Biscuits and gravy

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2007/09/18 17:47:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mland520

In the time it takes to open a can and reheat the contents- you can be well on your way to making homemade sausage gravy- why would you want to use a canned product? I have been known to use the prepackaged Pioneer Mix for milk or pepper gravy, and then add to sausage drippings for a really good sausage gravy-
If you are using canned gravy what are you using for your bisquits?

The main reason I used canned gravy is that I do not always have sausage or bacon in the frige to fry to make gravy.

I think most who reside by themselves understand that. My frige inventory is not always complete.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
drummagick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2007/09/19 21:34:24 (permalink)
A tube of Jimmy Dean regular sausage. I think they've changed the recipe over the years, because it used to be spicier and cook out more grease for the roux. If I don't make gravy with the sausage grease, I use McCormicks Country Gravy mix (NOT the sausage flavor) and add a big pinch of chicken boullion crystals or chicken base, a pinch each of sage and thyme and a few shots of Tabasco, then add in the cooked JD sausage. That gravy mix doctored up a little is still better than 95% of sausage gravy I've had in restaurants.

Got to have good biscuits. If I don't have time to make them I'll use those frozen Southern Style biscuits, I think they're by Pillsbury, but under no circumstances will I ever use 'tube' biscuits. I'd serve the gravy on toast first :-)
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18940
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2007/09/19 22:04:56 (permalink)
Those Pillsbury biscuits that are in the bags are terrific. I love both the Southern style and the buttermilk ones.
drummagick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2007/09/19 22:57:47 (permalink)
They are great. Even though it says to bake them on an ungreased cookie sheet, I like to spray the pan with Pam because then the bottoms get just slightly greasy and very crisp. Yum. Then I have a biscuit with gravy for the meal and another biscuit with butter and strawberry jam for dessert :)
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2009
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/03/12 08:28:20 (permalink)
I sure wish I could replicate Bojangle's gravy at home.  They probably use a mix, but it's as good as most homemade gravy I've had.
doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/03/12 08:42:42 (permalink)

Is it too soon to comment that we have too many competing biscuit and gravy threads...?

mark
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6361
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/03/12 19:47:48 (permalink)
Only if a bunch of guys start opening biscuit and gravy carts, and such! ....Hell, whatever goes!!!!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3756
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/03/12 21:43:40 (permalink)
leethebard

Only if a bunch of guys start opening biscuit and gravy carts, and such! ....Hell, whatever goes!!!!

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8695
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/03/13 11:03:45 (permalink)
LOL, Lee!!!!!
speechpeach
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/03/14 11:14:54 (permalink)
 I found a canned gravy at Kroger a few years ago that was actually good, do not remember the name of it and they do not have it anymore.  I use a packaged mix and add chicken broth or granules and use some milk instead of all water and it turns out good.  I cook it in the same pan that I used for cooking the crumbled sausage minus most of the sausage grease (thinking turnip greens or rutabagas or fried potatoes using the rest of the grease), and it turns out tasty with the addition of some freshly ground black pepper and a hot biscuit. 
BBurge
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/03/15 10:40:15 (permalink)
Thank you all for making me go to the store.  needed milk anyway but after i saw this thread when i woke up i knew what breakfast would be and it was OH SO GOOD.  :)
MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 2009
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/03/15 12:08:27 (permalink)
Sundancer7

[id=quote font="arial, helvetica"]quote: Originally posted by mland520

In the time it takes to open a can and reheat the contents- you can be well on your way to making homemade sausage gravy- why would you want to use a canned product? I have been known to use the prepackaged Pioneer Mix for milk or pepper gravy, and then add to sausage drippings for a really good sausage gravy-
If you are using canned gravy what are you using for your bisquits?

The main reason I used canned gravy is that I do not always have sausage or bacon in the frige to fry to make gravy.

I think most who reside by themselves understand that. My frige inventory is not always complete.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I can relate.  I've told Stouffer's many times that if they introduce sausage gravy that's as good as their creamed chipped beef, they'll have one fantastically successful product.  I'd buy it by the case.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/03/15 15:21:19 (permalink)
If you see the Mayberry's Finest brand of canned sausage gravy in your local supermarket ( with Andy, Opie and Aunt Bee on the label ) do NOT buy it. It is AWFUL; the worst I've ever tasted. Their canned chili and chicken n' dumplings are pretty decent, but that gravy.... yecchh.  
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/03/15 15:44:38 (permalink)
Actually, I fry up Jones sausage-make a white sauce usiinging grease an white sauce-lots of pepper.Never had a complaint from my N,C, cousins
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5120
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/03/15 16:10:25 (permalink)
Way back in 1963 when we first came to Dallas, we would always eat breakfast in the Dallas Trade Mart's cafeteria where we had our showroom. Of course, being in Dallas, there was always biscuits and gravy on the steam table. Coming from NYC, we just couldn't understand how anyone could eat this stuff. Well, It took me about 2 years to get up enough nerve to try it. But once I did, there was no stopping me. Now of course, I can't imagine breakfast without biscuits and gravy.
canopyclubcafe
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/05/23 00:13:38 (permalink)
When I was just a boy, my dad would make the
gravy while mom fixed the bisquits and everything
else for breakfast.

