Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Biscuits and gravy

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 74
leethebard

• Total Posts: 6070
Biscuits and gravy Mon, 09/3/07 3:52 PM (permalink)
Hey,
As I've said in other forums, we like Cracker Barrel and Waffle house when we travel with the kids. I LOVE Biscuits & gravy...but Cracker Barrel's is too sweet and has no sausage. Waffle House doesn't have it. Is there a good chain that has a good Gravy? Anyone have a Great Recipe for me to try at home

Frankman

• Total Posts: 300
    RE: Biscuits and gravy Tue, 09/4/07 2:30 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

Hey,
    As I've said in other forums, we like Cracker Barrel and Waffle house when we travel with the kids. I LOVE Biscuits & gravy...but Cracker Barrel's is too sweet and has no sausage. Waffle House doesn't have it. Is there a good chain that has a good Gravy? Anyone have a Great Recipe for me to try at home

I always liked Bob Evans b&g. Tell the waitress you want it chunky. Most will oblige.
    At home I make mine with Italian sausage. Hot or mild it doesn't matter. Remove the casings, brown the meat. I use enough heat so there is very little grease left. Sprinkle with flour. Add milk. Simple is better with gravy. When you brown the meat you can make the chunks big or small.

divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
      RE: Biscuits and gravy Tue, 09/4/07 2:42 PM (permalink)
      Same recipe but with pork sausage, usually jimmy dean from tube. Use sausage grease to make rue (rough??) in same pan then mix together and add milk. I can't spell. I barely read.

dbrandon

• Total Posts: 70
        RE: Biscuits and gravy Tue, 09/4/07 2:54 PM (permalink)
        Roux.

GB944

• Total Posts: 191
          RE: Biscuits and gravy Tue, 09/4/07 4:19 PM (permalink)
          1) Make great biscuits.
          2) Make great gravy.
          3) Combine
          4) Enjoy!

divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
            RE: Biscuits and gravy Tue, 09/4/07 4:40 PM (permalink)
            I thank you. Now I can make and spell it.

LuckyLabrador

• Total Posts: 583
              RE: Biscuits and gravy Wed, 09/5/07 5:35 PM (permalink)
              Sage sausage, flour, a pinch of granulated beef bouillon, half and half, pepper. Make some Bisquick cheese biscuits, apply liberally, oh yeah, after cooking !

Niagara

• Total Posts: 983
                RE: Biscuits and gravy Wed, 09/5/07 5:44 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Frankman

quote:

Hey,

I always liked Bob Evans b&g. Tell the waitress you want it chunky. Most will oblige.
                At home I make mine with Italian sausage. Hot or mild it doesn't matter. Remove the casings, brown the meat. I use enough heat so there is very little grease left. Sprinkle with flour. Add milk. Simple is better with gravy. When you brown the meat you can make the chunks big or small.

I tried Bob Evans' B&G for breakfast a couple of months ago, and I thought it was unbelievably nasty. The gravy tasted like they had put maple extract or something equally vile in it - funkiest B&G I ever ate. I just ate the biscuits.

Niagara

• Total Posts: 983
                  RE: Biscuits and gravy Wed, 09/5/07 5:48 PM (permalink)
                  quote:

Hey,

Fry up your favorite bulk sausage - drain off all but a couple of tablespoons of the oil - add several tablespoons of flour to make a roux with the sausage and grease add a teaspoon of poultry seasoning, then add in milk and let thicken - add some Wondra mixed with a little milk if you need it thicker. Add black pepper and serve over homemade biscuite.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
                    RE: Biscuits and gravy Wed, 09/5/07 6:25 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Niagara

quote:
                    Originally posted by Frankman

quote:

Hey,

I tried Bob Evans' B&G for breakfast a couple of months ago, and I thought it was unbelievably nasty. The gravy tasted like they had put maple extract or something equally vile in it - funkiest B&G I ever ate. I just ate the biscuits.

