The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Black Raspberry ice cream

ynotryme

• Total Posts: 562
Black Raspberry ice cream Thu, 08/16/07 9:49 PM (permalink)
In Central New York, it's ubiquitous at stands and supermarkets. Sold as both ice cream and frozen custard. If they have more than just vanilla and chocolate, they have it. Here in the Dallas area, occasionally you see it in a supermarket with chocolate chips but that's not the same. I was wondering is it popular in another part of the country. Another flavor I can't find down here is orange-pineapple.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
    RE: Black Raspberry ice cream Thu, 08/16/07 10:06 PM (permalink)
    Send me some, NOW!

buffetbuster

RE: Black Raspberry ice cream Thu, 08/16/07 10:10 PM (permalink)
      When in season, it can be found everywhere here in western Pa. And it also happens to be one of my two or three favorite flavors!

Ciaoman

• Total Posts: 375
        RE: Black Raspberry ice cream Thu, 08/16/07 10:40 PM (permalink)
        I believe it's available all over New England. All the homemade ice cream places along the CT shore have it...I think it's my favorite flavor.

phlmaestro2000

• Total Posts: 109
          RE: Black Raspberry ice cream Thu, 08/16/07 11:30 PM (permalink)
          It's common in ice cream parlors in the Philadelphia area; maybe a little less so in stores. Although I suppose most decent supermarkets would have Turkey Hill black raspberry.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
            RE: Black Raspberry ice cream Fri, 08/17/07 7:30 AM (permalink)
            Turkey Hill black raspberry is great. The Jigger Shop in Mt. Gretna has it by the dip most of the summer.

plb

RE: Black Raspberry ice cream Fri, 08/17/07 8:14 AM (permalink)
              Black raspberry milkshakes are very popular in the Midwest.

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1087
                RE: Black Raspberry ice cream Fri, 08/17/07 11:27 AM (permalink)
                I remember replying about this someplace else - maybe on here someplace - but black raspberry touches a certain beautiful place in my childhood memories. It's actually the very first flavor I remember eating in my life! I grew up in Philadelphia, and I echo that it was very common to find that flavor. It remains my lifelong favorite, even above chocolate.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6246
                  RE: Black Raspberry ice cream Fri, 08/17/07 1:07 PM (permalink)
                  Black raspberry was always my (and my mom's) favorite. There was a place in New Brighton, PA called Hank's that had the BEST black raspberry frozen custard!

buffetbuster

RE: Black Raspberry ice cream Fri, 08/17/07 1:25 PM (permalink)
                    lleechef-
                    I know Hank's very well. Besides the excellent frozen custard, they are also known for their Mexican food. I don't particularly remember getting the black raspberry, though. If it is as good as you say, I will have to make it over there next week.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6246
                      RE: Black Raspberry ice cream Fri, 08/17/07 5:30 PM (permalink)
                      bb-you will NOT be disappointed!! I can honestly say I'm not crazy about ice cream or frozen custard but I would go out of my way to get their black raspberry. It's THAT GOOD!

iiicream

• Total Posts: 5
                        RE: Black Raspberry ice cream Mon, 08/20/07 7:22 PM (permalink)
                        Black Raspberry ice cream & yogurt are always in season in Sarasota at Big Olaf Creamery - St Armands.

Customers come from all over the world and enjoy this flavor.

angel92

• Total Posts: 44
                          RE: Black Raspberry ice cream Sun, 09/2/07 11:18 AM (permalink)
                          The best black raspberry ice cream here in Pennsylvania is from Coleman's on the Old Philadelphia Pike in Lancaster.

mrmet6986

• Total Posts: 22
                            RE: Black Raspberry ice cream Sun, 09/2/07 12:30 PM (permalink)
                            In NYC for getting Black Raspberry it either Turkey Hill or Friendly's

alin001

• Total Posts: 9
                              RE: Black Raspberry ice cream Sun, 09/2/07 1:12 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by ynotryme

In Central New York, it's ubiquitous at stands and supermarkets. Sold as both ice cream and frozen custard. If they have more than just vanilla and chocolate, they have it. Here in the Dallas area, occasionally you see it in a supermarket with chocolate chips but that's not the same. I was wondering is it popular in another part of the country. Another flavor I can't find down here is orange-pineapple.

I miss it too; I lived in Southern New York (Wappingers Falls) until I was about 9, and remember the black raspberry ice cream at Friendly's.

You might check out the Ben & Jerry's in Dallas, which may have black raspberry yogurt. It's not the same, admittedly.

plb

RE: Black Raspberry ice cream Sun, 10/14/07 9:29 PM (permalink)
                                I was in the liquor store recently and thought I would buy some blackberry brandy. Before I found it I saw Creme de Mure on sale. It is a French blackberry liqueur. When I got it home and tasted it I found that it tasted just like Dairy Queen's Black Raspberry milkshakes. So tonight I bought some ice cream and made myself a Creme de Mure milkshake. Yum!

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
                                  RE: Black Raspberry ice cream Mon, 10/15/07 1:51 PM (permalink)
                                  The best black raspberry ice cream we ever had was the year I (a) pickd the berries at a Mennonite farm; (b) took them home, cleaned and sorted them; (c) strained them; and (d) made them into ice cream in my little Cuisinart machine, using a recipe from Williams Sonoma's ice cream/sorbet book. The resulting product was a deep purple, creamy treat that was devoured in about five minutes by four hungry people. Admittedly it was a bit of trouble but worth every luscious bite.

Big_Ted

• Total Posts: 186
                                    RE: Black Raspberry ice cream Sat, 01/12/08 1:34 AM (permalink)
                                    I made a black raspberry ice cream last year from freshly picked berries. I found them to be bland and somewhat flavorless. The ice cream was that way, too.

jfitz

• Total Posts: 115
                                      RE: Black Raspberry ice cream Sat, 01/12/08 5:12 AM (permalink)
                                      Baughers Restaurant,Westminster,Md. Black Raspberry Ice Cream and Fried Chicken

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com