Birthplace of the Texas Wiener

Author
hilldweller
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
2004/05/12 12:38:15 (permalink)

Birthplace of the Texas Wiener

I just stumbled across this, from the April, 2004 New Jersey Monthly issue,[url='http://www.njmonthly.com/issues/Apr04/bestnj3.html']The Best of the Garden State[/url]:

quote:
Best Reason to Carry Tums

Although Paterson was once best known for its silk industry, it has long boasted of its standing as home to the Texas wiener, that culinary confluence of hot dog, chili, onions, and mustard. Legend has it that in 1920, John Petrellis, a Greek immigrant who had bought a hot-dog stand from an uncle, served an unnamed patron who had bought some chili from a nearby eatery. Voilà, the loaded dog was born. Petrellis even renamed the stand “the Original Hot Texas Wiener.” Although others lay claim to the invention, including a stand in Plainfield called Texas Lunch, everyone has a favorite source, from one of Falls View’s several locations in Paterson to Clifton’s Hot Grill and Johnny & Hanges in Fair Lawn. Yet all agree that the best Texas wieners are grown not in the Lone Star State but in the Garden State, “You have to eat one to know one,” says Falls View co-owner Bob McEntee.

But why was it called a "Texas Weiner?"

5 Replies Related Threads

renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Birthplace of the Texas Wiener 2004/05/12 13:16:56 (permalink)
    I grew up in jersey and was always told becasue of the association of Texas with chili.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Birthplace of the Texas Wiener 2004/05/12 13:20:51 (permalink)
    Renfrew is probably right, but i like to believe that , like Texas, the whole story is probably an exaggeration, at best, and a damn lie, at worst...
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: Birthplace of the Texas Wiener 2004/05/12 15:43:46 (permalink)
    Bushie---Clear this up for them will you ,Please???
    Once and for all....Where were you born?

For those of you who haven't met the Great Bushmeister, His H S yearbook was dedicated to the "Great Texas Weiner" and framed his Senior photograph. That should answer any and all questions.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Birthplace of the Texas Wiener 2004/05/12 16:00:42 (permalink)
    Out of an article:

The specific reasons for his choice of "Texas," unfortunately, are more likely to remain unexplained. I suppose that, seeking to give a unique and, for Paterson, exotic name to his new and somewhat spicy food — itself characterized by a sauce whose name ("chili") carries Western, Latino, and cowboy associations — he might have chosen the "Texas" designation to give his creation what today we'd call an "image."

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/wiphtml/essay6/essay6a.html
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Birthplace of the Texas Wiener 2004/05/12 16:26:54 (permalink)
    **LOL**

Good one, Mr. Mayor.

BTW, how did you get a copy of my yearbook?

Also, nice shot, SJ. )
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1