Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Barbarainnc
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 95
2007/01/09 18:32:43 (permalink)

Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC

Just found this out!! Can't wait to go, I'm about 1 1/2 hrs from the restaurant. Anyone out there been yet. I want to try the white sauce on some chicken.

35 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15278
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/01/09 18:44:26 (permalink)
    Barbara,
    Big Bob Gibson's in Alabama puts out some pretty good BBQ, but I hope you find the White BBQ to your liking. We don't care much for it, but we don't care much for Mustard-based sauces either. Please report back about how the new Gibson's store is doing.
    Raine
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/01/09 19:14:11 (permalink)
    I don't believe they have opened yet. Think it is still under contruction.

Time will tell if the folks around here cotton to the white sauce.
    It will be interesting to try it.

We have competed against Big Bob on many occasions, but we have never tried any of his sauces.

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/01/10 10:12:22 (permalink)
    they have some decent sauces, I am not a fan of the white sauce though, unless it is to dip the hush puppies in.

I wonder if they will shift their sauces to be more of the regional variety or if they will use their original recipe sauces.

I do love their Habanero BBQ sauce.
    SassyGritsAL
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/01/10 10:25:10 (permalink)
    The white sauce is great on Big Bob's chicken. Please give it a try. I am a big fan of white sauce and I love to dip my hushpuppies in it too. White sauce is big here in Huntsville, AL.
    drbbq
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/01/29 12:36:55 (permalink)
    Hi all,
    There is a big misunderstanding about the white BBQ sauce in Alabama. They use it on chicken and turkey and that's it.
    At Big Bob Gibson's they have a Championship Red Sauce that is on the other food and they have it, a habanero sauce and a vinegar sauce on the table in the restaurants in Decatur. The locals never use the white sauce on beef or pork but I guess a customer could if he wanted to.
    Also, Big Bob has been deceased for many years. The restaurant is run by his grandson, Don McLemore with help from his wife Carolyn and his son in law Chris Lilly.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7836
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/01/29 13:16:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by drbbq

Hi all,
    There is a big misunderstanding about the white BBQ sauce in Alabama. They use it on chicken and turkey and that's it.
    At Big Bob Gibson's they have a Championship Red Sauce that is on the other food and they have it, a habanero sauce and a vinegar sauce on the table in the restaurants in Decatur. The locals never use the white sauce on beef or pork but I guess a customer could if he wanted to.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. When I was at Big Bob Gibson's on my 20005 baseball trip, the waitress, a local gal says she even puts the white sauce on the Pork. I wasn't sure if she's the only one who does that or if she was referring to everyone else as well.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/01/29 13:42:28 (permalink)
    WJ,

I agree with DrBBQ on this one. I have talked with Chris Lilly many times before and poultry is what the white sauce is for. In fact, near the end of the cooking process, the chicken is dipped in the white sauce and placed back on the pit.

I'm not doubting what the waitress may have told you but this is what it is meant for. BTW, their habenero red sauce is my go-to hot sauce at home. It is excellent!

John
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7836
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/01/29 14:10:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RibDog

WJ,

I agree with DrBBQ on this one. I have talked with Chris Lilly many times before and poultry is what the white sauce is for. In fact, near the end of the cooking process, the chicken is dipped in the white sauce and placed back on the pit.

I'm not doubting what the waitress may have told you but this is what it is meant for. BTW, their habenero red sauce is my go-to hot sauce at home. It is excellent!

John

I kind of figured it was. I ordered the chicken and put the white sauce on that- it was good, but I can't imagine that on Pork.
    drbbq
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/01/29 14:10:48 (permalink)
    It's entirely possible that the waitress does that, but it's definitely not the norm. If you can get yourself into the pit room you'll see a big pot of sauce and a man with a big fork. He takes the cooked chickens off the pit and immediately dips them in the white sauce. Then they go to the kitchen. That's the main function of the white sauce. I don't care much for the sauce on it's own but those chickens are great.

