Black's BBQ review

Author
rongmtek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
2008/05/26 09:58:35 (permalink)

Black's BBQ review

I just have to put my 2 cents in: Black's BBQ in Lockhart, TX looks 100% perfect to me. The brisket, and especially the sausage rings (which are absent in so many regions) seem to be the best BBQ meats I've seen on Roadfood.com. Moist, smoky and I swear I can almost get the aroma.
The learned opinion of Michael Stern apparently rates Black's pretty high.
But Mr. S.- the ribs you praise so highly have not been photographically shared with us.
Was it something somebody said? Or are you keeping some things for yourself? (Did you even tell the Mrs.?)
Inquiring minds want to eat.
Ron

9 Replies Related Threads

Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: Black's BBQ review 2008/05/26 10:05:34 (permalink)
    And, given that this is TX, I'm guessing that the ribs are beef ribs. Right? Absolutely agree that Blacks looks fantastic!
    HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1069
    RE: Black's BBQ review 2008/05/26 11:28:45 (permalink)
    Yeah,looks good to me as well.I was just talking to my sister in NY. She and her fiance are coming at Thanksgiving,and they want to go to Lockhart for BBQ and she mentioned Kreuse's,so we can try there and Blacks. I will be going up there long before then,so I want to try City market in Luling and such.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3731
    RE: Black's BBQ review 2008/05/26 11:28:48 (permalink)
    Not necessarily beef ribs. Many of the central Texas BBQ joints serve pork (spare) ribs in addition to the beef. I have no idea what they do with the rest of the pig, because most places do NOT serve pulled/sliced pork or smoked bacon!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2886
    RE: Black's BBQ review 2008/05/26 12:12:37 (permalink)
    I agree - while Black's was not on the Austin Tour, it certainly could have been. Great review!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4587
    RE: Black's BBQ review 2008/05/26 12:22:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Travelin Man

Not necessarily beef ribs. Many of the central Texas BBQ joints serve pork (spare) ribs in addition to the beef. I have no idea what they do with the rest of the pig, because most places do NOT serve pulled/sliced pork or smoked bacon!

Are you under the impression they're slaughtering their own hogs?
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5046
    RE: Black's BBQ review 2008/05/26 12:27:49 (permalink)
    quote:

You are correct!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5046
    RE: Black's BBQ review 2008/05/26 12:28:59 (permalink)
    quote:

They ship it up to North Carolina.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3731
    RE: Black's BBQ review 2008/05/26 12:50:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

Are you under the impression they're slaughtering their own hogs?

I don't necessarily mean that Black's is slaughtering their own hogs, but I would think that someone in Texas is doing it. It would seem odd to me that they would have pork ribs shipped in from elsewhere to be smoked, when the area is otherwise known for beef.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4587
    RE: Black's BBQ review 2008/05/26 13:36:09 (permalink)
    http://www.consumersunion.org/other/animal/animal1.htm
    Executive Summary

Market forces and new technologies are changing the face of livestock production in the state and throughout the country, shifting animal production from small family-owned farms to large, corporate livestock facilities. Large-scale confined animal feeding operations (CAFOs) now dominate the industry, and some of the largest corporate CAFOs own and operate all aspects of production from breeding stock to feed mills to slaughterhouses and rendering plants.

Once known primarily as a beef cattle state, Texas is now also home to thriving dairy, chicken, egg, and hog production facilities, ranking among the top 10-15 states for each category of production.

But the growth and consolidation of CAFOs in Texas has not come without a cost.

* Large-scale animal production also creates large-scale animal waste-Texas is the #1 manure-producing state in the country.
    * CAFOs in Texas must manage and dispose of an estimated 280 billion pounds of manure each year.
    * This waste burden has impaired at least 388 miles of Texas streams and over 21,000 acres of lakes.
    * Air testing near cattle feedlots shows sporadic, high particulate levels above state and federal standards. Air testing downwind of hog, cattle and broiler operations indicate strong, offensive odors and ammonia levels in excess of the state's "health based effects screening level" or ESL. Neighbors testify that odors and dust have led many to sell their homesteads and move away.
    * In 1995, Texas regulators streamlined the permit process for CAFOs, limiting the ability of neighboring property owners to contest new permits or major expansions through the contested case hearing process. TNRCC does not consider the cumulative impact that a new CAFO will have when sited near many existing CAFOs, nor does it prohibit many of the practices that contribute to odor and water problems.
    * Lax enforcement allows CAFOs to pollute, sometimes for years, before action is taken.
    * Texas' recently amended "right to farm" law virtually eliminates neighbors' ability to bring a nuisance action against most CAFOs to protect their rights to use and enjoy their own property.
    * Despite the enormity of Texas' animal waste disposal burden, the state's environmental regulations lag behind what other CAFO-intensive states have done to protect their resources. While several states have placed moratoria on new CAFOs, Texas continues to welcome more facilities-particularly hog producers-to the state. Other states have begun to make corporate farms jointly liable for pollution at their contract grower sites, but Texas has not done so. Some states have begun addressing air quality issues by applying stricter ambient hydrogen sulfide emissions standards to CAFOs, or defining feedlot dust as an emission for purposes of the Federal Clean Air Act, while Texas has not.

of course, we all already knew that Tejas was the #1 manure producing state
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1