Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
sk bob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1801
  • Joined: 2005/12/29 17:18:00
  • Location: South Daytona, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/08 21:19:15 (permalink)
IF Bobby Flay himself made my $10. burger, I might go. just because he lent his name to a place doesn't mean it's good.
#31
tommyeats
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 277
  • Joined: 2006/06/12 15:32:00
  • Location: north jersey
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/09 13:08:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sk bob

IF Bobby Flay himself made my $10. burger, I might go. just because he lent his name to a place doesn't mean it's good.

are you of the opinion that he can cook a burger better than the 300 or so cooks that he has working for him?
#32
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1511
  • Joined: 2000/09/19 04:01:00
  • Location: Fresno, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/09 13:49:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by spud

check out a show called; Glutton for Punishment with Bob Blumer

"ny street vendor" episode on food channel.

not anywhere as easy as it looks.


you want to talk about someone really annoying who isn't a chef? Bob Blumer...ugh!
#33
seatown76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 379
  • Joined: 2007/08/15 19:00:00
  • Location: Rhinelander, WI
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/09 14:02:40 (permalink)
Quick question has anybody been here to evaluate?
#34
lono37
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Joined: 2004/06/27 22:42:00
  • Location: Port Jefferson, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/11 23:31:40 (permalink)
I've eaten there now twice with my wife and we've enjoyed it, with a couple of caveats. First time I had the Santa Fe burger (chilies & queso), the other night I had the L.A. burger (guacamole and watercress). I wasn't really expecting to like watercress on my burger, but it added a really nice peppery flavor. Guacamole was excellent, as I would expect from Bobby Flay. My wife had the Bobby Blue (blue cheese, bacon, tomato) both times, and we twice tried the excellent fries, crispy onion rings, and really cold double chocolate shake.

Although they supposedly only cook the burgers medium or better, both times mine were medium leaning towards medium rare (almost too rare for my wife) and were pink and very juicy. All the food comes out piping hot and the servers have been really nice when we've been there, although I hear it can get crazy at times. We had no wait either time, which may be a bad sign for Bobby.

There's a rack of condiments in squeeze bottles that includes ketchup, chipotle ketchup, jalapeno sauce, "burger" sauce (like a steak sauce) and mustard. You also get a dipping sauce with the fries that seems to be mayo and some kind of chili pepper or ground chipotle.

The cons: the burger seems a little small for what you pay ($7.50) although in reality they're plenty big for the average human. It can get pricey; a burger, fries, rings, and shake will run you about $19. That said, it's a tasty burger and well prepared, in my opinion.

#35
pimple2
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
  • Joined: 2003/07/23 17:05:00
  • Location: ithaca, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/12 19:12:03 (permalink)
Spud,

What is the dish that you would like to cook for your friends? What is the one dish that is your hallmark, your special gift, the one you would like to be remembered for? People have one thing that turns out especially well in their hands. Which one is yours?
#36
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
  • Joined: 2006/09/08 07:12:00
  • Location: Miami, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/12 19:15:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lono37

I've eaten there now twice with my wife and we've enjoyed it, with a couple of caveats. First time I had the Santa Fe burger (chilies & queso), the other night I had the L.A. burger (guacamole and watercress). I wasn't really expecting to like watercress on my burger, but it added a really nice peppery flavor. Guacamole was excellent, as I would expect from Bobby Flay. My wife had the Bobby Blue (blue cheese, bacon, tomato) both times, and we twice tried the excellent fries, crispy onion rings, and really cold double chocolate shake.

Although they supposedly only cook the burgers medium or better, both times mine were medium leaning towards medium rare (almost too rare for my wife) and were pink and very juicy. All the food comes out piping hot and the servers have been really nice when we've been there, although I hear it can get crazy at times. We had no wait either time, which may be a bad sign for Bobby.

There's a rack of condiments in squeeze bottles that includes ketchup, chipotle ketchup, jalapeno sauce, "burger" sauce (like a steak sauce) and mustard. You also get a dipping sauce with the fries that seems to be mayo and some kind of chili pepper or ground chipotle.

The cons: the burger seems a little small for what you pay ($7.50) although in reality they're plenty big for the average human. It can get pricey; a burger, fries, rings, and shake will run you about $19. That said, it's a tasty burger and well prepared, in my opinion.




