Blue Bell Ice Cream

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4724
RE: Blue Bell Ice Cream 2005/02/05 12:39:06 (permalink)
Ate some in Texas. Thought it was heavenly. Regret they don't sell it in Oregon.
bkporter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Blue Bell Ice Cream 2005/04/21 13:07:17 (permalink)
Does any know closest location to Raleigh, NC that sells Blue Bell ice cream? Thanks.
skylar0ne
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 473
RE: Blue Bell Ice Cream 2005/04/21 13:58:41 (permalink)
bk-I am in China Grove, and have been getting Blue Bell ice cream at both the Salisbury and Concord Super Walmart stores. Those stores also carry Blue Bunny - the no sugar added Burgandy Cherry is really good. But my favorite has to be the Blue Bell Banana Pudding. Check your Walmart freezer.
Almisa
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Blue Bell Ice Cream 2005/04/26 00:37:10 (permalink)
Blue Bell is okay, just okay. It obviously has the home-town advantage here in Houston. I'm sure it's a sentimental favorite, but I've had lots better (Ben & Jerry's, Starbuck's, Howard Johnson's coffee). One advantage is that it's very cheap. Pints regularly go on special for $1.
olphart
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: Blue Bell Ice Cream 2005/07/05 22:19:35 (permalink)
I’m in trouble big time! I just had a taste of Blue Bell Key Lime Pie ice cream, and I am instantly addicted! It tastes just like the real pie, and it even has chunks of graham cracker crust in it.

Methinks my diet just died.
dmartin99
Junior Burger
RE: Blue Bell Ice Cream 2005/08/15 14:37:37 (permalink)
Ok, first there are two different companys. One is Wells Blue Bunny and the other is Blue Bell. Reading some of the comments on here I wasn't sure if everyone knew that. They are extremely different. Blue Bunny is found mainly in Walmarts across the U.S. and they do have little snack boxes found in some convenient stores also. They also make Walmarts ice cream for them. I believe it is called Great Value. That is why when you go to a Walmart there is so much Blue Bunny in it.

Blue Bell is based out of Brenham, Tx. There is also a manurfacturing plant in Broken Arrow, OK and Sylacaga, AL. From there it is distributed to different branches that distribute it to the local supermarkets. A couple of differences in the two companies is that Blue Bell uses better ingredients, thus the higher cost, and Blue Bell distributes the ice cream itself. Blue Bunny has the local Walmart stocker doing it for them. Thus Blue Bells ice cream will only be handled by Blue Bell employees insuring the quality.

I have worked for Blue Bell for over 5 years and do get to eat a lot. We also try different brands of ice cream too. There is a huge difference in taste out there between flavors. Everyone has there opinion, but there is a reason we are the #3 ice cream in the country even though we are not even close to being national. We are simply the best. If we aren't in an area where you live we are trying to get there. It just takes time to insure that you are getting the best ice cream. We are slowly growing every year. I can't tell you where we will be next because I don't even find out until right before it happens. Blue Bell has a very informative website if you have other questions. www.bluebell.com

As to why we make some flavors sometimes and not others. Some are actually seasonal. Depending on the ingredients. Some just don't sell enough to make year round. We have lots of flavors that we make for 3 months and then off for 3 months. We'd love to make them all year round, but we only have so much space in the freezers at the supermarkets. If you love Blue Bell and are in a newer area you may only have 1 door of space for flavors. Therefore you don't get a lot of flavor selection. Here in Texas we usually have 2 or 3 doors of space and can get a lot more flavors in there. Just be patient and our space will grow in your area and we'll get those flavors to you. I hope that answered some questions. Keep buying Blue Bell.
Lucky Bishop
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Blue Bell Ice Cream 2005/08/15 16:42:09 (permalink)
Dmartin: Yeah, there's been regular confusion of Blue Bell and Blue Bunny ice cream throughout Roadfood, I'm afraid. I'm still very puzzled by the claims that Blue Bunny is a quality ice cream, because the Wells Blue Bunny stuff I've had (both when I lived in Texas and New Mexico and now that I live in Massachusetts) has been just barely a half-step above the store-brand stuff in the bricks. I guess they must have different quality grades around the country, and you can only get the good stuff in a few places.

