Big Apple BBQ

Author
motoeric
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 56
2008/06/02 22:54:32 (permalink)

Big Apple BBQ

Hey,

Anyone plan on attending this event? It's this weekend.

www.bigapplebbq.org

Eric

17 Replies Related Threads

Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Big Apple BBQ 2008/06/02 23:45:41 (permalink)
    It's right down the street from me, and I will not be attending, as usual. The insanity of those crowds takes away from any enjoyment I would get from the food. It's a really, really poorly run event. If you're an insider of some kind, it's swell for you! No waiting, just stroll right up. Insiders don't wait on lines. Me, I'll just stay away.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: Big Apple BBQ 2008/06/03 00:27:51 (permalink)
    I'm with Pigiron on this one. Its a yupped up fundraiser for the group that sponsors Madison Square Park, a municipal park owned by New York City. They sell "FastPasses" to gain access to express lanes so you don't have to wait on line with the Bridge-and-Tunnel crowd. Can you say PAYOLA? Did you ever hear of a BBQ event in the Carolinas where you paid payola to eat? This is the same park that houses the Shake Shack.

All the street fairs and block parties in this town have turned into a joke. They close the streets and tie up traffic so professional party organizers can sell socks and ecoli sausage (Don't laugh; a boss of mine almost died from sausage at one of these festivals) to people with nothing better to do on a Saturday or Sunday. They were fun about 1981, but they are past their sell-by date.
    motoeric
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 56
    RE: Big Apple BBQ 2008/06/04 00:00:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input. I thought that the Fast Pass had a $100.00 credit on them for food and such. Is that correct?

So, you do pay to get on the express line; but you get a $100.00 worth of food for the pass?

I guess it's a good deal if your going to eat $100.00 worth of food. Bring friends.

Eric
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Big Apple BBQ 2008/06/04 00:19:29 (permalink)
    AGREED that it's probably too crowded.
    Plus, plates of BBQ sell for $8.00, so they're not exactly giving the stuff away, anyway.
    Better off going to a few of the BBQ joints on your own, and not fighting the crowds.

I stumbled on this "Taste of Times Square" while in NYC on Monday. It was on 46th st, between 8th and 9th ave. Got elbowed a few times , too crowded!

I was there last year for it, (actually scheduled my trip into NYC for it), but did'nt even realize it was going on again this year.
    Boy, time sure flies!

Prices are reasonable enough, but the lines are so long to buy the "ticket" script.

So, it was a bit frustrating, as I fought the crowds to get close to the food, but did'nt have tickets for any of it! (had to be satisfied with "visual satisfaction"!)
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2462
    RE: Big Apple BBQ 2008/06/05 01:50:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by motoeric

Thanks for the input. I thought that the Fast Pass had a $100.00 credit on them for food and such. Is that correct?

So, you do pay to get on the express line; but you get a $100.00 worth of food for the pass?

I guess it's a good deal if your going to eat $100.00 worth of food. Bring friends.

Eric

The Fast Pass does have $100 worth of credit on it that can be used for food, drinks and merchandise only. They offer different BBQ seminars and panels, but the pass cannot be used for that. The merchandise includes books for sale (the Sterns, Steven Raichlen and Jeffrey Steingarten usually have books for sale there), BBQ sauces, t-shirts and other things. You don't pay to get in the express line, you wear the pass (like a backstage pass at a concert) so you can get into the express line. I've never gotten it as I don't plan to spend $100 total there. I may spend $50-$60 at most. Almost everyone I've talked to can't stand it and say it's not worth it. But I've gone for 3 years and had a good time. I have a great deal of patience and don't mind the crowds. I bring a book to read on line and plenty of water to drink as it can get humid and the drinks are expensive for what they are (typical beers and sodas) and I'm there to fill up on BBQ, not drinks. Going to the event is free. There aren't any tickets to get in as it's all outdoors in an open area. It only costs when you buy something.

I'll probably go this Sunday to hit a few places and report back on it. I don't feel that the prices are unreasonable. I'm willing to pay more for a fundraising event and to be honest the price per portion isn't that far off from what you'd get at a NYC restaurant.

Here is a link to my report from last year. I went both days, met some friends there and ate myself silly on BBQ.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20412 (This thread was started by NYNM)

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20610 (Day 2)

Hope you enjoy the links!
    Sir Loin
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Big Apple BBQ 2008/06/05 05:01:53 (permalink)
    I have gone every year, and each year I swear I am not going back. The lines are ridiculously long, and even after purchasing a "Fast Pass", found things did not move too fast! They have been plagued with fast pass card reader problems since they started that program and the express lines were sometimes just as long or as slow as the cash lines. What kept me coming back, was the fact that you could try BBQ from joints in other parts of the country, and I am friendly with some of the local pitmasters, so It was also a social visit. If you really want to go, walk around, see whats going on, then walk a few blocks and have some good BBQ at any of the nearby spots: Hill Country, Wild Wood, or R.U.B.. then go back to the park and stand in line at Shake Shack for dessert. Even that line will be quicker than any barbeque line!
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Big Apple BBQ 2008/06/05 08:31:47 (permalink)
    I'm supposed to be in a Joe York documentary film about barbecued mutton that's going to be featured in a theater somewhere near this event. Well, I sat for the interview, so I guess I'm in it.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Big Apple BBQ 2008/06/05 09:31:53 (permalink)
    Wouldn't it be simpler to spend 4 weekends a year in KC, Memphis, Texas and the Carolinas?
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Big Apple BBQ 2008/06/05 10:24:17 (permalink)
    The weather predictions for this weekend Temps are going to be in the 90s.
    Not sure I'd stand in any line in that heat.
    It may very well keep the croud down. Chow Jim
    billyboy
    RE: Big Apple BBQ 2008/06/06 09:02:36 (permalink)
    Probably simpler in terms of lines, but when one factors in airfare, hotel, rental car and gas for said car, the price for that tasty 'cue adds up mighty quickly. Ideally, I'd like no lines at all, but this is NYC and if that's the price I have to pay to try some barbeque from other parts of the country, then so be it!
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

