Big Ed's BBQ , Old Bridge, NJ (pulled pork)

Author
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
2008/07/29 00:45:45 (permalink)

Big Ed's BBQ , Old Bridge, NJ (pulled pork)

Hi!
My sister wanted to make sure I tell all my Roadfood buddies about her delicious pulled pork sandwich she had at Big Ed's BBQ.

She said the pork tasted like it was cut right off the ribs.
Very reasonable price.... she still felt like she was eating all the good pork rib meat, but at a fraction of the price.
Usually she does go for the full rack of ribs, but this was a nice change of pace.

Big Ed's BBQ is near Freehold, NJ, central Jersey, along Route 34.
(wish they had beef ribs for ME!)

Thanks for reading!
ellen

P.S.... There were a few more locations they added, like in Waretown, and in Mays Landing (my area) but they closed up.
The Old Bridge location is the original.

17 Replies Related Threads

MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: Big Ed's BBQ , Old Bridge, NJ (pulled pork) 2008/07/29 01:01:26 (permalink)
    Thanks Ellen, sometimes the things we do for our convictions.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Big Ed's BBQ , Old Bridge, NJ (pulled pork) 2008/07/31 23:19:05 (permalink)
    I'm also supposed to mention that sis loves the homemade BBQ sauce at Big Ed's!!
    (I'm trying to get sis to get her own screen name on here, and do her own posting!
    come on , get your feet wet, sis!)

On the bright side, sis is supposed to be joining me on the NJ hot dog tour in Sept...
    fattybomatty
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Big Ed's BBQ , Old Bridge, NJ (pulled pork) 2008/08/01 12:34:31 (permalink)
    wow that place looks really good. I will have to take a trip down there to check it out. How are the ribs ellen? maybe I should go for the ribtoberfest where I'll get a rack attack and a heart attack to go. haha.

Did your sister see that he sells his bbq sauce in supermarkets?
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Big Ed's BBQ , Old Bridge, NJ (pulled pork) 2008/08/02 22:36:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fattybomatty
    How are the ribs ellen?
    Did your sister see that he sells his bbq sauce in supermarkets?

I'm not sure my sis realizes she can get Big Ed's sauce in the supermarket.... thanks for sharing...

I know she's never been to the Dinosaur BBQ (I have, in Syracuse)
    but yet I see she always seems to have their sauce in her fridge.
    It's cool that these items are appearing on supermarket shelves more.

My sis really likes the baby backs at Big Ed's.
    (even though I read that they are just parboiled)
    I just go for BEEF RIBS , and unfortunately they do NOT have beef ribs there, so I've tried both the chicken and sliced beef there.
    Sad to say, they were just not my type.. not bad or anything, but just not my style... I like more of a crispy BBQ chicken. (looks like I'll have to try a burger next time)

There is definitely a mixed consensus out there on Big Ed's..
    If you go, hit the original on Route 34 in Old Bridge...
    the place does a real decent business, so it does have a following...
    can't wait to hear what you think, fattybomatty!!
    jesskidden
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 152
    RE: Big Ed's BBQ , Old Bridge, NJ (pulled pork) 2008/08/05 06:58:55 (permalink)
    I don't know that Big Ed's ribs are par-boiled, but they sure are not, in anyway, "barbecued". No wood fire or smoke, no smoke ring on the meat, etc. Just a look at their website http://www.bigedsbbq.com/photogallery.htm is suspicious- what true BBQ joint wouldn't have a photo of their smoker? Or talk about their wood, their technique, their "pit master", etc?

On another food site I mentioned the lack of smoke and a poster replied he "could smell the ribs in the parking lot" and I noted that, "Yeah, the burning tomato-based sauce is noticeable due to the huge exhaust fan [seen in the photos] over the grill they use to "char" the ribs." I've always assumed the did their ribs ahead of time in the oven and then grilled them to give them some crust before serving- as is typical in chain restaurants and "rib joints" (as opposed to true BBQ).

The last time I was dragged to a Big Ed's (a work lunch, at the now closed Dayton, NJ outlet) the ribs just tasted old (it was Monday and I felt I was eating re-heated Saturday night leftovers). the corn was tasteless, overcooked and waterlogged and the coleslaw had that strong chemical bitterness that's a standard flavor of that stuff shoveled out of 5 gallon PVC buckets. The beans were always of that "floating in sweet liquid" canned variety, as well.