I've been looking seriously at the "four half-gallons for $89" deal on the website, and will probably indulge soon. If you think about it, that's a relative bargain: it works out to only $5.56 a pint, and that's less than $2 more than a pint of Ben and Jerry's. And there are Blue Bell flavors I really miss!
dmartin99
Junior Burger
RE: Blue Bell Ice Cream 2005/08/15 18:51:12 (permalink)
Lucky Bishop, the four half-gallons for $89 isn't much of a bargain as far I'm concerned. But you have to do what you have to do. I know the President gets it shipped to him at the White House. Unfortunately for you I think it will take quite a while before we get up to Massachusetts. I think Charlotte, NC is the closest we get to you currently.

As for Blue Bunny being a high quality ice cream, I would strongly disagree. I've never met anybody that thinks that, but apparently somebody likes it or they would be out of business.

Another thing that some of you may not know about that buy other brands is that most likely you aren't getting a half gallon anymore. Most brands have switched to 1.75 quarts instead and you can't hardly tell the difference unless you read the label. Blue Bell is still and plans to always be a half gallon. I know for sure that Breyers and Dryers/Edys (it's called Dryers in some parts of the country and Edys in the other part) have switched to the 1.75 quart carton. By the way, those are the #1 and 2 ice creams based on sales in the U.S., but they are distributed nationally.

Another thing for those that don't understand why Homemade Vanilla is our #1 flavor. You have to add up about the next 15 or so flavors to get what we sell in Homemade Vanilla. That's crazy.
wolfpack77
Junior Burger
RE: Blue Bell Ice Cream 2005/08/29 12:00:05 (permalink)
I am looking for Blue Bell Key Lime Pie ice cream. My parent's saw it at the Sam's Club in Charlotte about a week ago and when I went there Saturday there was none left. I think it is a seasonal flavor. Will I have to wait to get more??
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Blue Bell Ice Cream 2005/08/29 12:19:35 (permalink)
Some flavors are seasonal(Key Lime) so tells my grocer. Also, Blue Bell has so many different flavors and an alotted amount of freezer space they try to rotate flavors. It'll be back.
wolfpack77
Junior Burger
RE: Blue Bell Ice Cream 2005/08/29 12:31:29 (permalink)
Thanks Rusty246. I guess I will just have to keep looking out for it. In the meantime, I will start trying more of the flavors.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Blue Bell Ice Cream 2005/08/29 13:17:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wolfpack77

Thanks Rusty246. I guess I will just have to keep looking out for it. In the meantime, I will start trying more of the flavors.

If you like chocolate cover cherries, try Blue Bell's version.
b_b
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Blue Bell Ice Cream 2005/09/26 21:26:11 (permalink)
Key Lime pie is back out, for a limited time. The vault(freezer) in Charlotte has about 1000 units left. Peanut Butter cup hits the shelves this week also. On another note, Bi-Lo's are at 98% in sets, so check your local Bi-Lo. Retails are $5.79 for brown rim, and $5.59 for gold rim. (ad breaks Oct.5th also) should be a hot retail.
laytonj1
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: Blue Bell Ice Cream 2005/09/26 22:04:35 (permalink)
Has anyone tried the Birthday Cake flavor? I'm intrigued... I know that Mayfield makes a Birthday Cake flavor as well. Are they similar?
b_b
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Blue Bell Ice Cream 2005/09/27 03:30:19 (permalink)
My kids just had the B-Day cake last night, and love the large pieces of cake and the sprinkles. I've heard that Mayfield's tastes gritty, more like a cotton candy.
IceCreamGirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Blue Bell Ice Cream 2005/09/27 03:56:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pogo

I like Blue Bell better than any other except Ben and Jerry's. But it is a lot more inexpensive than B&J's also.

My favorite? Homemade Vanilla. It really does taste like good ole fashioned made-at-home vanilla.

I prefer The "Homemade Vanilla with Strawberries" flavor, and "Birthday Cake", although they once had "Pretzel Caramel Crunch" and that was my ultimate favorite. <sigh> Where did that falvor go to?
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1