Better Than I Realized? (In MY area???)

Author
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
2004/07/03 13:44:08 (permalink)

Better Than I Realized? (In MY area???)

After being on the roadfood logs for over a year now & having plenty of time to review other areas (reviews, etc.), I must say that I am totally amazed at the $$$ of some of the items listed. A good example is seafood, aka raw oysters... I have read reviews on this site where same costs in excess of one dollar EACH. That is a shame. I can get fresh Apalachicola oysters RETAIL (at a restaurant!!) for about 35 cents each. These oysters slept in the bay just last night. I don't know, & maybe it's just me, but I would never pay some of the prices I have seen on the roadfood reviews for food, be it seafood, steak, etc., ET. AL.

http://www.barnaclebills.com/

10 Replies Related Threads

shanklemsw
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Better Than I Realized? (In MY area???) 2004/07/03 13:50:58 (permalink)
    I agree. I think since the economy is different in some places the prices are too. I wouldn't pay a lot for shrimp somewhere because it's best in my backyard.

Now where is that pesky Toto?
    Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Better Than I Realized? (In MY area???) 2004/07/03 17:42:10 (permalink)
    There are a LOT of spelling errors on that menu, and I really hope the one I've printed below is one of them. It can't possibly be what it says, can it?

Smoked Salmon Dip Sandwich
    Our wold famous dip on toad with lettuce, tomatoes and fries...........$5.99
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Better Than I Realized? (In MY area???) 2004/07/03 20:22:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

There are a LOT of spelling errors on that menu, and I really hope the one I've printed below is one of them. It can't possibly be what it says, can it?

Smoked Salmon Dip Sandwich
    Our wold famous dip on toad with lettuce, tomatoes and fries...........$5.99

Knowing Jeff, it just might be...

However, I've always known his page was full of errors, but I must have missed this one...
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Better Than I Realized? (In MY area???) 2004/07/04 01:36:12 (permalink)
    quote:

Never can tell. The (quite fancy) restaurant in the Fallsview Marriott in Niagara Falls, Ontario, where my wife and I stayed on our honeymoon, promised that one of the dinner entrees was served on a bed of mescaline! Now, I realize that Canada is more permissive than the US in many ways...
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Better Than I Realized? (In MY area???) 2004/07/04 14:27:19 (permalink)
    Apalachicola oysters are the the best east of the Mississippi.

http://www.visitfranklincounty.com/seafood.htm

http://www.apalachicolabay.org/

http://www.apalachicolabay.org/listings.cfm?catid=78

http://www.floridaseafoodfestival.com/geninfo.cfm

http://www.apalachicolariverinn.com/bossmenu.html

Baked Apalachicola Oysters with Caramelized Onions and Chili

serves 4 {(HA!!!! This is a half-order for me...)}

24 freshly shucked Apalachicola oysters on the half shell
    2 onions, quartered and thinly sliced
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    24 very thin small slices of pancetta or bacon, cut into pieces small enough to just cover the oyster
    Dried hot chili, coarsely ground or cayenne pepper to taste
    1 cup breadcrumbs made from day old French bread
    1/4 pound unsalted butter
    2 cups rock salt

Preheat oven to 450 F.

In a medium skillet add the oil and onions and cook over medium heat until golden in color, stirring often, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside

Place the rock salt on oven-proof pans and place the oysters around. Spoon a little onions on the oysters, just enough to cover. Place a dab of butter on each oyster, give each one a pinch of hot pepper, then add the pancetta and scatter the breadcrumbs on top.
    Bake until the pancetta is a little crispy, the breadcrumbs golden and the oyster hot through and through. About 10 -?- 12 minutes.

Another favorite is to simply take some freshly shucked oysters in 1/2 shell, cover liberally with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, some cooked bacon crumbles with a bit of added bacon grease, and perhaps a dash of your favorite pepper sauce. Bake until cheese STARTS to melt. I can eat these all night. Microwaved = quicker.

shanklemsw
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Better Than I Realized? (In MY area???) 2004/07/04 19:07:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

quote:

Never can tell. The (quite fancy) restaurant in the Fallsview Marriott in Niagara Falls, Ontario, where my wife and I stayed on our honeymoon, promised that one of the dinner entrees was served on a bed of mescaline! Now, I realize that Canada is more permissive than the US in many ways...

You ARE a Lucky Bishop!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Better Than I Realized? (In MY area???) 2004/07/05 11:18:14 (permalink)
    Adj: Apalachicolas are indeed fine oysters and we have enjoyed many dozens of them. But I would gladly exchange all the oysters in Florida
    for a few dozen Chincoteagues or Blue Points, or Malpeques, just to name a few that are produced east of the Mississippi.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Better Than I Realized? (In MY area???) 2004/07/05 11:27:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Adj: Apalachicolas are indeed fine oysters and we have enjoyed many dozens of them. But I would gladly exchange all the oysters in Florida
    for a few dozen Chincoteagues or Blue Points, or Malpeques, just to name a few that are produced east of the Mississippi.

How true! BUT, can you buy them at dockside?

Better yet, harvest them for free?
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Better Than I Realized? (In MY area???) 2004/07/05 16:11:29 (permalink)
    I am so envious of those of you by the water. I can't say I miss seafood because I've had so rarely an opportunity to have the real thing, but I know I would love each little bit.

Even on toad.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Better Than I Realized? (In MY area???) 2004/07/05 16:43:06 (permalink)
    Adj: the only place I ever saw them available off the boat was in Chincoteague. but that was always a hit and miss affair - you could never count on finding such oysters. As for harvesting your own: so far as I know all oyster beds along the east coast are privately owned or controlled and one is sure to be in big trouble or maybe even dead if you go near those beds with any harvesting equipment.

You are indeed fortunate to be able to get such fresh oysters in the Apalachicola area.!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1