Birria in Orange County, CA!!

Author
HotRodGuy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
2005/12/19 13:46:02 (permalink)

Birria in Orange County, CA!!

Anyone know of any good Birria Places in Orange County? I work in Santa Fe Springs and have tried a few good places out there including Birrieria Chalio in Whittier which is one of my favorites. They have about 7 different styles of Birria. That said, i'm just a little white boy from a beach city who loves Mexican food, esp. the stuff us "gringo's" usually frown at, Lingua, Birria, etc.

I've yet to really find a place in Orange County that fits my needs, there are plenty of great places to get a good burrito made, suprisingly a place called "chronic taco" that makes some great food but just isn't the authentic food i'm looking for. Another place in Costa Mesa called El Toro Bravo only make birria on the weekends, and every sunday i'm the lone white guy in line sounding like an idiot ordering my "birrrrrriaaa" burrito ;) I'm looking for a restaraunt style place.

I really enjoy it dry, not made into a soup or liquid, so it's similiar to carnitas. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

9 Replies Related Threads

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4538
    RE: Birria in Orange County, CA!! 2005/12/19 14:25:02 (permalink)
    If you're like me, you read this post without any clue what birria is. So I googled it, and the following is pretty representative of what was returned....

http://www.epicurus.com/food/cookbook/viewrecipe.php?id=915&category=Soups%20and%20Stews
    HotRodGuy
    Junior Burger
    RE: Birria in Orange County, CA!! 2005/12/19 14:37:42 (permalink)
    Sorry about that, however that recipe doesn't really describe it as there are so many ways to cook it.

A good general discription would be

birria = spicy goat
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Birria in Orange County, CA!! 2005/12/20 10:20:46 (permalink)
    If you ever find yourself in San Juan Capistrano there's good birria at El Molino de Oro, and at a place I can't recall the name of located in the little El Adobe Plaza at Del Obispo and Camino Capistrano.

If you're ever in Fontana, there's great birria and lengua at Viva Villa on Slover off the 10 between Cherry and Citrus.

Sorry I can't get any closer than that to SFS.
    HotRodGuy
    Junior Burger
    RE: Birria in Orange County, CA!! 2005/12/20 10:57:55 (permalink)
    Funny you mention Viva Villa, that is actually how I found this site! I did a search for Fontana and Birria because i'm taking my wife out there tomorrow for a doctors appt.

I actually live in Huntington Beach so the places in SJC aren't too far away, i've also had El Molino on my list of places to try for some time now.

Thanks for the info Capt!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3893
    RE: Birria in Orange County, CA!! 2005/12/20 13:31:23 (permalink)
    I often go to one of my favorite places here in Long Beach, very close to OC, for Birria. They have birria plates as well as burritos. The place is Casa Sanchez. 3948 E Anaheim St in Long Beach. (562) 494-4156. check them out------it's not far from you.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Birria in Orange County, CA!! 2005/12/20 14:02:50 (permalink)
    I'm a regular at Viva Villa. They also have a carneceria inside the place to the right, and a good selection of fresh bakery treats. Good horchata also. I'd offer to join you, but I blew this week's wad at the mall for presents.

The place in Capistrano that I can't recall the name of is my personal preference, although there's nothing wrong with El Molino. El Molino has an attached panaderia, and their fresh coconut macaroons are food of the gods.

Two more places to try down there (I lived in Capistrano for 45 years before coming out here last year). El Patio in Capistrano Beach has been in the same location and family since opening their doors in 1953, and I've been going there since I was 5 years old, which makes the year 1960.

On El Camino Real in San Clemente is Dave's Mexican restaurant. The owner Danny has been a friend of mine since 7th grade, and he turns out one of a kind recipes.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3893
    RE: Birria in Orange County, CA!! 2005/12/20 15:17:17 (permalink)
    Too bad you didn't post this two days ago, EngineCapt! I was in Capistrano yesterday and would have enjoyed trying El Molino. Next time!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Birria in Orange County, CA!! 2005/12/20 16:02:25 (permalink)
    Next time you know you're going to be down there or here in Fontana, be sure to email me and I'll set you up with the places I know are good from personal experience, Mexican, Italian etc. I don't hit Roadfood every day, so try the email route.
    ereyserx
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Birria in Orange County, CA!! 2009/04/09 02:09:18 (permalink)
    This reply is only 3+ years too late, but try Marquez Restaurant in Norwalk. It's on Rosecrans near the corner of Carmenita, so it shouldn't be too far from your work. They serve birria (dry-style) in tacos, burritos and by the pound if you want to take it out.

And, yes, you are likely to be the palest guy in the restaurant, but the restaurant is authentic, family-style and worth the trip.

http://www.marquezrestaurant.com/
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1