Good homemade gravy is more art than science,
and after almost 50 years of making sausage
gravy, I still muck it up sometimes.

Here in the South, Pioneer brand gravy mix is about
as good as you'll find at any restaraunt, and a
heck of a lot easier than making it from scratch.

I prefer the peppered.

Just fry up some sausage, then make up the gravy,
crumble in the sausage, and spoon over bisquits.

I can make good bisquits, but we find that Mary B's brand
buttermilk frozen bisquits are as good as homemade
especially if you brush the tops with melted butter
or margarine as soon as they come out of the oven.

Served up with a couple of scrambled eggs...make your
tongue slap your brains out!

Michael Worthington

PS. MellowRoast - I grew up and lived in your neck of the
woods for 31 years before I moved to MS...in Pikeville, TN.

I used to play music at the old Stagecoach Inn and
the VFW on Lee Highway.

The Governor's Lounge on Brainerd Road had a great
breakfast as well, although they're probably gone
by now.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10407
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/05/23 00:38:33 (permalink)
canopyclubcafe

When I was just a boy, my dad would make the
gravy while mom fixed the biscuits and everything
else for breakfast.

Good homemade gravy is more art than science,
and after almost 50 years of making sausage
gravy, I still muck it up sometimes.

Here in the South, Pioneer brand gravy mix is about
as good as you'll find at any restaurant, and a
heck of a lot easier than making it from scratch.

I prefer the peppered.

Just fry up some sausage, then make up the gravy,
crumble in the sausage, and spoon over biscuits.

I can make good biscuits, but we find that Mary B's brand
buttermilk frozen biscuits are as good as homemade
especially if you brush the tops with melted butter
or margarine as soon as they come out of the oven.

Served up with a couple of scrambled eggs...make your
tongue slap your brains out!

Michael Worthington

PS. MellowRoast - I grew up and lived in your neck of the
woods for 31 years before I moved to MS...in Pikeville, TN.

I used to play music at the old Stagecoach Inn and
the VFW on Lee Highway.

The Governor's Lounge on Brainerd Road had a great
breakfast as well, although they're probably gone
by now.

CCC,
I am a very large fan of Pioneer's Products. I agree, their gravy mix is top notch. Sometimes, I add a little cooked sausage to it. Their Biscuit Mix in the oblong containers can't be beat. It makes good Pancakes and Waffles too. For all you Non-Southerners, here's the web site where you can order these products.
http://www.chguenther.com/
Upon your first order, we'll anoint you a Provisional Southerner/Southwesterner for a limited period of time to be decided by the frequency of your posts praising Pioneer Sausage/Pepper Gravy Mix and their Biscuit Mix. And no, I don't have any affiliation with the company. I just think their products are first class.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5120
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/05/23 01:19:08 (permalink)
In Dallas, biscuits and (sausage) gravy are as common as lox and bagels are in NYC. Mama, Daughter's Diner and, The Mecca do the best job, I think. Neither however, are chains.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/05/24 02:17:10 (permalink)
I've been eating Sausage Gravy & Biscuits for over 35 years, starting with my first trip to Atlanta GA. Since then I have sought them out all over the country and have become a pretty good S & B Chef in my own right. However, I recently had the best ever at a little home cookin' place in Mesa AZ - The Restaurant At Sunland Village Golf Course, 721 S. Rochester St., Mesa, AZ, 85206. The place is run by a couple of older ladies who flat out know how to cook. Everything is made from scratch. The Sausage Gravy is about 70% sausage and 30% gravy. I've never seen so much sausage in the gravy anywhere. I guess they needed to put that much Sausage in there to keep the light, fluffy biscuits from floating away.

