Blasphemy , I know

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
redtressed
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1017
2003/09/22 17:30:56 (permalink)

Blasphemy , I know

Again a curiosity to be sated. Are any of you familiar with the canned products that Glory Foods put out? For most part, unless it's home-canned food, I steer clear of commericial canned vegetables, but these have changed my mind somewhat. They feature things such as spinach, greens, string beans, skillet corn, Field peas etc and they are surprisingly very tasty, with a definite southern style home cooking in their flavor. (and yes, they use bacon grease in a lot of these preparations)

52 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2003/09/22 18:10:57 (permalink)
    I've had Glory greens before. A friend swears by that brand, and once while we were making dinner at his house, he handed me a big can of the mixed greens and asked me to "do something with this". I chopped some onions, fried them in some bacon grease, then heated the greens in that. They were actually pretty good!

I've seen the Glory brand in many of the stores here, but have only had the greens.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2003/09/23 04:42:08 (permalink)
    Walmart sells Glory products and they have the only collards that I will buy that is canned.

Very tasty and seasoned well.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2003/09/23 15:20:20 (permalink)
    Greens are hubby's favorite side, and he is quite the greens afficianado. He is crazy about Glory greens...we have them every New Years Day, along with Glory black eye peas. They're downright yummy!
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2003/09/23 15:44:21 (permalink)
    www.gloryfoods.com

I went to their website and some of their new frozen items look delicious. They have a page where their products are distributed around the country.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2003/09/23 16:19:38 (permalink)
    I like the fried corn that's in the freezer section, greens are pretty good but I'm so used to have plenty of greens around I prefer to do my own. They do have a pretty good product for sure.
    mek
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2003/09/23 16:26:21 (permalink)
    I've had the field peas, greens, mac and cheese and fried corn. Decent flavor.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2003/10/01 08:25:15 (permalink)
    Albertson's carries an extensive Glory line. I've tried the veggies in a chicken gravy sauce. It's kind of like a chicken potpie flavor without the chicken and without the crust. Comfort food.
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2003/10/01 14:07:05 (permalink)
    After reading this thread, I bought a can of Glory turnip greens and a can of collard greens. I sauteed 6 cloves of garlic, half an onion and about a quarter pound of pancetta added to the turnip greens, and a little bit of crushed red pepper. Damn tasty good.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2003/10/01 14:18:51 (permalink)
    I don't buy alot of canned produce, but when I do a couple of things stand out

Blue Runner Products

El Pato brand sauces (they are fabulous)

Goya Black Beans

I rarely eat this stuff, but my kids love it (and can make it themselves) any Zatarains Brand prepackaged meal (red beans and rice, jambalaya, etc.). Made in Louisiana and pretty good (although I feel the salt content is a bit high), not homemade, but that's not the point.
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2003/10/01 15:50:11 (permalink)
    I usually prefer to make greens from what I grow in my own garden or frozen greens so I can season them as I like and not overcook them, but Glory brand greens are mighty well seasoned and make it very tempting to be lazy and just open a can. They are overcooked, to my taste.

I love their field peas with snaps variety; just about made me swear off black-eyed peas, but I can't find them in the stores very often.

Mayhaw Man - just got some Blue Runner beans after seeing them touted on FoodTV. Any tips on what to serve them with, etc., or just straight out of the can?

Also, what's your pick of creole mustards? I like Rex's Horseshoe brand and Luzianne, both available on cajungrocer.com, over the more widely available Zatarains.
    Craig328
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2003/10/01 16:53:19 (permalink)
    Check out the recipe page; well worth bookmarking! Already printed out a couple.

http://www.gloryfoods.com/recipes.htm
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2003/10/01 17:17:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hermitt4d

Mayhaw Man - just got some Blue Runner beans after seeing them touted on FoodTV. Any tips on what to serve them with, etc., or just straight out of the can?

Also, what's your pick of creole mustards? I like Rex's Horseshoe brand and Luzianne, both available on cajungrocer.com, over the more widely available Zatarains.

