Blackie's

Author
Michael Stern
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1034
  • Joined: 2000/11/19 18:12:00
  • Location: Bethel, CT
  • Status: offline
2003/02/26 04:55:48 (permalink)

Blackie's

Pardon me if I take this opportunity to wax rhapsodic about Blackie's hot dogs of Cheshire, Connecticut. I just happened to be passing by the other day with a good appetite. I sat at the counter, ordered two, scarfted them down, ordered two more and polished them off, then concluded the meal with numbers 5 and 6. What great hot dogs... and superb hot relish! IMO, there's nothing better this side of Chicago than a boiled-in-oil Blackie's dog.
#1

9 Replies Related Threads

    RoyHarv
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 75
    • Joined: 2001/06/13 19:34:00
    • Location: Beacon Falls, CT
    • Status: offline
    RE: Blackie's 2003/02/26 19:54:41 (permalink)
    I heard the story behind Blackie's closed-on-Friday policy the other day. It dates back to when Catholics could not eat meat on Friday - which would have seriously affected the number of customers for hot dogs, as well as being a problem for the Italian family running it.
    #2
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    • Joined: 2000/11/19 18:12:00
    • Location: Bethel, CT
    • Status: offline
    RE: Blackie's 2003/02/26 20:33:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RoyHarv

    I heard the story behind Blackie's closed-on-Friday policy the other day. It dates back to when Catholics could not eat meat on Friday - which would have seriously affected the number of customers for hot dogs, as well as being a problem for the Italian family running it.



    Makes sense to me. The woman who first told me about Blackie's is now a nun who grew up in Waterbury and went to Blackie's with her family every Sunday when she was a child. Thanks for the info.
    #3
    abb
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Joined: 2003/03/05 11:50:00
    • Location: Philadelphia, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Blackie's 2003/03/05 15:46:03 (permalink)
    Blackie's is great! Whenever we are in Connecticut we try to arrange our driving to include a stop. It's quick, an easy on/off exit, and better than any chain fast-food option by a mile. I love ordering by just saying the number of dogs you want. (I always start out with "one!" but can never stop there!) We've even brought extra dogs home to Philly (with relish and mustard on the side to dress later). My husband grew up nearby and went to Blackie's regularly, but no one in his family has ever ordered a hamburger.
    A true roadside classic.
    #4
    baverack
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    • Joined: 2002/01/26 21:51:00
    • Location: New Haven, CT
    • Status: offline
    RE: Blackie's 2003/03/05 20:29:37 (permalink)
    Yes oh yes indeed. There is no place on earth (except maybe the original Nathan's in Coney Island) where one can find a dog as fine as Blackie's. Needless to say, I've had more than my share of that perfectly snappy bowser and the ultimate condiment, their hot relish.

    Thanks for fostering a little HOME TOWN PRIDE on my part (I live in Cheshire).

    Cheers,
    Bob
    #5
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    • Joined: 2000/11/19 18:12:00
    • Location: Bethel, CT
    • Status: offline
    RE: Blackie's 2003/03/06 20:33:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by baverack

    Yes oh yes indeed. There is no place on earth (except maybe the original Nathan's in Coney Island) where one can find a dog as fine as Blackie's. Needless to say, I've had more than my share of that perfectly snappy bowser and the ultimate condiment, their hot relish.

    Thanks for fostering a little HOME TOWN PRIDE on my part (I live in Cheshire).

    Cheers,
    Bob



    Is Cheshire inside or outside of the steamed-cheeseburger belt?
    #6
    scenicrec
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    • Joined: 2002/09/30 21:40:00
    • Location: san fracisco, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Blackie's 2003/03/16 21:27:10 (permalink)
    Not to get off topic, I'd guess the "steamed cheeseburger belt" is a triangle that begins in New Haven, travels 91 to Middletown, then drops to Debbie's Restaurant in Centerbrook, where the steamed cheeseburger is an occasional special. That's my two cents.
    #7
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    • Joined: 2000/11/19 18:12:00
    • Location: Bethel, CT
    • Status: offline
    RE: Blackie's 2003/03/17 04:34:00 (permalink)
    Not to get further off-topic, but I never had a steamer in New Haven. Are there any there now?
    #8
    MoBob
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    • Joined: 2003/04/13 16:07:00
    • Location: Houston, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Blackie's 2003/04/23 16:02:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

    Pardon me if I take this opportunity to wax rhapsodic about Blackie's hot dogs of Cheshire, Connecticut. I just happened to be passing by the other day with a good appetite. I sat at the counter, ordered two, scarfted them down, ordered two more and polished them off, then concluded the meal with numbers 5 and 6. What great hot dogs... and superb hot relish! IMO, there's nothing better this side of Chicago than a boiled-in-oil Blackie's dog.



    SIX DOGS......PROBABLY WITH THE WORKS!!!!! And people can't believe I can eat 12 little White Castle's
    #9
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
    • Location: Knoxville, TN,
    • Status: offline
    RE: Blackie's 2003/04/23 16:28:32 (permalink)
    MoBob, I am still having trouble with 12 White Castles???

    Did you put Pepcid on the night shift?

    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    #10
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1