Biscuits in Ahwatukee, AZ

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10407
2012/08/24 19:31:29 (permalink)

Biscuits in Ahwatukee, AZ

The name of the Place is Biscuits. Ahwatukee is a section of Phoenix just south of the city proper and west of I-10 if you're going East toward Tucson. Not far from the Airport..
It's a Mom & Pop opened not too long ago that's currently serving Breakfast & Lunch with a Fish Fry on Friday Nights, (Alaskan Cod).
Guess what? If you name your place "Biscuits", you better serve darn good biscuits! I've only been there once, but they did their name proud.
I ordered the daily special, 2 nice large eggs over easy done correctly, properly cooked grits served piping hot with real butter and an order of very hot bicuits & gravy. The Biscuits were large and fluffy but I'll need to go back and try them sans gravy to get a true opinion. The quantities were large and the quailty was there. The Waitstaff are mature ladies who are very friendly and I had a nice chat with the owner. His brothers are the cooks and have worked in the South before so they know their Biscuits & Grits!
I'm a home-style Breakfast kinda guy and this place hit me right between the eyes. Dispite being rather new, they did win the "Best Resaurant in Ahwatukee, 2011' which is saying something because Ahwatukee is a relatively upscale community with some very good restaurants.
Can't wait to go back to try some of the other Great Looking items on the menu including:
Corned Beef Hash
Chicken Fried Steak
Country Ham Steak
WWII Spam & Eggs
Link & Patty Sausage, Hardwood Thick Bacon, Portuguese Sausage
Champion Pancakes - Whole Wheat Cakes filled with granola, fresh blueberries, slivered almonds & cinnamon
Mexican dishes include Breakfast Burritos or Quesadillas, Huevos Rancheros or the Chorizo Scrambler.
Lunches include Soups, Salads, Burgers, Sandwiches and Blue Plates like Liver & Onions, Open Faced Sandwiches, Meatloaf (A Speciality) and Chicken a la King. Apple Crumb & Pecan Pies for dessert.
They will be expanding to the Mesa/Gilbert area shortly with a site already wrapped up.
Military past & present, get a 15% Discount! (Good for them!)
Earned the Foodbme Seal of Approval!!
If you're in the area, definitely worth checking out. No web site up yet so go here:
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/22/1543010/restaurant/Ahwatukee/Biscuits-Phoenix#all_reviews
http://www.yelp.com/biz/biscuits-phoenix

8 Replies Related Threads

JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2783
    Re:Biscuits in Ahwatukee, AZ 2012/08/25 00:00:11 (permalink)
    That sounds like a blast.  Thanks.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Biscuits in Ahwatukee, AZ 2012/08/25 00:28:31 (permalink)
    JRPfeff
    That sounds like a blast.  Thanks.

Take I-10 East to the Elliott Rd exit. Turn Right. Go about 1/4 mile or less. It's on the left (South) side
    Bon Appertite, Ya'll!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Biscuits in Ahwatukee, AZ 2012/09/02 01:17:20 (permalink)
    Made my second trip to Biscuits yesterday in mid-aftenoon. Friday is the only day of the week that they're open for dinner where they offer an expanded fish fry menu including cod, catfish, shrimp and several other seafood dishes.
    They served Breakfast up until 4PM on Fridays and as tempting as the fish fry was, I had Breakfast consisting of Eggs over easy, Cottage Frys, Made from scratch Corned Beef Hash and Biscuits. The eggs were perfect, the hash included corned beef, onion, green peppers and a smattering of potatoes. I'm not sure how they prepared the cottage frys. They were cubed potatoes that were golden in color with onions and green peppers mixed in. They could have been slightly deep fried to get the color or they could have used something like paprika, I don't know but the bottom line was they were good! The last time there, I had biscuits & gravy which was good but this time I wanted to see them Au Natural. They were classic southern biscuits, light and fluffy and passed the biscuit test with flying colors. I especially liked that they serve them with REAL butter!
    The Bride was having some stomach problems and not very hungry so she just ordered some Hashbrowns, extra crispy, & some  Toast. By the looks of them, I think the hashbrowns were fresh shredded potatoes, not the frozen ones . Since I'm gonna be working on a project nearby, I'm sure I'll get to try more menu items like the Chicken Fried Steak, the Meatloaf and the Liver & Onions. 
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7375
    Re:Biscuits in Ahwatukee, AZ 2012/09/02 17:08:20 (permalink)
    Those biscuits sound divine.  We were slightly disappointed when we had the biscuits for breakfast at Loveless Cafe.  However, the biscuits we were served with the Glee Club dinner there were delicious.  I think it was because of the presence of Mr. Mayor, Bushie, Buffetbuster et al. 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Biscuits in Ahwatukee, AZ 2012/09/02 18:17:22 (permalink)
    lleechef
    Those biscuits sound divine.  We were slightly disappointed when we had the biscuits for breakfast at Loveless Cafe.  However, the biscuits we were served with the Glee Club dinner there were delicious.  I think it was because of the presence of Mr. Mayor, Bushie, Buffetbuster et al. 

As a Chef you know that anything you make "From scratch" hardly ever comes out the same way twice. In the case of Loveless could have been 2 different cooks making the biscuits.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2535
    Re:Biscuits in Ahwatukee, AZ 2012/09/03 11:51:57 (permalink)
    I'll be in Scottsdale in December, I'll put this one on the list. Any place that puts Liver and Onions on the menu, Can't be from this generation. This sounds like my kind of place............Thanks for the review................Bill
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Biscuits in Ahwatukee, AZ 2012/09/03 14:44:52 (permalink)
    pnwchef
    I'll be in Scottsdale in December, I'll put this one on the list. Any place that puts Liver and Onions on the menu, Can't be from this generation. This sounds like my kind of place............Thanks for the review................Bill

It's easy to get there from Scottsdale. Go South on the 101 to the Elliott Rd exit - Turn Right and go less than a mile. It's on the left. 46th St & Elliott.
    Other blasts from the past - SOS, WWII Spam & Eggs, Meatloaf, Open Faced Sandwiches with Gravy & Mashed Potatoes and Chicken a la King!
    I'm available if you'd like to get together. I'd like to meet you! 

pyrguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Biscuits in Ahwatukee, AZ 2012/09/22 18:03:42 (permalink)
    The wife and I tried  this place twice over the last couple of weeks. Had good food both times. Small mix-up on our last order that was quickly fixed and we went away happy.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1