Boars Head Cold Cuts!

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18652
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/05/13 11:04:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cool one

all cold cuts are made with chemicals


I believe you posted that once before and your claim was refuted amazingly well by Redtressed.
#31
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/05/13 12:42:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by cool one

all cold cuts are made with chemicals


I believe you posted that once before and your claim was refuted amazingly well by Redtressed.


Perhaps "cool one" is speaking of things at the molecular level. There is a whole mess of carbon, oxygen, iron sodium, etc in your average ham.
#32
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18652
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/05/13 12:53:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by cool one

all cold cuts are made with chemicals


I believe you posted that once before and your claim was refuted amazingly well by Redtressed.


Perhaps "cool one" is speaking of things at the molecular level. There is a whole mess of carbon, oxygen, iron sodium, etc in your average ham.

Ah, that is always a possibility. I hadn't considered it.
#33
cool one
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Joined: 2005/04/29 21:24:00
  • Location: riverhead, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/05/14 23:30:09 (permalink)
Im not a health freak but i am just saying for example ham
If you dont add sodium nitrate (chemical) you get roast pork Brown
If you add it you get ham (pink).
I guess cold cuts are better than mcdonalds.
thats all
#34
Danmel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
  • Joined: 2004/07/25 19:04:00
  • Location: Long Island, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/05/18 19:09:33 (permalink)
I reallly like the Boars Head cracked Peppercorn turkey- it has just a little bite and it is moist wihtout being too wet. I also like their Tavern Ham which is smoky- like a polish ham. I use the raodst prok to make cuban sandwiches. Yum!
#35
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1511
  • Joined: 2000/09/19 04:01:00
  • Location: Fresno, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/06/20 18:46:54 (permalink)
Anyone looking for Boar's Head Products (or Taylor's Pork Roll for that matter) in California can find them at Spencer's Markets... I was pretty surprised at finding both these names in a local central California coast store chain...
#36
Pitts
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 78
  • Joined: 2003/12/25 04:54:00
  • Location: Centralia Wa., WA
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/06/20 19:21:39 (permalink)
Where can I find Boar's Head products in Washington? The Evergreen State where else ??
#37
martymcfly
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Joined: 2005/06/30 16:20:00
  • Location: portland, OR
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/06/30 16:28:20 (permalink)
To follow up the question on Washington state, who knows where to get Boar's Head in Portland, OR?

Any help is appreciated. I haven't called a lot of places so if i find out on my own i will post but it would be great if someone here knows

thanks
#38
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2013
  • Joined: 2004/10/01 15:59:00
  • Location: Millbury, MA
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/07/06 16:25:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cool one

quote:
Originally posted by SouthHillbilly

Boar's Head is great, but it's SOOO expensive. Around here in Krogers it's $9-10/lb.

I would rather buy fillet mignon
Its ridiculos


I have noted that a lot of the "premium" coldcuts are now close to $10/lb. Are we demanding and paying for a better product, or are we paying for a "brand"?
#39
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18652
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/07/06 16:27:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pitts

Where can I find Boar's Head products in Washington? The Evergreen State where else ??

I understand that Boar's Head does not have any distributors in the Pacific Northwest.
#40
kelehr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Joined: 2005/07/11 00:18:00
  • Location: La Porte, TX
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/07/11 00:36:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cool one

quote:
Originally posted by the Big Ferret

We've got Boar's Head here in Virginia too and yes it's expensive.

Expensive and loaded with white powder chemicals msg
that will harm you
As far as that "white powder", 1 in 20,000 people actually have a reaction to MSG. Furthermore, MSG is everywhere, in our veggies, our bodies, ect. There is the same amount of MSG in a head of lettuce as there is in a whole Boar's Head Ham. Enjoy & if you are still worried, Boar's Head will furnish you a list of MSG Free items. www.boarshead.com
#41
jntavern
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Joined: 2005/07/17 15:18:00
  • Location: granger, IN
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/07/18 12:43:14 (permalink)
I am wanting to know where I can get Boar's Head products in Indiana in the South Bend area. I see someone posted about that a while ago and she said there is a place somewhere around here but did not say where! Can anyone help? I am from NY and am desperately missing this line of meats and cheeses!
#42
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18652
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/07/18 13:18:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jntavern

I am wanting to know where I can get Boar's Head products in Indiana in the South Bend area. I see someone posted about that a while ago and she said there is a place somewhere around here but did not say where! Can anyone help? I am from NY and am desperately missing this line of meats and cheeses!