This place is nestled in a little retirement community that's West of Higley Rd and North of Southern Blvd in Mesa, AZ. I think the Golf Course was built when we still used wooden shaft clubs! I'm 68 years old and I think I was the youngest person there that morning! All the codgers were spry and alert, talking golf and having a good time. P.S. The pies are awesome too! Made from scratch, flaky crusts, beautiful works of art.  
post edited by Foodbme - 2009/05/24 02:24:37
brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
Re:Biscuits and gravy 2009/05/24 03:01:43 (permalink)
I did a search and there appears to be no posts for Tee Jayes Country Place.  They are a central Ohio Bob Evans, BugBoy clone open 24 hours.  They make a huge deal out of their gravy.  Im sure in the corporate world it now comes in a mix, but its quite edible.  They love to give you a soup bowl(not cup) along with your order if you ask!  The one trick is to make sure the spoon is out of it before it cools, Weel you get my drift, LOL.
All in all not a bad little place and I have done the bar crawl there more times than I care to remember.
britt
jman
  • Total Posts : 1366
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/05/24 06:43:07 (permalink)
annpeeples

Actually, I fry up Jones sausage-make a white sauce usiinging grease an white sauce-lots of pepper.Never had a complaint from my N,C, cousins

Leave it to a Yankee to use the term white sauce when talking about making biscuits & gravy.:)
post edited by jman - 2009/05/24 07:54:15
SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/05/24 23:33:01 (permalink)
I make milk gravy by doing the following:

I use the grease from frying sausage and I add 2 heaping tablesoons of flour. I take a fork and mash the flour into the grease until it is smooth and begins to brown. Iadd salt and pepper to my taste, and add milk (remember you can always add more so pour slowly) and take a wisk and wisk until thickened.

This method always turn out for me and make great tasting gravy.
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/05/25 00:39:05 (permalink)
I start with white sauce, and then  finish off with a good gravy....sorry for the  obvious faux pax...
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/05/25 01:14:39 (permalink)
annpeeples

I start with white sauce, and then  finish off with a good gravy....sorry for the  obvious faux pax...

HUH???????? I don't understand!!! I understand the white sauce part, but where does the "Good Gravy" come from and how does that fit into the equation??? What consititutes "Good Gravy"??? Please explain the steps you take in sequence and what all is involved in making this happen.
post edited by Foodbme - 2009/05/25 01:23:01
Bigfoot
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/08/11 09:09:30 (permalink)
I use Jimmy Dean sage sausage and add more sage and a bit of fennel.  Lots of ground pepper.  At the end of the preparation, when the gravy is thickening, add several tablespoons of butter and stir into the gravy: it makes it richer and more flavorful.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/08/11 09:43:36 (permalink)
Foodbme

I've been eating Sausage Gravy & Biscuits for over 35 years, starting with my first trip to Atlanta GA. Since then I have sought them out all over the country and have become a pretty good S & B Chef in my own right. However, I recently had the best ever at a little home cookin' place in Mesa AZ - The Restaurant At Sunland Village Golf Course, 721 S. Rochester St., Mesa, AZ, 85206. The place is run by a couple of older ladies who flat out know how to cook. Everything is made from scratch. The Sausage Gravy is about 70% sausage and 30% gravy. I've never seen so much sausage in the gravy anywhere. I guess they needed to put that much Sausage in there to keep the light, fluffy biscuits from floating away.

This place is nestled in a little retirement community that's West of Higley Rd and North of Southern Blvd in Mesa, AZ. I think the Golf Course was built when we still used wooden shaft clubs! I'm 68 years old and I think I was the youngest person there that morning! All the codgers were spry and alert, talking golf and having a good time. P.S. The pies are awesome too! Made from scratch, flaky crusts, beautiful works of art.  

When I lived in Saragossa, Alabama during the 1970's I came to appreciate very much biscuits and gravy and barbeque and fried okra most of all.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/08/11 12:57:29 (permalink)
Bigfoot

I use Jimmy Dean sage sausage and add more sage and a bit of fennel.  Lots of ground pepper.  At the end of the preparation, when the gravy is thickening, add several tablespoons of butter and stir into the gravy: it makes it richer and more flavorful.

I like that Butter Tip---THANX!

P.S. I just polished off a Bowl of "Speckled Heart Stone Ground Grits" with lotsa Butter, S&P. I Order those Grits from Calloway Gardens in GA.
Bigfoot
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/08/11 13:04:17 (permalink)
Foodbme

Bigfoot

I like that Butter Tip---THANX!

P.S. I just polished off a Bowl of "Speckled Heart Stone Ground Grits" with lotsa Butter, S&P. I Order those Grits from Calloway Gardens in GA.

I subscribe to the Julia Child school of thinking:  there's no such thing as "too much butter".

badbyron722
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 307
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/08/12 22:34:45 (permalink)
My favorite is my wifes. She is what I call the "Gravy Queen".
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Biscuits and gravy 2009/08/12 22:47:54 (permalink)
badbyron722

My favorite is my wifes. She is what I call the "Gravy Queen".

OK---THAT's GREAT!----- So, let's see "The Gravy Queen's Recipe" so the rest of us can fall in love----errrr- "like" with her too!
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1