Author
Jennie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
2003/10/17 17:48:50 (permalink)

Biscuits and Gravy

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

Sausage gravy and buiscuts is not just for breakfast anymore.

It is a wonderful cold night supper!

My husband is from the Deep South. Of England. He's from Eastbourne, 60 miles south of London, and has been over here in Maryland since 1991. We spent the weekend with a friend in Richmond several years ago, and went to one of those all-you-can-eat breakfast trough places. On the steamer table was . . .biscuits and gravy. Hubby had never had this, and, being an adventurous eater, got some. He'd tried grits and liked them, so why not? He loved them! The next day, our host was making breakfast, and made biscuits and sausage gravy for hubby. It's basically a rue made with browned sausage grease, with the sausage mixed back in.

Several months later, our host became guest, and hubby proudly served Biscuits and Sausage Gravy. Our guest said, "Wow! Where'd you learn to make these?!" Hubby said, "Well, you showed me!" But in the intervening time, hubby had been experimenting with the recipe. He now uses loose bratwurst meat rather than ordinary sausage meat, and gets Pillsbury cornbread biscuits instead of plain. They're faaabulous.

However, later that year, his mother came over from England for a visit. (Cue scary music.) Once again, he made up the nummy dish, and she took one look at it and said, "I'm sorry, but I can't eat this. It looks like someone's eaten it already." lol!!! Ah well, can't please everyone.

168 Replies Related Threads

Hepcat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/17 19:33:43 (permalink)
    I love biscuits and gravy! The only places anywhere near Toronto where I've enjoyed this delicacy is at the breakfast buffets of Elias Bros. Big Boy Restaurants. Unfortunately, all the ones I knew of in Toronto and London, Ontario have long since closed.

Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/17 20:38:00 (permalink)
    I make biscuits and gravy occasionally for supper instead of breakfast. I make it with 1 roll of Jimmy Dean regular and 1 roll of hot, and use PET milk in the gravy.

Just the way my MIL makes it....(eeekkkk!) but it is soooo good!
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/17 23:35:10 (permalink)
    Much the same here, the ultimate "breakfast isn't just for breakfast any more" meal.

Hot sausage, Tennessee Pride for choice. Make patties, leaving a goodly bit unformed. Fry up the sausage in a NON-non-stick skillet (you want the crispy bits), cooking the loose sausage along with it. I usually add the loose meat about halfway through so it stays soft. Remove the patties, pour off just a bit of the fat (enough to fry a couple of eggs, and make a light roux. Add milk, season to taste (I usually add a few red pepper flakes). While that's simmering, take a medium home-grown tomato, the "meatier" the better, and peel & seed it, then chop the meat finely and add it to the gravy and let it cook long enough to dissolve the tomato.

Clean the skillet, return drippings to skillet (or use a non-stick one this time), cook eggs as you like them. Over medium is my favorite: white done, yolk runny. Serve it all on a plate & enjoy!
    Ralph Isbill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/18 00:59:08 (permalink)

Let me wade in here. There is nothing better for breakfast or a late supper than biscuits and gravyCook the flour and add a lot of black pepper.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5420
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/18 06:53:53 (permalink)
    Open can of Grand's biscuits, your choice of flavor, but I prefer the buttermilk or corn ones. Bake in oven per instructions on can. 375 for 13 minutes in my preheated oven. Your's will differ slightly on time.

Fry up 5 or 6 strips of bacon to desired crispiness. Remove bacon from drippings to paper towels. Pour off drippings to side bowl and reserve. Make 4 sausage patties from 1 lb roll of country sausage. Add patties to the pan and chop up the remainder of the roll in the pan. Fry until done. Remove patties to paper towels with the bacon and the loose cooked sausage to seperate paper towels. Retain the sausage drippings and add back about half the bacon drippings. Add seasoned flour (salt, pepper, garlic powder) to the fat and stir until browned. Add whole milk and stir until desired constinency of gravy is reached. (fairly thick) Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Add back the "scrambled" sausage and stir well.

Remove biscuits from oven when timer goes off.

Serve biscuits on a warm plate and gravy in a warm bowl. Bacon and sausage patties on a warm plate as well. Jam, jellies and honey for those that don't want gravy (silly people). Eat 2 biscuits with gravy and 1 with sausage patty and peach jam

The rest of the bacon fat can be used for seasoning other food or for frying eggs.

