The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Big Apple BBQ Block Party 6/13 & 6/14 2009

MiamiDon

Big Apple BBQ Block Party 6/13 & 6/14 2009 Wed, 06/10/09 11:56 AM (permalink)
Here's the link:

http://www.bigapplebbq.org/

Hmmmm... Will billyboy be there?

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
    Re:Big Apple BBQ Block Party 6/13 & 6/14 2009 Wed, 06/10/09 12:47 PM (permalink)
    MD, I will definitely be there on the 14th.  The list of pitmasters looks good and there seems to be a nice cross section of meats and sides offered.  Sad to see they are not doing Brunswick Stew this year.  I loved that stuff!

Freddies Mommy

• Total Posts: 24
      Re:Big Apple BBQ Block Party 6/13 & 6/14 2009 Thu, 06/11/09 2:35 PM (permalink)
      We are thinking about going on Sunday.  Is it crazy crowded?  We have a 2.5 yr old and not sure if its going to be too rough with him.  Also what do you think will happen if it rains?

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
        Re:Big Apple BBQ Block Party 6/13 & 6/14 2009 Thu, 06/11/09 6:28 PM (permalink)
        Freddies Mommy

Also what do you think will happen if it rains?

You will get wet.

Their web site says that they expect 100,000 people.  While I am not a parent (nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), I would not subject my 2 1/2 year old to this event - nor would I subject the other 99,999 people to my 2 1/2 year old's stroller banging into the backs of their ankles in tight quarters.

billyboy

Re:Big Apple BBQ Block Party 6/13 & 6/14 2009 Fri, 06/12/09 3:37 PM (permalink)
          Freddies Mommy,

I've gone the last 2-3 years and I love it.  But I also don't mind standing in lines, so there you go.  It is supposed to rain somewaht and as far as I know, they keep on goin'.  The pitmasters have awnings to cover themselves and their food, but the oatrons will get wet.  Most of my friends refuse to go because of the lines and the prices. Portions are $8 standard.  I thinks it's worth it beacuse: 1.) It's a fundraiser and 2.) I get to eat 'cue from places I'm not able to travel to.  I really do think that this would NOT be an appropriate event to bring a 2 1/2 year old to.  LOTS of waiting around and heavy crowds.  There is a smaller BBQ event later in the summer at Hudson River Park called the Blues and BBQ Festival (I believe that is the name).  All NYC based BBQ places and much smaller turnout. 

Freddies Mommy

Re:Big Apple BBQ Block Party 6/13 & 6/14 2009 Sat, 06/13/09 6:27 AM (permalink)
            Bummer.  MSP has such and awesome playground.  And introducing my child to great things is sort of important to me.  It does look like it is really going to rain pretty hard.  Is this on the Oval Lawn?  Maybe Hubby and I can take turns at the playground watching our son.  I think $8 is a really great price have you seen the prices at the Shake shack?

I wanted to go because of the pitmasters from all around....  SO the other one is probably not going to be something I would go to.

billyboy

Re:Big Apple BBQ Block Party 6/13 & 6/14 2009 Sat, 06/13/09 8:03 AM (permalink)
              When you say Oval Lawn, are you thinking of the Great Lawn in Central Park?  For this event, the pitmasters set up on the streets around the perimeter of the park.  There are drink tents, a gift shop tent (t-shirts, sauces, etc...) and a bandstand IN the park.  It pretty much takes over the whole park for two days.  The weather is looking good right now.

Freddies Mommy

Re:Big Apple BBQ Block Party 6/13 & 6/14 2009 Tue, 06/16/09 9:19 PM (permalink)
                The Oval Lawn is the main Lawn in MSP where they have all the childrens concerts.  That is how I refer to it.  We ended up going to Chelsea Market Milk Bar for Lunch.  I had to go there anyhow to grab some stuff from the Italian Market the prices there are fantastic!  But you did have great weather and next year i will go against travling Mans advice because I do not run people down with my stroller :)

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  Re:Big Apple BBQ Block Party 6/13 & 6/14 2009 Tue, 06/16/09 10:06 PM (permalink)
                  Further proof that having a baby in your life trumps everything else:  100,000 people eating world class BBQ five blocks from my home, and I wasn't even aware that it was happening.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com