Biscuits and gravy

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 216
2013/06/14 07:30:58 (permalink)

Biscuits and gravy

Another thing that I've been desperate to find good examples of since moving to New England: biscuits and gravy.

I took them for granted in the Midwest. And not to pound on NE too much, but the Travelodge in Des Moines served up better B&G than I've found at any diner here. 

Mitchell's on Main in Cromwell, CT was one of the first I tried.  They used a quality sausage - NE is great for all kinds of sausage - but the gravy itself was quite thin and rather tasteless.  I had to add rather a lot of salt and pepper.

The Cromwell Diner also has B&G - I didn't get a pic of that, but they use the same gravy on their chicken-fried steak. More flavorful than Mitchell's, but too thick, and sort of generically salty. Plus it wasn't the best color. Not that B&G is a dish noted for its beauty, but...

67 Replies Related Threads

brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1109
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/14 09:19:22 (permalink)
    Oh great, just scarfed down an egg mcmuffin and you show me this.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5077
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/14 10:42:10 (permalink)
    That's too bad about Mitchell's, because at first sight it looks like the gravy would have a lot of flavor!
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/14 12:12:39 (permalink)
    Ketteract

Another thing that I've been desperate to find good examples of since moving to New England: biscuits and gravy.

I took them for granted in the Midwest. And not to pound on NE too much, but the Travelodge in Des Moines served up better B&G than I've found at any diner here. 

Mitchell's on Main in Cromwell, CT was one of the first I tried.  They used a quality sausage - NE is great for all kinds of sausage - but the gravy itself was quite thin and rather tasteless.  I had to add rather a lot of salt and pepper.

The Cromwell Diner also has B&G - I didn't get a pic of that, but they use the same gravy on their chicken-fried steak. More flavorful than Mitchell's, but too thick, and sort of generically salty. Plus it wasn't the best color. Not that B&G is a dish noted for its beauty, but...

I live in the deep south, it's a mecca for biscuits and gravy!!!
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/14 21:50:36 (permalink)
    I see those biscuits have been on the grill. Another rather disturbing trend.
    Dr. L.M.
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/15 00:12:31 (permalink)
    In Texas, our Whataburgers have a great biscuit and gravy.  The sauasage is spicy and meaty, and the gravy always perfect.  Although Whataburger is a Texas chain, they have stayed very real. 
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8365
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/15 08:52:14 (permalink)
    I make a mean biscuits and gravy....my Carolina cousins are amazed.....
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13503
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/15 09:07:26 (permalink)
    Biscuits and gravy has been a staple around my family for years served at any meal anytime of the day.  Even on holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas as a side.
    Mamaw Smith makes a mean drop biscuit.  Somehow she makes them in just a few minutes with a few more minuts to get nice and brown  She makes them small.  She makes a rue and makes sure it is nice and brown with the sausage drippings.  With the crumbled sausage she sat aside, she adds it to the rue before she adds the milk and begins to thicken and then peppers it generously.

Serves it with some of her strawberry freezer jam on the side with her cold slightly sweet butter and her strong coffee.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6831
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/15 12:10:41 (permalink)
    Time to 'fess up.  I never ate biscuits and gravy. 
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/15 15:41:30 (permalink)
    lleechef

I really do not find that strange.  Just yesterday my irrigation guy who was from northern Illinois had never had biscuits and gravy or grits.  Apparently none of those are readily available to our northern friends although both are somewhat of a staple in the south like tomato gravy is more familiar to our friends to the north.  Many foods are particular to the areas in which you reside or how you were raised on.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

love2bake
    • Total Posts : 1389
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/15 17:54:38 (permalink)
    Awww lleechef -- that's sad!  I hope you can either find some to try or make them yourself so you can see why they're so loved. 

My mom was from Tennessee and made this often.

Ann - please take/post a photo the next time you make them!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/15 19:40:27 (permalink)
    This thread got me thinking about sausage and gravy.  I had some Tennessee pride hot sausage in a tube.  I browned it real good and diced it and set it aside.  I then made a roux.  I like to get it brown.  I don't use milk, just water and I add it and bring it to a boil.  It is sorta lumpy at first but as it boils, it levels out.  I add quite a few shakes of black pepper and then add my diced hot sausage.

This may not be the way you make it but it works for me.  I have been doing it this way for several years and I had no complaints.
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/16 11:44:47 (permalink)
    l2b
    I promise I will try some soon.  I have to find out what all the hoopla is about this dish!
    sundancer
    Just curious.......why water??
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/16 13:13:33 (permalink)
    Sundancer7

lleechef

I really do not find that strange.  Just yesterday my irrigation guy who was from northern Illinois had never had biscuits and gravy or grits.  Apparently none of those are readily available to our northern friends although both are somewhat of a staple in the south like tomato gravy is more familiar to our friends to the north.  Many foods are particular to the areas in which you reside or how you were raised on.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I live in Northern Illinois and biscuits and gravy are a staple in any diner and breakfast spot I have ever been in all over the state.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10266
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/16 14:26:17 (permalink)
    lleechef
    l2b
    I promise I will try some soon.  I have to find out what all the hoopla is about this dish!
    sundancer