Well I know what I'm doing this morning when I get off work.

MikeS.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/18 08:53:12 (permalink)
    My fav local diner makes biscuits and gravy only on the weekends but I get mine special....sausage gravy over whole wheat toast.mmmmm
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/18 14:04:00 (permalink)
    don't forget the hot sauce....my choice being 'Franks Louisiana' or Crystals extra hot......man,what a dish bisquits and gravy are!!!!
    topferment
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/18 15:18:22 (permalink)
    I too love bisquits and gravy. But I also make bacon or salt pork gravy served on toast. I usually do this when I don't want to bother my wife to make biscuits or don't have any sausage on hand.

Just fry up some bacon or salt pork until crisp, preferable in cast iron. Remove the pork and add flour to the fat to make a roux, add milk and whisk until thick. Add a lot of fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste. You can break up the pork and add it back to the gravy or just layer it on the toast and pour the gravy over all. This is also great on home fries or hash browns.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/18 15:31:30 (permalink)
    I can understand using Pioneer country gravy mix as a basis for sausage gravy, because it's both perfect for it and a staple of diners throughout the lower half of the country.

But seriously, you guys. Tinned biscuits for biscuits and gravy? That's like making fudge with Nesquik.
    Heartburn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/18 16:36:13 (permalink)
    If you are in a hurry,Franco-American has just come out with a Contry-
    Style canned Sausage Gravy thats pretty good.(Don't use Libbys)
    Also Sam's bakery dept. has two dozen packages of southern biscuits that are good.
    I freeze them and bake as needed.
    As for grits,Fry smme diced ham and mixthe ham and some cheese to the hot grits(GOOD)
    Wistah
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 213
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/18 19:08:45 (permalink)
    Whatever you do....DON'T go to Cracker Barrel for biscuits and gravy - I did this this morning since B&G is virtually impossible to find in New England except at Cracker Barrel. What a disappointment!!!

Thin, lukewarm, flavorless "gravy", barely warm, mediocre biscuits (McDonalds does them better), grits that HAD to be microwaved. Bleeeccchhh!!!

End of Rant
    Lone Star
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/18 21:42:26 (permalink)
    Lucky....while canned biscuits aren't as good as our grandmammas made, they are a good substitue for a working weeknight supper. It's the gravy that's important!
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/18 21:49:43 (permalink)
    I don't really like the canned one much, but those ones that come in the frozen food section in a bag (picture white hockey pucks) are really good and an easy deal if you are in a hurry.

Also, while we are on the storebought bread subject, have any of you ever tried any of the "Sister Schubert's" line of yeast rolls? We can get 'em everywhere here on the Gulf, I am not so sure about our "northern friends", but I know alot of little old ladies who can bake with their eyes closed who buy those things instead of messing up their kitchen and they really are good. They are made in Mobile, Alabama (right across the highway from where the Mobile Bears play in their swell little ballpark, if you were dying to know) and they use real ingredients. I highly reccomend them. They have some that are flavored with orange juice (trust me) that are out of this world. Just add rare roast beef and a little pepper jelly and you are dining on some fine victuals.
    Lucky Bishop
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/18 23:09:56 (permalink)
    Lone Star...I'm just always surprised that people consider biscuits time-consuming enough that the canned biscuits are worth it. I did some biscuits and gravy last night as a result of this very thread, and the biscuits couldn't have taken five minutes from putting the flour in the bowl to putting the pan in the oven.
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/18 23:15:09 (permalink)
    I do the bacon grease and sausage dealie.scrape put the meat and make a roux...thin the roux with a little coffee....add half and half and lots of pepper and some more salt.....dump the meat back in.......mmmmmmmmmmm
    and always homemade biscuits
    preferably raised
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/19 00:22:03 (permalink)
    Some of us never had a momma or a grandma that made biscuits so we never learned. And although I love to cook I'm not much of a fan of baking. Cake mixes and brownies mixes are about my forte when it comes to baking. I actually like the Pillsbury Grand's biscuits anyways.

BTW, I use bacon because I find that most of the time the sausage doesn't generate enough grease.