As you all probably know BBG has had great success at the Memphis in May World BBQ Championship but they definitely don't use any white sauce on their legendary pork shoulders there. Well a couple years ago some other team included a cup of white sauce in their shoulder presentation. The general consensus was that they were thinking they'd fool a few misguided judges into thinking their entry belonged to Big Bob's.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/01/29 16:12:55 (permalink)
    Last time through Decatur, I went through the drive thru and got several pounds of pork to go and a couple of the qts of championship red and 1 of habanero. I took a corner to fast and one of the qts of championship red spilled all over the floor board of the car.

You would think hertz would stop renting me cars to take to florida, they either come back fishy or covered in sauce.
    Barbarainnc
    Hamburger
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/02/12 19:40:39 (permalink)
    We drove to Monroe (1 1/2 hr) this past Sat. Feb. 10th for an early Valentine meal, guess what it isn't open yet. My hubby said we drove all this way and it's not open. So we ate at Captain D's Seafood!!!! I'll keep checking on the net to see when it is open. I'll report to all when I try it out!!! :) :) :) I was all set on some pork and chicken!!!
    jamgood
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/03/17 03:44:30 (permalink)
    According to the Monroe Enquirer-Journal, Big Bob Gibson's first franchise will open in Monroe on March 26th. Why Monroe? Dunno. Charles Graham of Charlotte based Bib Bob Gibson's Bar-B-Q LLC plans to open BBG's in the Charlotte area, Nashville & Birmingham. North Carolina locations will have expanded menus including regional favorites (?), steak, seafood and burgers. The BBG in Monroe is located at the former Shoney's location on Roosevelt Blvd. (US Hwy. 74) near Skyway Drive (US 601 NORTH). If you know Monroe, it's about a mile east of the Mall and Wal-Mart area, across the highway from Cook Out.
    jamgood
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/03/17 04:04:20 (permalink)
    Fergot. Monroe, NC is 25 miles SE of Charlotte, NC on US Hwy. 74 or about 35 miles south of Concord, NC on US Hwy. 601.
    Barbarainnc
    Hamburger
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/03/17 21:02:09 (permalink)
    Yeah I checked their site last night to see when they would open, March 26th. Thanks for posting to let me know!!! Can't wait to try the White sauce on the chicken.
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/03/18 18:57:00 (permalink)
    I'm sure you can get the white sauce on anything you want if you order it.
    While Mr. Lilly is indeed a champion pitmaster, it takes a lot of guts
    to go in to NC with bbq from another state.

I'll bet that within 2 years, EB's BBQ, just a few miles away will still
    be going strong, and the Lilly joint will be closed. Too much overhead.
    Carolina folks like small, old fashioned joints, not Walmart sized chain
    restaurants.

No digs on Chris at all, he makes great q, obviously. It just ain't gonna
    happen in Monroe NC.
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/03/18 18:58:55 (permalink)
    http://charlotte.com/263/story/43808.html
    after the story ran, they got swamped and ran out of food!!

"AWARD WINNING BARBECUE

If you are looking for a truly great barbecue place, then check out EB's (pronounced Ebb's) in Indian Trail in the Food Lion shopping center, across from Bruster's.

I'm a Texas girl originally and though I have tried Carolina barbecue at a few fundraisers and other restaurants, I have been mostly avoiding it for several reasons. First, in Texas, if it's not beef, it's not barbecue. Second, most Texans believe that if you need to add sauce, you've done something wrong. Third, so far, it just hasn't done it for me.

Well, special thanks to reader Kimberly Malik, who wrote to tell me how good the barbecue at EB's was. Based on her glowing recommendation, I thought, why not give it a try?

EB's has perfected its recipes after 10 years on the competition barbecue circuit. They have won awards for almost everything they serve and have several state and grand championships under their belt. You can see why their restaurant, which opened about a year and half ago, is filled with trophies. The barbecue was good enough to change my way of thinking towards the Carolina style. Just don't let my relatives back in Texas know I said that.