Thank you for posting. Seriously.
#37
pimple2
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
  • Joined: 2003/07/23 17:05:00
  • Location: ithaca, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/12 19:23:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

I would go. Note the Burger Dome if you don't use one of those get one. Once you make a cheese burger on a grill or in a cast iron skillet wwith a dome you never do it any other way...Russ


Searched Google for "Burger Dome" w/o success. What is this device, please? Where can you get one? Thanks in advance.
#38
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2165
  • Joined: 2004/08/01 15:15:00
  • Location: New York, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/12 21:28:17 (permalink)
I don't know what the correct name for the burger dome is either, but you can see one on this video clip about Bobby's Burger Palace from the Long Island newspaper, Newsday that was originally posted in the thread on the fast food section:
http://www.newsday.com/services/newspaper/printedition/tuesday/partii/ny-exmain5763236jul15,0,1583140.story
Several burger domes are seen on the grill at the 1 minute 55 second mark. It resembles a cover for a pot. If you have a pot that has a high dome cover, you could use that rather than buying one. I have seen this device used in many NYC Metro area diners, etc. It helps melt the cheese.
#39
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
  • Location: Xenia
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/15 20:01:27 (permalink)
A burger dome it put over the burger after you flip it the first time. It creates a little oven for the patties and kind of steams them. It also cures the problem of inconsistent cheese melting. It looks like a pot lid only much taller. One can be found at Wasserstrom Restaurant supplies for about $7.00. Work great in a cast iron skillet however getting 2 of them in a skillet can only be done in a large one. My largest skillet can fit 3. They also work great on a BBQ grill or electric griddle. A picture can be found here https://www.wasserstromcompany.com/Image.asp?Image=102200&Cont=&cID=999. Cheese melting and juiciness of final product is second to none. Once you use this method I doubt you will go back to your previous method...Russ
#40
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
  • Joined: 2001/11/30 21:45:00
  • Location: Ormond Beach, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/16 11:53:02 (permalink)
Isn't Jackson Hole the "Father of the Burger Dome?"

It makes a very juicy burger, but it still does not give it the tase you get by using a char broiler IMHO.
#41
Buddy Dek
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 133
  • Joined: 2007/03/19 13:51:00
  • Location: Long Island, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/20 19:25:36 (permalink)

My first job, in high school was cooking 15cent hamburgers at a burger joint on long island. The dehydrated onions were in a gallon can mixed with water.The onions went on the grill on top of the burgers prior to flipping. As soon as they were turned cheese and the bun bottom was added and a square" burger dome" the size of the entire grill was put on for 30- 45 seconds. This steamed all the flavors with a great cheese melt. Longer dome time, was a soggy disaster for both the bun bottom and the cheese. Buddy
#42
feeglebeegle
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Joined: 2008/08/20 14:11:00
  • Location: NYC, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/25 15:35:58 (permalink)
Oh boy, another media made hyped celebrity chef cranks out another restaurant! I don't deny Flay of any skill, I just detest the bastardization of food and cooking for ones self-importance and personal gain. A true chef is demanding on themselves and humble before others. Enjoy your "Flay Burgers"....I'll pass.
#43
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/25 15:53:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by feeglebeegle

Oh boy, another media made hyped celebrity chef cranks out another restaurant! I don't deny Flay of any skill, I just detest the bastardization of food and cooking for ones self-importance and personal gain. A true chef is demanding on themselves and humble before others. Enjoy your "Flay Burgers"....I'll pass.


This is the same mindset people apply when a musical act they like gets popular, and love turns to hate. I don't understand.

If the food is good and the price fair, what difference does it make who has their name attached? I haven't been to this place, but have been to some celebrity chef places and had great meals. I see that as good for me, and to have avoided the meal because of feelings like those described above would have cheated no one but me.
#44
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
  • Joined: 2001/11/30 21:45:00
  • Location: Ormond Beach, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/25 16:27:01 (permalink)
Flayburgers? What's the difference who makes them, if they are good, reasonable, and served in an environment that is clean. My only problem with a "Flayburger" (Feeglebeegle - it is kind of funny, but I totally disagree with you) would be if they refused to make it medium rare. I understand they won't so I won't be there. But, not for the reasons alluded to or implied by some others here.

