Hot!Biscuits and Gravy

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15307
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2005/10/26 20:51:09 (permalink)

Mr Hoffman,

I have learned (after much practice) that it IS possible to eat B & G as one departs from the DQ drive-up window ! How's that for heresy?

P S, Get a spare Sausage Biscuit to break up into the mess
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18700
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2005/10/26 20:56:08 (permalink)
I didn't know Dairy Queens were open for breakfast. The ones around here aren't -- I don't think.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15307
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2005/10/26 21:01:16 (permalink)
Our's (Corydon, Indiana) is a 24 hour a day operation. B&G at 4 am is really a great breakfast !
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2005/10/27 08:45:05 (permalink)
I have to laugh about this thread. I was raised in the south and my mother was from east Tn. She made freah biscuits at least once a day and usually twice.

Pillsbury biscuits take twenty minutes to bake and granted there is no mess but then there is little mess if biscuits are made often. My biscuits come out of the oven five minutes before the Pillsbury frozen ones and everything is cleaned up and waiting for tommorrow by then.

Please don't ask for a recipe as I have never measured anythting while making biscuits. Mama didn't teach it to me that way. Southern flour is the preferred brand in the Carolinas w/ buttermilk not fresh milk as the liquid.
Poopy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2005/10/27 09:04:13 (permalink)
Never, never, never order biscuits and gravy at an IHOP in Minneapolis. What was I thinking ordering this in the north!

There is a fantastic hole in the wall restaurant in Wichita called the Breakfast Club that has the absolute best biscuits and gravy.
SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2005/10/28 15:14:47 (permalink)
Sausage out of a can! Uck! Can't beat good old milk gravy or redeye gravy. My granny use to make chocolate gravy too, though I have never made it. My dad's favorite was SOS. I have bought the Stoffer's brand of SOS but found it to be too salty. I make homemade gravy every Sunday. I use the pan drippings from frying sausage and then add flour and brown the flour then pour in milk and S&P, then let it boil until it thickens. Works everytime this way.
BhamBabe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2005/10/28 16:11:34 (permalink)
SassyGritsAL,

My mamaw makes the best chocolate gravy ever. Haven't thought of that in years! Thanks so much, now I gotta go act all sweet and pretty so mamaw will make me some

Gonna grab her 4 layer orange cake and Lane cake recipes while I'm there too. Will make sure to eat first though lol
dlcapo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2005/11/14 11:22:33 (permalink)
For world class bisquits and gravy you can't beat Sweety Pies in Placerville,calif.
If your ever in the area don't miss it. You'll thank me a MILLION !!!
backfrmIraq
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2005/12/29 08:59:06 (permalink)
Lower Alabama checkin' in....I've found that Wal Mart's frozen biscuits 20 for $2.95 are great for B/G..or jam...or butter and ribbon cane syrup, which you can still get at roadside stands around here....I usually make sausage gravy, but every once in a while I'll make a skillet of tomato gravy....got a recipe from a seasoned lady from Chunchula AL....this was definitely for someone who's gonna do some hard work after breakfast...it is very filling....I agree with the boardies that said Cracker Barrel makes terrible B/G..no flavor, miniscule bits of sausage and sorta runny...yuk...
dpanagrosso
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2005/12/29 15:46:15 (permalink)
I made biscuits and gravy at home this morning for the first time in years. I used the regular old Pillsbury non-Grands biscuits (what I had the first time with biscuits & gravy). And I must have cooked up a 1/2 lb. of thick sliced-bacon. Made the gravy. And then dined like I haven't in a long time.

It was wonderful!!
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2005/12/29 17:45:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by V960

I have to laugh about this thread. I was raised in the south and my mother was from east Tn. She made freah biscuits at least once a day and usually twice.

Pillsbury biscuits take twenty minutes to bake and granted there is no mess but then there is little mess if biscuits are made often. My biscuits come out of the oven five minutes before the Pillsbury frozen ones and everything is cleaned up and waiting for tommorrow by then.

Please don't ask for a recipe as I have never measured anythting while making biscuits. Mama didn't teach it to me that way. Southern flour is the preferred brand in the Carolinas w/ buttermilk not fresh milk as the liquid.

When I would visit my Aunt on the farm in Virginia, she made scratch biscuits for every meal.Morning, noon and night!
Fresh ones everytime, since there was no such thing as leftovers when we got finished...
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2005/12/29 17:47:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by blohatchii

I always ate biscuits and gravy while I lived in Fl and got them so cheap never had to make them myself. Came to MA for a visit went to a Bickford's for breakfast seen it on the menu stated as suasage biscuits and gravy and ordered it.
Got some OK biscuits but the gravy had us laughing at the table,. It was a glazy brown gravy with mushrooms, onions and peppers with link sausage on the side. This was served at 7:00am. I could not let it go and told the waitress that this was not sausage gravy and biscuits as the menu stated she got miffed and got the cook who came out and told me that he didn't care where I was from but up here in New England this is how everyone likes the biscuits and gravy. Needless to say I didn't eat it.