MONUMENTAL SANDWICH

EB's serves barbecue pork, chicken and beef (when available) in sandwiches and plates as well as barbecue potatoes, which are baked potatoes with barbecue on top. They also do a buffet that includes barbecue pork and chicken and all their delicious sides.

If you order the barbecue pork sandwich, prepare yourself: It's an architectural construct of meaty goodness. By that, I mean it's about 8 inches tall and covered in coleslaw.

SECRET SAUCES AND INTRIGUING DESSERTS

Since embarking on my Carolina barbecue education, I have discovered that the sauce is important. EB's signature sauce is a bold, sharp sauce that is not too spicy.

The sweet sauce is more tang that sweet and has just enough of a spicy kick to keep things interesting.

The barbecue is the centerpiece at this place, but the sides are equally delicious and include some great beans, ranch slaw, potato salad and even some veggies.

I haven't even gotten to the desserts yet. When Kimberly wrote to tell me about EB's, she mentioned an intriguing concoction called peaches and grits.

I tried a slice of the peaches and grits pie, which placed second in the grits category at a competition in Georgia, and I loved it. The Dreamcicle pie is great, too, and tastes just like the ice cream.

EB's sells its barbecue and sides in bulk and caters. So the next time you have to organize an office lunch, skip the tired sandwich tray and give EB's a call.

MORE INFORMATION

EB's is open 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday and 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursday-Saturday. Starting in April, they will serve baby back ribs on the first and third Saturday of the month.

To see all of their awards and get directions to the restaurant, which can be tricky to spot, visit www.ebsbbq.com. For more information, call 704-821-6958.

IN MY OPINION

Drop Me A Line

If you know of a place in Union County that I should check out, let me know.

E-mail: erobards @charlotteobserver.com

Please include your name, daytime telephone number and why you think it's a great place. I can be reached by telephone at 704-289-6576. Esther Robards- Forbes"
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/03/22 14:29:11 (permalink)
    Although I have never eaten BBG's BBQ I do love their red sauce and their dry rub, happened to find it on closeout at one of our supermarkets a few years ago and have been ordering it over the net ever since.

Charlie
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/03/22 14:41:40 (permalink)
    Captain Morgan,

I'm surprised as I thought the people from NC would be welcoming to a new business than you are portraying. Somehow, I have a feeling Raine at EB's would be more welcoming than you are being at this point. And besides, can't people from a particular locale enjoy more than one type of que?

John
    JHOWIE
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/03/31 17:05:56 (permalink)
    " /> Well,My wife and I just went to the new BBG BBQ in Monroe NC and am sorry to say I will never go back.Reason is,the tea was almost water,just about that clear,onion rings looked and tasted like something bought from wal-mart. Ribs and chicken is what we ordered,absolutely was not impressed at all.Nasty bathroom,but it was a brand new building. And went away not even full..The bill was $45.65 without the tip. We wanted bbq,have been wanting good chicken and ribs for a while now,used to go to the hickory house in Charlotte,they were fantastic. Ok,yesterday went to the Sagebrush and had hot wings,good tea,salad,loaded baked potato,and the 14 ounce rib eye steak,That bill was $51.83 without the tip AND took home leftovers and was full. The manager attempted to make good on it,by offering us some to go tea he said it would be better so I said sure,ha,got back to my pick up truck and threw it out and so did my wife,$1.99 for colored water,please..Anyway,Sagebrush is still my favorite they take care of ya.This guy didn't even take off some of the bill he just made excuses,sorry I'll spend my money at the Sagebrush when I go out to eat,at least the food and service is good.Hey...My 2 cents worth (more like 50 dollars worth...)
    NoreeneMc
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/04/04 13:34:59 (permalink)
    I am sorry that you had a bad experience at that new Big Bob Gibson place. Usually they serve up some of the best and tastiest food.

I am from the Peoria, IL area and I look forward to my trip back "home" (Decatur, AL) just so I can stop and get some of that fantastic BBQ and of corse a Penn's Hamburger.