I sometimes use them as is, adding sausage (& perhaps thinning a bit), over rice. A Cajun friend told me that his mom--back in the '20s, I would guess--used them, so they have a long history. You could spice them up, though: I like more garlic & some cumin at times.

Thanks for the tip on Rex & Luzianne. I'll try them out.

Rick, preemptively striking Mayhaw Man's turf
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2004/03/26 11:58:17 (permalink)
    We tried them at the Southern Womens Show and were given some really
    good coupons so I bought a couple cans. The greens are pretty good but not as good as fresh greens which I like to buy at the Farmers Market in the Fall and cook. The fresh ones really do freeze well too.
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2004/03/26 13:42:21 (permalink)
    All of the Glory canned products that I have tried have been good -- much better than other canned veggies, mostly because they are seasoned the way I like them. When I first started seeing their products on the store shelves a few years ago, some of their greens were gritty, as if they had not been sufficiently cleaned before canning. They have apparently solved that quality control problem, however, because I have not noticed it for a good while now.
    andypants
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2004/03/27 15:30:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by redtressed

Are any of you familiar with the canned products that Glory Foods put out? They feature things such as spinach, greens, string beans, skillet corn, Field peas etc and they are surprisingly very tasty, with a definite southern style home cooking in their flavor. (and yes, they use bacon grease in a lot of these preparations)

The field peas, snap peas (the same thing?) smothered potatoes, country cabbage, and crockpot beans are very good. So are the frozen entrees I have tried (jambalaya, rice with chicken and sausage, pork and dressing, and chicken and dumplings). But those are very expensive ($6.99 at Safeway), I only buy them on sale.

Re Glory: They used to have a religious message on the label, but stopped doing that a few years back.
    Scarlett
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2004/03/27 17:44:15 (permalink)
    I'm very glad I found this thread. I've been passing these up in the grocery store but now I plan to try them.
    I have, in the past, tried Luck's pintos - how does Glory compare?

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2004/03/27 18:26:35 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Glory's canned product line is a little more expensive than most others, especially house brands, but the quality is well worth it. I've never been disappointed in anything with their label.
    Where are y'all finding Blue Runner products? The only place I ever managed to turn them up was a Sunflower Foods in Antioch, Tennessee... just SE of Nashville. We can't buy them here (Athens, Georgia) - I've tried looking everyplace. My next sojourn to Atlanta, I'll do some hunting in the stores thereabouts. Also, whenever I make it to Alabama, I'll do likewise. You Cajuns can't be keeping all those great Blue Runner products for yourselves!
    Nor have I ever seen Rex Mustard hereabouts. My favorite is Woeber's Hot & Spicy Sandwich Pal out of Springfield, Ohio. Another good line is Kopp's (I believe it is) from somewhere in Wisconsin: they have a horseradish mustard that'll really clean out your sinuses.
    Speaking of Woeber's, has anyone tried their cranberry horseradish sauce? It sounds wonderful; since I am forced to minimize my sugar intake, I can only hope that it isn't too sweet. Maybe I'm weird, but I like unsweetened cranberries just fine, in spite of the fact that eating them probably removes all the enamel from my teeth!
    Apropos you'd start this thread, Redtressed... you are Glorious!
    Unhungrily (Miracles Do Occur!), Ort. Carlton in Springlike, Blossoming Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. They'll just have to open that bridge in Portsmouth, Ohio on April 4 without me. I've got a brewfest to attend on April 3... right here in Athens. Any of you who are close and interested, check out www.brewfest.net for more information, or see next week's Flagpole Magazine (www.flagpole) online for my article.
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2004/03/27 22:36:21 (permalink)
    @ ORT...I'll see if they can blow up the new bridge across the Monongahela here and rebuild a new one....to give you something to do

I've just tried the frozen offerings that Glory has, this past week and found them quite good also.

