Black Olives ~ Flavor

Author
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
2006/04/01 00:01:33 (permalink)

Black Olives ~ Flavor

I went out to the Forest Hills Inn to order a pizza tonight (weekly ritual). My norm is Ham, Pepperoni, Onions, Mushrooms and Green pepper..

I like going to FHI since they have about the only decent pizza in town flavor wise, though I feel they may have slipped a notch in the last half year. But I figured today I'd add Black Olives to the toppings. Now normally, black olives have a mellow background flavor, but today they seem to have taken over the taste of the entire pizza.. I know the Inn is trying to use better quality products, but should a black olive have that much flavor to overtake a pizza?

6 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Black Olives ~ Flavor 2006/04/01 02:00:58 (permalink)
    I think perhaps your "problem" is the "better quality products". You see, American-style canned black olives are pretty flavorless (call it "mellow background flavor" if you wish) whereas imported Greek or other Mediterranean black olives have a pretty assertive briny flavor (or, if they are the oil-cured type, a somewhat bitter flavor). Apparently, your pizza source has started using the more expensive imported olives.

I do feel your pain. I make a mean putanesca sauce, I think, but I like lots of olives in it. If I used the imported ones, as most good cooks would, I think the amount I use would overwhelm the sauce so I use the much blander American ones from a can. It may not be "gourmet" but it suits my taste buds. Since you can't dictate the ingredients in the pizza, I'm not sure what you can do but you might mention your displeasure to the cook. Maybe they'll go back to the domestic ones (or offer both--patron's choice).
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Black Olives ~ Flavor 2006/04/01 02:34:35 (permalink)
    Thanks BT! Yes, these olives have a "briny" taste to them. I am used to the canned American style ones, so these caught me off guard. Just had a slice of leftovers and the flavor mellowed out a bit, but after reading your post I could taste it. Please forgive my tastebuds, but around here, pizza is mediocre at best. (As mentioned in many a post on West Michigan Pizzas)..
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Black Olives ~ Flavor 2006/04/01 07:47:21 (permalink)
    At my favorite pizza place they offer black olives (canned) or oil cured. You get more on your pizza with black olives and fewer but better flavor with oil cured. I think they realize the need to balance flavors (and cost) with different olives. Maybe yours hasn't figured that out yet.

In the putanesca, try some of both.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    RE: Black Olives ~ Flavor 2006/04/01 08:41:18 (permalink)
    Our American black olives aren't. They use ferrous gluconate to give them their black color. It's safe but I'll take RC51Mike's idea of using better but fewer of the oil cured.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4319
    RE: Black Olives ~ Flavor 2006/04/01 09:37:42 (permalink)
    Try green olives next time. I've never been a fan of olives in general, but I have come to enjoy the flavor of the greenies. A little less assertive and, I think, less salty. If you like the flavor of olive oil, the greens are closer to it than the black variety.

Buddy
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: Black Olives ~ Flavor 2006/04/03 15:47:37 (permalink)
    The Briny Kalamata olives are my favorite for pizza. Trader Joe's sells them pitted in Greek Olive Oil, I just cut them up and sprinkle over the cheese on my pizza. I love plenty of them even more than pepperoni.

The Oil cured ones I love for Salads they can be so Rich and over the top but mostly good.

I usually like Briny Greek in olive oil and Oil cured wrinkled Italian.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1