Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
GeoNit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 378
2008/11/05 17:30:08 (permalink)

Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak?

Tony Luke's Roast Pork Sandwich

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/07/AR2008030701372.html?wpisrc=newsletter

31 Replies Related Threads

db1105
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2008/11/10 22:39:42 (permalink)
    Pat's or Geno's are the best when you want a cheesesteak at 4am or 8am. there are a lot of great cheesesteak and hoagie shops in the Phil/South NJ/and N. Del area.
    Surfinglbi23
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/01/27 17:10:04 (permalink)
    Tony Lukes is great, so are Pats and Genos ... totally different sandwiches though ... As far as Roast Pork goes, its one of the best in the city ... cheesesteaks all depend on what you are looking for and how you eat them, everyone does it a little different.                
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4524
    RE: Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/01/27 18:01:05 (permalink)
    Surfinglbi23

Tony Lukes is great, so are Pats and Genos ... totally different sandwiches though ... As far as Roast Pork goes, its one of the best in the city ... cheesesteaks all depend on what you are looking for and how you eat them, everyone does it a little different.                

Welcome to Roadfood!!! 

Great first post!!!

exsquidao
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/01/27 18:29:53 (permalink)
    Ya know what's better than all them sandwiches? a #7 outta Tampa Bay courtesy of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

And for what it's worth, and I know it's not worth anything, but even though I know people have worked very hard on this new website/format I really think it sucks, sorry but I do.
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 900
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/01/27 18:53:27 (permalink)
    exsquidao And for what it's worth, and I know it's not worth anything, but even though I know people have worked very hard on this new website/format I really think it sucks, sorry but I do.

Hey exsquidao, I thought we were talking about cheesesteaks!  " />

Brother, you don't mince words, do you?  Would you offer some feedback on the new site?  I know I've worked very hard on getting articles posted with crystal-clear photos, etc., and if you have genuine, constructive criticism, then we'd certainly like to hear it.  Maybe you could post your suggestions here instead of this food topic...  Chris

carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/01/30 23:21:24 (permalink)
    A few years ago, I got to have a cheesesteak at Pat's and I loved it! One of the best sandwiches I've ever had that wasn't an italian beef ( what can I say? I'm a Chicagoan. ) I especially enjoyed the short "visit" I got from a hungry pigeon who actually had the nerve to land on my outdoor table and stand there staring at me - I think he felt "entitled" to be fed. He left my table real quick with an empty belly, though..... 
    MadLaw
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/02/12 19:32:53 (permalink)
    I had an "authentic" Philly Cheesesteak for the first time last week at Pat's. It was absolute garbage. I hope that all cheesesteaks in Philly aren't like that, if so everyone in that city is insane. Bland, greasy, not really cheesy at all, onions had no flavor(provy wit). Very disappointing from all the things I heard about cheesesteaks in Philly and at Pat's. I will never buy a cheesesteak in Philly again.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3723
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/02/12 19:47:32 (permalink)
    You just bought it at the wrong place.  Nothing more that I can add to that except to say that you will never buy another cheesesteak in Philadelphia is one of the funniest  posts that I have ever read.

There are many wonderful cheesesteaks in Phiadelphia.  I am sorry that you did not take the time to reearch.
    MadLaw
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/02/12 19:55:18 (permalink)
    Why is it funny that I won't buy another cheesesteak in that city? I don't really care for the city and also now don't like their one popular culinary item. Don't worry I won't be back. Thanks.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6253
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/02/12 21:05:43 (permalink)
    Blazing generalities!!!! Base an opinion on one experience...Philly is a great city, and cheese steaks are a favorite of mine,hell millions!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6353
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/02/12 21:09:50 (permalink)
    MadLaw

Why is it funny that I won't buy another cheesesteak in that city? I don't really care for the city and also now don't like their one popular culinary item. Don't worry I won't be back. Thanks.

What is funny or should we say odd is your very first post on Roadfood.com denigrates a quintessential roadfood item and trashes a city. It makes one wonder why you came on because if you can't like a cheesesteak sandwich it is doubtful {probably by the vast majority online here) that you could like roadfood in general. That is an inauspicious start on a roadfood forum and makes one question your true motivation to be here. Normally one would say welcome to a first time poster but that will have to be belayed (by me at least).
    squwigr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/02/12 21:38:50 (permalink)
    This isn't a cheesesteak, but it's still the same gooey goodness--the horseshoe from Springfield, IL
    http://tinyurl.com/aep3ze
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/02/12 22:10:51 (permalink)
    MadLaw

