Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5018
2010/11/03 10:40:26 (permalink)

Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout

A limited release from Leinenkugel.  I paid $11.99 for a 4-pack last weekend and it's pretty good, but beware of the 9.5% ABV rating!  For some reason it's not mentioned on the Leinie website, though.

Brad

7 Replies Related Threads

WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1841
    Re:Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout 2010/11/14 21:07:13 (permalink)
    I'll have to keep my eyes peeled, thanks!
    SpicyCheese
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout 2011/11/20 07:31:39 (permalink)
    About 3 months ago, Woodmans had these 40-ounce plastic bottles of Russian lager for sale for $1.99 a bottle.  My friend and I both picked up a couple varieties because we figured you couldn't go wrong. 

The checkout girl was Russian and we asked her about it.  She said, "I don't think this is so good."  We ignored her.  Big, huge mistake. 

I drank half a small glass and my stomach rebelled like Chechnyans.  Seriously.  It was like liquid broken glass.  My friend didn't fare much better.  Horrid, horrid stuff. 

We figure the person in charge of making it somehow didn't realize he was making beer but thought he was brewing battery acid. 
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    Re:Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout 2011/11/20 10:41:12 (permalink)
    SpicyCheese

About 3 months ago, Woodmans had these 40-ounce plastic bottles of Russian lager for sale for $1.99 a bottle.  My friend and I both picked up a couple varieties because we figured you couldn't go wrong. 

The checkout girl was Russian and we asked her about it.  She said, "I don't think this is so good."  We ignored her.  Big, huge mistake. 

I drank half a small glass and my stomach rebelled like Chechnyans.  Seriously.  It was like liquid broken glass.  My friend didn't fare much better.  Horrid, horrid stuff. 

We figure the person in charge of making it somehow didn't realize he was making beer but thought he was brewing battery acid. 

Imported Russian lagers have nothing to do with Russian Imperial Stouts.  In fact, I can't think of a Russian brewery that exports a Russian Imperial Stout to the US so I wonder if any of them are even produced in that country.

But I would echo your experiences with some of the high ABV Russian lagers.  They are terrible.
    SpicyCheese
    Junior Burger
    Re:Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout 2011/11/22 01:42:52 (permalink)
    Right, these were high ABV, too. 

I get a stomach ache just thinking about it.  Wow.  I had no idea beer could be so bad. 
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2588
    Re:Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout 2011/11/22 12:08:57 (permalink)
    Screamer - I was able to buy some bottles of Czar Brew after a tour of Sprecher Brewing this summer.  Czar Brew is a Brewmaster Limited Release that is aged in Oak Bourbon Barrels.  The alcohol is listed at 11% on the internet, this was the highest potency brew on the tour. I recall that I liked it a lot, along with a Scotch Ale and a Barley Wine.  They had some African-style malt brews (Mbege & Shakparo) that were awful.

Thanks for the reminder.  I'll serve this on Thanksgiving.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2588
    Re:Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout 2011/11/22 12:26:35 (permalink)
    SpicyCheese

40 ounces ... Plastic bottle ... $1.99.
    SpicyCheese - None of those factors told you this might be a disaster?

I've had some Russian lagers at my favorite Serbian place when they are available.  They are really good, strong beers, but are usually limited in supply.  Especially if their Russian patrons have dined there recently.
    SpicyCheese
    Junior Burger
    Re:Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout 2011/11/22 23:42:38 (permalink)
    Well, when you say it like that it makes it sound like a terrible idea. 

It was a risk/reward choice.  We figured the stuff couldn't be so bad we couldn't finish it.  I just didn't realize how bad beer could be. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1