I'm curious too!
    By definition:
    roux
    /ru/ Show Spelled [roo] Show IPA
    noun a cooked mixture of butter or other fat and flour used to thicken sauces, soups, etc.
    Origin:
    1805–15;  < French  ( beurre ) roux  brown (butter) < Latin russus  red-brown, red-haired, akin to ruber red

post edited by Foodbme - 2013/06/16 14:27:18
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/16 14:51:07 (permalink)
    lleechef

l2b
    sundancer

I have tried milk and I have tried water.  Quite frankly I cannot tell the difference because the real taste comes from the roux which is browned, drippings, pepper  and sausage.  Another thing is I hardly ever buy milk.  I do not use it so I do not have it.  Thickens just the same.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/16 16:04:55 (permalink)
    Sundancer7

lleechef

l2b
    sundancer

I have tried milk and I have tried water.  Quite frankly I cannot tell the difference because the real taste comes from the roux which is browned, drippings, pepper  and sausage.  Another thing is I hardly ever buy milk.  I do not use it so I do not have it.  Thickens just the same.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Thanks for your reply.  We always have milk.......his and hers......MH drinks 1% and it's skim for me.  Were I to make biscuits and gravy I'd probably buy a pint of whole milk......it's what I do when I make Mornay sauce.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/16 16:24:47 (permalink)
    I have not used milk as a beverage in better than 30 years.  A X colleague left our company to join his father in law in the dairy business.  A friend and myself stopped by his dairy and it was huge with perhaps a thousand Holstein cattle that they were milking.  I was anxious to see the operation on this hot July day.  I went into the dairy and there were flies every where and cow poop abundance.  I was behind this cow while their automated milkers were operational and this cow decided then and there to take a huge poop and it splashed me everywhere.  That may seem funny but at that time it was not.  Then I saw that they cleaned the areas to be milked but not perfect.

I decided then and there that milk was off my agenda.  If you gotta boil the crap out of it, I do not want any part of it and I have not since.
    Quite frankly my gravy will not have milk as I do not buy it. 

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/16 16:48:58 (permalink)
    Sundancer7

I have not used milk as a beverage in better than 30 years.  A X colleague left our company to join his father in law in the dairy business.  A friend and myself stopped by his dairy and it was huge with perhaps a thousand Holstein cattle that they were milking.  I was anxious to see the operation on this hot July day.  I went into the dairy and there were flies every where and cow poop abundance.  I was behind this cow while their automated milkers were operational and this cow decided then and there to take a huge poop and it splashed me everywhere.  That may seem funny but at that time it was not.  Then I saw that they cleaned the areas to be milked but not perfect.

I decided then and there that milk was off my agenda.  If you gotta boil the crap out of it, I do not want any part of it and I have not since.
    Quite frankly my gravy will not have milk as I do not buy it. 

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

You have to forgive me, but I laughed out loud when I read this.  I'm sure it was not funny at all for you.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/16 16:59:54 (permalink)
    At that time our company required management to wear suits, ties and my case a vest.  I should have known better but I went into the dairy full dress.  Big mistake.  Fortunately I was traveling and had a change of clothing.  Shortly after that we changed to business casual.  After I retired, I wear less than business casual.  Shorts and T shirts daily in the summer and mock neck and jeans in the winter..

I discovered two thinks that day.  No more milk ever and I definitely would not want to be in the dairy business.  Poor guys as it is a 24-7 business.

I can still smell it to this day.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/16 20:24:50 (permalink)
    lleechef

"gathers the locals with pitchforks and shotguns"  :-)

Lisa that is... UNAMERICAN - go back to Alaska... Oh Wait Alaska is part of the US too.

Damn Yankee! 
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/16 20:31:36 (permalink)
    Paul - I would suggest you try using a chicken broth instead of the water.  It will provide a deeper flavor, and you will be surprised by the difference.

Growing up on a farm I know what you mean.
    I know what you mean about the dairy biz, but you probably wouldnt want to see what is behind MANY of the foods we eat.

lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/17 00:07:20 (permalink)
    CK
    I'll gladly go back to Alaska.  Instead of biscuits and gravy I can have moose, caribou, halibut, salmon, side-stripe shrimp, king crab legs and halibut! 

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6374
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/17 09:00:32 (permalink)
    lleechef

Somebody is letting you down. The Waffle House has biscuits and gravy you know.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18451
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/17 10:44:24 (permalink)
    While I really like the Waffle House (and I just got back from breakfast there), I wouldn't want someone's first try at biscuits and gravy to be from the Waffle House.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/17 13:13:49 (permalink)
    lleechef

CK
    I'll gladly go back to Alaska.  Instead of biscuits and gravy I can have moose, caribou, halibut, salmon, side-stripe shrimp, king crab legs and halibut! 

Ok - wrong choice ummm you get to stay here and I will go to Alaska and teach them about biscuits and gravy and good stick to the ribs kind of thing on that 50 below morning.

hmmm:

Side stripe shrimp and grits
    Caribou Sausage and Gravy

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/17 17:33:43 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    While I really like the Waffle House (and I just got back from breakfast there), I wouldn't want someone's first try at biscuits and gravy to be from the Waffle House.

Like Michael, I'm a Waffle House Affectionato, but I agree, Biscuits & Gravy is not their strong suit.
    Most chains don't to it well. You need a Mom & Pop place to get better versions. Or make it at home. 

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/17 17:36:15 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Like Michael, I'm a Waffle House Affectionato, but I agree, Biscuits & Gravy is not their strong suit.
    Most chains don't do it well. You need a Mom & Pop place to get better versions. Or make it at home. 

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6274
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/17 17:54:27 (permalink)
    I love Waffle House,but agree about their Biscuits & Gravy...When we go to Lancaster, PA, across the street from the Waffle House is a Bob Evans.  Good biscuits & Gravy...good breakfasts all around!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18451
    Re:Biscuits and gravy 2013/06/17 18:24:32 (permalink)
    Bob Evans' biscuits and gravy is good. It's just about the only thing I ever get there. I do wish, though, that they still baked the biscuits from scratch the way the used to do it. Now they are par baked at a commissary and finished in the stores.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1