I think "Big Ed's" (sorry I can't called it "Big Ed's BBQ") popularity came from the frequent "all you can eat" specials and newspaper coupon discounts it once seemed to specialize in. As for "mixed consensus" - a Google will show that I've added to the "negatives" for this chain (well, seems to have been reduced to the original restaurant now) over the years on the 'net. I don't recall a "Freehold" location at all, not that I've ever really looked.

russ2304
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 261
    RE: Big Ed's BBQ , Old Bridge, NJ (pulled pork) 2008/08/05 11:28:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jesskidden

I don't know that Big Ed's ribs are par-boiled, but they sure are not, in anyway, "barbecued". No wood fire or smoke, no smoke ring on the meat, etc. Just a look at their website http://www.bigedsbbq.com/photogallery.htm is suspicious- what true BBQ joint wouldn't have a photo of their smoker? Or talk about their wood, their technique, their "pit master", etc?

On another food site I mentioned the lack of smoke and a poster replied he "could smell the ribs in the parking lot" and I noted that, "Yeah, the burning tomato-based sauce is noticeable due to the huge exhaust fan [seen in the photos] over the grill they use to "char" the ribs." I've always assumed the did their ribs ahead of time in the oven and then grilled them to give them some crust before serving- as is typical in chain restaurants and "rib joints" (as opposed to true BBQ).

This post seems to confirm most opinions both on RF and from other sources about the non Q status of Big Ed's. On another hopeful note in the quest for true Q down the shore I notice that a joint called The Hickory Hog has opened in Pt. Pleasant I gave them a call and they swear they are the REAL DEAL---smoker and all. Anyone been? Would love to get some comments from trusted palates!

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Big Ed's BBQ , Old Bridge, NJ (pulled pork) 2008/08/06 22:46:50 (permalink)
    I hear you, jesskidden! As that's one thing I hate is being served reheated leftovers!
    I was referring to their original (and only one left?!?) location in Old Bridge...
    I just said "near Freehold", as I thought more Roadfooders could identify with Freehold, hometown of Springsteen.

I feel it's just a matter of time before my sis ends up having a bad experience at Big Ed's.
    Like most of us, she likes a place for awhile, then it goes downhill.
    Plus, she might sometime realize that Big Ed's has fooled her all along, that she's not eating the real thing. So far they keep fooling her, guess she just likes the flavor and tenderness

For instance, she used to like Damon's for awhile; no more, though!!
    I am printing out this thread on Big Ed's to give to her. I'll have to tell her that she has'nt got much support on her love for Big Ed's, but that I did do my part and share with you Roadfooders!
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Big Ed's BBQ , Old Bridge, NJ (pulled pork) 2008/08/07 00:48:33 (permalink)
    Hey, let's not be fussy. This is New Jersey, we're talking here!!
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Big Ed's BBQ , Old Bridge, NJ (pulled pork) 2008/08/07 00:55:40 (permalink)

But I wonder if there's any BBQ around that "cowtown" part of South Jersey where they actually have rodeos..lesseee, it's Woodstown, (the website says its the longest running rodeo in the US ?!?) (oh, I see, they mean from May to Sept.)

http://www.njsouth.com/index-cowtown.htm

hmmm, I wonder, ever been there?
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Big Ed's BBQ , Old Bridge, NJ (pulled pork) 2008/08/07 21:57:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

But I wonder if there's any BBQ around that "cowtown" part of South Jersey where they actually have rodeos..lesseee, it's Woodstown

hmmm, I wonder, ever been there?

You're right, NYNM, as Jersey is'nt known for great BBQ to begin with! Sis may be getting fooled a lot, cause she has'nt had the real thing enough. I KNOW that she likes her ribs to be real tender and to cut easily, though. She could tell right away if she's running into tough ribs, when she has trouble cutting them!

I can even get my beef ribs to come out crusty at home, and I certainly don't have a smoker.

