Big Y pizza dough

Author
kilerclown
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
2008/03/11 00:03:43 (permalink)

Big Y pizza dough

Since there are a lot of posters here from Connecticut I was wondering if anyone has tried Big Y's pizza dough. I love making pizza at home on the stone and have tried thier dough several times. It is as good if not better than the pizzeria. Seems like it has a really high hydration but has a slightly oily sheen with an excellent crunch and chew...

Now if only I could get thier recipe Id be loving life.

13 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Big Y pizza dough 2008/03/11 02:01:54 (permalink)
    I cant help you with the specific recipe, but you may want to check this site out: http://www.pizzamaking.com/
    kilerclown
    Hamburger
    RE: Big Y pizza dough 2008/03/11 07:04:33 (permalink)
    Thanks Vic...I am already a member there and made an inquiry.
    Frankman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: Big Y pizza dough 2008/03/11 07:37:44 (permalink)
    I have never tried the Big Y dough because I make my own. It's easy enough to make so I do it.
    kilerclown
    Hamburger
    RE: Big Y pizza dough 2008/03/11 11:29:21 (permalink)
    Most of the time I make my own dough as well however, this do is beyond anything one is capable doing at home. That is, unless you have a huge Hobart or a Santos fork mixer and unlimited access to KASL flour. All the VWG in the world and Kitchenaid's wont bump home quality to this level.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Big Y pizza dough 2008/03/11 11:49:01 (permalink)
    Well, when they say it's the water that makes the dough unique, I believe it. Now we have to check to see how much antibiotics or other meds are in the regional water, and try to match them locally.
    kilerclown
    Hamburger
    RE: Big Y pizza dough 2008/03/11 22:00:15 (permalink)
    I heard about that report too. Kinda disturbing when the reporter was talking about people flushing meds down the toilet and the expert is talking about the meds passing through peoples systems and making it from the sewage system back into the drinking water.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Big Y pizza dough 2008/03/12 08:18:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kilerclown

Most of the time I make my own dough as well however, this do is beyond anything one is capable doing at home. That is, unless you have a huge Hobart or a Santos fork mixer and unlimited access to KASL flour. All the VWG in the world and Kitchenaid's wont bump home quality to this level.
    I couldn't disagree with you more. I use to do mine all by hand, no machine and the product most always came out exellent.
    Now on occasion I use a food processor when pressed for time and it still comes out just fine.
    What is a VWG and KASL flour? I'm not up to the text messageing thing.
    Chow Jim
    kilerclown
    Hamburger
    RE: Big Y pizza dough 2008/03/12 11:34:38 (permalink)
    VWG is vital wheat gluten and KASL is King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour which is what a vast majority of great pizza made with. KASL cannot be bought in stores but only through wholesalers or through King Atrhur mail order. The flour sold in stores does not have the protein content to mirror what is available in restaraunts. Even adding the gluten, while this helps greatly, doesnt give the same end product that KASL does.
    porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Big Y pizza dough 2008/03/12 14:35:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kilerclown

VWG is vital wheat gluten and KASL is King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour which is what a vast majority of great pizza made with. KASL cannot be bought in stores but only through wholesalers or through King Atrhur mail order. The flour sold in stores does not have the protein content to mirror what is available in restaraunts. Even adding the gluten, while this helps greatly, doesnt give the same end product that KASL does.

King Arthur bread flour, which is available locally at Publix and Kroger stores, makes a very acceptable pizza dough and, at almost 13% protein level, is pretty close to the KA Sir Lancelot at just over 14%. With high gluten flour doughs, hand kneading can be very difficult and this must be taken into consideration.

As far as the "vast majority of great pizza", I guess that depends on what you consider "great". The fancy joints with their super high-temp, wood-burning Italian ovens, that produce "authentic" Neopolitan pizza, use a "00" flour, like Caputo, that is actually very low protein/gluten at just over 8%.

In my opinion, a 3 day cold fermentation of the dough works wonders, as far ease of handling and taste of the final product. There's a whole lot more to the secret of great tasting pizza than VWG and KASL. pb
    kilerclown
    Hamburger
    RE: Big Y pizza dough 2008/03/16 22:24:01 (permalink)
    Once again I will draw questions and criticisms to the above mentioned forum. Also, look at Varasano's site too... They are all very enlightening.
    kilerclown
    Hamburger
    RE: Big Y pizza dough 2008/03/16 22:44:50 (permalink)
    By the way, I'm not looking for an argument. I am simply stating my opinion that without the proper ingredients and tools it is extremely difficult to get the same results that you would through commercial processes. I am not saying that the dough people make at home is terrible or unedible. Often I make dough at home with cold ferment however it pales in comparison with this particular dough. If you have actually had the dough from this store then you would be able to tell why I appreciate it so much.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Big Y pizza dough 2008/03/17 06:56:55 (permalink)
    I always have KASL on hand at home. It's no big deal to get it.

I buy it here:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/
    rumsongirl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Big Y pizza dough 2008/03/17 13:05:29 (permalink)
    have tried big y's dough....quite good.
    my husband use to work for a co. the did metal detection in food/phamacutical places.
    they got dough from somewhere to see if their mach. could detect metal in it. the dough they
    didn't use was gonna be thrown away...he brought it home....about 25 balls of it!
    boy, was it good!....not sure who made it, but for free it was great!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1