Someone has to make a profit or there is no "Flayburger." So, why not Bobby Flay? I'm with Tony Bad on this one..I don't get it. Wish people success..Support them, if they are giving you a good product! Good for them, if their name generates investors. Don't you wish it would have happened to you?

Bastardization of a burger? How so? I say let's have more designer burgers! Give me a "Parisburger" or a Kardashianburger" I like my burgers almost raw and plain(naked)
#45
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
  • Location: Xenia
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/25 16:30:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:
Originally posted by feeglebeegle

Oh boy, another media made hyped celebrity chef cranks out another restaurant! I don't deny Flay of any skill, I just detest the bastardization of food and cooking for ones self-importance and personal gain. A true chef is demanding on themselves and humble before others. Enjoy your "Flay Burgers"....I'll pass.


This is the same mindset people apply when a musical act they like gets popular, and love turns to hate. I don't understand.

If the food is good and the price fair, what difference does it make who has their name attached? I haven't been to this place, but have been to some celebrity chef places and had great meals. I see that as good for me, and to have avoided the meal because of feelings like those described above would have cheated no one but me.


Jealousy I guess. Michael Symons place in Cleveland is in my top 5 Restaurants. I would love to go to Morimotos place. Paula Deens Lady and Sons is amazing. I am sure Flays Burger Joint is first class. How can somebody condem if they havent even tried it....Russ
#46
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2165
  • Joined: 2004/08/01 15:15:00
  • Location: New York, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/25 22:50:23 (permalink)
I have noticed that both in this thread and in a prior one in the Food Food and Chain section, that a lot of people were under the impression that Bobby Flay just licensed his name to a group of outside restauranteurs. I did eat at the first place to open out on Long Island, enjoyed my meal, and wrote about on that other thread. From what I have been able to learn, Bobby Flay and his business partners are running this restaurant and franchising operation themselves.

The message here is that much of the population will no longer patronize a restaurant associated with a name that you know a priori does not know how to cook.
#47
feeglebeegle
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Joined: 2008/08/20 14:11:00
  • Location: NYC, NY
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/27 09:27:22 (permalink)
quote:
Jealousy I guess. Michael Symons place in Cleveland is in my top 5 Restaurants. I would love to go to Morimotos place. Paula Deens Lady and Sons is amazing. I am sure Flays Burger Joint is first class. How can somebody condem if they havent even tried it....Russ


You guessed wrong, Russ. It's called a corporate sell-out. If you want to make big money, then you play the game the way the corporate hierarchy wants you too or else you're out on the street. So the choice is whether you do your own thing or sell yourself to the devil. No doubt, Flay has much personal desire which is being squashed by the big guys, but then that was his call. Why do you think so many musicians scrap the big corporate labels and do their own thing? Because it gives them the control over what they produce which is more important to them than the money. This is what real artists, true to their game, do.
#48
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/27 11:30:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by feeglebeegle

You guessed wrong, Russ. It's called a corporate sell-out. If you want to make big money, then you play the game the way the corporate hierarchy wants you too or else you're out on the street. So the choice is whether you do your own thing or sell yourself to the devil. No doubt, Flay has much personal desire which is being squashed by the big guys, but then that was his call. Why do you think so many musicians scrap the big corporate labels and do their own thing? Because it gives them the control over what they produce which is more important to them than the money. This is what real artists, true to their game, do.


But why does the prospect of someone making big money make a meal not worth eating, or music not worth hearing?

I know many cases where artists went out on their own, and made their "own" music, and it was simply something I didn't want to hear any more. Perhaps they deserve praise for doing it on their own terms, but I would no sooner turn on their music solely for that reason than I would turn off something I liked because of some "anti-corporate" philosophy.

How does one even implement such a philosophy? At what size audience or income level does one become a sell-out? How many people have to like one's food, and want them to guide or open restaurants before their food becomes non-palatable and not worth trying?

As I wrote before, this mindset seems no different than that of people who WILL eat at places routinely solely because of a name attached or some other non-food factor even when the food stinks. Either extreme confuses me...even when it comes to Roadfood. There are places listed and described here that win praise, yet I don't like. Going there solely because it is "on the list" seems like a waste of my time.