I have since made my own:
I use Jiffy or Bisquick mix according to pkg. I don't roll or drop. Instead a mold them like I would a burger then bake, always good.
For the gravy I fry up bulk sausage and leave the drippings and pieces in the pan and mix with a little butter, flour and milk untill I have the consistancy I want then I add sausage back to pan and season with Ms. Dash and s&p as needed. I get raves every time. Quick and easy

LOL.. dont try ordering grits, then they will really laugh.. I tried when I moved from FL to MA, and was almost booted out of town.. Had to have some shipped in!
However, Dennys here in Portland, Maine, has them on the menu..
go Figure...
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2005/12/29 18:19:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
Originally posted by V960

When I would visit my Aunt on the farm in Virginia, she made scratch biscuits for every meal.Morning, noon and night!
Fresh ones everytime, since there was no such thing as leftovers when we got finished...

UM HHHHUUUUHHHHHH. Got some mustard for them biscuits? What about some french fried pertaters?

--Carl--

Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2006/05/04 09:27:42 (permalink)
There is nothing more satisfying in the morning as the smell and anticipation of fresh baked buttermilk bicuits with a skillet of sausage gravy standing by waiting to help. I'm originally from the south (Tenn.) but was raised in Cincinnati's west side, where not less than a few hill folk have settled. B&G was never a problem. As I got older and traveled one of the first things that became obvious was just how deprived a good portion of America is when it comes to this stick to your ribs breakfast necessity! And as we all know breakfast will not be constrained by a kitchen clock! A resident of the Bluegrass state now, where you can't hardly chuck a rock out the window without hitting a plate between 5:00-11:00a.m.. Here's my favorite B&G story(I have several). In Jackson Mississippi I ordered said topic. Two wonderful biscuits come out smothered with I did not know what. I also ordered my fried eggs to be placed on top. This got me a strange look(one like the one you have right now I'll wager). When I asked what they used for gravy I was told "well gravy!". Leftover gravy from the night befores dinner menu...which happend to be chicken. Seems practical! Though a wee bit confusing to my waitress as to why someone would want his eggs on top of chicken gravy and biscuits. Lesson learned; Alway's make sure your menu is flavor specific(at least in Jackson Miss)!
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2006/05/04 10:23:58 (permalink)
Just last night, we decided to have gravy and biscuits for supper.
I made chipped beef gravy. I had canned biscuits and canteloupe.
A very satisfying supper.
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2006/05/04 15:05:25 (permalink)
What? Chipped beef gravey on biscuits? No, no, that's not right. That belongs on toast. Sausage gravy belongs on biscuits.

My mama said so, and that means law. She was from Oklahoma, and died when I was 18, but even today, I wouldn't dare try that combo like you did. She'd have come after me for sure.

" />
prison cook
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2006/05/06 19:18:42 (permalink)
what self respecting road food afficianado eats frozen or canned bsicuits?? YUCCK! if you can read, you can cook/bake.. try making some home made biscuits and then for the very best sauage gravy you need a box of kentucky kernel seasoned flour (you can usually find this in the grocery by the drakes mix breading stuff) and a roll of Old Folks brand sausage. Just make up a double batch of the white sauce recipe on the kentucky kernel box (we use margarine instead of the sausage grease so that it doesn't taste TOO greasy) and then add in your fried off old folks.. nothin better..

and I agree, the folks who pawn off sausage gravy at Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel oughta be shot.. garbage

and for the absolute best biscuits ever, if it is still there, try the Doe Run Inn in Brandenburg KY ..has been a while since we were there, but they brought you a basket of silver dollar sized biscuits that would melt in your mouth.. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

and for a whole different twist on biscuits try the fried biscuits and apple butter at the Nashville House in Nashville (Brown County) Indiana
Blower
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2006/05/13 04:18:22 (permalink)
Sausage gravy is one of my specialties. I'm somewhat obsessive about it.

One thing you might want to try is after you brown the sausage and remove, add about a teaspoon of italian seasoning(trust me on this one), cook it breifly in the fat, then start your roux and proceed as normal. Controlling the sweetness of the milk (I'm not giving all my secrets out :) )and salt content is critical. My biscuts are nothing special but I'd put my gravy against anyone's.

Wow, am I hungry now.

Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 984
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2006/05/19 10:24:25 (permalink)
I use Oldham Farms sausage, a local brand, season with pepper, poultry seasoning and a little tabasco, then make my roux and add the milk. Also use frozen buscuits, since my wife likes to have this for dinner during the week, so no time for scratch biscuits.
rsraven
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2006/05/23 21:58:58 (permalink)
To the poster who demurred at the idea of chipped beef gravy on biscuits, all I can say is chacun à son goût. My mother, raised in Arkansas in the 20s, always made this dish--more properly, I suppose, called "creamed chipped beef on biscuits"--and for me it's still the sine qua non for a hearty breakfast. Her biscuits were rolled and made from scratch. The gravy was made from a few spoonfuls of bacon fat (with some bacon bits in it for added flavor), a few spoonfuls of flour, and milk. When my wife and I first moved to Pasadena, CA, a little diner on Green Street and Oak Knoll made great creamed chipped beef for breakfast, but always on toast. It's hard to find at all these days, and the only place in the area that even has biscuits and gravy is Denny's (I think it's sausage gravy, but....)

If you ever go to Kauai, I heartily recommend the Camp House Grill on the southern side of the island. They made (as of 1995, my last trip there) a peppery sausage gravy and biscuit breakfast that is worth a trip back to have again.

I would appreciate any recommendations on good biscuits and gravy breakfasts in the California area. I drive to Sacramento about 4 times a year and am always hoping to find another good breakfast place.
desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2006/05/24 19:35:06 (permalink)
Chipped Beef Gravy on Toast in the Army is lovingly known as s**t on a shingle. It is difficult to find quality biscuits and gravy these days in restaurants. In my book the biscuits must be home made and the gravy must be country sausage based. Lots of freshly cracked pepper added to the rue is key. I like it served with buttery scrambled eggs, hash browns and sausage patties with the gravy pretty much spread over the whole mess. Top it all off with a generous splash of Tabasco sauce and Bob's your uncle! Believe it or not I found the Cafe Express in Flagstaff, AZ does a bang up job. Close to the best I ever had in a restaurant. And it is not even a "greasy spoon."
dasl_4
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2006/06/14 18:58:08 (permalink)
Has anyone eaten or have a recipe for Vinegar Gravy? I am a milk gravy person myself but my mom and aunts would have vinegar gravy from time to time and loved it. I am looking for a recipe to serve at a family reunion :) thnx
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2006/06/15 18:00:23 (permalink)
I must confess to having never heard of vinegar gravy. Is it a tablespoon of the stuff? Thai restaurants have a vinegar soup which is quite tart but gravy? I'm lost.
fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2006/06/25 10:32:09 (permalink)
Its great.
I never find it on Long Island or New York City, but I have made it.
Fry a whole pak of bacon till crisp and grease released.
Throw the bacon out.
Add a few tbsp flour to make the roux browned, add skim milk to make it diet, cook till nice and thick, then add black pepper.
Eat with your favorite biscuits and wait to see if your left arm starts feeling numb.
WVHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2006/06/25 11:10:27 (permalink)
yaaaaawn, leave it to a bunch of foodies to take a simple country staple and make it complicated.
Make up the bisquits, fry the sausage, make the gravy. You're done.
This aint complex cooking.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2006/06/25 11:27:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by WVHillbilly

yaaaaawn, leave it to a bunch of foodies to take a simple country staple and make it complicated.
Make up the bisquits, fry the sausage, make the gravy. You're done.
This aint complex cooking.

Quite agreed. "Vinegar gravy"... LOL

BTW. What in the hell is a "bisquit"?
RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2006/06/25 11:56:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fabulousoyster

Throw the bacon out.

Blasphemy
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 525
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2006/06/27 12:10:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fabulousoyster

Its great.
I never find it on Long Island or New York City, but I have made it.
Fry a whole pak of bacon till crisp and grease released.
Throw the bacon out.
Add a few tbsp flour to make the roux browned, add skim milk to make it diet, cook till nice and thick, then add black pepper.
Eat with your favorite biscuits and wait to see if your left arm starts feeling numb.

Throw the bacon out??

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2006/06/30 10:57:09 (permalink)
Okay. You folks have done it!!! I am making biscuits and gravy right now....
I am using chipped beef and yes, the Pillsbury frozen biscuits. I could make fresh ones, but I only need two for just myself, so it isn't worth the effort.
I am equally open to sausage, bacon and ground beef as possible bases for the gravy. Well, not so much ground beef, but that was how we made it in the Navy. This was for the traditional S.O.S that we all know, but we also made something called Minced Beef (For 100) that used canned tomatoes.
The biscuits are ready and so is the gravy. Time to eat.....

mark
marzsit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 368
RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2006/12/02 09:11:44 (permalink)
my problem with canned biscuit dough is that it always tastes "canned"... but i'm too lazy to make them from scratch and rool them out so i use bisquick instead (the foodservice type in the yellow box, not the stuff you get at the supermarket.. there is a difference) and bake them in a lodge cast-iron biscuit pan as drop biscuits. much better than canned or frozen and just as easy really.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1