I don't know about South Bend, but if you call Indiana Deli Provisions, which is in the Indianapolis area, at 317-824-0748 you can probably find out.
#43
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
  • Joined: 2004/02/01 22:32:00
  • Location: Amherst, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/08/08 23:29:07 (permalink)
Just had the Boar's Head Hot Ham for the first time and it was absolutely the best I have ever tasted!
#44
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1511
  • Joined: 2000/09/19 04:01:00
  • Location: Fresno, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/09/07 11:54:23 (permalink)
Here's an update for California availability for Boar's Head products.. Catalano's Mkt in Fresno recently added them to their store.
#45
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1336
  • Joined: 2004/08/19 21:00:00
  • Location: Albany, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/11/12 16:39:08 (permalink)
There is an Italian grocery/deli near me. Currently the only cold cuts they feature are Boar's Head, a fine brand, indeed. I can't walk into the place without wistfully going down memory lane and remembering the place as it was years ago though.

Years ago one would open the door and be bowled over by the wonderful mingling aromas of hundreds of Old World treats the shop was famous for. Most of the items in the shop were imported from Italy and Greece. This was the place to get your imported cold cuts, olive oil by the half gallon, pasta machines, true Italian cheeses, herbs and much more. Shopping here was an experience and a sensory delight.

Today one opens the door and finds no welcoming aroma, but is met with a rather sterile modern environment. The place is a shadow of its former self. Thankfully, you can still get home made Italian sausage (still made on the premises), the odd pasta or espresso maker, imported olives and such. The main things missing are the imported Italian hams and cold cuts.

As good as Boar's Head is, I do not think it can hold a candle to the Old World imports. Come to think of it I have not seen any Old World imported meats lately which makes me suspect that our government is "protecting" us from them. Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone know why imported cold cuts are off the radar screen?
#46
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/11/12 19:32:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost
Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone know why imported cold cuts are off the radar screen?


I agree that an aura of sterility has replaced the deli sounds and smells of yesterday. I also recall a wooden floored place with hanging sausages, salamis and cheeses. Now everything is glass and stainless steel. Maybe it is the health department.

As for a lack of imports, I wonder if it has to do with the fact that many US made products are close enough to imported ones, and far less costly, making it impractical for small stores to stock the imports. I recently had some aged provolone from wisconsin that was very good, and almost indistinguishable from far more expensive imported versions. I can still get some imported meats and cheeses at some of the better delis in my area, but you are right, they are not as common as they used to be.
#47
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1336
  • Joined: 2004/08/19 21:00:00
  • Location: Albany, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/11/12 20:17:46 (permalink)
Nice post Tony,

You are right about the hams. It has taken a while, but some of the very best southern smokehouses have figured out how to do premium prosciutto hams. They just do what they always have done, but age the ham without smoking it charging twice the normal price for a smoked country ham, but about half the price of a true Italian prosciutto. Go figure
#48
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18652
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/11/12 20:30:35 (permalink)
The Italian market where I shop carries some Boar's Head products, but most of the meats, cheeses, etc., are from Italy, and that includes everything from prociutto di parma to salumis, and cheeses ranging from Parmagiano Reggiano to buffalo mozzarella. It smells good in there.
#49
Leemart
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Joined: 2003/06/01 01:54:00
  • Location: Merritt Island, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/11/13 00:38:56 (permalink)
You guys can praise Boar's Head all you want, but PLEASE don't anybody try to tell me that their Pastrami and Corned Beef is flavorful. I grew up in Miami and became addicted to the Kosher Restaurant versions of sandwiches made with the "real stuff". Unfortunately for me, that was about a hundred years ago, and now on the central east coast of Florida I haven't been able to find that wonderful product for decades. The politically correct versions of these meats today are laughable.
#50
jbryan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
  • Joined: 2005/11/05 15:56:00
  • Location: Vancouver, WA
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2005/11/16 20:25:41 (permalink)
You get what you pay for, and Boars head is worth every penny.
#51
imsofull
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
  • Joined: 2004/03/28 01:45:00
  • Location: san diego, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2006/01/13 00:08:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer_4