To me, nothing beats fresh or home canned/frozen....but I do think they've done it right as far as "pre-fab" food

Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2004/03/28 01:40:06 (permalink)
    Blue Runner stuff:

http://www.bluerunnerfoods.com/
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2004/03/28 10:46:33 (permalink)
    All of the Glory products I have tried have been very tasty. The frozen entree's come in very handy after a long, hectic day.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1509
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2004/03/28 12:46:22 (permalink)
    We tried the Glory frozen Chicken and stuffing last week...pretty darn good and onsale for about 2.99.
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2004/03/29 09:03:09 (permalink)
    I tried the Lima beans last night and while they were okay, they had a bit of an overwhelming "liquid smoke" type taste. I think I'll stick to my own in this particular category. This was a first. Maybe it was just a bad batch. Has anyone else tried the canned Lima's?
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2004/03/30 20:46:13 (permalink)
    This product line is very good, as others (I see) have attested. I particularly favor the "mixed greens" and other similar canned items. The frozen line of same has been recently been d/ced from my local food emporium(s) due to (???) high costs. There is another purveyor of canned goods ("Margaret Holmes") that, while not as tasty as our current subject, certainly ranks much above par than other offerings. I am a bit biased, perhaps, as the MH entity offers acre peas. Now, to a TRUE southerner, there is NOTHING more sacred than white acre peas and white cornbread with no sweetner (aka sugar) involved in the process. BACON FAT RULES!!!!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2004/03/30 23:36:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

This product line is very good, as others (I see) have attested. I particularly favor the "mixed greens" and other similar canned items. The frozen line of same has been recently been d/ced from my local food emporium(s) due to (???) high costs. There is another purveyor of canned goods ("Margaret Holmes") that, while not as tasty as our current subject, certainly ranks much above par than other offerings. I am a bit biased, perhaps, as the MH entity offers acre peas. Now, to a TRUE southerner, there is NOTHING more sacred than white acre peas and white cornbread with no sweetner (aka sugar) involved in the process. BACON FAT RULES!!!!

Adjudicator,
    Margaret Holmes products used to come from a canning plant in Sandersville, Georgia. That plant may yet be open, but the label says "McCall Farms, Effingham, S. C." now. Our local Bell's supermarket carries quite a few of their offerings, and at bargain prices.
    As for Bacon Fat, I own that 45 by Andre "Mr. Rhythm" Williams. Gets greasy when ya play it,too. Authentic.
    It's What's In The Grooves That Matters, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2004/03/31 08:34:49 (permalink)
    I've lived here all my life, in the northwestern and southeastern areas, and had never heard of Effingham, SC. Effingham, GA, yes, but not SC. So, I googled it and discovered what seems to be a really great news site that I wanted to share:
    http://www.topix.net
    Apologies in advance for being a wee bit off topic.

P.S. Yes, Virginia, there is an Effingham, SC.
    Sasaku
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2004/09/11 20:00:16 (permalink)
    I love the greens, but thats all iv tried, sometimes I just sit down and eat the whole can to get my greens for the day.
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2004/09/11 20:07:19 (permalink)
    I've never been able to cook greens properly - appreciate the tip ... will give them a try. They seem to be widely available in the DC area.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2004/09/13 11:35:31 (permalink)
    The Southern Womens Show is scheduled for 2 weeks away in Charlote, NC and I noticed that Glory Foods has a booth there again this year.
    They always have samples cooked and give away coupons for free cans of the greens and beans and good coupons towards the frozen items also. Looking forward to the show and all of the free food samples and great coupons.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    RE: Blasphemy , I know 2004/09/20 05:41:47 (permalink)
    I found Glory greens at Wal-mart a couple 3 years ago. I'm too lazy to cook down my own green so these have been a really good find. I love to cook up a pot of beans, some cornbread and a big can of their mixed greens. Now that is some good eats!

As for black eyes I tend to buy Bush's southern style. If I have any bacon fat around, which I usually do, I'll add a spoon of that to both the black eyes and to the greens. Been known to render down 4 or 5 strips of bacon just to have to add to these products. And my doctor wants to know how my cholosterol is LOW.

I'll have to look at the other Glory products and see if they are available, like the frozen foods.

MikeS.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1