The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Blind Dates

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
Blind Dates Mon, 03/24/08 11:52 AM (permalink)
Anyone ever have a great Blind date experience? Personally, not even close to a half decent experience. One particular awful one, she got drunk and barfed in my car.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
    RE: Blind Dates Mon, 03/24/08 12:02 PM (permalink)
    I met my wife on a blind date that I'd been trying to break without success -- thank God. She died shortly before our 33rd wedding anniversary -- nearly ten years ago.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
      RE: Blind Dates Mon, 03/24/08 12:03 PM (permalink)
      Sorry for your loss Michael.
      I went on a blind date once. I would NEVER do it again, and thats all I'm saying about that.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Blind Dates Mon, 03/24/08 12:19 PM (permalink)
        Thank you. I have to say this about that blind date. I'd just finished broadcasting the first hockey game of the season and I was still so keyed up that I never shut up till I took her home at close to 5 a.m. We'd been talking -- I'd been talking -- the whole night, mostly over coffee at a truck stop diner in Connecticut (Secondi Brothers). I was scared to death she'd never go out with me again.

phatphil

• Total Posts: 668
          RE: Blind Dates Mon, 03/24/08 12:20 PM (permalink)
          AOL=BLIND DATES

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
            RE: Blind Dates Mon, 03/24/08 12:21 PM (permalink)
            Some friends met on a blind date at an Army Navy game. She likes to tell the story that she wore flats, but had heels in her pocketbook. (she is tall). When she met her future husband she changed to heels (he claims that he didn't notice). She was an Army brat and says that she should have known better than to marry a career officer, but she did. She says that being married to a retired officer is better.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Blind Dates Mon, 03/24/08 12:39 PM (permalink)
              Boy! I remember when girls did that -- heels in the pocketbook in case the guy turned out to be tall enough.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                RE: Blind Dates Mon, 03/24/08 12:46 PM (permalink)
                Michael, Isn't that the way it should be? Memorable? Obviously she must have been fascinated with your enthusiasm if she hung in there until 5:00 AM.

I've never gone on a blind date but my first date with my wife was a blind date for her. I was on a date and spotted four University of Cincinnati nurse students at the Lakewood Bar & Grill in Cincinnati. One of my apartment roommates was pining over one of them so I went back to the apartment and told him. He and my two other roommates went out to find them. In the meantime I left and took my date home across the river to Fort Mitchell, KY. When I got back later they were all still at the apartment. I kind of quietly just observed because it was late, winding down and I really wasn't part of the group. But I did keenly observe one, my future wife, got her name from my roommates and called her up for a date a few weeks later. She assumed I was one of my roommates whom she had met and talked to but didn't remember his name. She was surprised when I picked her up. It went well. She lived at Logan Hall on the university medical campus. Logan Hall had a strict curfew and she missed it and got in trouble on our first date. That was 44 years ago. Neither one of us can remember any formal marriage proposal between us but we both admit we assumed our future that first night and we were married two years later in Bay Village, OH.

Lexi

• Total Posts: 248
                  RE: Blind Dates Mon, 03/24/08 1:06 PM (permalink)
                  You guys tell such wonderful and tender stories - I am ever hopeful that one day my prince will arrive in the same fashion.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Blind Dates Mon, 03/24/08 1:10 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Davydd

Michael, Isn't that the way it should be? Memorable? Obviously she must have been fascinated with your enthusiasm if she hung in there until 5:00 AM.

I've never gone on a blind date but my first date with my wife was a blind date for her. I was on a date and spotted four University of Cincinnati nurse students at the Lakewood Bar & Grill in Cincinnati. One of my apartment roommates was pining over one of them so I went back to the apartment and told him. He and my two other roommates went out to find them. In the meantime I left and took my date home across the river to Fort Mitchell, KY. When I got back later they were all still at the apartment. I kind of quietly just observed because it was late, winding down and I really wasn't part of the group. But I did keenly observe one, my future wife, got her name from my roommates and called her up for a date a few weeks later. She assumed I was one of my roommates whom she had met and talked to but didn't remember his name. She was surprised when I picked her up. It went well. She lived at Logan Hall on the university medical campus. Logan Hall had a strict curfew and she missed it and got in trouble on our first date. That was 44 years ago. Neither one of us can remember any formal marriage proposal between us but we both admit we assumed our future that first night and we were married two years later in Bay Village, OH.

I was so sfraid I'd blown it that night that I was afraid to call and ask her out again. I finally called the gal who'd arranged the blind date and asked her to do it again.

