Big Texan Steak House, Amarillo TX.

Author
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
2004/08/04 13:21:16 (permalink)

Big Texan Steak House, Amarillo TX.

Hola!

The Big Texan Steak House in Amarillo Texas is one place I want to go before I die. I will go there and beat them at their own game!

72 ounces of Prime Texas steak, Baked Potato, Salad and a roll must be eaten with in one hour. if not, the meal costs 50 US Dollars.

How would I do this? By not eating for 36 hours.Nothing. Driving to Amarillo. Smoking a lot of substances (pardon if I offend, not intended)up until I reach the parking lot. Order meat well done.

I am about 250 lbs, and a man. The main block would be the size of the potato and the size of the shrimp cocktail. The salad should not be a problem.

Has anyone been here? Whats the food like? I know I may feel like this afterwards () but ti would be cool all the same.

Senor

7 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    RE: Big Texan Steak House, Amarillo TX. 2004/08/04 13:38:30 (permalink)
    Remember, you have to eat all the fat and gristle, too.
    WingLover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: Big Texan Steak House, Amarillo TX. 2004/08/04 15:43:47 (permalink)
    That is a LOT of food!! Good luck with it :)

~Jessica
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Big Texan Steak House, Amarillo TX. 2004/08/04 15:51:30 (permalink)
    Plenty of people have won the steak challenge, and it's not actually that difficult if you're a Big Hungry Boy. Munchies would be overkill, and fasting would be a huge mistake. (You'd throw up before you were halfway through.) The only reason I've never done it is because of the shrimp cocktail: substitutions are not allowed, but I'm hugely allergic to shrimp. $50 and bragging rights aren't worth dying of anaphylactic shock.

That said, I've eaten at the Big Texan several times (went to high school in Lubbock and college in a small town in New Mexico just about 100 miles from Amarillo) and it's well worth a visit: it's just a classic old school Texas steak house, and inside, it's still 1953.

There used to be a burger place in Lubbock called Riley's that had a similar challenge with a five-pound burger back in the mid-'80s. My brother and I were eventually banned from the restaurant -- seriously, they wouldn't let us in anymore -- because we'd go in and polish off one apiece in less than half the alloted time.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: Big Texan Steak House, Amarillo TX. 2004/08/04 16:04:51 (permalink)
    We have been to the Big Texan many times over the past 20 years. I have not done the big steak thing (I have to drive after that meal) so I speak only from the position of an observer. Two of my sons have done the steak at one of our stops back in the early 90's.

A couple of things to keep in mind-

1. The meat is NOT a Prime Filet. It looks like Sirloin, or more probably Chuck. There is quite a bit of "trimmings" visible on those that I have seen 'live'. When I saw one being done on the Food Channel it looked like a much better piece of beef.

2. You eat "Center-Stage" with an observer watching your every move, the the restaurant crowd cheering (or heckling) as they see fit. Throw a chunk of gristle at a heckler and you are out of the running (I have seen that happen).

3. Size of the consumer doesn't seem to matter. Small, Large, Fat, Skinny. Lots of folks try it. One of my boys got it done in about 37 minutes, the other took 51 min. but also made it thru. They both slept the next 200 plus miles of I-40 as we continued our eastbound journey.

4. Janet and I stopped there mid-afternoon one day last February. The place was almost empty. The service was really bad. Our food sat on the kitchen serving shelf for over 15 minutes while our server had several B S sessions with various other workers. When we pointed out to her that we had been waiting for an excess amount of time, she got rather rude and insisted that our meals weren't ready yet...until I pointed to the serving shelf. The meals were both cooked medium well not medium rare, and I asked for a replacement...at that point she passed us off to a mangement person who took their time deciding if we warranted that consideration. We left quite dissatisfied with the place. Since we have had some fairly good (nothing real special) meals at the place over the years, I am willing to try it again another time...but if it gets another black mark, it will be off my list for good.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Big Texan Steak House, Amarillo TX. 2004/08/04 16:31:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by senor boogie woogie

Hola!

The Big Texan Steak House in Amarillo Texas is one place I want to go before I die. I will go there and beat them at their own game!
    Senor

The first time that we went there (many years ago), our waitress announced to us that someone was trying to eat this dinner. He had eaten all the small stuff and was well into his steak when we went over to observe. He was trying very hard but finally admitted defeat. He told us that he could still eat but that his throat has become constricted and that he could no longer swallow!

One look at this 5 pound roast on display (not prime steak) and you will conclude that it is enough for a Sunday family roast beef dinner.
    " />" />
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Big Texan Steak House, Amarillo TX. 2004/08/04 16:43:22 (permalink)

Go to www.bigtexan.com for all the particulars. Don't forget that you also have to eat a baked potato, shrimp cocktail, roll and salad in addition to the 72 ounce sirloin to win!

You can also see their hall of fame which lists the age, height, weight and sex of all the winning eaters. Good luck. And bring a roll of tums with you.

Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Big Texan Steak House, Amarillo TX. 2004/08/04 17:40:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen
    1. The meat is NOT a Prime Filet. It looks like Sirloin, or more probably Chuck.

It's a 72-oz Top Sirloin. This is as it should be, since Top Sirloin is the universal preference of all true Texans.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1