Better than Cheerwine and not what I was expecting.

Author
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8408
2014/04/01 23:36:43 (permalink)

Better than Cheerwine and not what I was expecting.

Mayor Al, you have to try this and give me your opinion.

World Market, Cost Plus was having a sell on their old timey sodas.  They were 99 cents each instead of $1.49.  I bought a Nesbitt's Lime Rickey, a few new to me root beers and the one that surprised me...

MacFuddy Pepper Elixir.

I didn't bother reading the label.  I was expecting something akin to Moxie.

This was the best black cherry soda I've had in years.  Very reminiscent of the old Dr. Brown's when it had real taste.  I'll be happy to pay the $1.49 if I see it again.

Excellent!

4 Replies Related Threads

harriet1954
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1165
    Re:Better than Cheerwine and not what I was expecting. 2014/04/02 09:39:55 (permalink)
    Mar - I'm wondering if that black cherry was a take on the long-missed Philadelphia favorite, Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak. We don't have World Market/Cost Plus here (I remember Cost Plus from when I lived in the Valley!), but there's got to be an equivalent where I can find out.

Also, when you mentioned the word "rickey", my ears perked up because that's the earliest fruity drink of that type I remember drinking, ever. There was a candy store across the street from my grandparents' house in Philly, and my grandfather would take me there and sit with me while I drank a grape rickey from the fountain. Very sweet memories whenever that word is mentioned!
    pineyhill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 124
    Re:Better than Cheerwine and not what I was expecting. 2014/04/02 11:41:57 (permalink)
    http://www.bevreview.com/...acfuddy-pepper-elixir/
    "I'm going to say it right now… this drink is a lot like Dr Pepper, but so much better. It's Pepper with black cherry overtones, but not quite like Cherry Dr Pepper. The real fun comes in the aftertaste, where the actual use of pepper in the ingredients produces a burn in the back of your throat, much like really good ginger beer. Carbonation is strong, with a strong "burp factor." The use of cane sugar produces a clean, sweet flavor. This one is differently a winner!"
    Above is from the review......

http://www.amazon.com/Ret...xir-Pack/dp/B0064I0FDO
    Wow, that is an expensive proposition!!!!!!!
    post edited by pineyhill - 2014/04/02 11:43:00
    harriet1954
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1165
    Re:Better than Cheerwine and not what I was expecting. 2014/04/02 11:49:58 (permalink)
    pineyhill

http://www.bevreview.com/...acfuddy-pepper-elixir/
    "I'm going to say it right now… this drink is a lot like Dr Pepper, but so much better. It's Pepper with black cherry overtones, but not quite like Cherry Dr Pepper. The real fun comes in the aftertaste, where the actual use of pepper in the ingredients produces a burn in the back of your throat, much like really good ginger beer. Carbonation is strong, with a strong "burp factor." The use of cane sugar produces a clean, sweet flavor. This one is differently a winner!"
    Above is from the review......

http://www.amazon.com/Ret...xir-Pack/dp/B0064I0FDO
    Wow, that is an expensive proposition!!!!!!!

Nope, definitely doesn't sound anything like Black Cherry Wishniak! Thanks for that little review, though. 

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8408
    Re:Better than Cheerwine and not what I was expecting. 2014/04/02 14:31:03 (permalink)
    Pineyhill...  At first my thought was exactly... Dr. Pepper.  But as I sipped more, the black cherry taste became more pronounced and became the main taste.  The after taste is a kick!

Harriet, I haven't tasted the Lime Rickey yet.  That will be tonight's sugary treat.  I share the bottle because I'm off of my diabetes medications due to what it was doing to my kidneys.  Must be careful now.

I'm hoping the lime rickey will be like the old lemon lime Nesbitt's I used to love.  They only had the Nesbitt's lime rickey and peach which I did not buy.  It just sounds nasty to me.

One of the root beers was fantastic... smooth and delicious with vanilla undertones.  It's called Old Town Root Beer Company.

Made in Temecula, CA.

post edited by mar52 - 2014/04/02 14:32:05
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1