MikeS.
    Rick F.
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/19 00:48:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

I did some biscuits and gravy last night as a result of this very thread, and the biscuits couldn't have taken five minutes from putting the flour in the bowl to putting the pan in the oven.
    Recipe, s'il vous plait?
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/19 08:03:21 (permalink)
    quote:

I can understand using Pioneer country gravy mix as a basis for sausage gravy, because it's both perfect for it and a staple of diners throughout the lower half of the country.

But seriously, you guys. Tinned biscuits for biscuits and gravy? That's like making fudge with Nesquik.

Like MikeSh, my hubby uses Pillsbury Grands. Usually the corn, but sometimes buttermilk. As Lone Star says, it's the gravy that's important, and as long as the biscuits come hot out of the oven, I don't mind who's responsible for the dough. Besides, they're pretty darned good! Five minutes, though? Yeah, recipe??

See, hubby does all the cooking. (I know, I'm the luckiest woman on the planet.) But I bake. I regularly make quickbreads and scones. So I'd love a biscuits recipe. That way, I can contribute in a manner more sophisticated than twisting a cardboard can. ::rolls eyes::

quote:
    Originally posted by Wistah

Whatever you do....DON'T go to Cracker Barrel for biscuits and gravy -

Oh, I did that once. "Ptaaaah", as hubby would say. v. dissapointing indeed.

P.S., MikeSh, my hubby does the same thing. (Making bacon as well and using that grease, too.) Keeps it warm in the oven till folks are ready to eat. I like my bacon all floppy; he likes it crispy. On occasion, he'll mix bacon back into the gravy. But I'm not a big fan of this, so he quit doing it.
    Lucky Bishop
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/20 01:07:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Some of us never had a momma or a grandma that made biscuits so we never learned.

And some of us never had a momma or a grandma that made biscuits, either, so we taught ourselves!

Biscuit recipe: Preheat oven to 475. Sift together 2 cups flour (I usually use one cup of AP and one cup of cake flour), 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt. Cut in 3 tablespoons of cold butter AND 3 tablespoons of vegetable shortening until fat is incorporated and mixture looks like cornmeal. (I use a double-bladed pastry blender that's about 100 years old for this, but before I got that, I just used my hand mixer, which is even speedier.) Add 1 3/4 cups milk and stir just until dough comes together. Pat out dough to about 1/2-inch thickness (you don't need a rolling pin for this, just use your hands with a little flour on them), then use a sharp knife to cut the dough into six or eight pieces. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.

You can go ahead and use biscuit cutters to make round biscuits if you want (don't use a glass or a tuna can, though, because they don't give a sharp cut and your biscuits won't rise), but if I'm just going to split them and dump gravy on them, I don't see why they need to look pretty.

My wife has a recipe for cream biscuits -- the only fat is in the heavy cream that's used in place of milk -- that's even speedier, but I don't know the proportions of that one. This recipe, however, is foolproof, and it seriously doesn't take five minutes to do.
    Lone Star
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/20 10:09:07 (permalink)
    quote:

Lone Star...I'm just always surprised that people consider biscuits time-consuming enough that the canned biscuits are worth it. I did some biscuits and gravy last night as a result of this very thread, and the biscuits couldn't have taken five minutes from putting the flour in the bowl to putting the pan in the oven.

Well, you must not make as big a mess as I do.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/20 20:43:38 (permalink)
    Once again, Mayhaw, you are right. "Sister Schubert's" products - all of them - are so good as not to be believed; they put many a Southern cook, including me, to shame when it comes to roll making. I like all the "Sister Schubert'" varieties, but believe I like the plain old rolls best of all. I was not aware, tho, they were made in Mobile; and that part of town in which you say they are made is right in my old stomping grounds. Weren't they originated by some lady in one of the small towns south of Montgomery (seems like maybe Luverne or Brantley). Friends in Opp have told me about "Sister Schubert's" local start, and a young lady married to son of cousins here in Marvell was with commercial development department of one of the big Alabama banks and tells a most interesting tale of the original financing/big scale commercial development of "Sister Schubert's". If you've not tried "Sister Schubert's" products and they are available in your area, take Mayhaw's advice and give them a try. And those frozen biscuits Mayhaw describes are good too, particularly given that from scratch biscuit making is rapidly becoming a lost art in these parts.
    kdiammond
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/20 21:17:18 (permalink)
    Well -- it may not be traditional, but cornmeal mush (polenta for you flossier folk) left over night in a pan turned out and cut into slices and fried hard in the sausage dripping is great with a very peppery sausage gravy. I prefer a homemade sausage from my local farmer market (been seeing Mrs. Smith for over 30 years now -- she is in her 80's) which is cold smoked. Over the mush cakes and with greens on the side -- powerfully good eating.
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/21 09:04:11 (permalink)
    I just read and posted in the "bisquits, sans gravy" thread, so, I thought I'd put my 2-cents worth on the gravy front.

