Blasphemy , I know

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Redskin204
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2004/10/17 03:54:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Kristi S.

Albertson's carries an extensive Glory line. I've tried the veggies in a chicken gravy sauce. It's kind of like a chicken potpie flavor without the chicken and without the crust. Comfort food.

That doesn't sound too bad. I love a good potpie, so if it's in that neighborhood I better give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

Redskin204
arnisarn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2004/10/18 16:56:36 (permalink)
Unfortunately for some of us, many of the Glory Foods have MSG. So... even though they sound good, I haven't bought any for my family after reading the labels.

Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/07 20:25:15 (permalink)
Speaking of "Glory Foods", most of which I find rather good; I have found yet another variety. Red Beans and Rice. YES. You heard it 1st HERE, CANNED Red Beans and Rice. But WAIT. Don't turn your nose up at it yet. It is passable for a quick lunch or light dinner meal, along with a sandwich. Quite often, I do not get home until it's really too late to cook a "real" meal. I found this stuff at a local grocery store and said "what the hell" & bought two cans. I had @ home already some smoked country sausage. I chunked up a bit o' the sausage & nuked all until it was hot as hades. Added a splash or five of some Louisiana hot sauce. No other seasonings were needed, obviously. I liked it, and so did my stomach.
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/08 14:19:25 (permalink)
Thanks for reviving this thread.

As the oddball Northerner who likes greens, but of course lacks the genetic makeup to cook them well, I've been spending a premium price for Sylvia's (in the "International" aisle of our markets ) for years. Glory is the only other brand I've seen in our stores, but they're so much cheaper I was afraid to try them. I'll check them out, soon, and if the sodium count isn't in the danger zone give 'em a try.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/12 14:55:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ashphalt

As the oddball Northerner who likes greens, but of course lacks the genetic makeup to cook them well, I've been spending a premium price for Sylvia's (in the "International" aisle of our markets ) for years. Glory is the only other brand I've seen in our stores, but they're so much cheaper I was afraid to try them. I'll check them out, soon, and if the sodium count isn't in the danger zone give 'em a try.

Asphalt:

I have used Glory product for years and I truly enjoy them. I think I have bought and tried about every thing they sell. I believe you will be pleased. I believe they all are southern seasoned.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5416
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/12 15:50:27 (permalink)
Asphalt, Glory has come out with a "Sensibly Seasoned" line of their products. Lower in Salt at least.

MikeS.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18368
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/12 15:57:31 (permalink)
The interesting thing about Glory's "Southern" foods is the fact that it originated in Columbus, Ohio.

And, yes, they have some really terrific stuff.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/12 16:03:20 (permalink)
Attached is the link to their website for those who may have an interest.

I have never noted their products being salty however I like salt. I really like their collard greens.

http://www.gloryfoods.com/index.asp

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/12 17:24:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

The interesting thing about Glory's "Southern" foods is the fact that it originated in Columbus, Ohio.

And, yes, they have some really terrific stuff.

Wasn't it the El Paso salsa that was "made in NYC!!!".

John
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/13 15:37:17 (permalink)
"Get a Rope" is the Pace Picante ad slogan for folks who get their salsa from NYC. They probably only run that ad in Texas and Oklahoma.

Glory does make real good canned stuff. I am still looking for their Hopin John at the stores near me.
Joe
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/13 16:09:18 (permalink)
I am not sure what Glory,s sensibily seasoned foods are. My guess is that it contains less salt?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Tastytoo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 271
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/13 17:11:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ashphalt

I believe Allen's brand has canned greens.

www.allencanning.com
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/13 20:03:39 (permalink)
I buy the Allen's brand of pole beans all of the time. They are pretty good, especially when seasoned with a packet of GOYA brand ham seasoning.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/13 20:06:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I am not sure what Glory,s sensibily seasoned foods are. My guess is that it contains less salt?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Correct, Paul.

Typical example:

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/13 20:54:45 (permalink)
Adjudicator: Collard greens and they are my favorite. Glory does a real good job with them.

One time I bought them and they were tough. I sent them an email and they sent me a real nice sampler basket.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/13 20:59:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Adjudicator: Collard greens and they are my favorite. Glory does a real good job with them.

