Bobby Flay vs. Ed Mitchell - BBQ rib Throwdown in Raleigh

Author
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
2009/03/15 18:56:31 (permalink)

Bobby Flay vs. Ed Mitchell - BBQ rib Throwdown in Raleigh

As I mentioned in an earlier post , Food Network's Bobby Flay came to Raleigh friday to challenge North Carolina BBQ legend Ed Mitchell to a rib Throwdown. Now first off I will mention that I developed respect for Bobby when he started his Throwdown challenge because he seemed to become much more humble. There have been instances I pulled for him as well as pulling for the challenger. 

I know what I am about to say will start a firestorm of comments because I was born and raised in North Carolina, and I grew up cooking pork Q all my life, but here goes....... I hope Bobby wins. There, I said it... let the party start with the comments. I have personal reasons for choosing Bobby over Ed, but will keep them to myself. I wish both men luck in this challenge and whomever wins will be just fine in my book. But I do have to say this.... who has valet parking at a BBQ place? 

So don't hold this against me my fellow eastern style BBQ pork lovers, and you know who you are.... just keep eating that pig and you will make it to heaven. 

Dennis in Cary

8 Replies Related Threads

'QueperMan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:Bobby Flay vs. Ed Mitchell - BBQ rib Throwdown in Raleigh 2009/03/15 19:37:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for letting us know about this, I am a big fan of Throwdown, and often find myself pulling for Bobby too.  The competitors are usually real cocky and then when Bobby shows up they act upset that food network lied to them, but I think that being selected to be on Throwdown is a better complement to them anyways.

That being said, if Bobby was going to challenge someone in a ribs showdown, he should have gone to Texas or Memphis...not Eastern NC.  North Carolina is known for their BBQ (chopped or pulled pork) and I think that a more appropriate challenge would have been a visit to the Skylight Inn, Wilber's or Lexington BBQ to face their pork BBQ or even a BBQ sandwich.

But I will definitely be looking out for it on the Food Network..
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18357
    Re:Bobby Flay vs. Ed Mitchell - BBQ rib Throwdown in Raleigh 2009/03/15 20:08:11 (permalink)
    DLnWPBrown

I hope Bobby wins. There, I said it... let the party start with the comments.

And just why should anyone react as you suggest because of your choice? Flay wins a few and loses more. He's a fine chef, and he does a terrific job on that show.

JayL
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    Re:Bobby Flay vs. Ed Mitchell - BBQ rib Throwdown in Raleigh 2009/03/15 22:51:13 (permalink)
    I don't think any Eastern NC bbq lovers will hold it against you.  Ribs have no place in traditional Eastern NC bbq...or Piedmont bbq for that matter. 

I guess Ed can cook a rib...never heard of them...and I grew up right below Wilson, NC where Ed started and just an hour east of Raleigh where Ed ended up.  Who knew?

Boddy needs to win a throwdown every now & again.

I like that show.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5067
    Re:Bobby Flay vs. Ed Mitchell - BBQ rib Throwdown in Raleigh 2009/03/15 22:54:12 (permalink)
    As they say, "may the better man win".
    Barney
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    Re:Bobby Flay vs. Ed Mitchell - BBQ rib Throwdown in Raleigh 2009/03/16 01:53:35 (permalink)
    I have had the ribs at  the Wilson NC location a few yrs back when Mr. Mitchell was there.  We'd make the 3 hr drive down to get there 1st thing he opened to get the ribs....not for me so much but for my son-in-law who absolutely loved them! 

The BBQ was something else - heavenly pork with a spicy sweet vinegar based sauce!  Ed Mitchell was always there working.  Never had any better BBQ and I miss it terribly!  I also like the "throwdown" show but think they missed it by not doing regular east Carolina barbeque rather than the ribs.

I've not tried the new place in Raleigh due to extra driving but when it warms up, will plan a trip to The Pit.  Barney
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:Bobby Flay vs. Ed Mitchell - BBQ rib Throwdown in Raleigh 2009/03/16 02:44:11 (permalink)
    Ribs in Eastern NC?  Since when?

The show has legs doesn't it?  I never thought it would last this long.  I really like the interaction with his two assistants.  Lots of love and respect there..Nice to see. 

BF must be a very good boss to work for.  You can't have all these ventures going at once without people who you can rely on.  You only get that dedication, if you are a good boss and good to your employees.  

I noticed that when his dessert guy left to go out on his own, they still had a good relationship and appeared on several shows. 
    waiterhell
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:Bobby Flay vs. Ed Mitchell - BBQ rib Throwdown in Raleigh 2009/03/16 04:04:41 (permalink)
    North Carolina 'Q....eastern or western style......has never been so much about ribs; more whole hog in the east and pork butt (shoulder) in the west.

BBQ ribs are more of a Memphis icon.
    brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1099
    Re:Bobby Flay vs. Ed Mitchell - BBQ rib Throwdown in Raleigh 2009/03/16 09:14:10 (permalink)
    I too enjoy "Throwdown". It's also clever marketing by the Food Network and it gives local talent a moment in the spotlight, something they might not otherwise get. An excellent example being  the "Puffy Taco" lady from San Antonio. I don't think Bobby cares if he wins these contests or not. I think he's having a ball.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1