Big W BBQ

Author
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
2008/06/19 18:49:36 (permalink)

Big W BBQ

Big W BBQ in Wingdale on /rt 22 n New York State is, as previously noted in these forums, one great BBQ shop. The ribs are meaty smokey lightly spiced juicy and tender, and the chicken is, if possible, even better than the ribs. A dark brown thin slightly vinegary sauce is served on the side. We'd eaten most of the meat before any of us even thought to try the sauce- this BBQ needs no sauce, but if you want it, the sauce is excellent. We had sides of delicious smokey sweet beans, very nice macncheese, and cole slaw. Soft drinks are available by the bottle from a cooler. The bill was $40 for the three of us including a tip for the counter girl. Sorry, but the very generous portions of ribs and chicken prevented us from trying the pulled pork, but be assured we will give it a try next time - and that will be soon.

Big W himself is a delightful outgoing character - he assured us that his BBQ was "just average, ordinary, so-so, and OK...", with a smile and a wink. He knows he's good and he obviously has fun running his business.

This place is easily worth a 100 nile detour, and as a bonus the hilly rural countryside of eastern Dutchess county is a delight to drive through on a beautiful late Spring day.

Cheers, John

13 Replies Related Threads

kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 825
    RE: Big W BBQ 2008/06/19 22:31:42 (permalink)
    If you are interested in factory tours or how modular homes are built, there is a tour of the Westchester Modular home factory on July 12th. It is also in Wingdale. Take the tour and enjoy good BBQ.
    http://www.westchester-modular.com/tour/
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Big W BBQ 2008/06/20 12:57:15 (permalink)
    Kozel;:I wonder if we could get four or five locals together to go out there on July 12?. Are you planning to go on that factory tour? Actually, I'm not all that interested in seeing modulars put together (but I would go on the tour if that was part of the package to get to eat some really good BBQ), so any other date in July would also be suitable to me.

BTW: We went to the Hunt Country Furniture sale just up the road from Big W yesterday and bought a couple of chairs for our dining room. I think the sale is thru this weekend only.

Cheers, John
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Big W BBQ 2008/06/20 13:14:05 (permalink)
    I took a long ride up to Big W when Warren would just pull over on the side of RT 22, before the storefront opened. It was a very big deal to have real BBQ around, and word spread fast. I waited on a long line of hungry folks, and brought home 3 racks of ribs and 2 chickens. The unanimous opinion (of some very experienced BBQ fans): oversmoked. I could not taste the pork or chicken flavors under the overpowering smoke taste. A real disappointment.
    Nice guy- absolutely.

Ron
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Big W BBQ 2008/06/20 20:37:57 (permalink)
    What's BBQ without smoke?

Cheers, John

rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Big W BBQ 2008/06/20 21:28:09 (permalink)
    Our experience was, "what's smoke without BBQ?".
    I've heard others who had similar reactions. I know Big W is still popular, though; I stopped there another time passing by, but he was closed.
    I'm willing to try again.
    Ron
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 825
    RE: Big W BBQ 2008/06/26 13:54:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Kozel;:I wonder if we could get four or five locals together to go out there on July 12?. Are you planning to go on that factory tour? Actually, I'm not all that interested in seeing modulars put together (but I would go on the tour if that was part of the package to get to eat some really good BBQ), so any other date in July would also be suitable to me.

BTW: We went to the Hunt Country Furniture sale just up the road from Big W yesterday and bought a couple of chairs for our dining room. I think the sale is thru this weekend only.

Cheers, John

I sent an inquiry to the factory about the tours and got this response...
    quote:
    From Westchester Modular
    Our tours start at 10:15 and are scheduled throughout the day. The last tour is at 3:00. If planning on this one, you need to be here by 2:30.
    You will not need a reservation and 5 people will not be a problem.
    When you arrive, you will be included in the next tour that will be
    going out.
    Hope to see you on the 12th.

I expect we'll be coming up baring any unforeseen complications. There may just be two of us (wife and me) and possibly my brother. Anyone else up for this?
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Big W BBQ 2008/06/29 12:07:03 (permalink)
    Kozel, thanks for the update; unfortunately, July 12 is not a convenient date for me to go on that tour. Hope we can get together some other time in the not too distant future. Along with Benzee ,I'm trying to get a group to visit Poughkeepsie's Soul Dog , Andy's Place, and Wingdale's Big W BBQ sometime in July...

Cheers, John
    Matt Gleason
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Big W BBQ 2008/06/29 16:20:10 (permalink)
    Too much smoke?

Benzee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1873
    RE: Big W BBQ 2008/06/29 17:53:45 (permalink)
    Hello all,

I love the idea of a mid week or weekend visit to Soul Dog , Andys Place ( where is it and details) and Wingdales Big W BBQ.

This would be a nice Hudson Valley Meet . Perhaps we could get a bigger group for the BBQ and on the way over stop at Soul Dog because it definetly is not a place for more than 8 to 10 .

Perhaps a Thread on the Misc Foods section will be good for these posts

Benzee

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Big W BBQ 2008/06/29 21:31:12 (permalink)
    Andy's place is in Poughkeepsie not far from Soul Dog and is a favorite lunch stop for locals. It is run by the Mayor's father and chili is the best thing to order on your first visit. It is off on a tiny side street and you need a local to guide you there.

Cheers, John
    Matt Gleason
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Big W BBQ 2008/07/01 17:52:10 (permalink)
    John,
    Looks like you are the local guide!

Benzee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1873
    RE: Big W BBQ 2008/07/01 20:01:21 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

Sounds like this is a plan . A stop at Soul Dog , head down to the river to Andys Place for some chili and than to Wingdale for some BBQ .
    John the Dog King is correct , you have been christend the tour guide for this event

Benzee
    sodawater43
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Big W BBQ 2008/07/01 20:14:43 (permalink)
    Hi Benzee, Tell us about Andy's Place( location etc.)Sounds like it would make a good stop to eat after going to the Stormville Flea Market. Thanks
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1