited by Bei on Sun, 11/11/12 3:21 AM>

Ice Cream Man

Re:Best way to get customer feedback? Sun, 11/11/12 11:58 AM (permalink)
              I think where were going astray here is you are on a site trying to tell people who are at the top of their game that a survey will tell them what they already know. I don't think your software will help me but I've been wrong before, who I think it will help is my competitors who are dropping like fly's. They've got the cart but no horse (I like that saying). They would pay for your software but unfortunately they are broke.

Ice Cream Man

Re:Best way to get customer feedback? Sun, 11/11/12 12:01 PM (permalink)
                And telling me if I don't jump now it may be to late doesn't help your credibility I wasn't born yesterday.

Bei

Re:Best way to get customer feedback? Sun, 11/11/12 1:25 PM (permalink)
                  Ice Cream Man

I think where were going astray here is you are on a site trying to tell people who are at the top of their game that a survey will tell them what they already know. I don't think your software will help me but I've been wrong before, who I think it will help is my competitors who are dropping like fly's. They've got the cart but no horse (I like that saying). They would pay for your software but unfortunately they are broke.

What I have observed is that this tool helps people that are at the top of their game. My friend who is testing it out runs one of the most successful restaurants in the city, and he was able to utilize the tool to his advantage. On the other hand, I have talked to restaurants that are clearly not at their prime, and these owners generally make up excuses and are close minded about implementing a tool that might help them. 

As I explained, I am picking candidates very carefully now so it's not a waste of everybody's time, as the software is in a very nascent stage and cannot accommodate a lot of users. Rapid iteration is very important for a software in this stage, so I'm merely saying anything could happen in two weeks (including pulling the plug), and I said you are a great candidate and I will let you know if it could accommodate you then. It's not like you are paying me to do this, and I am patiently explaining myself to you so there isn't misunderstanding.

GT at Comment Box

• Total Posts: 3
                    Re:Best way to get customer feedback? Thu, 11/22/12 11:45 AM (permalink)
                    Hepcat

Ice Cream Man
                    If it's garbage I just won't go back.

Ideally though you'd want to get an inkling that something is wrong before it reaches that point and your business really starts to sag.

Good point Hepcat. Lots of restaurant owners do want to get an inkling that something is wrong so that they can correct the problem and improve. What we hear a lot here at Comment Box HQ is that owners and managers would prefer that if a patron is going to make negative comments, they would rather get those comments sent to them directly instead of the comments being posted on Yelp, UrbanSpoon, Trip Advisor etc. The comments remain 'in-house' and are anonymous (if the customer chooses) so patrons are more likely to be honest knowing their identity is not revealed. 
                    GT 

(Here's my disclosure -- I just joined this forum today and I look forward to joining the conversation about customer comments, feedback, etc so I can continue to learn more and so we can improve our free customer comment software (It is called Comment Box - virtualcommentbox.com). It is 'live' and businesses are successfully using it now and we learn quite a lot from talking to them, but I find forums like this a great place to get very honest, direct (Ice Cream Man :-) ), real-world feedback on what works for people)

GT at Comment Box

Re:Best way to get customer feedback? Thu, 11/22/12 11:47 AM (permalink)

PS - I love that as a new user that I am a "Junior Burger" lol

Ice Cream Man

Re:Best way to get customer feedback? Thu, 11/22/12 1:06 PM (permalink)
                        I'm not denying that there is a market for your product if you won't deny that good owners don't need to waste their time and annoy their customers with surveys.
                        If you give poor owners enough tools some of them may wake up and survive.
                        I don't send food back or complain to owners, what's the sense, do you think if his roast beef is like shoe leather he will fix it ?
                        The reason it's that way is he bought it because, it was cheap or he doesn't know how to cook it. If he doesn't think it's bad he'll just say I don't know good food when I taste it. Next year when I go by he'll be gone. 

GT at Comment Box

Re:Best way to get customer feedback? Thu, 11/22/12 3:36 PM (permalink)

Ice Cream Man

I guess it all depends on what one considers a "good owner" to be, but sure, some may choose to not spend time reviewing customer feedback. Their restaurant, their rules. 

In terms of 'is there a market for our product?' I can answer unequivocally: yes. Restuarants (and more) have been using Comment Box and have found it to be beneficial to their business (and their customers).  Just to be clear -- this is GT from Comment Box, not 'Bei' who initially started this thread - two different people and two different products. We're in Toronto Canada and Bei is in Huntsville AL

Customers and owners alike have the option to ignore the opportunity to leave feedback. With Comment Box, one thing we kept a focus on was simplicity. Nobody likes filling in long surveys. My eyes are glazing over jut thinking about it.  In fact, you have pretty much lost someone if you ask anything more than two questions. We set things up so that owners have the option to ask users to rate up to two categories (say Food and Service) out of 5. Customers use their mobile phone / iPad etc and within a couple of taps they have left feedback. 2 questions. Done.  

Actually, they are not even questions -- they just rate Food and Service from 1 to 5 by tapping on the corresponding number.

They do that the option to leave more comments... but only if they want. Also at their option: they can leave their email address if they want to win a prize (but that is only switched on if the restaurant owner wants it on)

But yes -- you are right about some owners. They can get all the customer comments in the world and it is not going to make a lick of a difference. And like you say, they will be out of business within a year.

PS, your username is not a reference to the Van Halen song by the same name is it? If so, that is pretty cool.

Ice Cream Man

Re:Best way to get customer feedback? Thu, 11/22/12 4:23 PM (permalink)
                            Good owners exceed their customers expectations.
                            There are quite a few on here.
                            My username is what all the kids in town call me when they see me away from my store. Kind of makes me laugh. 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                              Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 44 of 44

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com