The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Boar's Head Hot Dogs

gschwim

• Total Posts: 113
Boar's Head Hot Dogs Sun, 12/19/04 1:55 AM (permalink)
In the NYC area, my favorite hot dog is Boar's Head, with natural casing, especially grilled or deep-fried, with coney sauce, mustard and onions. Anyone else like Boar's Head?

ohman

• Total Posts: 262
    RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Sun, 12/19/04 6:54 AM (permalink)
    They are pretty good. I prefer Kayem's though.

jerseygirl127

• Total Posts: 454
      RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Sun, 12/19/04 7:11 AM (permalink)
      YES YES YES.. and i just found a 'mini mart' ( what they are called out here-- basically a gas station with a store in side where you can get sandwiches.. crazy hoosiers...) that sells boars head cold cuts ... they are AWESOME... i missed good cold cuts (which is another word that seems to be foreign to hoosiers-- they call it lunch meat-- hehe) and their roast beef.. a beautiful thing.. nice and red but not still mooing-- and tastes GREAT!! a thing of beauty....

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
        RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Sun, 12/19/04 8:03 AM (permalink)
        Boar's Head is a great frank. I'm referring to the all beef version with the natural casing. I haven't tried the beef/pork dog yet. This dog typifies the New York/New Jersey kosher style hot dog, and is, in my opinion, the best all beef dog with casing that you can buy in a supermarket in Jersey. My three favorites are Usinger's, Best's, and Boar's Head. I even had a taste test with these three brands (plus Sabrett) last week when I received my shipment of Usinger's from Milwaukee.

Usinger's aren't available in my area and Best's are only available at supermarkets in the skinless version. I'm fortunate in that I live fairly close to the Best factory and am able to purchase their natural casing beef franks. Sabrett natural casing dogs are rare, but available in a few choice locations from time to time.

I grilled these four dogs last week and compared them, topping them with mustard only. Usinger's is far and away the best. Too bad that they aren't available around here. This may be the best hot dog available anywhere. It's hard for me to pick between Usinger's and Thumann's. But it's like apples and oranges because Thumann's is a different style of dog. German style beef and pork, rather than the spicier all beef. But each dog is the best of it's type.

Boar's Head and Best's are very similar in taste and are actually closer to the New York/New Jersey/Chicago style than Usinger's. This style features a beefy taste with garlic and paprika dominating. There is little or no smoke flavor (smoke is more predominant in dogs containing pork and/or veal) and the dogs are fairly long and thin. Usinger's is shorter and thicker than dogs in this style and features a more smoky flavor than is typical. It also contains esoteric spices that you don't usually find in this type of dog. I think it works well, and I like these dogs so much that I order them a few times a year. Everyone that I know who has tried them loves them. But someone used to a more traditional interpretation of this style may prefer Best's, Boars Head, or Sabrett.

Best's and Boars Head were very similar as I said, but I think I preferred Best's just a little. A slightly wider range of flavors and spices. I was a little surprised because last time I compared these dogs, I preferred Boar's Head. But I think this was because the pack purchased was fresh, while the Best's dogs were in the freezer for awhile and probably lost some of their flavor. This time, everything was consumed right after being purchased without being frozen.

Sabrett was a good dog, but not as good as the other 3. For some reason, this dog doesn't taste as good on the outside grill. People have told me that they are made for cooking in water, and this may be so. The dog (about 8 to a pound) is fairly limp and mushy. The hot dog places that griddle cook these dogs (Papaya King, Gray's, Katz's) use a smaller version that has a tougher skin and consistency. This smaller version is outstanding on the griddle.

Boar's Head has a wide distribution. Although they are not national yet, they are available in many places across the country. Even in my neck of the woods, hot dog rich North Jersey, they are the best natural casing beef dog you can get in a supermarket. And their other meats are outstanding too.

hotdogger

• Total Posts: 88
          RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Sun, 12/19/04 10:05 AM (permalink)
          Boar's Head hot dogs are on the top of my hot dog list. They taste great grilled and have a lot of flavor. I recently tried Papaya King hot dogs from the supermarket and they were very good. I agree with the previous message, Sabretts seem to be best as 'dirty water dogs'.

