The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Birthday dinner at The Chicken Place in Ireland, IN

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
Birthday dinner at The Chicken Place in Ireland, IN Sat, 03/28/09 11:34 AM (permalink)
Thursday evening I celebrated my birthday at The Chicken Place in Ireland, IN.

The Chicken Place has been mentioned several times at Roadfood, but it is so good that it deserves another shoutout.  The Chicken Place is in southwestern Indiana just west of Jasper, IN.  We like to eat in the bar area, last Thursday Purdue was playing UCON in the NCAA & the bar was filled with Purdue fans- great atmosphere.

I am not a beer drinker, but all the others in my group are & they always love the draft beer.  You can either get a "handle"(mug with handle) or a "schooner"( large round bottomed glass, looks like it holds about a quart of beer).  All of our party got "handles" because the "handles" are so nicely chilled- the ouside of the mug is so frosty you can scrape off the frost with your finger.

Ah, the food-  the chicken is so crispy & inside the chicken is juicy & tender.  They also serve great livers or gizzards which you can get as a meal or appetizer.  It is hard to find a place that knows how to fry livers & gizzards correctly-crispy on the outside, but not fried to a cidner on the inside.   I always have the coleslaw- a generous portion of very thinly shredded with a tangy sweet/sour vinegar dressing, german potatoes-fried potatoes with almost burnt bits of onion, & 2 thighs.  They also have great fresh cut french fries.  all the protions are very generous, come hungry.  Warm, freshly sliced bread is served with the meal, the bread comes from a german bakery in Jasper, we go though 4-5 plates of bread.

Be sure & come hungry, you won't be disappointed.

Ireland, IN is off the beaten path, but it is a destination for us when we have a craving for fried chicken.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3667
    Re:Birthday dinner at The Chicken Place in Ireland, IN Sat, 03/28/09 12:36 PM (permalink)
    Belated Happy Birthday!  This sounds like a great place.  I would love to have a place nearby like that.

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
      Re:Birthday dinner at The Chicken Place in Ireland, IN Sat, 03/28/09 12:45 PM (permalink)
      Greymo,

We are not exactly close, it takes about an 1 hour 15 minutes away, but the trip is entirely worth it.

Louis

• Total Posts: 714
        Re:Birthday dinner at The Chicken Place in Ireland, IN Sat, 03/28/09 7:03 PM (permalink)
        I've been making the 1 hour 20 minute drive north to the Chicken Place 3 or 4 times a year for the last 27 years.  It's only four miles west of Jasper, Indiana on highway 56 in the little town of Ireland.  It's worth the drive, and I've never been disappointed once.  The fried chicken is great, and I am partial to the warm German potato salad.

You have to get there early, especially on weekends.  They only have a seating capacity of about 200, and in the summertime I've seen people lined out on the street at 4:30 in the afternoon, all waiting patiently for a table.  If you like fried chicken, this is a place to check out.

buffetbuster

Re:Birthday dinner at The Chicken Place in Ireland, IN Sat, 03/28/09 7:50 PM (permalink)
          I have only made it to The Chicken Place one time, but the meal was terrific.  As good as the chicken was, the German potato salad was the #1 star. Like Louis said, they can get crazy busy and you will see lines out both the front door and back door.  But it is well worth the wait!

Thanks for the report claracamille.  And happy birthday!  This place deserves to be reviewed here on Roadfood.
          <message edited by buffetbuster on Sat, 03/28/09 7:52 PM>

plb

Re:Birthday dinner at The Chicken Place in Ireland, IN Sat, 03/28/09 10:44 PM (permalink)
            Wow, bad timing on my part.  I was only a few miles from there last week.  I was in Bloomington, drove down through Brown County, over to French Lick and West Baden Hot Springs, then back to Blooomington.  Who knows when I'll be in the area again.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com