Weird! I was a guest for breakfast at a fellow roadfooder's and he used the Bob Evans gravy and added sausage to it and it was just wonderful.

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
                      RE: Biscuits and gravy Wed, 09/5/07 7:50 PM (permalink)

Going back to this post is like visiting an old friend...

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17439

Biscuits and Gravy done just the way I like em!

DD

cecif

• Total Posts: 1412
                        RE: Biscuits and gravy Wed, 09/5/07 8:15 PM (permalink)
                        Lee
                        I haven't been to one in quite some time, but I seem to remember Shoney's (midwest/south??) breakfast bar had very good B&G with sausage bits.

I had a HUGE yummy order at a cafe in Front Royal, VA last summer... but that's not a chain or easily accessible.
                        Cheers!

Ciaoman

• Total Posts: 375
                          RE: Biscuits and gravy Wed, 09/5/07 8:46 PM (permalink)
                          If persons on this thread can recommend a chain restaurant for B & G, I don't feel badly at all about recommending a canned product...Libby's Country Sausage Gravy. Available at Wal-Mart. Lot's of chunky sausage, nice sage flavor, no flour taste. Put in a bowl, zap for a couple of minutes in the microwave, pour over biscuits, enjoy. Better than a lot of gravy I've had in so-called authentic joints. Try it before you snicker.

Sundancer7

RE: Biscuits and gravy Fri, 09/7/07 1:46 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Ciaoman

If persons on this thread can recommend a chain restaurant for B & G, I don't feel badly at all about recommending a canned product...Libby's Country Sausage Gravy. Available at Wal-Mart. Lot's of chunky sausage, nice sage flavor, no flour taste. Put in a bowl, zap for a couple of minutes in the microwave, pour over biscuits, enjoy. Better than a lot of gravy I've had in so-called authentic joints. Try it before you snicker.

I agree. I have about a half dozen cans of Libby's sausage gravy in my pantry now. Always good over some hot biscuits.

Paul E. Smith
                            Knoxville, TN

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                              RE: Biscuits and gravy Sat, 09/8/07 2:56 PM (permalink)
                              I am more than willing to try the Libbys-thanks for the tip!!

NonnieD

• Total Posts: 46
                                RE: Biscuits and gravy Sat, 09/8/07 3:11 PM (permalink)
                                GOOD MORNING,
                                MARIE CALLANDERS HAS A PRETTY GOOD BREAKFAST.
                                BUT FOR FAST FIX ON B&G,
                                WE JUST HAD THIS MORNING, I DIDN'T FEEL WELL THIS MORNING
                                SO I USED DURKEE COUNTRY GRAVY MIX AND WAS SURPRISED IT WAS PRETTY GOOD, I USALLY HATE PACKAGE GRAVY, ANYWAY WE HAD STAK AND MUSHROOM LAST NIGHT SO I TOSSED THAT IN THERE ALSO HAD IT OVER BISQUITS.
                                TO MAKE HOME FRY YOUR SAUSAGE JUST STRAIGHT FLAVOR NO MAPLE OR HONEY, JUST PLAIN SAGE SAUSAGE, BROWN SOME FLOUR IN THE GREASE ABOUT 5-6 TABLESPOONS AND PEPPER WAIT TO ADD SALT (I DO) THEN ABOUT THREE CUPS MILK OR CANNED CREAM COOK TILL THICK. i DON'T MEASURE WHEN I COOK, SO THIS MAY TAKE A LIL MORE A LIL LESS.
                                PS I NOT SHOUTING, BUT CAPS BUTTON IS STUCK ON THIS LAPTOP;
                                AND SO THUS ALL IS WROTE IN CAPS. I LOVE THIS WEBSITE, FOR IDEAS ON WHAT TO COOK, SO THANKS TO ALL YOU WHO PUT UP PICS.ALL ALL THE NEAT PLACES I WOULD LOVE TO VISIT.