Unfortunately, there is not much of any interest BBQ-wise in the Woodstown, NJ area....(if there is something I don't know about around there, let me know , Roadfooders)

I drive thru the town occasionally while taking Route 40 from AC to the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Woodstown is a backwoodsy area right near the bridge, and I only noticed a few coffee shop type places downtown, plus your usual fast food and gas stations.
    (just a town to go THRU, IMO)
    jerzeydawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Big Ed's BBQ , Old Bridge, NJ (pulled pork) 2008/08/10 17:02:48 (permalink)
    If you guys are looking for true BBQ ribs then go to a Portuguese churrasquera in Northern ,NJ
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2339
    RE: Big Ed's BBQ , Old Bridge, NJ (pulled pork) 2008/08/10 17:26:51 (permalink)
    I'm no authority on barbecue, but I've found the Front Street Smokehouse in Elizabeth to be very good. The owners have a slew of awards they won in Southern competitions. And they have beef ribs which are excellent. Ellen, I think you would like this place.
    John Fox
    RE: Big Ed's BBQ , Old Bridge, NJ (pulled pork) 2008/08/10 17:28:20 (permalink)
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Big Ed's BBQ , Old Bridge, NJ (pulled pork) 2008/08/10 22:15:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John Fox

I'm no authority on barbecue, but I've found the Front Street Smokehouse in Elizabeth to be very good. The owners have a slew of awards they won in Southern competitions. And they have beef ribs which are excellent. Ellen, I think you would like this place.

I WILL try it sometime, John, as I do remember you mentioning it in the past, as well...
    You know me, I love a good BEEF rib!

UPDATE: I just looked at their website, John, but for some reason it does'nt list BEEF ribs, just baby backs! (perhaps they no longer offer them?)

John Fox
    RE: Big Ed's BBQ , Old Bridge, NJ (pulled pork) 2008/08/11 06:37:16 (permalink)
    They offer them, but for some reason they're not on the menu. I remember reading about them in a review and was surprised to not see them on the menu the first time I went.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Big Ed's BBQ , Old Bridge, NJ (pulled pork) 2008/08/11 08:08:51 (permalink)
    The problem is that the term "BBQ" apparently means different things to different people. Too many operators are using the term. If the dining public was more educated as to what real legitimate "Q" was, they could not get away with that! But, because they don't, they'll rave about a place that simply is making ribs...not BBQ Ribs. That's what I ran into in Blowing Rock, NC. And yet, several posters on tripadvisor.com mentioned they loved the place (Woodland's BBQ).

There's nothing wrong with a restaurant making ribs of course and I'll eat them in any way, shape or form as long as they are good. But, if an open pit or a gas smoker is not being used, they should not call them BBQ ribs IMHO. Just call them ribs and add, if you must, "with our own special sauce."

Since this is not going to happen, I guess for those of us who care or just want to know what type of ribs we can expect to be eating at a particular place, we're just going to have to ask "do you cook them on an open pit or have a smoker?" Here again, you'll get some operators who'll lie. Waitresses, who'll return your question with a blank stare, etc.

In Pittsburgh, Tesarro's is a well known bar that makes one of the best burgers you'd ever want to eat. On Thursdays, they also serve ribs. They cannot offer them every night or at least they did not in the past (maybe that's changed?) because of their limited cooking space. I knew the old owner. He told me what he did.

He'd cook off the ribs during the day in his oven...No smoker. Just loaded them all in a deep roasting pan. Then, he'd finish them off before serving on a wood fired grill. Basting them (mop) while reheating them. So, what are they? They had a wonderful smokey taste, but no smoke ring.

I originally used an example of another place, The Montgomery Inn, Cincinnati, that "I thought" did not have a smoker. But, I stand corrected...Their site says cook over hardwood coals for 16 hours. Incidently, they have a great BBQ sauce. It's very thin, but very good. I had their mail order ribs and they did not taste to me like they'd been smoked.
    crazybob
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: Big Ed's BBQ , Old Bridge, NJ (pulled pork) 2008/08/17 14:08:59 (permalink)
    I rub my meat the night before, then cook it all night in a crock pot. The next day, I remove the bone, & pull my pork with two forks.

I don't have a smoker, & not ashamed to admit it. I just add some liquid smoke. My pulled pork sanwich is delicious & sells for 2.99. My costomers also ask for pulled pork on top of their nachos.

I make my own BBQ sause with tomatoe paste, brown sugar, vinegar, etc.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1