Blue Smoke (New York)

Author
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
2004/09/20 12:53:43 (permalink)

Blue Smoke (New York)

Forgive me if there's another thread on this place, but I couldn't find one.

This past weekend, I ate at Blue Smoke (116 E. 27th Street, between Lexington and Park avenues) for the first time. Blue Smoke is a Manhattan ribs place owned by Danny Meyer, a chef whose name that might be familiar to some of you. Unlike his other restaurants, this one is modestly priced (relatively speaking -- we came in at about $32 a person, plus tip).

Armed with a full understanding that discussing New York City BBQ is somewhat like discussing the best bagels in Des Moines (no offense to any Iowans), I really enjoyed it. In fact, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would, because the initial reviews were so bad when it opened more than a year ago. Apparently, it has improved.

Three of us had KC style ribs (they also have Memphis style), which I thought were quite tasty and moist. I entered the place wanting to try the KC ribs, and tried in vain to persuade someone else to get the Memphis style.

My wife had shrimp creole which she loved. A fifth person had a BBQ chicken that she liked very much.

As far as sides...I'm the only one who liked the mac and cheese; it was too creamy for the others. The collard greens and mashed potatoes were good if not necessarily memorable. I didn't eat the brown beans, but heard no complaints.

We ordered a dessert sampler afterward...and I also had my own piece of banana cream pie. I thought the latter was good, but everyone else seemed to think it was much better than I did. But, no doubt, I liked it.

Downstairs, by the way, is a small blues club. We went there for a drink while awaiting our table. We were tempted to stay for a show after dinner, but one of the folks in our group was a 14-year-old, and it was agreed all around that she'd get too fidgety.

The PS is that everyone else walked out feeling overly stuffed, but I felt great even though I clearly ate more food than anyone. I was kind of surprised. Then, around 2 a.m. -- four hours after my meal -- all of a sudden my stomach said, "Hey, numbskull. Don't eat that much." But, I only felt that way for around 15 minutes or so and fell back asleep. Definitely worth it.

You can read more at www.bluesmoke.com

3 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15278
    RE: Blue Smoke (New York) 2004/09/20 14:20:00 (permalink)
    Spudnut Good review...but add a couple of things. Location and website if they have one AND prices (at least ballpark ) Thanks for the writeup
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Blue Smoke (New York) 2004/09/20 14:32:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Spudnut Good review...but add a couple of things. Location and website if they have one AND prices (at least ballpark ) Thanks for the writeup

Done. Thanks.
    Chumley
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: Blue Smoke (New York) 2004/09/20 14:36:52 (permalink)
    Spudnut,

Sounds like I am due for another visit. I was there about a year and a half ago and I was dissappointed. Still, I am a big Danny Meyer fan and I was hoping that it would get better with time.

I still prefer Daisy Mae's BBQ but it's not an option on weekends or if you actually want to sit down. Blue Smoke is my second choice in NYC. And I was a big Pearson's fan when they were in LIC but I really didn't care for their new East Side restaurant.

It will be real interesting, however, to see how Dinosaur BBQ is able to translate their upstate success when they open up in NYC in late October. So far as I'm concerned, their Syracuse restaurant is BBQ Mecca for anyone wanting real BBQ north of the Mason-Dixon line!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1