I get the feeling no one is worried.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/02/12 23:03:06 (permalink)
    LOL, Mr. Bad!!!!
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/02/12 23:25:46 (permalink)
    Talk about different strokes for different folks! The cheesesteak I had at Pat's a few years ago was great; I loved every bite. If I hadn't been traveling on a tight budget, I would have gotten a couple more of them! Ya can't please everybody, huh?  
    PAUL4FOOD
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/05/01 13:34:25 (permalink)
    Outsiders,tourists, & Drunk bar-hoppers go to Pat's & Geno's,because they don't know any better. My friend from NY came down & said "hey let's go to Pat's" I said "as long as your with me I can't do that to ya" I was just there while ago & it was a disgrace. Real Philly & South Jersey peeps go Pagano's,Tony Luke's,Delasanndro's,Jim's,Lee's,John's Roast Pork,Mama's mainline,& tons of Jersey & Delaware locations. I always cringe when I hear of people going to Pats & geno's for a steak. Pat's & Geno's used to be I'd say 20 yrs. ago before REAL Chessesteaks places opened up to the LOCAL people who know how to judge a (Samich) I know I missed alot of good names from the list.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/05/01 15:04:46 (permalink)
    I'm going to agree with the columnist.  I get to Philly 3-4 times a year.  Back in the 80's and most of the 90's, it was a must to have a cheesesteak (usually Pat's---sometimes Jim's), but now for me the essential eating is the Tony Luke's Roast Pork Italian.
    badbyron722
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/05/26 20:28:56 (permalink)
    Went to South Philly last year to cross the cheesesteak off my lifes list.Went to Pats & Genos,both were good ,but my wife and I liked Pats a little better.South Philly was pretty cool.I was like a fish out of water.Loved every minute of it.
    eagle6894
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/06/29 10:34:38 (permalink)
    My favorite in Philly is Steve's the Prince of cheesesteaks.....also  good place on South St. (maybe Jim's) Also a great place in Benesalem but The name is slipping me right now.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7768
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/06/29 10:41:04 (permalink)
    I don't think it takes much to be better than a Pat's Philly Steak. The place is teeming with tourists. Both times I went I was extremely dissapointed- twice was enough to make an asessment.
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/06/29 10:57:29 (permalink)
    wanderingjew's point of view about Pat's, while perfectly valid, is one we disagree with.  We love the cheesesteak at Pat's (and the similar one from Geno's).  But, for that style of cheesesteak (big flaps of chewy, flavorful beef), the one from Steve's can't be beat, in our opinion.   And if you don't like to see tourists (personally, we don't care either way), rest assured that there are absolutely zero tourists at Steve's.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/06/29 11:01:09 (permalink)
    Bruce Bilmes and Sue Boyle

wanderingjew's point of view about Pat's, while perfectly valid, is one we disagree with.  We love the cheesesteak at Pat's (and the similar one from Geno's).  But, for that style of cheesesteak (big flaps of chewy, flavorful beef), the one from Steve's can't be beat, in our opinion.   And if you don't like to see tourists (personally, we don't care either way), rest assured that there are absolutely zero tourists at Steve's.

I agree wholeheartedly about Steve's. I went to Steve's back in 2003, my only regret is I didn't order the double meat...

Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/06/29 11:11:09 (permalink)
    I've tried the double meat.  It's good, but for me it throws off the balance.  Steve's meat is, quite frankly, chewy.  It works perfectly in the regular sandwich but the effect isn't the same when there's so much meat.
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/06/29 11:22:58 (permalink)
    I used to live in Philly and I was one and done with Pat's.  I'm with wanderingjew - there are a lot of better cheese steaks to be had in Philadelphia.  My personal favorite is Mama's.
    scovig
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/06/29 12:32:45 (permalink)
    I've tried a few Cheesesteaks in Philly and Pat's is by far my least favorite. The two times I was there the place was filthy. Not an environment conducive to eating. Tony Luke's is my favorite steak and the Roast Pork with sharp provolone is delicious. I love their bread more than any other of the 4 or 5 places I've tried.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/06/29 14:54:33 (permalink)
    In my opinion, one of the most definitive comparisons of Philadelphia cheesesteak sandwiches was done by our own wanderingjew in this thread:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Cheesesteak-themed-weekend-in-Philly-2008-m389918.aspx
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/06/29 15:00:29 (permalink)
    I think Mama's makes a great sandwich, and there are times when it's just what I want to eat.  But, to me, it's not a cheesesteak.  Those overflowing sandwiches piled with tender, hacked-up beef and real cheese are good eating but they are, to my idea of a "real" cheesesteak, as most modern, giant-sized bagels are to the hard-to-find small, very chewy originals: a crowd-pleasing compromise.

Sounds like fighting words, but not really.  I don't begrudge anyone their particular tastes in cheesesteaks, or bagels either for that matter.  Just trying to explain what I like about Pat's/Geno's/Steve's.  Do I even know for certain that what's served at Pat's/Geno's/Steve's is similar to the original?  No, I don't.  But it seems more like Depression-era food.  What's served at Mama's and most other places seems like a modern, times-of-plenty take on a hard-times original.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/06/29 15:19:05 (permalink)
    Bruce Bilmes and Sue Boyle

I think Mama's makes a great sandwich, and there are times when it's just what I want to eat.  But, to me, it's not a cheesesteak.  Those overflowing sandwiches piled with tender, hacked-up beef and real cheese are good eating but they are, to my idea of a "real" cheesesteak, as most modern, giant-sized bagels are to the hard-to-find small, very chewy originals: a crowd-pleasing compromise.

Sounds like fighting words, but not really.  I don't begrudge anyone their particular tastes in cheesesteaks, or bagels either for that matter.  Just trying to explain what I like about Pat's/Geno's/Steve's.  Do I even know for certain that what's served at Pat's/Geno's/Steve's is similar to the original?  No, I don't.  But it seems more like Depression-era food.  What's served at Mama's and most other places seems like a modern, times-of-plenty take on a hard-times original.

Bruce,

The first time I ordered a Pats, it was cold, the meat was cold-not even room temperature, but cold, and tasteless. I believe I ordered it with whiz and fried onions, yet there was  no cheese on the roll at all and maybe a smattering of onions.  It was just very disappointing. That was back in 2000. The second time I returned was in 2005. It was during the reading terminal market tour let by Cheesewit.  I actually shared a cheesesteak with roadfooders Alesrus and Aleswench. There was hardly anything inside the sandwich- it was all bread...it was extremely disproportionate. Both times were just simply disappointing.
    Re:Better than a Pat's Philly Cheesesteak? 2009/06/29 15:28:19 (permalink)
    That doesn't sound good at all. 

My recent visits (maybe once a year, admittedly) I've had no complaints at all.  Liked everything about it.  Same with Geno's (plus Geno's has that ultra-law-and-order xenophobic vibe that makes it so wacky and interesting).
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1