#49
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
  • Location: Xenia
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/27 12:17:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by feeglebeegle

quote:
Jealousy I guess. Michael Symons place in Cleveland is in my top 5 Restaurants. I would love to go to Morimotos place. Paula Deens Lady and Sons is amazing. I am sure Flays Burger Joint is first class. How can somebody condem if they havent even tried it....Russ


You guessed wrong, Russ. It's called a corporate sell-out. If you want to make big money, then you play the game the way the corporate hierarchy wants you too or else you're out on the street. So the choice is whether you do your own thing or sell yourself to the devil. No doubt, Flay has much personal desire which is being squashed by the big guys, but then that was his call. Why do you think so many musicians scrap the big corporate labels and do their own thing? Because it gives them the control over what they produce which is more important to them than the money. This is what real artists, true to their game, do.


So Flay is selling out because he uses fresh ground beef made to order. Instead of using frozen premade garbage cooked in a drawer. Everything in the restaurant is from fresh products. He has set forth his standards and taken risk to make hamburgers the right way instead of the fast food reheat, microvwave, over salted, prepackaged, frozen, canned way and you call him a corparate sell out. feeglebeegle get out of the drive thru of the local Burger King you are in right now drive over to Flays place and spend the $8.00 for his burger and give it a try instead of throwing rocks from afar and review the Joint and tell what you think after trying it. How can you condem a place without even trying it? Also how cant you like the Guy? I personally never heard anything bad about him in print or on TV....Russ
#50
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 875
  • Joined: 2005/12/22 15:43:00
  • Location: Colorado Springs
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/27 13:23:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

Also how cant you like the Guy? I personally never heard anything bad about him in print or on TV....Russ

Plus his wife is hot.
#51
HotDogHead
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 665
  • Joined: 2004/04/19 13:44:00
  • Location: Denver, CO
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/08/27 13:54:33 (permalink)
I have to admit, when I first watched Bobby on the Foodnetwork I was a little put off by his "arrogance". However, as he has matured, he has mellowed with age. He is very talented.
#52
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
  • Location: Xenia
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/09/04 18:35:40 (permalink)
Here is the menu for his place you decide if it is too expensive...Russ

http://bobbysburgerpalace.com/bbpmenu_0623_for%20web.pdf
#53
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
  • Joined: 2007/01/30 16:58:00
  • Location: Branchburg N.J.
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/09/04 19:01:05 (permalink)
Here Here i would love to eat at his burger joint. Flay is super talented chef if youve ever watched iron chef or any of his shows and im sure he stands behind his products all the way!!
#54
brickie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
  • Joined: 2007/03/08 11:34:00
  • Location: sterling, CT
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/09/15 15:03:01 (permalink)
The prices are VERY reasonable.
I'd love to try his place.
L.I. New York ain't cheap friend.
#55
WarToad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1859
  • Joined: 2008/03/23 19:26:00
  • Location: Minot, ND
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2008/09/15 15:08:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

Here is the menu for his place you decide if it is too expensive...Russ

http://bobbysburgerpalace.com/bbpmenu_0623_for%20web.pdf


Wow. Very reasonable prices for the location.
#56
swvadon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
  • Joined: 2010/02/21 18:09:00
  • Location: Abingdon, VA
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2010/02/21 20:38:04 (permalink)
Considering the location, that is pretty reasonable. Also, re: the fact that Bobby Flay has 'dared' to open a burger joint, to me it seems to align with his overall theme of simplified foods. I've got no problem at all with him starting a burger joint. He's got the name, why not use it? He seems to be one that takes it seriously, as opposed to just slapping his name on something to make a buck...
#57
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2010/02/22 09:06:57 (permalink)
I have been here a bunch of times, the burgers are real good...as is everything else on menu, and as others have written, the prices are not bad.
#58
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4644
  • Joined: 2000/11/20 16:52:00
  • Location: Rogue Valley
  • Status: online
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2010/02/22 09:20:44 (permalink)
has bobby ever been there while you were?
#59
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
  • Status: offline
RE: Bobby Flay 's New Burger Restaurant on L.I. 2010/02/22 10:10:33 (permalink)
bill voss

has bobby ever been there while you were?





I don't believe so, but last time I was there two customers got into a fight because one odd guy felt someone sat too close to him and threatened to beat up a guy who seemed close to 80. The situation seemed oddly close to his whole "throwdown" thing.
#60
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1