Here's an update for California availability for Boar's Head products.. Catalano's Mkt in Fresno recently added them to their store.


We live in San Diego and the Ralph's Supermarket near us now carries
Boars Head cold cuts

#52
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
  • Joined: 2005/08/16 08:20:00
  • Location: Elsmere, KY
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2006/01/14 09:13:31 (permalink)
In the Northern Kentucky area, the full line of Boar's Head meats can be obtained at Kremer's Market in Crescent Springs (link below).

Kremer's is a terrific place. They bake their own pies and cakes and heavenly flans. They also make their own fudge which is, reportedly wonderful ("reportedly" because I'm trying to cut down on sweet stuff). They also offer locally grown produce in summer and fall, so you're more likely to get a sweet, tasty tomato rather than the bland, mealy things they sell in supermarkets. We've also purchased the best ribeyes we've had in years at Kremer's. They sell regionally made products and imported products. Kremer's also has a small garden store. They've recently built an extension on and my understanding is that they plan to expand the kitchen area. They already produce their own potato salad, artichoke and hearts of palm salad, and cranberry/rice salad. I hope they'll create some other delicacies (sort of like Wild Oats) but they may intend to expand the cooking classes they already offer.

www.kremersmarket.com/

Over the river, Boar's Head is (of course!) available at Jungle Jim's.

Our favorite Boar's Head meats are the Tavern Ham, Honey Maple Turkey, Cracke Pepper Turkey, and the Sausalito Turkey. I also like their turkey pastrami but BillC (DH) isn't so crazy about it.

Kremer's also sells an outstanding Apricot glazed ham which I had assumed was Boar Head's but I don't see it listed in their Nutritional Information brochure. Wouldn't surprise me if Kremer's bakes it themselves.
#53
jeepguy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1555
  • Joined: 2004/03/29 04:29:00
  • Location: chicago, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2006/01/14 10:35:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by anselmo1

I have lived south of the Mason Dixie line and cold cuts tend to be more expensive than where I currently live in Western New York.

I also like the Manson Nixon line term.
I always thought it was the Mason Dixon line myself, not Dixie.
#54
BillC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 119
  • Joined: 2005/07/13 22:29:00
  • Location: Elsmere, KY
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2006/01/14 13:02:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Thruthegarden

In the Northern Kentucky area, the full line of Boar's Head meats can be obtained at Kremer's Market in Crescent Springs (link below).

Kremer's is a terrific place. They bake their own pies and cakes and heavenly flans. They also make their own fudge which is, reportedly wonderful ("reportedly" because I'm trying to cut down on sweet stuff). They also offer locally grown produce in summer and fall, so you're more likely to get a sweet, tasty tomato rather than the bland, mealy things they sell in supermarkets. We've also purchased the best ribeyes we've had in years at Kremer's. They sell regionally made products and imported products. Kremer's also has a small garden store. They've recently built an extension on and my understanding is that they plan to expand the kitchen area. They already produce their own potato salad, artichoke and hearts of palm salad, and cranberry/rice salad. I hope they'll create some other delicacies (sort of like Wild Oats) but they may intend to expand the cooking classes they already offer.

www.kremersmarket.com/

Over the river, Boar's Head is (of course!) available at Jungle Jim's.

