Best way to store food overnight in food truck?

Author
Quesadillalady
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2011/03/03 10:04:31 (permalink)

Best way to store food overnight in food truck?

Hello, I'm in the midst of opening a food truck. I have a NSF refrigerator to keep pre-cooked items in during operation. However, from time to time there will be some items that can be re-used during the following day. My question is what is the best way to keep them cold during this 12 hour period. My generator that powers the fridge must leave the sight after closing. My mobile unit will stay in the same location, (not so mobile)However, I know that refrigerators can take a while to cool back down to the appropiate temperature. Would I be better off finagling a way too keep the generator running the fridge or using a cooler and turning off the fridge overnight? I'd hate to run the fridge overnight for a few ingredients. Does anyone have an estimated time on how long it takes a commercial 28'' fridge to cool back down? Thank you for your insight.

6 Replies Related Threads

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6175
    Re:Best way to store food overnight in food truck? 2011/03/04 17:52:25 (permalink)
    Your in the wrong Forum, sctoll down to the second to the last Topic, Restaurant Professionals, many truck vendors there.
    In answer to your question, no electricity, and you got room temp in no time flat, 2 hours max, for a fridge that size. If it's in a 28" fridge, take it home, I'm sure it will fit in your fridge there!
    Riss
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Best way to store food overnight in food truck? 2012/05/25 10:06:02 (permalink)
    Why wouldn't you put an inlet on the truck (like an RV) where you can switch the power from the generator to direct power? This would allow you to keep the refrigeration running when the generator is turned off. Moving the food to a refrigerator in a home would be against most public health codes, but an approved commissary would be ok.
    fatOlady
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Best way to store food overnight in food truck? 2012/06/03 00:05:30 (permalink)
    Hi. I am just starting a food trailer myself and have had some of these same questions. Would you please share what you have learned and what you do to solve the problems with overnight food storage?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

lornaschinske
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Best way to store food overnight in food truck? 2012/06/03 12:43:08 (permalink)
    We have kept an under counter 4 cf frig (and a 4 cf freezer -- residential haier/danby brand) off power for up to 10 hours while traveling in an RV. That is a unit completely full of already cold food. I might risk it if I could pack the fridge with the frozen nordic ice packs in addition to the food. It really depends on the food (whole tomatoes, whole onions, ketchup, mustard, pickles & similar... not mayo) and length of time as well as ambient temps For just a few items, I would stick it in a cooler and tote it home. Double bag in freezer zip locks and place in the coldest/non freezing part of your home fridge. We ran a dedicated under counter fridge at "home" for our food cart. Since we live in RV parks where we can dump our waste water in a commercial sewer and refill water from a commercial approved water source, I'm not sure how that counted but we kept a dedicated fridge for the cart. No one ever asked us about it. One HD asked if we tossed the food we cooked every night. We said yes, because we didn't have cooked up food left. we cooked to order. Best to pick up a dorm fridge to use as a dedicated unit for that at home. Then don't tell the HD. Don't lie if asked point blank, but you don't need to volunteer info. Since you would only open it to put the food in and remove the next AM, it should be safe.
    post edited by lornaschinske - 2012/06/03 12:45:15
    THE WILD DOG
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:Best way to store food overnight in food truck? 2012/06/03 20:00:22 (permalink)
    you guys really need to do research on this stuff PRIOR to spending the money for a food truck. You must either get a commissary or plug in your equipment over night. via INLET or keep the generator running, PLUS if your generator must leave the site every day, not sure how long you would want to lift and take down the generator. How come you can't bolt it to the truck bumper ? doesn't seem practical to do what you are doing, but that's just MHO.
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Best way to store food overnight in food truck? 2012/06/03 20:37:53 (permalink)
    WE don't need a commissary. Not all states require commissaries.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1