Blast from the past hey guys it's Ozdogs!

Author
OzdogsOfPhoenix
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
2014/08/01 13:15:10 (permalink)

Blast from the past hey guys it's Ozdogs!

Hey Roadfooders it's Ozdogs and it's been years. Last I talked to you it looked like Oz was headed for the hot dog cart in the sky but here I am still kicking the carts. It's been a long and winding road but I'm even more into food service than ever and I'm pretty much loving it. We're getting more experimental with the preps and the market is more geared than ever to value with some flair.

Chicago Style is surpsisingly popular given as we have our own local Mexican influenced dogs like but Hawaiian Style with mango salsa and pineapple mustard kinda picks people's heads up.

One thing we discovered is shaved ice desserts really round out the menu and I'd recommend everybody consider adding it to the line up. The markup is insanely great and you can upscale it or downscale it really easy: do the generic flavors for kids at the park but do organic flavors with essential oils like jasmine and green tea with washed raw sugar for the art gallery crowd. Put a sprig of mint on top and a neat looking cup and people go BANANAS for it. You just have to get to know ice a bit better. It turns out that ice has to be a bit "warm" to really shave properly. Ice isn't just one temperature and it acts differently in different phases so sometimes you want dry ice to cool the ice but usually you wanna wrap it in a towel so the ice doesn't get TOO COLD. Also, dry ice is so cold that it can crack the fiberglass linings on our coolers. Watch out for that.

Anyways in these years since I took up your time and monitor space, I have writtten two food ebooks. One is about long term food storage  and the other is about guess what? How to become one of us that's what, . Publishing is kinda my way of giving back to the hot dog community. After this many years and as we learn how to market successfully on the interwebs and social media, the cream has kinda risen to the top in Phoenix. There's competitors you actually WANT because they are always innovating, coming up with interesting new menu options, raising the bar overall for our industry and that is GOOD FOR ALL OF US!

And another thing, you want allies. Believe me, in Phoenix we are sending each other jobs, sharing tips, sometimes you need to be in two places at once so you need another buddy vendor to cover your spot and the whole "work together" thing really tells the pros from the ammateurs. Plus you get to pick your competitors. Among our friendly competitors, besides Nana's Heavenly Hot Dogs is this guy called BP's Hot Dogs And More of Phoenix and not only have we done gigs together and covered each other, we bought a cart from him one time. We're still using that cart. He's an all-around good guy and it's nice to know somebody has your back when you need it.

A good competitor helps you improve your own business. So many people have copied stuff from our website but we've picked up some good tips from your websites too. Fact is if we didn't want to share the info we wouldn't have put it on a website for all the world to see.

Anyways so much to talk about, can't wait to read more about what the rest of you are up to. The free advice desk is open again and every day is a great day to be out there selling. Which I obviously am not at this moment. Truth is I'm getting old...and I'm gonna need some of you younger people to take over soon.
post edited by OzdogsOfPhoenix - 2014/08/01 13:19:09

3 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10287
    Re: Blast from the past hey guys it's Ozdogs! 2014/08/02 02:23:55 (permalink)
    Where are you located?
    Found your web site:
    http://www.azhotdog.com/ 
    post edited by Foodbme - 2014/08/02 02:30:38
    OzdogsOfPhoenix
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: Blast from the past hey guys it's Ozdogs! 2014/08/08 19:28:02 (permalink)
    Hey foodbme I think I recall you from years past.

We don't do street sales. All events. Thanks for finding the site, take another look at it, I just did a bit of refurbishing to it. I think I'll do a post on internet marketing. The sea has changed on that score.

Hey we'd love to have you over or get you to show up at a gig. We discovered this supplier of organic flavors that go insanely well over ice. Imagine Night Jasmine over ice with granulated washed raw sugar. It should be a Schedule II narcotic. And the green tea flavor, again with washed raw sugar and condensed milk is criminally awesome. It almost makes me wish we did street sales, this stuff really makes it with the art crowd and the farmer's market crowd.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10287
    Re: Blast from the past hey guys it's Ozdogs! 2014/08/09 03:36:45 (permalink)
    OzdogsOfPhoenix
    Hey foodbme I think I recall you from years past.

We don't do street sales. All events. Thanks for finding the site, take another look at it, I just did a bit of refurbishing to it. I think I'll do a post on internet marketing. The sea has changed on that score.

Hey we'd love to have you over or get you to show up at a gig. We discovered this supplier of organic flavors that go insanely well over ice. Imagine Night Jasmine over ice with granulated washed raw sugar. It should be a Schedule II narcotic. And the green tea flavor, again with washed raw sugar and condensed milk is criminally awesome. It almost makes me wish we did street sales, this stuff really makes it with the art crowd and the farmer's market crowd.

Let me know where your next event is and I'll try to make it.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1