John Fox

RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Sun, 12/19/04 10:11 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by hotdogger

Boar's Head hot dogs are on the top of my hot dog list. They taste great grilled and have a lot of flavor. I recently tried Papaya King hot dogs from the supermarket and they were very good. I agree with the previous message, Sabretts seem to be best as 'dirty water dogs'.

Where were you able to buy Papaya King hot dogs?

fcbaldwin

• Total Posts: 388
              RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Sun, 12/19/04 10:43 AM (permalink)

I would like to be able to buy the Boar's Head beef dogs with casings, but can't find them in my area of Va. Does anyone know of a way to get them online? I've googled and don't see a place to order from.

Frank

John Fox

RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Sun, 12/19/04 11:35 AM (permalink)
                Frank,

I would try their website: http://www.boarshead.com. Click on customer service. They give you an 800 number in order to contact a retail outlet. If that doesn't work, I would look for a place near you that sells Boar's Head meats. Ask the manager to order some franks from the distributor. That's what I do. Many places carry the coldcuts, but not the franks. I've asked the person at the store near me to just order a few packages.

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
                  RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Sun, 12/19/04 12:48 PM (permalink)
                  I agree with john Fox(I usually do),Boars head are very good. 'Best' hotdogs are available in Tampa at 'Sam's Club'which is a food-oriented Wal-mart and I love them...'Sabrett's are the favorites when it comes to the dirty-water/hot dog cart experience,especially with red onions
                  God,I'm hungry!!

John Fox

RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Sun, 12/19/04 4:02 PM (permalink)
                    Hey Gary,

Are the Best hot dogs you get at the Tampa Sam's Club the Best that I was referring to (Newark, N.J.) or the Best Kosher out of Chicago? The Sam's clubs here in Jersey sell Best's Kosher. So does Wegmans. They're good, but not nearly as good as the Jersey Best.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                      RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Sun, 12/19/04 4:13 PM (permalink)
                      I have no problem finding Boar's head deli meats, but don't think I have ever seen their hot dogs. I'll look and ask at the deli next time I'm there.

fcbaldwin

• Total Posts: 388
                        RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Sun, 12/19/04 4:19 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by John Fox

Frank,

I would try their website: http://www.boarshead.com. Click on customer service. They give you an 800 number in order to contact a retail outlet. If that doesn't work, I would look for a place near you that sells Boar's Head meats. Ask the manager to order some franks from the distributor. That's what I do. Many places carry the coldcuts, but not the franks. I've asked the person at the store near me to just order a few packages.

John,
                        Thanks for the ideas. I looked at their site but it's so annoying with its flash media stuff that I gave up. BUT....I do see the cold cuts in grocery delis around so I'll ask them to order... good idea.

Frank

John Fox

RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Sun, 12/19/04 8:26 PM (permalink)
                          Another thing about Boars Head. Their beef franks were rated the best in America by David Rosengarten in his Rosengarten Report in May of 2002. Of course, it's just his opinion, but he sampled 89 hot dogs. 60% were all beef, 30% were beef and pork or beef/pork/veal, and 10% were what he called "coarse dogs" which were beef/pork and with a coarser texture and smokier flavor.

First place for "coarse dogs" was Edward's applewood smoked wieners from Virginia. I've never tasted this one.

First place for German style dogs was a tie between Schaller & Weber of New York and Liehs & Steigerwald from Syracuse, N.Y. I've had both. I don't particularly care for the spicing in the Schaller & Weber frank. Liehs & Steigerwald are excellent. Juicy, flavorful, and with an excellent spicing. Thumann's is the only dog in this style that I like more than this dog.

Boar's Head was tied for first with Lobel's for best all beef dog. Tied for second was Usinger's, Nathan's, Sabrett, and Katz's. With all beef dogs in the New York style, there are varying amounts of spiciness. Some have little, some have more, and some have a lot. Boar's Head and Lobel's are moderate; the other four have more. I love Boar's Head and Lobel's. I haven't tasted them side by side, but from what I remember, they are very similar in flavor. But Boar's Head are jucier and have a tougher casing. And they are around $5.00 a lb rather than $15.00 for Lobel's.