Our favorite Boar's Head meats are the Tavern Ham, Honey Maple Turkey, Cracke Pepper Turkey, and the Sausalito Turkey. I also like their turkey pastrami but BillC (DH) isn't so crazy about it.

Kremer's also sells an outstanding Apricot glazed ham which I had assumed was Boar Head's but I don't see it listed in their Nutritional Information brochure. Wouldn't surprise me if Kremer's bakes it themselves.

I must correct my wife here. Kremer's doesn't carry the full line of Boar's Head products. They have a moderate selection, all of which is good (I just don't care for turkey pastrami in general). Also, they may do some baking, but most of their baked goods are supplied by a local bakery - Servati's. This isn't a bad thing, Servati's is quite good.
#55
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
  • Joined: 2005/08/16 08:20:00
  • Location: Elsmere, KY
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2006/01/15 17:01:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BillC

I must correct my wife here. Kremer's doesn't carry the full line of Boar's Head products. They have a moderate selection, all of which is good (I just don't care for turkey pastrami in general). Also, they may do some baking, but most of their baked goods are supplied by a local bakery - Servati's. This isn't a bad thing, Servati's is quite good.



I stand corrected. Their baked goods do come from Servati's but they do indeed make their own fudge.
#56
JerseyJohn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Joined: 2006/02/01 11:28:00
  • Location: West Milford, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2006/02/01 12:01:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by cool one

all cold cuts are made with chemicals


I believe you posted that once before and your claim was refuted amazingly well by Redtressed.


Perhaps "cool one" is speaking of things at the molecular level. There is a whole mess of carbon, oxygen, iron sodium, etc in your average ham.

Ah, that is always a possibility. I hadn't considered it.
#57
JerseyJohn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Joined: 2006/02/01 11:28:00
  • Location: West Milford, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2006/02/01 12:18:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JerseyJohn

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by cool one

all cold cuts are made with chemicals


I believe you posted that once before and your claim was refuted amazingly well by Redtressed.


Perhaps "cool one" is speaking of things at the molecular level. There is a whole mess of carbon, oxygen, iron sodium, etc in your average ham.

Ah, that is always a possibility. I hadn't considered it.

Redtressed did nothing to refute the MSG question, those certifications by associations are a bunch of BS. Boars Head does use MSG(Monosodium Glutamate) in many of their products, just read the ingredient label.MGS is dangerous, many people are allergic and don't even know it. Read Kevin Truedreau's book. There are other books also warning of the dangers of MSG.
BoarsHead also has a higher sugar content than many other coldcuts. If their products and ingredients are so great, why do they use MSG? What BoarsHead is great at is advertising and marketing their products to the uninformed dunderhead public. Overrated and overpriced.
#58
LindaW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 338
  • Joined: 2005/05/10 08:35:00
  • Location: Watervliet, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2006/02/01 13:36:52 (permalink)
Hey Greyghost...were you in Roma's...I live very close the the Latham store...now they do roast their own Turkey and Roast Beef...but I too miss the old time stores...I grew up down in Nassau County...and miss even the deli counters at the supermarkets....where you could get great pickled herring in cream sauce...the counterman would slice fillets that were swimming in the sauce to bite size pieces and then add extra onions for no extra charge...up here all we have is jarred...yuck....or the Italian grocery...with all the hams and cheeses hanging up to dry...and the fresh pastas out.....and this one really gets me......jewish style (doesn't have to be kosher) delis....so hard to get it up here....good corned beef, pastrami, tongue....and the smoked fishes...not just lox...but sable and sturgeon....oh well...guess I'll have to make a roadtrip......Boar's Head products are very good....but oh to get the real thing in house made...now that's special
#59
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
  • Status: offline
RE: Boars Head Cold Cuts! 2006/02/01 13:49:10 (permalink)
quote:
Read Kevin Truedreau's book.

What BoarsHead is great at is advertising and marketing their products to the uninformed dunderhead public.


They are cold cuts...not health food.

I find it quite ironic you would recommend reading such a book and then accuse others of being "uninformed dunderheads".

#60
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1