By the way, my wife was an RN. BSN, Yale.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Blind Dates Mon, 03/24/08 1:31 PM (permalink)

I met my wife thru a Personal Ad she placed in a grocery throwaway newspaper. That's pretty close to a 'Blind Date" I think. I had been divorced for 7 years and had decided to get serious about finding a companion again. We arranged by phone to meet at a local Dennys for coffee. The rest is history. BTW I have her classified AD taped to the edge of my Computer Monitor to remind me of my good fortune every time I look at it.

Sundancer7

RE: Blind Dates Mon, 03/24/08 2:34 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I met my wife thru a Personal Ad she placed in a grocery throwaway newspaper. That's pretty close to a 'Blind Date" I think. I had been divorced for 7 years and had decided to get serious about finding a companion again. We arranged by phone to meet at a local Dennys for coffee. The rest is history. BTW I have her classified AD taped to the edge of my Computer Monitor to remind me of my good fortune every time I look at it.

Al, that is a great story and I have enjoyed it every time you have told it. Janet and you have made a very good team.

Paul E. Smith
                        Knoxville,TN

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                          RE: Blind Dates Mon, 03/24/08 5:50 PM (permalink)
                          I've had the occasional blind date over the years....(and I've been dating since I was 14, so that's a lot of dating!) And still dating at a young 48 ! I've probably set the record for "6 month boyfriends" ... mostly all good experiences, though.

Can't recall a real good BLIND date, though. But "never say never", so I always keep my eyes and ears open! I even look at www.match.com sometimes.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                            RE: Blind Dates Tue, 03/25/08 12:58 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Lexi
                            You guys tell such wonderful and tender stories - I am ever hopeful that one day my prince will arrive in the same fashion.

Lexi,
                            Buried somewhere in here is a thread, "RF As Match Service" -- or some sort. I think it's under this overthread, "Off-Topic and 'Lighter Fare.'"
                            I can't come galloping up for you on a unicorn, but I DO have a 1992 Cadillac that gets impossibly bad gas mileage. Will that do? Or shall I affix a lone antler to the middle of her hood so she can fake it???
                            Wow. I'm glad I stopped in here.
                            Still-Singly, Ort. Carlton in Somehow-They-Put-Up-With-Me-Here Athens, Georgia.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6205
                              RE: Blind Dates Tue, 03/25/08 4:10 AM (permalink)
                              Zman and I met on a "Blind Internet date".......that is to say we met in a chat room, he invited me to come to Alaska on vacation. Yeah, right. I was on a plane 2 weeks later. Then he said, "quit that high-power job on the East Coast and move to Alaska." Yeah, right. I moved there a few months later. Been together for nearly 8 years.

Bluemaxx

• Total Posts: 465
                                RE: Blind Dates Wed, 03/26/08 8:43 PM (permalink)
                                Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt and NEVER AGAIN!! Thankfully, I am married now but boy, did I have some deuzzies (sp?)!! I often wondered why good friends thought it so important to firmly believe that they new what their friends wanted and needed?? Blind Dates never worked for me. Whenever I was asked what I was looking for in a girl, I would tell them that I was looking for someone to share my interests with. Once I started listing them, shat she was grabbing her purse and heading out the door. Oh well.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                  RE: Blind Dates Wed, 03/26/08 10:00 PM (permalink)
                                  I had a one of those in college, to please a friend who wanted to double-date. He was a nice enough young man but our personalities just didn't mesh. I am very grateful that Prince Charming came along when I wasn't even looking, and that we'll be married 18 years this year. The thought of dating again.......ugh

Andrea

ladygodiva

• Total Posts: 96
                                    RE: Blind Dates Sat, 08/13/11 12:08 PM (permalink)
                                    a couple years ago this man who was about twenty years older than me  kept asking me out.  my friends told me not to be so shallow and at least see what he is about.  one day I agreed to meet him at a cheap neighborhood dive, when I got there he was so excited, I was not, after I sat down he leaned in and told me that he left his wallet at home and was wondering if I could treat him (Ha, I thought you gotta be freakin kidding me.) I told him since he lived just around the corner that I would wait for him while he got his wallet. he leaned in closer and said, "You know since you work 2 jobs, how about you pay for  my meal."  (This man was an executive, lived in a mansion and wanted me to pay for his meal.) I politely declined and walked out.  he then ran behind me and said that "Oh, I just found 20 in my pocket,"  I said good you can buy your lonely self two meals and a dessert here, good day.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com