Boar's Head hot dogs are terrific; I just don't know why they aren't sold in many places that sell their cold cuts. Maybe I'll contact them and ask.

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                            RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Sun, 12/19/04 11:00 PM (permalink)

gschwim

RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Mon, 12/20/04 12:39 AM (permalink)
                              John Fox,

If you live in the NYC area, you can get Papaya King hot dogs from FreshDirect (http://www.freshdirect.com). Just type "Papaya King" into the Search field. Cost, $3.99 pkg., which, for a natural casing dog, is pretty good, at least in NYC.

QFan

• Total Posts: 641
                                RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Mon, 12/20/04 8:02 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by fcbaldwin

quote:
                                Originally posted by John Fox

Frank,

John,
                                Thanks for the ideas. I looked at their site but it's so annoying with its flash media stuff that I gave up. BUT....I do see the cold cuts in grocery delis around so I'll ask them to order... good idea.

Frank

The Publix grocery chain in the Southeast carries Boar's Head franks on a regular basis (as well as their deli meats). I seem to remember that the Giant stores in the mid-Atlantic used to carry some of the Boar's Head products. Don't know if they had the franks though.
                                QFan
                                Bonita Springs, FL

avk2

• Total Posts: 31
                                  RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Tue, 12/21/04 12:27 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by gschwim

John Fox,

If you live in the NYC area, you can get Papaya King hot dogs from FreshDirect (http://www.freshdirect.com). Just type "Papaya King" into the Search field. Cost, $3.99 pkg., which, for a natural casing dog, is pretty good, at least in NYC.

IN Westchester NY they are carried by DeCicco in Pelham, N. Rocheelle\Eastchester, Scarsdale etc. Somehwat blander than
                                  regular Sabrett Natural casing, that others state is the mfr.
                                  said dogs

Rustywolf

• Total Posts: 176
                                    RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Wed, 01/5/05 2:09 PM (permalink)
                                    Egged on by this topic, I searched for and found Boar's Head Natural Casing dogs and grilled these long beauties on a stovetop surface until the skin browned and then "popped." First time I ever had them, and have to rate them as excellent.

Very, very close to the Gray's Papaya dogs I remember, with the tell-tale "snap" and chewy end tips (that must be snipped apart) that roasted and crisped up just perfect.

Spicewise, they were very mild, with just an undercurrent of garlic that recalled to mind some Kosher all-beef brands, but the dog's flavor really just hints of it. If I had to precisely liken this style dog to anything, it would be the all-beef Kosher dogs some of you might have once found at a Long Island Jewish butcher shop — the ones all strung together in the display case.

Appearancewise, these are smoky brownn in color. They come seven to the package and are at least an inch longer than the average bun.

My daughter, who hates change (we usually grill Best dogs) ate three! and pronounced them "the best ever." I'd have to agree, although I once chargrilled some larger Best hot dogs that came in a five-pound package that knocked my hat off they were so juicy and good. A summer grill-off is definitely in order.

- Rusty

John Fox

RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Wed, 01/5/05 8:37 PM (permalink)
                                      Why wait until summer? I grill year round. I'd say it's very close between Best's and Boars Head. Last time I compared them I preferred Best's. But this is the Best's natural casing dog which is not availale at stores. You have to go to the plant to get them.

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 890
                                        RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Thu, 01/6/05 10:33 AM (permalink)
                                        Picked up a package of the Boar's Head dogs at Publix last night and am looking forward to the comparison with usual choices (Nathan's & Sabrett).

gschwim

RE: Boar's Head Hot Dogs Sat, 01/8/05 6:32 AM (permalink)
                                          This won't be much of a help to anyone outside of New York (but who outside of New York knows Papaya King, anyway?), but I was surprised to find Papaya King hot dogs for sale in the Gristedes Market on E. 86 St., just west of Lexington Ave. (not the one on E. 86 & First Ave; I've only found them at the one by Lex. intersetingly, as New Yorkers also know, the actual, original Papaya King is just one block away, on E. 86th & Third Ave.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com