NonnieD

• Total Posts: 46
                                  RE: Biscuits and gravy Sat, 09/8/07 3:14 PM (permalink)
                                  PS
                                  THAT IS FIVE OR SIX TABLESPOONS OF FLOUR SORRY ABOUT THAT.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1928
                                    RE: Biscuits and gravy Tue, 09/11/07 8:52 AM (permalink)
                                    In my opinion Bojangles has excellent biscuits & gravy for a chain. And I'm Mr. Picky! The biscuits are made fresh all day and I prefer them over Hardee's. Bojangles' gravy leaves Hardee's gravy in the dust, also.

I agree with you, Leethebard, regarding Cracker Barrel gravy. Also, it's too thick to pour and sticks to the bowl or your spoon. They might as well serve gravy-flavored Jello.

johnreed

• Total Posts: 58
                                      RE: Biscuits and gravy Tue, 09/11/07 9:00 AM (permalink)
                                      I'm surprised at the accolades for Libby's canned sausage gravy. While I avoid canned foods like the plague, I'll look for it and give it a shot.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9527
                                        RE: Biscuits and gravy Sun, 09/16/07 3:57 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by johnreed

I'm surprised at the accolades for Libby's canned sausage gravy. While I avoid canned foods like the plague, I'll look for it and give it a shot.

I had my first can of Libby's the other day. Not Bad! Better than some I've had in most restaurants but nothing beats home-made.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17804
                                          RE: Biscuits and gravy Sun, 09/16/07 8:36 AM (permalink)
                                          Yesterday, at an otherwise estimable Roadfood type place called the Grill & Skillet in Bexley, Ohio, I had what was definitely the worst sausage gravy and biscuits I've ever eaten. I have been going to this restaurant off and on for some 12 years, and the breakfasts have always been terrific.

On this day, for some reason, I decided to try one of the few thinga on the breakfast menu I'd not had before -- the sausage gravy and biscuits, with hash browns. Never have I ever seen such thin sausage gravy. As to the sausage, itself, all I could see were little dark flecks throughout the gruel-like concoction. I never did taste any sausage, nor was I able to even feel any on my tongue.

The so-called sausage gravy aside, and I ended up putting it aside while I ate the very good hash browns, this stuff was served over one and one half biscuits of dubious origin and Wonder Bread-like texture. In fact, it was served over about half of the one and one half biscuits.

This place has excellent omlets. My two favorites are the Western and the Mexican, the former being your standard Western (Denver to those west of the Mississippi), the latter containing cheese, onions, jalapenos and spicy sausage, topped with a very nice salsa. The Grill & Skillet also has quite good corned beef hash and eggs, and a pretty passable, midwestern-quality chicken fried steak with eggs. Hash browns come with all the breakfast dishes.

Today, I shall return to my Waffle House to get the memory of yesterday's breakfast out of my mind. To that end I shall likely have about four eggs scrambled with cheese, and hash browns scattered, smothered, peppered and topped.

And then almost all will be right with the world once again -- especially after yesterday's 33-14 Ohio State victory over Washington. The only thing lacking on such a fine day will be the Giants game against Green Bay being shown here on television. Instead, I shall be stuck with the Bungles of Cincinnati and the Bunglers of Cleveland. I find that circumstance so disheartening that I shall likely spend the afternoon picking up fallen branches and mowing the yard.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
                                            RE: Biscuits and gravy Sun, 09/16/07 10:47 AM (permalink)
                                            Go Cincy!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9527
                                              RE: Biscuits and gravy Sun, 09/16/07 12:19 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Yesterday, at an otherwise estimable Roadfood type place called the Grill & Skillet in Bexley, Ohio, I had what was definitely the worst sausage gravy and biscuits I've ever eaten. I have been going to this restaurant off and on for some 12 years, and the breakfasts have always been terrific.

On this day, for some reason, I decided to try one of the few thinga on the breakfast menu I'd not had before -- the sausage gravy and biscuits, with hash browns. Never have I ever seen such thin sausage gravy. As to the sausage, itself, all I could see were little dark flecks throughout the gruel-like concoction. I never did taste any sausage, nor was I able to even feel any on my tongue.