I use cheap greasy sausage and fry it up to get a load of grease toi work with, but I also use a lean country breakfast sausage and fry that up to crumble into the gravy and have a few slices on the side to have with the meal.
    Work flour into the grease while still on the stove and under some heat. A little at a time stirring a lot, add hot water a little at a time.
    The woman who taught me from Valdosta Georgia says to use canned evaporated milk and stir slowly into this grease, flour and water mixture, all while still under some heat on the stove.
    Stir until desired thickness, spice to taste and add crumbs of "the good" sausage. I use some rubbed sage, white and black pepper and a little salt.
    Man o' Man, served with some eggs and sausage patties over home made bisquits makes my arteries shudder. But as Andy of Mayberry once said, "Aunt Bea, this is Gooooooooooooood!"
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/26 01:04:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wistah

P.S., MikeSh, my hubby does the same thing. (Making bacon as well and using that grease, too.) Keeps it warm in the oven till folks are ready to eat. I like my bacon all floppy; he likes it crispy.

I like my bacon pretty floppy and my wife wants hers crisp. Just opposites here. I too do 99% of the cooking. My mom was a great cook and taught me well. Although she didn't do homemade biscuits. Thats why Pillsbury does mine :)

MikeS.
    tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/26 09:16:45 (permalink)
    When people talk about comfort food, this is where it's at: biscuits and gravy. My grandmother made great biscuits from scratch - no recipe, no measuring, mixed them up with her hands on the counter top. My grandfather fried the sausage and made the gravy. They both knew that was what I wanted for breakfast whenever I visited them and they didn't disapoint me!

As a Southerner, I have learned to make some pretty good biscuits from scratch. But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised when I tried the White Lily biscuit mix this past week. Those biscuits were really good - just the mix and buttermilk (you can use regular milk or water), one bowl, one fork to mix. I made them large and put some local country ham in between them. Ohhhhh.....I'd forgotten how good a country ham biscuit can taste. White Lily is in Tennessee, if I'm not mistaken. Try their products if you get a chance. I always buy their self-rising flour and want to try their cornmeal as I have heard it is excellent also. [no affiliation, just a consumer!]
    Rick F.
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/26 09:46:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tcrouzer White Lily biscuit mix
    WL's office is in Knoxville, but they're apparently owned by a Texas company now. Here's what they say makes the difference, quoted from their web site:
    "White Lily is made today just as it was over 100 years ago, using only pure, soft winter wheat. Then, in production, White Lily receives extra grinding, sifting and purifying. These additional milling steps produce a flour that is known to be finer, lighter and superior for baking."

And "Amen!" to the "Southern comfort food." Our grandmothers may have been sisters.
    Lone Star
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/10/27 10:08:18 (permalink)
    Sunday morning we made sausage gravy and biscuits for brunch. I use Jimmy Dean, one roll of regular, one roll of hot, and evaporated milk.

One of my sons buddies who had slept over had never had biscuits and gravy before! He ate 2 plate fulls.

MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/11/07 01:41:15 (permalink)
    I just tried some of the Pillsbury frozen biscuits, very good IMHO.

MikeS.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Biscuits and Gravy 2003/11/07 12:13:04 (permalink)
    For years, my way to judge a place's food overall has been to go there for biscuits and gravy. My favorite is at the Saugus Cafe----light biscuits with plenty of sausage in the gravy. I've never tried them at home--------to me it'sa good excuse to go out for breakfast. I've also had some good ones at Joe's in Redondo Beach. And it stands to reason (for me at least)-----if they make good biscuits and gravy then they'll usually have a good chicken fried steak.
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1