The weather predictions for this weekend Temps are going to be in the 90s.
    Not sure I'd stand in any line in that heat.
    It may very well keep the croud down. Chow Jim
    vegas
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Big Apple BBQ 2008/06/06 09:55:25 (permalink)

dont miss this!
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Big Apple BBQ 2008/06/06 14:42:33 (permalink)
    I hear you, Billyboy..
    That's one thing I love about taking the bus up to NYC (from AC)
    It's a simple $31.00 round trip, with no airline tickets, rental cars, etc. Just get off the bus and chow down!!!!

ellen

Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Big Apple BBQ 2008/06/07 23:17:15 (permalink)
    It was 95 degrees with high humidity and blazing sun today in Manhattan. I was outside only for the 10 minutes it took to walk to the movie theater and back. It was BRUTALLY hot. Did anyone here brave the weather, the crowds, the smoke and the high prices to attend the BBQ festival?
    billyboy
    RE: Big Apple BBQ 2008/06/07 23:46:42 (permalink)
    Yes sir, I did! I have have a warm glow on the back of my neck and forearms for the effort. It truly was scorching and people were just about melting in line! I only hit two places today (Mr. Cecil's California Ribs from L.A. and the Proclamation Stew Crew from Lawrenceville, VA) as I had to work this afternoon, but I loved everything I had and have lots of pics and lots to say. I'm going back tomorrow for more, so I'll wait until then for the report, but I will say I had a fairly unique beef rib, half a cajun hot link, some tomato-cucumber salad and some Brunswick Stew! Tune in tomorrow...!
    the acting man
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Big Apple BBQ 2008/06/09 10:20:40 (permalink)
    I'm waffling on this one. It was not a good idea to book this event on a day shared with the Puerto Rican Pride Parade. Sunday was just a mess in general because of that. I also have to question what the aim of the event is when it's held in Madison Square Park, in the yuppie wonderland of Grammercy and Chelsea. Is BBQ too cool even for me? Yeah, I know Hill Country sits a few blocks from MSP, but it's a safe distance from the thoroughfare that sits east of Broadway.

I was curious to see what Hill Country would bring to the event. I should have guessed it wasn't going to be their $20/lb moist brisket, given that you'd get about a quarter of a pound at best ($5) and a small side (which run at about $4 a pop there), because the dishes were $8. What they did sort of set the tone for how the thing sort of runs itself, in my opinion. You think you're getting a bargain for $8, a sampling from their highly touted menu. If you knew what they charged at the store for the sampling portion you paid for, you wouldn't eat it up so greedily and think it so awesome. I watched on and sampled elsewhere. There was some truth to the "line theory." The first place I sampled, Wilson's Barbeque, had one of the smallest lines, and the driest and bland brisket. Conversely, Proclamation Stew Crew's Brunswick Stew was a treat and hardly had a line when I visited. Then again, at that price, it would be like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I apologize for raining on parades, but I think I'm getting over this event. Not that it doesn't have potential, but it's a mess, and a rip off. Not a knock on the truly good BBQ places up here in NYC, or those vendors that earnestly doled out sizable portions, but it's a cash cow in this town.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Big Apple BBQ 2008/06/15 13:48:14 (permalink)
    I did not go this year, in fact, I forgot about it. Any I live only a few blocks away.

Like many, I have been turned off. Too much of a scene, too many frat boys turned yuppies with fierce baby strollers to push you over. You can get BBQ anyday in NYC now.

The music was sometimes goo, tho.
    WarmBeer
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Big Apple BBQ 2011/06/07 12:44:13 (permalink)
    It's that time of year again.  I have been to this event 2X before.  Once at the end of the day (not sure if it was '09 or '08) and again last year.  Agree with most of the comments above as far as negatives.  I see the positives as:
    1.  Lots of BBQ from all over the country in one place.
    2.  Free music
    3. Party atmosphere
    The negatives can be moderated with the right strategy:
    Price: It's Manhattan & it's a fund raiser - it ain't no bargain
    Lines: Ridiculous - last year my strategy was to go early Sunday morning, hit as many places as I could starting with the favorites and collect samples to take home.  I think I got to 12 places out of 18 in a couple hrs and nibbled a tasting of each on the way home. Then had BBQ leftovers for another week.  An alternate strategy is to go at the end of the day and look for folks with the passes who have not nearly completed their card (they punch out the amounts as you use them up).  Offer to buy out the remainder (preferrably at a discount).  I did that the previous year and it worked out OK although about a third of the pits had already closed up by the time we got there.  I'll probably try the first strategy again this year. 

See all the pics with short comments and from which pit here:

For some reasone, maybe cause I'm a newbie?  it will not let me insert the link
    Try this - add the Http ://www yourself to the next lines to get the URL

facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1932667528929.107008.1609519954&l=9dd3a9a2af
    post edited by WarmBeer - 2011/06/07 12:51:00
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1