Bier (German Beer...)

Author
Michael_Germany
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 505
2009/07/25 14:37:23 (permalink)

Bier (German Beer...)

Hello Roadfooders!

Do you like german beer, which is your favorite brand...?

I prefer the bavarian brand Erdinger, a typical bavarian Weissbier/Weizenbier (wheat beer).

Link: http://www.erdinger.de/

You can find Erdinger all over Germany, their wheat beer is very popular, soft, but full of taste, 5,3% alcohol.

What is your favorite german beer...?

Kind regards

Michael

16 Replies Related Threads

JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2564
    Re:Bier (German Beer...) 2009/07/25 16:22:09 (permalink)
    Michael,

Despite a bad experience with it in Munich, my favorite is Hofbrau Maibock. It has rich flavor and a wonderful body.  My limit for this Maibock is something less than 3 liters based on my previous testing.

Jim
    Michael_Germany
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Bier (German Beer...) 2009/07/25 17:13:20 (permalink)
    "Despite a bad experience with it in Munich"

Good evening, Jim!

HeHeHe..., you are not alone with this, probably you have visited the famous Oktoberfest in Munich. "Maibock" and other strong beer brands from Germany are somewhat hard to "manage" for foreign visitors...

I do not like these strong beer brands like a Maibock http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bock
    I prefer a mild and tasty "Weizen", or an so called "Export".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_Germany

I have tasted canadian, american, russian, and other beer brands from all over the world, still our german beer is the best, depending on the brand. Which german brewed beers are available over in the USA?

SKOL!

Michael
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2293
    Re:Bier (German Beer...) 2009/07/25 18:38:16 (permalink)
    Of the Bavarian beers, I can find Paulener, Hacker-Pschorr, Spaten, Erdinger, and occasionally Augustiner.
      The only German beers I'd like to have, but either can't find, or are stale when I do find them, are the rauschbiers from Bamburg and Berliner weissbiers.
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:Bier (German Beer...) 2009/07/25 18:51:36 (permalink)
    On a visit to Munich several yrs ago, QFan found that the Augustiner on draft was tastier than the other, more well-known (in the U.S.), Munich beers.  Overall I find that the maltier, south German beers preferable to the hoppier northern German beers. 
    BTW welcome to RF Michael!  You will find this to be a terrific site w/ some great posters.

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    Michael_Germany
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Bier (German Beer...) 2009/07/25 20:50:20 (permalink)
    QFan, a well fresh german beer, tapped fresh from the barrel, this is a piece of art.

You may have it in bottles, brew your own, like many folks do here, send it all over the world, mix it up with some nonsense, whatever, hm...

The most "serious" Strong Beer is Andechs, http://www.andechs.de/brauerei/

I have never tasted this beer, to heavy, to strong, to much alcohol, please, not for me...

Thank You!

Michael

badbyron722
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re:Bier (German Beer...) 2009/07/25 21:44:40 (permalink)
    Drank some at a German restaurant one night and got really buzzed. Was dark and thick.Cant remember name.An aquired taste for Americans use to Lagers.Like Jack Daniels mostly.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2973
    Re:Bier (German Beer...) 2009/07/26 12:19:55 (permalink)
    The problem with drinking most German beers imported to the US is that we can never be sure they were handled properly in transport; one purchase can display all the complexity and beauty and flavor that are characteristic of German beer, and the next can be so completely off that you could cry.

Over the last 15 years there has been an explosion of local American craft brewers. The beers produced can, in my estimation, stand next to those produced anywhere in the world.

HOWEVER... discerning American taste in malt beverages tends to favor the English styles; the high hopped ales, the "bitters", the stouts and the porters and the red ales. We need more pislners, more lagers, more bocks and Maibocks and eisbocks.

My favorite German beer is Kulmbacher, btw. The Monchshof Bock.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Bier (German Beer...) 2009/07/26 13:31:58 (permalink)
    With such brands as Abita Springs Amber and other craft brews making it to the NYC market, I have given up on imported German beers. Like Mosca,  I have bought my share of bad batches. I have never had an imported German beer taste as good as some of the local brands I sampled in Germany. It may be because beer brewed for export is  different formula (for longer shelf life, etc.) Likewise, I have never seen an importer guarantee his product is exactly the same beer as sold in Germany. Some may be.