The so-called sausage gravy aside, and I ended up putting it aside while I ate the very good hash browns, this stuff was served over one and one half biscuits of dubious origin and Wonder Bread-like texture. In fact, it was served over about half of the one and one half biscuits.

This place has excellent omlets. My two favorites are the Western and the Mexican, the former being your standard Western (Denver to those west of the Mississippi), the latter containing cheese, onions, jalapenos and spicy sausage, topped with a very nice salsa. The Grill & Skillet also has quite good corned beef hash and eggs, and a pretty passable, midwestern-quality chicken fried steak with eggs. Hash browns come with all the breakfast dishes.

Today, I shall return to my Waffle House to get the memory of yesterday's breakfast out of my mind. To that end I shall likely have about four eggs scrambled with cheese, and hash browns scattered, smothered, peppered and topped.

And then almost all will be right with the world once again -- especially after yesterday's 33-14 Ohio State victory over Washington. The only thing lacking on such a fine day will be the Giants game against Green Bay being shown here on television. Instead, I shall be stuck with the Bungles of Cincinnati and the Bunglers of Cleveland. I find that circumstance so disheartening that I shall likely spend the afternoon picking up fallen branches and mowing the yard.

MH,
                                              You got me thinkin'---- I'll bet some Cincinnati Chili, sans pasta, on a Cheese Omlet would taste pretty good. Wadda ya think

Michael Hoffman

RE: Biscuits and gravy Sun, 09/16/07 4:18 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:

MH,
                                                You got me thinkin'---- I'll bet some Cincinnati Chili, sans pasta, on a Cheese Omlet would taste pretty good. Wadda ya think

Well, if instead of an omlet you began with a base of a fried corn tortilla topped with some some black beans, then another corn tortilla with a ladle of chili over that, all topped with a pair of sunnyside-up eggs and some salsa ...

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                                                  • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                                                  RE: Biscuits and gravy Sun, 09/16/07 4:48 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:

quote:

quote:

MH,

Well, if instead of an omlet you began with a base of a fried corn tortilla topped with some some black beans, then another corn tortilla with a ladle of chili over that, all topped with a pair of sunnyside-up eggs and some salsa ...

Michael Hoffman

RE: Biscuits and gravy Sun, 09/16/07 5:09 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

quote:

quote:

MH,

Oh, I am so surprised.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                                                      • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                                                      RE: Biscuits and gravy Sun, 09/16/07 5:16 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

MH,

Oh, I am so surprised.

The basic concept actually sounds appetizing. If only Greek spaghetti sauce wasn't substituted for the chili. pb

Michael Hoffman

RE: Biscuits and gravy Sun, 09/16/07 5:20 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

MH,

Oh, I am so surprised.

The basic concept actually sounds appetizing. If only Greek spaghetti sauce wasn't substituted for the chili. pb

Oh, I wouldn't use Cincinnati-style chili. I meant real chili. Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

johnreed

• Total Posts: 58
                                                          • Location: Nashville, TN
                                                          RE: Biscuits and gravy Tue, 09/18/07 7:22 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:

quote:
                                                          Originally posted by johnreed

I had my first can of Libby's the other day. Not Bad! Better than some I've had in most restaurants but nothing beats home-made.

I picked up a can of Libby's Country Sausage Gravy and I'll try it this weekend. It may be just what I'm looking for when I don't have time to cook from scratch.

mland520

• Total Posts: 485
                                                            • Location: Dallas, TX
                                                            RE: Biscuits and gravy Tue, 09/18/07 9:04 AM (permalink)
                                                            In the time it takes to open a can and reheat the contents- you can be well on your way to making homemade sausage gravy- why would you want to use a canned product? I have been known to use the prepackaged Pioneer Mix for milk or pepper gravy, and then add to sausage drippings for a really good sausage gravy-
                                                            If you are using canned gravy what are you using for your bisquits?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 74

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com