One time I bought them and they were tough. I sent them an email and they sent me a real nice sampler basket.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Hmmmmmm. I had some of their "mixed greens" (kale, collards, turnip greens) the other day; and THEY were a bit tough, also. Hmmmmmmm...
mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1354
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/22 16:10:02 (permalink)
For the best of both worlds (or brands) try mixing a can of Glory red beans with a can of Blue Runner red beans. Add some Andouille sausage and serve it over rice. Don't tell anybody, hide the cans, and let them think you've been cooking all day.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/22 17:25:12 (permalink)
Some relevant links:

• [url='http://www.gloryfoods.com/index.asp']Glory Foods[/url]
  • [url='http://www.allencanning.com/']Allen Canning Co.[/url]
  • [url='http://www.bluerunnerfoods.com/']Blue Runner Foods[/url]
  • [url='http://www.allencanning.com/products/trappys.php']Trappy's (a division of Allen Canning)[/url]
  • [url='http://www.steensyrup.com/']Steen's Cane Syrup[/url]
  • [url='http://www.brucefoods.com/index.html']Bruce Foods[/url]
(Please pardon the redundant ones!)
bethgrd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 320
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/22 18:09:44 (permalink)
How is Redtressed doing? I noted she started this topic, but it seems ages since she's posted. beth
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/26 17:26:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Speaking of "Glory Foods", most of which I find rather good; I have found yet another variety. Red Beans and Rice. YES. You heard it 1st HERE, CANNED Red Beans and Rice. But WAIT. Don't turn your nose up at it yet. It is passable for a quick lunch or light dinner meal, along with a sandwich. Quite often, I do not get home until it's really too late to cook a "real" meal. I found this stuff at a local grocery store and said "what the hell" & bought two cans. I had @ home already some smoked country sausage. I chunked up a bit o' the sausage & nuked all until it was hot as hades. Added a splash or five of some Louisiana hot sauce. No other seasonings were needed, obviously. I liked it, and so did my stomach.

Who carries it, Publix, Wal-Mart?

Thanks,

John
soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/26 18:13:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John A

quote:

Thanks,

John

I buy the Glory Red Beans and Rice in the "International" [sic] aisle at Meijer, where they have the southern/New Orleans food items.

In the vegetable aisle they have the greens, and another favorite of mine, the Sweet Potato Casserole. It is a great side dish with pork. There is a recipe on the can for sweet potato pie, which I haven't yet tried.

Their green bean casserole has done okay, for me, in a pinch. I just add some fried onions {FYI~it is watery, and not quite like making it yourself}.

The country cabbage was good, too.

Ashphalt:
My local Kroger was discontinuing Sylvia's greens, and a bought a couple of cans of mixed for @ $.75. Are they pretty good?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/26 18:22:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by soozycue520

quote:

quote:

Thanks,

John

I buy the Glory Red Beans and Rice in the "International" [sic] aisle at Meijer, where they have the southern/New Orleans food items.

In the vegetable aisle they have the greens, and another favorite of mine, the Sweet Potato Casserole. It is a great side dish with pork. There is a recipe on the can for sweet potato pie, which I haven't yet tried.

Their green bean casserole has done okay, for me, in a pinch. I just add some fried onions {FYI~it is watery, and not quite like making it yourself}.

The country cabbage was good, too.

Ashphalt:
My local Kroger was discontinuing Sylvia's greens, and a bought a couple of cans of mixed for @ $.75. Are they pretty good?

I ate at Sylvia's in NYC a little while ago and I was dissapointed. I have not bought any of her canned products because of that.

In addition, I was intimidated with the local area of Sylvia's. I recoginize that the neighborhood is part of the ambience but it was too much for me.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Blasphemy , I know 2006/12/28 19:19:36 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Thanks,

John

I found mine @ a SuperWally's, John. If you can find their red beans (no rice), etc., just as good except better rice, since you make your own. All of Glory products I have tasted are really good. Margaret Holmes NOW releasing similar things, so I expect them to be good also. A thing about MH's products -- this is only manufacturer that I can find that has White Acre field peas. A delicacy in my part of the woods. Yes, fresh IS better, but...
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1