This article discusses the imports of German beers to the US. However, I have not seen any evidence of the consultant's plan to insure his beers are kept under temperature control. Heck, the same groceries can't even keep cold packages of bagged salads.
    http://beer.about.com/od/brewingbycountry/a/HorstDornbuschI.htm
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1839
    Re:Bier (German Beer...) 2009/07/27 15:01:30 (permalink)
    Up in my neck of the woods, there's rather limitied distribution of imported German beers, or any other for that matter.  Only the biggest producers make it.  Bitburger, Warsteiner, Beck's, Paulener.

Small American craft brewers however do a good job producing German beer styles.  I gravitate to Marzen, Maibock, Schwartzbier, and won't turn down a Dopplebock.

One German beer I've really tried to like, but have never been able to is a Rauchbier. (Made with smoked malt)  I'ver tried varius brands, never found one I care for.
    Michael_Germany
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Bier (German Beer...) 2009/07/27 19:27:01 (permalink)
    WarToad!

I always loved to taste a "local" brewed beer in one of the very many small breweries here in Germany, there are thousands of them over here, and it would take several lifetimes, just even to taste a small sip of all of them.

On the other hand, there are millions of people here in Germany, suffering from a serious drinking problem, and in the most cases, "a beer" was the first access to a serious drinking problem.

Beer is fun, and beer is addiction, alcohol, and I know, what I am talking about.

Michael

Bella Caffe
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:Bier (German Beer...) 2009/08/09 10:05:49 (permalink)
    I've always like Paulaner for a good german brewer. Their Hefeweizen is the older Hefeweizen around & their Salvatore (Double Bock) is a good choice. If you ever find anything that says Rauchbier give it a shot. It takes some getting used to & its unique. Its a German style Smoke beer. And does it taste like smoke! If you've ever had a good smoked scotch you've had the same taste. I used a rauchbier once to make a BBQ sauce, made an awesome sauce. I personally tend to gravitate towards the Belgian beers over the germans. For one, the Germans have a tendency to use more lager yeasts instead of ales & I've always prefered an ale over a lager. Im not to fond of the pilsner style of beer either. I guess I just prefer a little more body in my beer. Although I do like a good Bock or Double Bock. The first homebrew beer I brewed was an American style Bock beer. Turned out great.
    Michael_Germany
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Bier (German Beer...) 2009/08/09 20:30:23 (permalink)
    Moin from Germany, Bella!

Schwarzbier,  Black Beer, is regional common over here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzbier.

Link: http://www.koestritzer.de/

Michael

David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Bier (German Beer...) 2009/08/09 23:21:47 (permalink)
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1459
    Re:Bier (German Beer...) 2009/08/10 02:35:44 (permalink)
      I lived in West Germany in the 1970's when my Dad was stationed in Worms. I was very young , only 11 years old at the time but remember a couple of brands that I liked. Eichbaum was a pilsner style beer that had a light hop flavor and light malt flavor that was easy to drink. Especially in the summer months. There is a beer made specially for children called Kinderbier. Very malty in taste but very low in alcohol volume.(.05%) I liked it.
      I rember going to a Bachfisch festival and sneeking a couple of samples of Spaten Bier and got wasted and got sick. Dad of course knew why, but amazingly didn't say anything. Must have thought I had learned my lesson.

David Oberle 
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1620
    Re:Bier (German Beer...) 2009/08/10 07:16:30 (permalink)
    David_NYC

http://www.abita.com/

Their Purple Haze is, shall we say, an "acquired taste".
    Michael_Germany
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Bier (German Beer...) 2009/08/11 18:07:59 (permalink)
    "There is a beer made specially for children called Kinderbier. Very malty in taste but very low in alcohol volume."

Malzbier, in earlier years, Kinderbier...(Childrens Beer)

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malzbier

NOT suitable to alcohol addicted people, relapse preprogrammed...

Michael

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1