I love the Mulligan's Stew that the place in Decatur serves. It is chocked full of shredded chicken and loads of veggies.

All this talk of Big Bob Gibson's BBQ has me really longing to get back down south. They just do not know what good BBQ is up here but I must say that there is now a Corky's in East Peoria. I have not been there yet because it is still fairly new and is always busy. I thought I'd give it a try when the newness wears off.
    Barbarainnc
    Hamburger
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/07/14 15:59:55 (permalink)
    Just returned from Big Bob Gibson's in Monroe. We ordered the Little Bob Gibson Combo, 2 meats, 2 sides for $10.99.
    I ordered the pulled pork and quarter of chicken, creamy slaw, grilled corn on the cob. Hubby got pulled pork, quarter of chicken, baked beans and potato salad. The plate also had hushpuppies on it. I didn't have room for dessert.It was worth the 1 1/2 hr drive, part of my 20th wedding anniversary. Doesn't take much to make me happy. Just give me BBQ!!!!!! The food was really good and I'm ready to go back!!!! :) :) :)
    Barbarainnc
    Hamburger
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/12/21 20:17:44 (permalink)
    Went again for part of my Christmas!!!! Food was good, love the grilled corn.I've been happy and full everytime I go there!!! :) :) :) :) Worth the drive for me!!!!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2007/12/21 21:05:00 (permalink)
    Ugh,...Was NOT impressed.
    Here is my review....With photos..
    Still sux IMHO....I wont go back there...

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23192
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2008/01/01 03:32:00 (permalink)
    When we were at Big Bob Gibson's, I used the white sauce on my ribs. Nobody looked at me strange..A great "Q" place. No, not in the same league as Arthur Bryant's IMHO, but damn good. Well worth a visit.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2008/01/01 17:16:52 (permalink)
    Was down that way before xmas, stopped there for dinner, if that's good Q, Taco Bell is good Mexican.
    Jim in NC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2008/01/01 19:05:54 (permalink)
    Just curious about how the meat is cooked. Big brick pit like the original or some kind of "barbecue" cooker? Have real pits been outlawed in Union Co. for the sake of clean air?
    georgiafanhere
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2008/07/20 17:50:04 (permalink)
    We went to eat at big bob bbq in Monroe on Friday. People I tell you to read the reviews on here. I WISH WE HAD. The Tea was like water and its 1.99 and the HOMEMADE onion rings and we even asked the waitress are the onion rings homemade Oh yes. WELL THEY ARE Straignt from your groceries freezer looked like and tasted like it. I got the 1/4 chicken it had and ok taste to it but boy you sure didn't get anything (we left not full at all) my mom got the BBQ sandwich it had a pretty good taste nothing great and it was $7.99 and we went for lunch. At the end the waitress said we you all like some homemade pies and we said are they just like the homemade onion rings? lol No thanks .... We will NEVER go back......[/b]
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2008/07/20 17:59:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by georgiafanhere

We went to eat at big bob bbq in Monroe on Friday. People I tell you to read the reviews on here. I WISH WE HAD. The Tea was like water and its 1.99 and the HOMEMADE onion rings and we even asked the waitress are the onion rings homemade Oh yes. WELL THEY ARE Straignt from your groceries freezer looked like and tasted like it. I got the 1/4 chicken it had and ok taste to it but boy you sure didn't get anything (we left not full at all) my mom got the BBQ sandwich it had a pretty good taste nothing great and it was $7.99 and we went for lunch. At the end the waitress said we you all like some homemade pies and we said are they just like the homemade onion rings? lol No thanks .... We will NEVER go back......[/b]

I would never trust a 1 time drive by review. Good or bad. Why in the world would somebody look up a site only to write one bad review and then never be heard from again?...Russ
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in Monroe, NC 2008/07/23 12:20:36 (permalink)
    Russ, read my review here, if you have not already.
    I was there last October.
    Photos also.
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23192
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1